Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The early 2010s were also the peak of bought reviews and game journalist payola, it was unheard of for a AAA title to even score below a 90 in that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hitman 2016 is one of the best games of the last few years, definitely give it a spin.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

The early 2010s were also the peak of bought reviews and game journalist payola, it was unheard of for a AAA title to even score below a 90 in that era.

The early-mid 80s were arguably the absolute worst, back when computers still had a hobbyist streak to them and nobody wanted to potentially hurt the hobby by panning whatever turd Ken and Roberta Williams had just shat out.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

Hitman 2016 is one of the best games of the last few years, definitely give it a spin.

season 2 when

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Horizon Zero Dawn was so freaking good I wasn't even mad that Andromeda ended up being a trainwreck. Also FemShep is in the DLC that just came out, I'd recognize that smoky low voice anywhere!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

I mean but Jessica Chobot

She had bigger tits than Emily Wong, cmon man

Where’s that picture comparing the ME1, ME2 and ME3 female character models? Like everyone gained 2 cup sizes and an inch of heels between each game.

(everyone did because they reuse the same models)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Where’s that picture comparing the ME1, ME2 and ME3 female character models? Like everyone gained 2 cup sizes and an inch of heels between each game.

(everyone did because they reuse the same models)

It looked more to me like Shepard went no bra -> bra -> properly fitted and supportive bra. No defending the heels, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
They way they modeled Chobot's face makes her look really plasticy and straight down into the Uncanny Valley. Combined with her Vacuum Sealed pleather dress she looks like a real-doll.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Chobot's character in ME3 looks like she walked out of Oblivion.

"There goes ol Potato Head" Zaeed will say, "We had a guy like that back on a mission I did in the nether realms. Things went real bad when he fell into a pool of boiling oil that the mercs set up. I was the only one that made it out."

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I mean lol i didnt even know the plastic face lady was an IGN host or whatever. I dont look at IGN, gamer news is retarded and dumb.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cythereal posted:

Men share the same body, too. If you pay attention when MShep boinks Cortez or Kaidan, they have identical moles on their back in exactly the same place.

Yeah, it's hilariously lazy.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Guys I am a complete video game baby and I just finished a replay of ME:A and Arkham Knight. I don't know what video-type game to play next. I've always wanted to play through the Metal Gear Solid series but I'm also thinking about Hitman or Assassin's Creed. I've also never played Skyrim. This thread seems like the most viciously critical of the type of games I like without just playing FPSes and Madden, so what game should I play.

If you're looking for storyline+fps, Vampire: The Masquerade is some pretty good poo poo as long as you've downloaded the unofficial patch. It even feels like there's a New Game+ if you do your second run with a Malkavian.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Oh, I've played Bloodlines like 10 times. I'm dumb about technology but I was sufficiently invested to learn how to do stuff like replace the skins and the soundtrack files so I could be a suave Brujah killing people to Icon of Coil.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
play STALKER, dude

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Thor-Stryker posted:

If you're looking for storyline+fps, Vampire: The Masquerade is some pretty good poo poo as long as you've downloaded the unofficial patch. It even feels like there's a New Game+ if you do your second run with a Malkavian.

Do NOT Malkavian in the first run though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Malkavian is overrated. A few really great moments sprinkled among a whole lot of bad goth poetry.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Malkavian is overrated. A few really great moments sprinkled among a whole lot of bad goth poetry.

That's what makes it a gem though. You're 99% insane, but those small bits of insight make for an interesting tale. Looking closely at Malk conversations reveals a lot of foresight and attention to semantics woven with 'poetry' as you said. It's a great 'second run' experience after bumbling through the first as any other class.

It's writing that has character, to which Bioware's Sarcastic Hawke is probably the only main that even comes close to while in conversations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
All these years later, I still love that there’s an option to tell the Viscount that since it’s almost midnight technically the day can’t get any worse as the city he protects falls to chaos and he cradles the still warm body of his freshly murdered son.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
everyone having the same body type even takes away from storytelling/character development opportunities

in TW3 the first time you see Dijkstra he's a ugly, brutish, hulking fat guy who's one of four big crime bosses, which means that the player likely comes to expect certain characteristics and behaviors from him. So when he drops this speech:

"Mass mobilization, inciting peasants to take up their scythes, straighten them - where's the art in that? Much harder to build a strong state with healthy commerce, manufacturing, solid alliances, progressive science, and fair, independent courts that hand down just judgments. Vizimir and I managed to do just that - through years of loving hard work. I will not sit on my hands as that little poo poo squanders that. 'Radovid the Stern' my arse. Radovid the Witless, I'd say. Will you help me, Geralt?"

... it's this real cool revelation of hidden depths (for people like me who only played the third game) that would have a lot less impact had he been "generic NPC body with custom head"

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

The elderly mother character in Dragon Age 2 had an hourglass figure and like HH-cup breasts, so you know, I get it

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pattonesque posted:

everyone having the same body type even takes away from storytelling/character development opportunities

in TW3 the first time you see Dijkstra ...

It IS a little annoying that a lot of faces are shared between more minor quest NPCs even in Witcher 3, though it's obviously for budget reasons and they're still animated beautifully.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When the races look as good as they do in Witcher 3 I'll forgive reusing them.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think as high fidelity as games have gotten it's only gotten more jarring. To see even less variety in ME3, with upscaled art assets and the game looking good in other ways draws even more attention to the fact that they cut corners and didn't put much effort into NPCs at all. Like the stuff about in ME1-3 using the same bodies for everybody was annoying but not anywhere near as jarring and off putting as MEA having the same exact Asari face for every Asari character other than Peanut Butter.

I feel like with graphics the way they are now, you either need to spend 3-5 good years on development and have enough staff so you don't have poo poo like that, or you go lofi indie and make your game look like Borderlands or Life is Strange so you can give more character to the characters.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

im cute posted:

The elderly mother character in Dragon Age 2 had an hourglass figure and like HH-cup breasts, so you know, I get it

And she looks exactly the same once she's been turned into a horrifying flesh golem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

im cute posted:

So did the elderly grandma in DAO. And if the party strips down for the trial of faith thing, she has exactly the same figure, super large boobs (not droopy in the slightest), utterly non-supporting lingerie, and flawless white skin as the other women in the party who are young enough to be her granddaughters.

Guess magic's a preservative.

Still not as bad as Andromeda where there are only two asari faces in the entire game.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I think as high fidelity as games have gotten it's only gotten more jarring. To see even less variety in ME3, with upscaled art assets and the game looking good in other ways draws even more attention to the fact that they cut corners and didn't put much effort into NPCs at all. Like the stuff about in ME1-3 using the same bodies for everybody was annoying but not anywhere near as jarring and off putting as MEA having the same exact Asari face for every Asari character other than Peanut Butter.

I feel like with graphics the way they are now, you either need to spend 3-5 good years on development and have enough staff so you don't have poo poo like that, or you go lofi indie and make your game look like Borderlands or Life is Strange so you can give more character to the characters.

one small thing that modern BioWare games do that I hate is that they only use the cinematic camera for very important conversations -- all others are in the over-the-shoulder gameplay camera

I hate it because it automatically makes all those conversations and characters less memorable. I can recall minor NPCs from the first Dragon Age and I played that nigh-on eight years ago -- meanwhile I've already forgotten most every minor NPC from Andromeda

It's even a problem when the characters are interesting -- I didn't know what, say, Charter from Origins looked like or even that she's an elf despite the fact that she's a pretty important character

but, as you said, since every character has the same goddamn face this might be a strategic choice to take attention away from that. The original Mass Effect zoomed in on every conversation and had unique faces for even salarians and that game came out in TYOOL 2007

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’d give myself a killer bod if I were a wizard too

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

Hell, Morrigan's mom did.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

its a special nootropic blend i call dragon mindset

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ainsley McTree posted:

its a special nootropic blend i call dragon mindset

Flemeth's real name is Flemes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

im cute posted:

Hell, Morrigan's mom did.

Are we spoiling DAI? I mean shes a literal god she can do whatever the gently caress she wants

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Ainsley McTree posted:

This is a plot point in The Witcher universe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

How convenient that all the witches are just impossibly sexy babes that can’t keep their hands off our intrepid MC.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

exquisite tea posted:

How convenient that all the witches are just impossibly sexy babes that can’t keep their hands off our intrepid MC.

But don't worry, it's an important Plot Point in our serious game for grown ups!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The Yen relationship feels just dysfunctional enough to not be a straight power fantasy to me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
i see we've reached the "actually, witcher is bad" point of the cycle. it cannot be broken.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was lame when Bioware really, really wanted you to gently caress the sexy blue alien space babe for "plot-related" reasons too so y'know same old same old.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Witches are older than Geraldo and much wealthier and higher status so honestly it's more like sexual harassment in the monster investigating workplace.

Also Triss tries to roofie you in the Witcher 2.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The sex stuff in Witcher 3 is about as immature as the sex stuff in game of thrones (and by that I mean very immature) but I find it hard to care about it one way or the other. It's just kind of there.

Geralt's and Yen's relationship was pretty well written though.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you’re going to make a video game, your going to get some immature horniness in there. No way around it