Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Majorian posted:

Time to get your catheters ready, Dems.

Nah. You just have to get a republican bathroom buddy.

This is the Actual Bathroom Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

OAquinas posted:

Nah. You just have to get a republican bathroom buddy.

This is the Actual Bathroom Bill.

So in other words, in order to make a motion, you need a second?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Quorum posted:

So I'm back at my computer and I've got actual thoughts on this now. 1) First, again, still a prediction based on how recounts turn out, so adjust your expectations accordingly. 2) Second, while fly-by-night procedural tricks are definitely a possibility with the House of Delegates locked in deadlock, the Republicans actually have less incentive to do this than Democrats do, because any bill that passes the House still has to pass the Senate, which remains in 31-29 Republican control, and then be signed by a Governor Northam who is surely not interested in signing bullshit. The Senate has also proven more willing to deal with Democrats on certain matters, like redistricting reform. 3) Third, the last time this happened, the Democrats got the Speakership because one of the Republican delegates was late being seated; if that happens again, whichever party has the advantage is going to get the Speakership, and I don't expect as much collegiality in the chamber as there was in 1997. If both parties are at parity when the session is seated in January, I honestly don't know what will happen, as it'll depend on their power sharing negotiations, which I don't doubt are already going on behind the scenes in the event it officially turns out in a tie. We might see a consensus, outside Speaker, or the Governor might bribe one of the weakest Delegates and/or Senators in the Republican caucus with a plum position to sway the balance of power (that's happened before). I don't know, and neither does anybody else! Whee! It's likely to be interesting enough that there might be call for a thread to keep discussing Virginia stuff (and maybe DC/Maryland also) after the elections of this year are over and done, honestly.

Republicans first gained control of the WA state senate by offering certain moderate/right-leaning democrats top positions if they caucused with the Republicans instead. Power-sharing agreements can do weird-rear end poo poo.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Quorum posted:

So in other words, in order to make a motion, you need a second?

Hell, if you want to pass anything at all.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You laughed at Turning Points USA for diaping up to own the libs, but who's laughing now?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Nov 14, 2017

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/930236852266848256

https://twitter.com/LOLGOP/status/930279691205914624

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Not smart to deny even knowing her when she loving has proof that you did, dumbass.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alter Ego posted:

Not smart to deny even knowing her when she loving has proof that you did, dumbass.

He's banking on his base being post-truth.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Hey guys! Get excited! In 2018, there will be credible challengers to Paul Ryan on the ballot! :yayclod:

Randy Bryce (IronStache) is an ironworker, labor activist, Army veteran, Caledonia resident (suburb of Racine, Wisconsin) who is the favorite to win the Democratic primary. He was just endorsed by Bernie Sanders today. I like him, he's from my hometown, he's got mad Twitter game, and best of all, he's running on a good platform.

Randy Bryce's issue page posted:

Instead of fighting for a Single Payer Health Care system that will ensure that all of us can be healthy and receive treatment, Speaker Ryan is working on taking health care away from up to 32 million Americans, while giving huge tax cuts to billionaires and millionaires.

Instead of Fighting for Working People and lifting the economic floor by fighting for a $15 minimum wage, investments in our workforce, and support for organized labor and tax fairness, Speaker Ryan has presided over the erosion of our economy across Southeastern Wisconsin over the past 20 years, as unfair trade deals, the loss of manufacturing jobs and failure to jumpstart the industries of the future have hollowed out our economy.

Instead of committing our country to reversing Climate Change, investing in renewable energy, and protecting the environment, Speaker Ryan is standing in the way of progress, applauding as the US retreats from an international commitment to preserve our planet.

Instead of defending Women’s Health Care and Reproductive Rights, Speaker Ryan wants to strip away a woman’s right to choose, and access to basic health care like mammograms, cancer screenings and birth control.

Instead of committing to real Campaign Finance Reform that empowers people—like overturning the destructive Citizens United decision, standing up to cynical voter suppression efforts, and increasing participation in our democracy—Speaker Ryan is defending a damaged status quo that coddles corporations, the rich and the powerful.

Instead of pursuing Comprehensive Immigration Reform, Speaker Ryan has accepted a broken system that continues to tear families apart and goes against everything our country stands for and has sat idly by while our neighbors—his constituents—right here in Southeast Wisconsin live in fear of deportation.

His opponent in the primary is Cathy Myers (CathyMyersWI), a resident of Janesville, which is Paul Ryan's hometown. She is a member of the Janesville School Board, and a local activist for helping alcoholics and those addicted to drugs. She seems like a nice lady, though she has a lower media profile than Bryce.

Her issues page is in a format that is harder to quote, but please take a look. Overall these candidates are running on fairly similar platforms, and either one of them would be good candidates I would be happy with. Bryce likely has a better chance to actually beat Ryan, and is more likely to win the primary as things are currently going, but still, this is not an establishment/outsider kind of primary like the VA Gov was.

Anyone who is from Wisconsin or otherwise interested, get excited! Both of these people are cool and have a chance to unseat our garbage Speaker of the House. :patriot:

Edit: I made this post to tell people to vote in the primary, specifically. Go vote in the primary!

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 14, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lightning Knight posted:

Hey guys! Get excited! In 2018, there will be credible challengers to Paul Ryan on the ballot! :yayclod:

Randy Bryce (IronStache) is an ironworker, labor activist, Army veteran, Caledonia resident (suburb of Racine, Wisconsin) who is the favorite to win the Democratic primary. He was just endorsed by Bernie Sanders today. I like him, he's from my hometown, he's got mad Twitter game, and best of all, he's running on a good platform.

His opponent in the primary is Cathy Myers (CathyMyersWI), a resident of Janesville, which is Paul Ryan's hometown. She is a member of the Janesville School Board, and a local activist for helping alcoholics and those addicted to drugs. She seems like a nice lady, though she has a lower media profile than Bryce.

Her issues page is in a format that is harder to quote, but please take a look. Overall these candidates are running on fairly similar platforms, and either one of them would be good candidates I would be happy with. Bryce likely has a better chance to actually beat Ryan, and is more likely to win the primary as things are currently going, but still, this is not an establishment/outsider kind of primary like the VA Gov was.

Anyone who is from Wisconsin or otherwise interested, get excited! Both of these people are cool and have a chance to unseat our garbage Speaker of the House. :patriot:

Edit: I made this post to tell people to vote in the primary, specifically. Go vote in the primary!

Worth noting that both of these candidates are basically running in spite of the state party rather than through any maneuvering of the part. The WisDems are still as incompetent as ever.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

cis autodrag posted:

Worth noting that both of these candidates are basically running in spite of the state party rather than through any maneuvering of the part. The WisDems are still as incompetent as ever.

why is that worth mentioning

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

Is Mike Tate still running that joint? He was the dumb fucker that thought running Tom Barrett in the Walker recall was the best the party could do.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

If the state party was maneuvering a candidate through the primary wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

why is that worth mentioning

So that people might realize it needs fixing? Why is that statement worth questioning?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

So that people might realize it needs fixing? Why is that statement worth questioning?

Wait you really think the state democratic party should be supporting primary candidates?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Wait you really think the state democratic party should be supporting primary candidates?

Not really, but I can believe they're incompetent.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Cerebral Bore posted:

Not really, but I can believe they're incompetent.

Oh yeah, that's a good guess generally.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He's banking on his base being post-truth.

Just heard an interview with an Alabama pastor on NPR, and his base is definitely post-truth. It was all, "I believe in Roy Moore", "Washington post is liberal news", "Republicans and Democrats are out to get him" crap. Big thing is will 15-20% of his base believe the women enough to not vote for him. That's probably how many need to sit home for Jones to win.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

the state party planned to let ryan run uncontested. that there are any primary candidates at all is unusual, because the wisdems are bad at recruiting.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/geoffreyvs/status/930639519673659392?s=17

Dem pick up in OK senate, will go to recount.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

farraday posted:

Dem pick up in OK senate, will go to recount.

Any info on who won, what kind of campaign they ran, and where they stand on the issues?

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Lightning Knight posted:

Any info on who won, what kind of campaign they ran, and where they stand on the issues?

http://www.ally4ok.com/

http://tulsabeacon.com/senate-candidate-a-democrat-is-married-to-another-woman/

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Wow, neat. Thanks! She seems cool and good, I hope she does well. :)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Lightning Knight posted:

Allison Ikley-Freeman
http://www.ally4ok.com/issues

quote:

Education
Oklahomans deserve access to quality public education from birth to death, and to achieve that we have to increase funding for public education programs.

Health Care and Mental Health
Far too many Oklahomans feel unable to go to the doctor when they don't feel well, and even more are not receiving regular preventive care or even seeing the same doctor twice. For mental health, the stigma is more than just preventing people from seeking services, its preventing our state from adequately funding those services too.

OKDHS and Housing
In 2016 OKDHS announced it was temporarily suspending its Daycare assistance program due to running out of money. They report about 2,000 families apply for this service each month. That is 2,000 Oklahoma parents struggling with childcare while they work or attend school; which is unacceptable. Tulsa and Oklahoma City are 'Built for Zero' cities, which means they are a part of an initiative to end chronic homelessness. However the current expected wait for help from Tulsa Housing Authority is 6-12 months. With Oklahoma City Housing Authority, application processing take 2-4 weeks. If you call about emergency housing they will quickly tell you, there is none in Oklahoma.

Accountability and Outcome Measurements for Safety
Oklahoma continues to make national new for officer involved shootings. We need state laws to provide oversight and accountability when it comes to officer involved shootings. But we also need outcome measurements on the overall safety of minority populations in Oklahoma. If we want to continue attracting growth and change, everyone needs to feel safe in Oklahoma.

Tax breaks, Infrastructure, and Renewable Energy
Speaking of growth and change, when we continue to let large businesses have incentives with lower tax rates we stifle our growth.

The American Society of Civil Engineers rates our roads as C- many Oklahomans in rural areas would quickly contest this rating as generous.

Oklahoma was built on the Oil and Gas industry, and for many Oklahomans; it still puts food on the table. As the world moves forward when know these resources are becoming more limited and working against us in the long run. However Oklahoma currently penalizes homeowners for utilizing solar energy for their homes. We need to encourage a smooth transition to renewable energy to keep our Earth healthy and our economy stable.

She seems pretty good on the issues, and seems local. I don't live in Oklahoma so another goon can chime in, but based on her platform that's a hell of a win in Trump +39.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Education is huge in Oklahoma right now. Governor Falin has absolutely ripped up public funding for education over the last few years and it's showing, so people are getting angry at the Republicans over that and opening a door for Democrats to make a move. Turns out you can win white middle class suburbs when they can visibly see their children suffering due to lack of public funding for teachers/facilities/paper/whatever

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FaustianQ posted:

Allison Ikley-Freeman
http://www.ally4ok.com/issues

She seems pretty good on the issues, and seems local. I don't live in Oklahoma so another goon can chime in, but based on her platform that's a hell of a win in Trump +39.
holy christ this platform has so many typos

"Oklahoma continues to make national new for officer involved shootings."

I mean she won so I can't complain but it really bothers me when people have such amateur-hour websites :(

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me-palm-springs-lgbt-council-20171115-story.html

Palm Springs elects an all-LGBTQ City Council, showing the power of gay politics

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The Glumslinger posted:

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-me-palm-springs-lgbt-council-20171115-story.html

Palm Springs elects an all-LGBTQ City Council, showing the power of gay politics

They should start the first meeting with a presentation of their Gay Agenda.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Jamelle Bouie writes in Slate about Northam's victory in Virginia, and how it could apply as a lesson to the upcoming special election in Alabama.

tl:dr high black turnout helped Northam a great deal in Virginia, and could provide a path to victory for Jones.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

theflyingorc posted:

They should start the first meeting with a presentation of their Gay Agenda.

Whatever the agenda is for the first meeting will, by default, be a Gay Agenda. :colbert:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

tl:dr high black turnout helped Northam a great deal in Virginia, and could provide a path to victory for Jones.

northam did about as well with black voters as hillary last year (gillespie gained 3 points over trump) but significantly better among whites, while turnout was roughly the same

i mean sure, match presidential election turnout in an off-off year election and the dems stand a chance, but that's not really a major revelation

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
It’s not that it’s revelatory, it’s that it offers hope. :yayclod:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
uhhh...

https://twitter.com/DanielStrauss4/status/930887318466154496

:stare:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think there's usually one or two polls that are off by ten or more points but even if this is the extreme outlier that means the race is tied. In Alabama. And, statistically speaking, any individual poll is unlikely to be the outlier so this is insane.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

cheetah7071 posted:

I think there's usually one or two polls that are off by ten or more points but even if this is the extreme outlier that means the race is tied. In Alabama. And, statistically speaking, any individual poll is unlikely to be the outlier so this is insane.

Internal party polling is USUALLY better than randos, I think.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

It’s not that it’s revelatory, it’s that it offers hope. :yayclod:

reminds me there was an article on either 538 or maybe from william frey at brookings from before last year's election positing that faster-growing southern states (va, nc, ga, fl, tx in roughly that order) are going to become the next democratic stronghold while the rust belt becomes solidly republican

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Internal party polling is USUALLY better than randos, I think.

On the other hand, leaked polls usually exist to drive a narrative. In this case that Moore should drop out. So I'm a bit skeptical. Still :stare:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

axeil posted:

On the other hand, leaked polls usually exist to drive a narrative. In this case that Moore should drop out. So I'm a bit skeptical. Still :stare:

I wish we lived in a world where it wasn't surprising that child molesters lose elections.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/krystalball/status/930836607921303552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is that the kind of thing that smacks of electoral fraud or does that happen all the time by accident and we never notice in races that aren't super close?

• Locked thread