Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Since it's my birthday and I have cash money, I'm going in with Underhive, Gang War, and both of the card sets.

If you're looking for a fairly cheap but accessible set I recommend Pegasus Hobbies Hexagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FWIW the GW site says that Gang War still needs the boxed set to play.

That's hosed

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, totally hosed that you need the base game to use the expansion rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBCq8XDgrP0

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Spend $155 to play Necromunda, lol. It's my favorite game GW ever made but I may just skip it. Ugh, what a buzzkill

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

muggins posted:

Spend $155 to play Necromunda, lol. It's my favorite game GW ever made but I may just skip it. Ugh, what a buzzkill

Use the rules for the old edition then, they're easy enough to find online.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Yep, I have those in book form, I was just hoping this was 'new gw'

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

muggins posted:

Yep, I have those in book form, I was just hoping this was 'new gw'

eBay is your friend. Most of the big box stuff gets split up, particularly around release time. You shouldn't have trouble picking up the book for :10bux:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

FWIW the GW site says that Gang War still needs the boxed set to play.

That's a big let down if true. I don't need another board game, I just wanted alternating activations Necromunda.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

alg posted:

That's a big let down if true. I don't need another board game, I just wanted alternating activations Necromunda.

Its true. Ebay the rules, find someone who has the box or suck it up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There will almost certainly be a rulebook available separately in a month or two. SWA did the same thing, they just don't announce it because the hard sale usually leads the economy sale.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

There will almost certainly be a rulebook available separately in a month or two. SWA did the same thing, they just don't announce it because the hard sale usually leads the economy sale.
They still don't have the Blood Bowl rules available separately.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Aren't they the same rules as the old LRB though?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
The fact that you can jump through the hoops to get around product packaging (or however the "one trick consumers hate" where you sell a thing that only works with some other thing is called) does not invalidate the complaint that it sucks as a business practice.

Well, good thing I'm an idiot who's getting the box on cheap anyways, and Gang War is an optional purchase down the road.

Also, as my yesterday's BB match showed, having 3 rulebooks to flip through is total rear end.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

dexefiend posted:

Who else has their gangs ready to go?

Oh these jerks need repainted hard...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh I have more questions for anyone who read WD. Looking at the sprues online and pics of painted models it looks like there aren't any juves. Does anyone know if that's a concept they scrapped or if it's just something they haven't\couldn't cover with the new models?

I always liked juve models living up to their name by being literal teenagers. They were a pretty good representation of inexperienced pledges and if I remember right they could end up stronger than regular gangers.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
As my group’s regular Necro campaign GM, I’m excited to see what possibilities the board game holds. If you can use the same gangs seamlessly from one to the other (stats and skills work the same way or have ‘translations’ that make them have the same overall effect) then I think it will be really cool to have another tabletop setting in which to execute scenarios. I’ve tried a number of options before like using space hulk tiles and it hasn’t really worked.

Edit: I still haven’t pre-ordered it. I know enough people who have and I’m going to play Shadespire until we know how good the game is.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Oh I have more questions for anyone who read WD. Looking at the sprues online and pics of painted models it looks like there aren't any juves. Does anyone know if that's a concept they scrapped or if it's just something they haven't\couldn't cover with the new models?

I always liked juve models living up to their name by being literal teenagers. They were a pretty good representation of inexperienced pledges and if I remember right they could end up stronger than regular gangers.

Well, someone mentioned that Juvies are in the Gang wars book, so it exists as a concept.

As a miniature... Duncan's Escher video said that all hands are interchangeable, so GW probably did away with teen Juvies to streamline the sprues. Also, rear end covering, because some mom might be terrified that tabletop games might lead to gang violence or whatever. That's my conspiracy why Slaanesh, prince of excess only have music-based troops.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Safety Factor posted:

They still don't have the Blood Bowl rules available separately.

Wrong. Granted, it's not the best format, but the rules are available on their own.

And, again, Ebay will have rules, and someone will scan them and put them online within a week of release. It's not optimum, but they will be available, if you spend a few minutes looking for them.

BoLS has some interesting fluff tidbits available:

quote:

So Squats are confirmed in Necromunda Underhive. Mentioned right there in black and white and grey in the section on Hive Palatine. Right above them you’ll find the Adeptus Arbites, and right next to them are Eldar, housed in distinct levels of Hive Primus when they visit. This can only mean one thing: Squats are definitely going to be a new army and we should all get hyped about their return, setting our expectations meteorically high. With that in mind, here’s a few other cool/weird facts buried in the lore segments of Necromunda Underhive.

Hive Secundus was once the second largest city on Necromunda. Then it became infested with Genestealers and their beautiful progeny. Unable to drive the tyranid creatures from the face of the planet, this Hive is cordoned off–surrounded by a “ring of steel” manned by millions of gangers and pdf troops in order to keep the threat contained within Hive Secundus. I mention this because we all know how GW likes to hide things in plain sight. If there’s a living, breathing Tyranid presence on Necromunda–is it possible that they’re teasing out more factions for the game? Maybe this is a hint we’ll see some GSC faction support later on.

Gothrul’s Needle: The most hated and feared hive of them all, because it is a functional democracy that actually gets things done and treats citizens equally and fairly regardless of wealth, standing, or social class. And obviously we can’t have that. It’d tear down the whole Imperium. Currently engaged in a proxy shadow war with the spymasters of House Delaque, but they just won’t give up the fight.

The Skull: A ruined Hive City that was lost to Ork Invasion. It was occupied for an “unspecified time” by Ork Raiders, which means that the place is lousy with Ork spores, and it’s only a matter of time before they erupt from the ruined Hive to raid the face of Necromunda. Appears to be a skull from far away, because it was pierced by these holes that were blasted in it during a war with the Orks. Abandoned, feared, and shunned. Definitely not occupied by secret Orks.

Forbidden Cities. This is a network of tunnels that riddle the planet, connecting Hive to Hive to Hive, it’s rumored. Here you’ll find the largest and most reliable source for the most important drug on Necromuda–spook. This is made from fouled corpse-starch that has decayed over the centuries. Harvested by gangers who dare risk the hostile environs, this place is home to monsters and worse.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Huh. So they're expanding Necromunda to be the entire world, and not just a single hive. I'm not sure I like it, but I'm open to what it could mean.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh. So they're expanding Necromunda to be the entire world, and not just a single hive. I'm not sure I like it, but I'm open to what it could mean.

Probably just opening it up to additional gangs/hired guns/expansions. And the world is called Necromunda - NM the game always took place in Hive Primus (with the exception of Outlanders, of course.)

And, just wishful thinking on my part, maybe some Ork on Ork action in Da' Skull à la Gorkamorka? Wouldn't that be grand? :orks101:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Nov 15, 2017

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

berzerkmonkey posted:

And, just wishful thinking on my part, maybe some Ork on Ork action in Da' Skull à la Gorkamorka? Wouldn't that be grand? :orks101:

I could see them releasing Ork wars as a white dwarf article or as part of a supplement. If they don't need to make miniatures it can only benefit them. I can see them eventually bringing in a squat box which would double as a unit in 40k (i'm not up to date on 40k lore but i'm sure they could fudge in allegiance to imperial guard or Tau maybe).

The next supplement that they're working on is most likely cultists though.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Who said you're leaving the hive? Orks go where the fight is :orks101:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MrFlibble posted:

I can see them eventually bringing in a squat box which would double as a unit in 40k (i'm not up to date on 40k lore but i'm sure they could fudge in allegiance to imperial guard or Tau maybe).
I think it would be more likely that we would see a Squat hired gun, rather than a whole gang. I think most of the 40K races would be like that, since they would be way too powerful for a standard human to take on. We'll see stuff like an Eldar sniper, Squat Enginseer/Tech, maybe an Alpha Legion operative leading some Delaque or something. Other than GSC or Orks, I think it will be one-offs from FW.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Palatine is the Hive from Conflict isn't it?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Easily see a Gene Cult gang, the average Cultist isn't far off from a ganger in terms of combat prowess bar the whole psychic mindlink thing so they'd be an easy fit, maybe with an exclusive Purestrain Hired Gun like in Shadow War.

Really like the fleshing out of Necromunda as a planet in this edition, giving me Judge Dredd vibes with each Hive being radically different.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think it would be more likely that we would see a Squat hired gun, rather than a whole gang.

This is fine too.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Personally I'm really looking forward to the Chaos Cult gang they mentioned.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Personally I'm really looking forward to shooting the Chaos Cult gang they mentioned.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Personally I'm really looking forward to purging the Chaos Cult gang they mentioned.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Personally I'm really looking forward to the Chaos Cult gang they mentioned.

:evilbuddy:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
lmao if you aren’t excited for arbites

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm just so pumped to make my roller derby Eshers and my orc cosplaying Goliath Clan

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
DIGGANOBZ

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm debating how to make it obvious that they are using green body paint.

Right now my plan is to use bare swatches where they cant reach and where there would be rub, with some sweat tracks as well.

My esher will have roots showing with dyed hair and train tracks.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Eifert Posting posted:

Right now my plan is to use bare swatches where they cant reach and where there would be rub, with some sweat tracks as well.

I painted an ogre for my orc bloodbowl team like that (leaving a patch at the back where he wouldn't be able to reach and a bit under the arms). Duncan recommends using the same shade as the normal skin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqP8A-jv8mE

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Eifert Posting posted:

Not too hard, Digganobz were always depicted with green paint on their heads, hands and half their forearms only. Just remember to leave a little human flesh showing around the eyes too.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone happen to have the white base labels for the Skaven Blood Bowl teamthat they're not going to use?

I want to pick up the FW dudes, but not having them match the rest of my team would drive me bonkers.

I'm willing to trade money or other transfers I have (Space Marines and Orks) for them.

Next step after that is converting myself up a Kreek "The Verminator" Rustgouger.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Well I'm still gonna do it.

Some folks did an Underhive campaign on youtube and it made Goliath look like it was absolutely outclassing Esher.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Some folks did an Underhive campaign on youtube and it made Goliath look like it was absolutely outclassing Esher.

I suppose that will depend on terrain. If Goliath can get into melee they're going to absolutely paste Esher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Remember that some players can suck. I'm an expert at not being a good player across systems.