Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
But does Mochi want to meet you?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Gonna be a step back with no racecar bed

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
I'm heading to Korea on October 19 for about two weeks. I've got a few nights booked in Seoul (Hongdae) but nothing else planned. Current route is Seoul-Sokcho-Busan. My primary interests are eating and hiking. Two questions: are there any craft beer spots I should check out? And does anyone have a favorite place to hike/look at autumnn colors? Thanks.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Gunstav posted:

I'm heading to Korea on October 19 for about two weeks. I've got a few nights booked in Seoul (Hongdae) but nothing else planned. Current route is Seoul-Sokcho-Busan. My primary interests are eating and hiking. Two questions: are there any craft beer spots I should check out? And does anyone have a favorite place to hike/look at autumnn colors? Thanks.

I don't know how rough of a hike you want, but this has always been pretty nice, despite the rest of the city being kinda crappy. close to seoul, too.

http://on-walkabout.net/2016/05/31/best-hikes-korea-hwaseong-fortress-trail/

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Gunstav posted:

If you're hitting up Sokcho, you are pretty much obligated to hit up Seorak Mountain -- the colors there should be pretty great and it's pretty much where all the pictures of Korean mountains come from. It can be a tough hike though.

Busan has a few mountains too. Jangsan is fun, Geumnyeongsan is pretty easy and not very crowded. Geumjeong should be gorgeous too.

Honestly, all of Korea is mostly mountains, so there's not really any point you can't just go find one to climb. Pretty much all of them by cities will have some sort of hiking trail, and they all have wonderful views. Haven't found a mountain here I don't like yet.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I can't speak for Seoul, but in terms of craft beer the best bets in Busan are Wild Waves, Galmegi (PNU location is the best imo), and Gorilla. Abnormal is also an option, though I haven't been there myself as I tend to avoid Haeundae.

Slice of Life Pizza has several different ones on tap, but if you go to Seoul first it will be from most of the Seoul based brewers.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Seoul's main hike is Bukhansan.

Seoraksan, near Sokcho, is the country's best mountain in Autumn or in general. There are routes with different levels of difficulty. The most stunning is the Gongryongnuengseon/Dinosaur Ridge, but it's also the most difficult one I did in Korea (I did all the most famous ones and a ton of not-so-famous ones). To do it, follow the signs toward Biseondae, then after the bridge where the trail forks, go right. When you finish the ridge you can either go right to the main peak of the mountain (if you still have time and energy) or left to descend through a gorgeous valley full of cascading waterfalls.

Whenever I did that route, I always started well before sunrise. Like around 3 am. It's not necessary, but it lets you watch the sunrise over the sea and all the craggy ridges. Best view in the country imo.

If you want something easier, Ulsanbawi is a more casual hike in the park which also has a nice view. I'd recommend still swinging by the valley full of waterfalls afterward though. Just head toward Biseondae as if you were going to do the hike I mentioned above, but take a left instead of a right after the bridge.

From Sokcho to Busan there are a few options for one day stops you could choose between, if you have the time. Youngju has a really cool old Confucian school/village (Seonbichon) and one of the nicest old weathered temples (Buseoksa) in Korea. Gyeongju is probably the most famous historical city with a park full of giant tomb mounds. Ulsan doesn't have much special but it is near the Youngnam Alps which has some really lovely fields of golden reeds in Autumn.

Busan owns and has a poo poo ton of stuff to do, but isn't likely to have Autumn colors yet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tongdosa temple is the coolest thing to see in the Ulsan area, and is out west by the Yeongnam Alps so you can do it all together. It's one of the Official Big Deal temples in Korea.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Does anyone wanna help a former Korea goon (me) recover some game accounts, stupid government locks online accounts if they're dormant for like 180 days of something :cry:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Teikanmi posted:

Does anyone wanna help a former Korea goon (me) recover some game accounts, stupid government locks online accounts if they're dormant for like 180 days of something :cry:
You need a way of identifying yourself (generally a phone number). So I don't think anyone can help you.

Chimie
Nov 22, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

They usually Purge all information after 1 year of inactivity. How long has it been?

Gunstav
Nov 27, 2006
Anyone in Busan for the fireworks tonight? Hit me up to grab a soju afterwords.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Looks like tonight is Halloween night -- everybody's heading to Itaewon and HBC

edit-- trip report: everybody was either a zombie or a disney princess. not as fun as i thought it'd be. one guy was jogging around HBC dressed as Richard Simmons. that was the only highlight.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 29, 2017

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Gunstav posted:

Anyone in Busan for the fireworks tonight? Hit me up to grab a soju afterwords.

Just finished swimming through the crowd at the fireworks festival, be there soon~

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Wandering around Ciutat Vella this afternoon, I suddenly heard Korean being sung and tried to track down the source. Found an Asian snack-shop with whose Korean cashier was dancing and singing along to the new Twice video on a loop.

Surreal moment. Made me feel homesick.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

did you likey? you likey likey?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Me likey likey likey

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

두근두근두근

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

A Bump for those not in the Kakao chat, It'll be next Saturday so make your reservations on the spreadsheet now!

nullscan posted:

It's time for the SUPER no effort Thanksgooning post 2k17! IF YOU THOUGHT WE HIT THE BOTTOM, WE AINT DONE DIGGING!

First off, SIGN UP ON THE SPREADSHEET HERE IF YOU ARE EVEN PONDERING SHOWING UP! Better to have too much than not enough food!

When is this shindig?
This year, due to some jerk getting married on the weekend after real Thanksgiving, we'll be pushing it back to the first weekend of December, so on the 2nd put on your fat boy pants and come on down!

We'll be setting up and cooking around 2 or earlier, so just show up whenever? Food will be served around 6 to 7. Also, all are free to come the Friday before and help cook or just crash out at my place. I have plenty of room and blankets!

MENU
This year will be a repeat of last year. Meats (Turkeys, Hams) will be catered in, Popeyes, Arbys, Murican Taco Bell, what the hell ever. Special guest chefs will be in attendance to do whatever they feel like cooking up as well. As allways, that being said, if anyone wants to bring something or come over the day before and help cook, you're more than welcome, just note it on the spreadsheet!

How many bitcoins is this going to run me?
Previous Turkeyparties have ran donations-only, generally 10k to 15k won a head is typical.

If you don't have any cash don't let that be a deterrent though, tis the season for feeding freeloaders and I'll make up the difference.

Where's it at?
We're back down in SONGTAAAAN
Easiest way from Seoul is the bus from Nambu to Songtan Terminal, by train it's Line 1 at Songtan Station.
From there, you can _try_ and say "Town Sweet", the name of the neighborhood, but more than likely you'll have to say "Han-il Apartment" which is just up the road. Also, if you find the Green 55 bus, that drops off right at Han-il apartment as well.

Here's a map link:
http://naver.me/FYhbA556

And here's the address:
297-9 Dokgok-dong, Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 평택시 독곡동 297-9

Accommodations!
As always, goons are free to crash on the floor/about the house if they desire. There are also a few motels in the area as well as the Grand Sauna which is actually pretty grand if that's your jam. If you're coming from out of town and need help just ask in thread or Kakao and we'll figure something out!

Allergwarnings

I do still have Goon Favorite cat Pablo and standoffish priss Beyori. I'll be sure to do a good cleanup the days before to limit cat dander and hair, and will also have allergy medication on hand if it gets too much for anyone. ALSO NEW PUPPER MOCHI!

(pupper may have grown considerably)

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017
I'm trying to decide at the moment between working ski resorts in japan or working for a friend of a friend in seoul on a working holiday visa. I'd prefer korea because i have a couple of friends living there but neither live in seoul, so the main thing I'm worried about is finding accomodation. Is it going to be impossible or incredibly expensive trying to find somewhere to live while on I'm guessing close to minimum wage? I'm not looking to make money or anything I just want to take a 6month-1 year break from where I live in Australia, due to a few lovely things that have happened the past year. I'm struggling to find much information on the subject really, obviously i don't speak korean (yet) lol.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I can't speak for Korea, but I have a friend working in Sapporo and he loves it. However, during the season, you basically can never travel and the resort is an infrequent 1.5 hour bus ride from the city center.

TreFitty
Jan 18, 2003

keirharder posted:

I'm trying to decide at the moment between working ski resorts in japan or working for a friend of a friend in seoul on a working holiday visa. I'd prefer korea because i have a couple of friends living there but neither live in seoul, so the main thing I'm worried about is finding accomodation. Is it going to be impossible or incredibly expensive trying to find somewhere to live while on I'm guessing close to minimum wage? I'm not looking to make money or anything I just want to take a 6month-1 year break from where I live in Australia, due to a few lovely things that have happened the past year. I'm struggling to find much information on the subject really, obviously i don't speak korean (yet) lol.
Goshiwons are everywhere if you're cool with those:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2fSxCsPHC4

Expect in Seoul that you'll be paying closer to $500-600 though for one of a decent size and with a window, though. I think. I never really checked.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Maybe a strange question but I figure someone here might have some idea -- I am looking to update my turntable setup and am in need of speaker suggestions. Preferably options that are readily available in Korea. Either powered speakers or a small amp and passive speakers. I've looked around for the usual budget suggestions from overseas but pretty much everything I have found requires importing via Gmarket and if at all possible I would like to avoid that. I found an amp/speaker combo from what seems to be a Korean brand, Bitway, but after trying to buy it from three different Gmarket sellers only to have it canceled, I've given up on that. Anyone with any experience?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

guri posted:

Maybe a strange question but I figure someone here might have some idea -- I am looking to update my turntable setup and am in need of speaker suggestions. Preferably options that are readily available in Korea. Either powered speakers or a small amp and passive speakers. I've looked around for the usual budget suggestions from overseas but pretty much everything I have found requires importing via Gmarket and if at all possible I would like to avoid that. I found an amp/speaker combo from what seems to be a Korean brand, Bitway, but after trying to buy it from three different Gmarket sellers only to have it canceled, I've given up on that. Anyone with any experience?

I know where some audio stores are in Yongsan, Seoul, if you're into wholesale/retail stuff. As for second-hand, I'd suggest Craigslist personally. Most people there are short-term foreigners who are moving back to their home country and so they want to get rid of all of their stuff that they don't need or can't ship home.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Sorry everyone, just got notice that I am going to be busy at work on the 2nd and will be unable to host goonsgiving this year. I will try to put together something for Christmas instead. I am very sorry, but I will get people Turkey and stuffing at some point.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
goonsgiving is dead, long live goonsgiving! sorry again jess, that super blows

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

TreFitty posted:

Goshiwons are everywhere if you're cool with those:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2fSxCsPHC4

Expect in Seoul that you'll be paying closer to $500-600 though for one of a decent size and with a window, though. I think. I never really checked.

goshiwons might be the way to go, i see there’s a few airbnb places that are only $35 a night so worst case that will get me through the first few weeks.

my friend reckons i’ll easily get work as a cook/kitchen hand in a foreign owned kitchen there (i’m a chef here at home and there’s certainly plenty of work here). i’m a bit worried though so i’m thinking i might just plan on a month in korea and if i find work i’ll stay longer otherwise i’ll just enjoy a holiday. ive moved overseas before a few times but it’s a little scary going somewhere completely new basically alone. exciting though!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have no idea about getting a job like that but Seoul is not a difficult city, there's nothing to worry about in that respect. Learn the alphabet before you arrive. You can get by in Seoul in English without much trouble but being able to read is a big plus and it's not difficult.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

I have no idea about getting a job like that but Seoul is not a difficult city, there's nothing to worry about in that respect. Learn the alphabet before you arrive. You can get by in Seoul in English without much trouble but being able to read is a big plus and it's not difficult.

thanks that is reassuring, i’ve done japan three times now, which i loved despite learning only basic japanese and kana. i’ve just started learning the korean alphabet now so in the next ten weeks i should hopefully have a very basic understanding. will be nice to pick up a bit more of them language while i’m there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hangeul is a lot easier than kana, you'll have it down in a day or two and have plenty of time for basic vocabulary. I learned to read on the plane ride over, and it's immediately helpful because like half of Korean is English loanwords (though they often have a completely unrelated meaning, beware). Seoul is Japan-level simple. I'd say easier, Japan's gotten better with English since the first time I visited but Seoul still has more. Also the train station signage is 10000% better.

Once you get out of Seoul you better speak basic Korean though.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
welcome 2 seoul. goshiwon will definitely be your best bet although on facebook there are often rooms for rent going for quite cheap with other foreigners. alternatively sharehouses often have a system where you do basic chores or customer service in exchange for room and board. that's something to consider while you're job searching. i also recommend having an unlocked phone with you so you can just pop a prepaid SIM in right away and have a phone number where people can reach you.

having basic korean skills will take you a lot farther than not though, so like grand fromage said, study up before you get here so you can WOW~ any potential employers with your 안녕하세요 제 이름은 외국인입니다.

also i came to korea on a working holiday visa and was recruited for a professional job and then got a sponsorship offer and just recently got my e-7 visa. (humblebrag). you won't meet many other people on h-1 here in my experience so the immigration help line will be your best friend for legality issues and questions. that's 1345 from a korean phone.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

district 12 posted:

welcome 2 seoul. goshiwon will definitely be your best bet although on facebook there are often rooms for rent going for quite cheap with other foreigners. alternatively sharehouses often have a system where you do basic chores or customer service in exchange for room and board. that's something to consider while you're job searching. i also recommend having an unlocked phone with you so you can just pop a prepaid SIM in right away and have a phone number where people can reach you.

having basic korean skills will take you a lot farther than not though, so like grand fromage said, study up before you get here so you can WOW~ any potential employers with your 안녕하세요 제 이름은 외국인입니다.

also i came to korea on a working holiday visa and was recruited for a professional job and then got a sponsorship offer and just recently got my e-7 visa. (humblebrag). you won't meet many other people on h-1 here in my experience so the immigration help line will be your best friend for legality issues and questions. that's 1345 from a korean phone.

Thank you, much appreciated everyone and congratulations btw! I'm feeling a lot better about coming over now, hopefully i can get some basic korean down in the next couple of months to make things even easier.

Kosh Naranek
Mar 8, 2008

Understanding is a three edged sword. Your side, their side, and a pair of ruby slippers.

Grand Fromage posted:

Once you get out of Seoul you better speak basic Korean though.

Busan works without Korean too, and not to mention Okpo (Geoje), but never go there.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Kosh Naranek posted:

Busan works without Korean too

Eh, kinda. If you're going working holiday, defo stay up in and around Seoul.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I don't suppose any of you trustworthy folks were planning to fly from SK to Los Angeles or California anytime soon and wouldn't mind taking a rather large carry on or check in for a small fee?

superm0nk
Jun 26, 2003

DID YOU PACK THIS BAG YOURSELF, SIR

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Yes

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Don't do that and don't ask someone to do that.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Tried Mom's Touch recently and loved it. Now they got me waiting for the delivery guy like it's Santa Claus coming down the chimney.

edit-- Speaking of fried chicken... what are your favorite go-to's at your favorite Chicken Hof spots?

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Alan Smithee posted:

Yes
Opens bag full of drugs.

'No I didn't pack the bag myself!'