Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
So I'm looking to upgrade an old computer from vista to 10. I have the iso file from Microsoft, but after reading around, is it even possible to do without buying 7, 8 or 10 first? I've never done anything like this with a computer before, so I'm a little nervous about screwing things up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Krakkles posted:

Is there any way to disable Suggested Meetings and Found Events in Outlook 365?

Everything I can find on Google seems to say that they should be listed in Options > Add-ins, but they're not, and I think that may only be in older versions.
Try logging into Mail on the web portal and go into Options->General->Manage add-ins and disabling it there.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Elblanco posted:

So I'm looking to upgrade an old computer from vista to 10. I have the iso file from Microsoft, but after reading around, is it even possible to do without buying 7, 8 or 10 first? I've never done anything like this with a computer before, so I'm a little nervous about screwing things up.

Vista isn't an upgrade path to 10. You can't get the free upgrade, and you can't install as an upgrade on top either, only clean install. Although perhaps you can do it in two steps, first upgrade Vista to 7, then 7 to 10. It should theoretically work!

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

nielsm posted:

Vista isn't an upgrade path to 10. You can't get the free upgrade, and you can't install as an upgrade on top either, only clean install. Although perhaps you can do it in two steps, first upgrade Vista to 7, then 7 to 10. It should theoretically work!

I'm guessing the ISO I have is only for the upgrade then. Which means for a clean install I'd need to buy a new copy right? Are there any affordable and reputable sources for windows 7?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

Try logging into Mail on the web portal and go into Options->General->Manage add-ins and disabling it there.
Got rid of the blue highlighting but not the Found Events. I'll take it - it's better than it was! Thank you!!!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Elblanco posted:

I'm guessing the ISO I have is only for the upgrade then. Which means for a clean install I'd need to buy a new copy right? Are there any affordable and reputable sources for windows 7?

There's a goon in SA-Mart selling Win7 pro keys for $25. You can use these keys to activate Windows 10 until the end of the year. Once activated your hardware config will be registered my MS and you can always reinstall Win10 on that PC. If you get a new PC later (and if your machine's running vista then I'd guess this will happen) you won't be able to use that key again. A new PC will come with Win10 usually, however.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It’s really unlikely to be worth it at any rate - you can get a decent Windows 7 machine for virtually nothing these days.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

dissss posted:

It’s really unlikely to be worth it at any rate - you can get a decent Windows 7 machine for virtually nothing these days.

yea, that's what I'm starting to realize. Thanks for the help everyone.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just throwing this out there: I don't think MS is going to poo poo can free upgrades from 7/8/8.1 to 10. Critical mass still isn't there and people that didn't upgrade a year ago might do it this year since software is starting to throw bitch fits about having old windows. If they actually do stop free upgrading it would really surprise me.. and also because they would probably have to change the key activation system in Windows 10.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
There's people who will pay for Windows and people who won't... MS is going to do a "no more free upgrades, we're serious this time" as many times as they need to keep a subset of people paying for new PCs or upgrades on the Microsoft Store.

I think the idea was to make Win 10 free in the first place, but there's too many gullible/non-savvy people who will fork over $120-$200 to upgrade that MS just can't pass up those opportunities.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Zero VGS posted:

There's people who will pay for Windows and people who won't... MS is going to do a "no more free upgrades, we're serious this time" as many times as they need to keep a subset of people paying for new PCs or upgrades on the Microsoft Store.

I think the idea was to make Win 10 free in the first place, but there's too many gullible/non-savvy people who will fork over $120-$200 to upgrade that MS just can't pass up those opportunities.

I don't know anyone that has paid for it since 10 came out a long long time ago. Also, v4 (Fall update) is getting to the point I am not utterly annoyed with 10. Would I pay 100 or 150 or whatever for 10 pro with forced updates? Nope. Then again I am not your average user.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 14, 2017

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I have a question. I think my laptop came with Windows 8.1, I upgraded it to 10, and then that to 10 Pro with a key I got from school. If I want to sell the laptop eventually can I revert back to the original key and can I use that W10 pro key elsewhere?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

I don't know anyone that has paid for it since 10 came out a long long time ago. Also, v4 (Fall update) is getting to the point I am not utterly annoyed with 10. Would I pay 100 or 150 or whatever for 10 pro with forced updates? Nope. Then again I am not your average user.

Plenty of people in the PC building thread budget for boxed copies on new PC builds even though they don't need to, and you can bet your rear end Joe Bro putting together a PC at Microcenter is gonna do it.

Since you get prompted enough on Win 7, etc, I'm pretty sure old ladies and such will bust out the credit card for it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Sininu posted:

I have a question. I think my laptop came with Windows 8.1, I upgraded it to 10, and then that to 10 Pro with a key I got from school. If I want to sell the laptop eventually can I revert back to the original key and can I use that W10 pro key elsewhere?

If you have the physical Win 10 Pro key, as in a photo of it or something, you can usually talk Microsoft's "Answer Desk" chat support into remoting to you're new PC and generating a fresh key for it, if you tell them this is an existing PC you bought a new hard drive for, or whatever.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zero VGS posted:

There's no way that was going to happen, Windows 10 actually being free. Then they'd be out billions upon billions of dollars from ongoing OEM licensing and also the relative drop in the bucket of purchases for home-built computers. Upgrades are similarly a drop in the bucket, normally.

It's like OS X became "free" but you could still only legally get the license to it from a computer where someone'd paid Apple like $800+ in the first place.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

fishmech posted:

There's no way that was going to happen, Windows 10 actually being free. Then they'd be out billions upon billions of dollars from ongoing OEM licensing and also the relative drop in the bucket of purchases for home-built computers. Upgrades are similarly a drop in the bucket, normally.

It's like OS X became "free" but you could still only legally get the license to it from a computer where someone'd paid Apple like $800+ in the first place.

They made Windows 10 free to OEMs if the devices shipped with under 2gb of ram, like certain tablets and those kangaroo PCs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

They made Windows 10 free to OEMs if the devices shipped with under 2gb of ram, like certain tablets and those kangaroo PCs.
Because otherwise those devices would all have come with android so they weren't losing any money by making it free. However, it was pointless because having everyone's experience using windows on tablets be based on junky computers with 2gb ram, slow emmc storage, and a terrible processor just makes windows look even worse for tablets.

I was curious if Windows 10 S was going to provide an alternative model where there were no hardware restrictions, resulting in the bottom tier of junky chinese windows laptops/tablets finally gong up to 4gb or ram but this doesn't seem to be what's happening. (I'm not sure if Microsoft has already lost interest in Windows 10 S, it's just rolling out slowly, or if it's trying to market it as a sort of value-added thing for educational markets instead of as a cheap cut-down version?)

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 14, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Zero VGS posted:

Such computers are useless hunks of junk. You could also get Windows Vista/7 Starter licenses for free (as an OEM) for very low-spec computers in the third world at various times too, it has no bearing on computers that people really use.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Mr Crucial posted:

This was a fresh download of the ISO from Microsoft, and I didn't install any software at all other than VMWare tools (a possible culprit) and the latest round of updates. Looking at my working Win 10 machine it has around 50ish root certs in there, whilst the non-working one only has about 12 - it's missing the major CAs like Verisign, Thawte, Geosign etc. Somehow during the course of running the installation the root certs just haven't been added.

I guess I'll leave it for a day or two and see if it fixes itself through auto updates.

might be an obvious suggestion, but is the clock right on the VM ?

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

spiny posted:

might be an obvious suggestion, but is the clock right on the VM ?

Clock was fine, so its not that.

I agree that this is probably a corrupt ISO or some other download/install related bug so I'll just re-download and try again.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I have a problem with windows 10 (can't remember if I had this with 8.1 or not) that having Windows Defender Real-time protection causes my spinning hard disk to repeat a same head movement all day every day. Like *Brrrt* *brrrt* *brrrt*

The head movement stops instantly when I disable RTP. Is there any way to figure out what is causing this? It doesn't matter if I'm on my computer or if it's idling. The noise is very annoying especially because I don't know the reason.

Disable RTP permantently and change to another AV vendor?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You'r HDD is probably dying. Defender is probably trying to read something from some sectors that have gone bad. Backup everything on it and then run chkdsk /x /v /f /r on that drive from an elevated command prompt (reboot if it's a system drive, and come back in a few hours if it's a huge disk).

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
You can start by running CrystalDiskInfo to check the SMART stats on the drive. Seeing a "good" SMART status does not mean the drive is necessarily good, but if it has any warnings you know for sure the drive is dying.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

KILL YOU'RE HD

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp making a new diff backup now. I have acronis for offline images and crashplan for cloud backups so I'm not that worried. The first thing I tried (before reading this thread) was to disable :nsa:-delivered protection in the defender settings and it seemed to stop the seeking immediately. After the backup I'll check for those bad sectors. I just have a feeling this is all Microsoft's fault again, hopefully I'm not wrong since breaking HDD's suck :saddowns:

E: at least this wd 3000fyyz has a 5 year warranty.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 14, 2017

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
OK, one more probably stupid question. Since I'm on Vista now, if I got a 7 product key, would I be able to upgrade to 7, then to 10. I want to say that I've dont the free upgrade to 10 before and didn't lose files, which would make me feel better about this whole thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unless you're super on top of your backup situation (in which case I salute you), I don't think it's worth dealing with even a slight possibility of a bad disk.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Thinking about it, I had a problem on 7 for a while on a spinner disk, where it would seek incredibly often (with lots of RAM free, so it wasn't virtual memorying).
I wonder if it was similar to that.

BTW - if you're using a spinny disk as a system disk get an SSD, what are you even doing.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Update: Windows is a service
What the gently caress kind of update is that.

Holy Haze
Nov 10, 2017

Elblanco posted:

OK, one more probably stupid question. Since I'm on Vista now, if I got a 7 product key, would I be able to upgrade to 7, then to 10. I want to say that I've dont the free upgrade to 10 before and didn't lose files, which would make me feel better about this whole thing.

Yes, grab a Win7 key in the SA Mart and upgrade. Then use the free upgrade to Win10.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Turns out that Microsoft is poo poo, as was expected. Disabling that :nsa:-assisted poo poo from defender settings stopped the head seeking and the HDD is actually fine.

code:
Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
  51038892 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

2861458 MB total disk space.
   2660766 MB in 503399 files.
    233048 KB in 55030 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
   1120304 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
 204155568 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
 732533503 total allocation units on disk.
  51038892 allocation units available on disk.
Also that thing took a lot of time to run.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For some reason Windows 10 suddenly messed up my keyboard mapping somehow. I've always had a US keyboard, but now the double-quotes (shift + apostrophe) types an @ and shift + 2 types double quotes. Also, shift + 3 types £ instead of a number sign. My country/region is set to United States and my language is set to English (United States). What the gently caress happened?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That's the UK layout - check that it hasn't switched for some reason, and maybe look under the list of installed keyboards in settings to uninstall it if you see it under there.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

hooah posted:

For some reason Windows 10 suddenly messed up my keyboard mapping somehow. I've always had a US keyboard, but now the double-quotes (shift + apostrophe) types an @ and shift + 2 types double quotes. Also, shift + 3 types £ instead of a number sign. My country/region is set to United States and my language is set to English (United States). What the gently caress happened?

The default shortcut for switching keyboard layouts if you've ended up with more than one enabled is Win + Space, or Left Alt + Shift which can be pretty easy to hit without realising it. There's probably also an 'ENG' button next to the clock in the taskbar, which will show what layout is selected. It'll take you to Language Preferences and let you remove the one you don't want.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GigaFuzz posted:

The default shortcut for switching keyboard layouts if you've ended up with more than one enabled is Win + Space, or Left Alt + Shift which can be pretty easy to hit without realising it. There's probably also an 'ENG' button next to the clock in the taskbar, which will show what layout is selected. It'll take you to Language Preferences and let you remove the one you don't want.
You have to actually have added multiple layouts for this to happen, though, which most English speakers in the US will not have.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Win + space was it. Not sure how I had an alternate layout, though.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

mystes posted:

You have to actually have added multiple layouts for this to happen, though, which most English speakers in the US will not have.

Much more fun is when another language version of Windows sometimes seems to add a US English layout and switch to it all by itself.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

nielsm posted:

Much more fun is when another language version of Windows sometimes seems to add a US English layout and switch to it all by itself.

This happens to me every time I play certain specific games (generally Source games like Half-Life 2). Usually I notice it when trying to access the console and my underscores turn into question marks or whatever because of the different keyboard layout. Incredibly annoying, but to be fair me using US English as the Windows display language probably has something to do with it. Because of that I can't even delete the US layout from the list.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best free ad-blocker? If browser matters, I'm using chrome primarily; my macbook died so I'm on my old PC which I never bothered to install ad blockers on because all I used it for was games and skype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

uBlock Origin