Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Merlot Brougham posted:

Not exactly how I remember it, but fair enough. I don't think that's how he actually exited either. Regardless, current discussion isn't about that past. We're onward and upward to treasure.

I think the real treasure is getting paid by Urban Smurf to check out his theories. He's got a per diem offer on that GPR site, and the last I knew he was still paying 50 bucks to count rings on a tree stump somewhere within view of the Golden Gate Bridge. As far as I know, neither has ever been retracted. I'll have to ask him to confirm, but as far as I'm concerned, those offers are still wide open.

I don't know what this means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
No. Time is up on those offers.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Urban Smurf posted:

No. Time is up on those offers.

The goons hurt his broke brain. :(

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007
What am I looking for if I want to start digging? I get that its a box, but what would it look like? Is it a sealed tupperware? An urn?

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

Piggy Smalls posted:

The goons hurt his broke brain. :(

Nope. I put my USD into ETH.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

solar energy panel posted:

What am I looking for if I want to start digging? I get that its a box, but what would it look like? Is it a sealed tupperware? An urn?

Second post of the thread. Enjoy!

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
I've been lurking for quite some time on this thread and I've been mentally involved (to some degree) with this treasure hunt for about two years. I have a friend who lives in Milwaukee and when I went to visit him recently we walked around where the treasure is said to be. It was really interesting to see in person how the picture aligns with landmarks around the city. Truly a unique sort of experience. Now that the puzzle has a really well-defined solution proposed, it's interesting to know that we were basically right there (since that detailed solution wasn't posed yet at the time).

I check the wiki (which I believe is the most commonly used wiki) often. It looks like they've got 5 of the puzzles nearly solved with proposed solutions. What comes next is some form of approval by a public entity in most cases.

Regardless, my view of these puzzles is that people should err on the side of simplicity. I know that some puzzles were meant to be more difficult than others... but for example, the two solved puzzles each have outlines of the state where the treasure is located. My guess is that the proper state outline exists in each picture.

For example...
http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/86302876/Image%2007
If you look at N9 in this picture... I'm pretty sure that is a rotated drawing of the state of Louisiana inside of the white/light wall square. That would help confirm (or at least provide evidence towards) the main idea that this treasure is in New Orleans. I haven't posted that on the wiki... but I'm nearly certain that's what's going on there. If this is true, then I bet the outline of each state is somewhere in each picture. That would help people confirm/deny their more complex solutions, and give precision and clarity to the search.

Looking forward to continuing to lurk and to also post from time to time. This "hunt" is honestly such a unique concept, given the circumstances.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EconDad posted:

Now that the puzzle has a really well-defined solution proposed

It does?

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

EconDad posted:

Regardless, my view of these puzzles is that people should err on the side of simplicity.

That would mean no more Urban Smurf theories. :(

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Merlot Brougham posted:

Turn tail from what, though? He got a bad rap, but I guess every thread needs a sacrificial lamb. Xie and I shared some theories back and forth once upon a time. At the end of the day, it was alright to discuss ideas with someone who could relate an image to a verse and have a good base with which to attack the puzzle.

The whole Boston cask quyzbuk apparently became a loser leaves town match because he hasn't really been around since. It's a shame that a couple of lofty offhand remarks landed him under the bus.

If the true goal of this whole thing is to uncover another cask, Xie was always an asset in that endeavor regardless of my own opinions about some of the details of his wrist-shattering theory about this one specific cask of the 10 still at large.

It wasn't a couple lofty offhand remarks, it was more than a year of being a coy little douche about how he totally located a cask and just needed to go dig it up with an ever expanding series of excuses like he broke his wrist digging a test hole, classes were too busy to dig a hole and that the ground was frozen two different winters because he dragged out his ball teasing "I've located a cask everyone" for a year.

All of that was punctuated by loving nothing because he didn't find poo poo and hasn't been back despite posting endlessly about how he had really located a cask

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Too bad because that streetlamp ray-pattern match was unique among the theories tossed around as far as I know, and dead-on with the picture. He left out the final matches so someone couldn't try the solution before him so we don't know how good the final steps were but the stuff he did share was great as I recall.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

EconDad posted:

I've been lurking for quite some time on this thread and I've been mentally involved (to some degree) with this treasure hunt for about two years. I have a friend who lives in Milwaukee and when I went to visit him recently we walked around where the treasure is said to be. It was really interesting to see in person how the picture aligns with landmarks around the city. Truly a unique sort of experience. Now that the puzzle has a really well-defined solution proposed, it's interesting to know that we were basically right there (since that detailed solution wasn't posed yet at the time).

I check the wiki (which I believe is the most commonly used wiki) often. It looks like they've got 5 of the puzzles nearly solved with proposed solutions. What comes next is some form of approval by a public entity in most cases.

Regardless, my view of these puzzles is that people should err on the side of simplicity. I know that some puzzles were meant to be more difficult than others... but for example, the two solved puzzles each have outlines of the state where the treasure is located. My guess is that the proper state outline exists in each picture.

For example...
If you look at N9 in this picture... I'm pretty sure that is a rotated drawing of the state of Louisiana inside of the white/light wall square. That would help confirm (or at least provide evidence towards) the main idea that this treasure is in New Orleans. I haven't posted that on the wiki... but I'm nearly certain that's what's going on there. If this is true, then I bet the outline of each state is somewhere in each picture. That would help people confirm/deny their more complex solutions, and give precision and clarity to the search.

Looking forward to continuing to lurk and to also post from time to time. This "hunt" is honestly such a unique concept, given the circumstances.

Cool, have you found state outlines in any other pictures?

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Yeah. I think so. Unless the beginning of the proposed solution is way off... then I think this "walkthrough" of sorts holds water. Seems like it's a (large scale perhaps) dig away.
http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/103893375/Image%2010%20Verse%208%20Solution

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

NotWearingPants posted:

Cool, have you found state outlines in any other pictures?

Not as of yet. I should probably (re)analyze the pictures to see if I come up with another state outline or two at least. If not, I'm completely open to my simplicity erring theory being incorrect... although I just can't imagine that Byron Priess meant to make this very difficult, given how he spoke about the proposed reason for the hunt. It wasn't meant to be an impossible hunt... but to help sell books, I think. Of course... intention doesn't always match reality.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

EconDad posted:

Not as of yet. I should probably (re)analyze the pictures to see if I come up with another state outline or two at least. If not, I'm completely open to my simplicity erring theory being incorrect... although I just can't imagine that Byron Priess meant to make this very difficult, given how he spoke about the proposed reason for the hunt. It wasn't meant to be an impossible hunt... but to help sell books, I think. Of course... intention doesn't always match reality.

He actually thought the puzzles were too easy and he expected they would be solved right away. It turns out he just wasn't very good at making up puzzles.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

HoAssHo posted:

He actually thought the puzzles were too easy and he expected they would be solved right away. It turns out he just wasn't very good at making up puzzles.

I can certainly see that. He's bad at making easily solvable puzzles. Good at making nigh impossible puzzles.

Whenever I see a detailed city/street map with a relation to the picture and/or poem I either think it's incorrect (although it looks very correct usually) or Byron really didn't know how difficult he was making these puzzles.

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

If these are just buried loose in the ground there is a good chance they'd be crumbled or deteriorated by now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

If these are just buried loose in the ground there is a good chance they'd be crumbled or deteriorated by now.

I think they're in a plexiglass box, but might still be crushed

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

They didn't even finish painting the casks to boot. What a poo poo show from the get go.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EconDad posted:

Yeah. I think so. Unless the beginning of the proposed solution is way off... then I think this "walkthrough" of sorts holds water. Seems like it's a (large scale perhaps) dig away.

Is this brand new? Its the most impressive proposed solution Ive seen

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It seems a documentary could be made about this poo poo. Hell, if it is done right, you could probably convince some of these places to let you dig.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

EconDad posted:

For example...

That's great that you're taking a common element between the two solves and trying to apply it to the unsolved ones. That's like the first piece of advice in the OP so more power to you.

However, I fear you might be wasting your time with the "states" strategy: With the exception of Milwaukee, there are coordinates hidden in every map. These, combined with the ample other hidden symbols, have allowed sleuths to pinpoint the locations to cities. That's not to say it wouldn't be a game changer if, say, you found an outline of Alaska hidden in the picture that is almost-universally believed to be New York, but I would definitely look to extrapolate another common element from the two solves.

The key element that is missing from a lot of these is the exact point of the dig. Priess got too cryptic and also the two solves weren't really where the solvers thought they were (One was on the opposite side of a wall and the other was a few yards away). So figuring out stuff like what the hell "You'll see a letter from the country Of wonderstone's hearth On a proud, tall fifth" means could be the final piece to actually getting hands on one of these

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 21, 2017

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

Herv posted:

They didn't even finish painting the casks to boot. What a poo poo show from the get go.

I'm worried some construction worker dug one up, assumed it was a kids high school art project and threw it out.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Anyone else think J/K 5-9 is a sideways tree?
http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/86303014/Image%2010

Since the paired verse seems to indicate it's buried at the base of a tree, that knothole in the pic could be helpful if the trees hadn't been cut down leaving only stumps. Still, maybe someone can find an old picture?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
X marks the area of the spot, vaguely. Maybe.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Wow Houston has a solve that seems pretty dead on. There is a hard path over where the casque probably is though
http://thesecret.pbworks.com/w/page/103626363/Image%208%20Verse%201%20Solution

Good news, though. Sam Houston may have owned slaves!

So there's talk of removing a nearby memorial, and that could mean excavation machines on site.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 21, 2017

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

Isn't one of the casques meant to be near here? Maybe he was trying to find it :clint:

Houston man charged with trying to plant bomb at Confederate statue in Hermann Park

Schneck was arrested Saturday night after a Houston park ranger spotted him kneeling in bushes in front of the Dowling monument in the park, Martinez said.

When confronted Saturday night in the park, he tried to drink some of the liquid explosives but spit it out, officials said.
The ranger then asked if he planned to harm the statute, and he said he did because he did not "like that guy"

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

EconDad posted:

Very impressive, all the clues seem to just slide nicely into place, unlike solutions I've seen here for some of the other puzzles.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Thinking about Milwaukee:

I think he's dead on up until after the 92 steps. But it could diverge after that. There's five large bridges in Lake Park, it's not necessarily the concrete bridge. The Brick Arch bridge is probably too far north, the lion bridges too far south (although lion = Leo = tall, proud fifth is extremely tempting, Leo being the fifth zodiacal sign.)

And the last few lines don't match up with anything visible. Could be that the obvious thing was destroyed in the last 35 years, but...

In between Lake Park Rd. and Ravine Rd. two bridges- the aforementioned concrete footbridge, and the steel arch bridge northwest of that, the left of the two green points up top:

http://lakeparkfriends.org/wp-content/themes/divi-child/images/steel-arch-bridge-2.jpg

I'm not currently in Wisconsin, but that picture makes it look like there's a culvert or something under it.

But taking the same rough distance from the proposed solution's concrete bridge, and applying it to the steel arch bridge, gets you very close to this:

http://lakeparkfriends.org/wp-content/themes/divi-child/images/american-war-mothers-plaque-1921.jpg

Wonderstone is potentially rhyolite, a light-colored igneous rock. It's on a wonderstone-like hearth. American war mothers = proud. Dedicated in May = Fifth. Admittedly, not tall in the least. But, according to the plaque, there's trees nearby.

Weaknesses: no connection between Grand 200 and getting you up to Lake Park Rd., 'tall' not accounted for. And if the steel bridge were it, the pattern on the woman's shawl should have matched it.

But I'm adamant that this thing isn't going to be next to a tree. "Tall, proud fifth" has to be something different. I'd originally thought Generals, of which there's one in the park, further south:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erastus_B._Wolcott#/media/File:WolcottMonument1919.jpg

But he's a one-star general, not a five-star. Welp, that's all I've got.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's nothing there. It's all garbage that's been thrown away by now.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Anyone break a wrist digging?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
They're called solutions, not solves. Well cya.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Big news posted by four21thrasher at Q4t:

Josh and the crew of Expedition Unknown are releasing a 12-installment Podcast in coordination with James Renner exploring the puzzles within The Secret. You can access the first episode of James Renner's podcast at the following location: http://thesecretofbyronpreiss.com/podcast/shhh-the-secret-podcast-episode-1

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Glad you're still here, Smurf

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Yeah, I'm still on the hunt. I may have torn a tricep while carrying 75 lbs of kettle-bells to the counter of the sporting goods store, but I'll be back to shoveling soon.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,

Urban Smurf posted:

Yeah, I'm still on the hunt. I may have torn a tricep while carrying 75 lbs of kettle-bells to the counter of the sporting goods store, but I'll be back to shoveling soon.

Don’t break your arm shoveling!

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo
Yearly check in. Anyone actually dig anything up yet?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You have to listen to a podcast to find out

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wobbulated posted:

Yearly check in. Anyone actually dig anything up yet?

Of course not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

This treasure book is cursed, all those who gaze upon it are afflicted with severe mental illness.