Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's really too bad the R32 Skyline was too heavy to be an effective Group A rally car because I would have loved to see that thing as a tarmac special car like the Group A M3 and the Sierra Cosworth were.

Apparently someone actually entered one in Corsica one year and it was uncompetitive.

The MA70 Supra was used as an African rally car by Toyota. Odd platform to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

I love all the Ferraris that were built that never actually raced. Like that Ferrari Indy

The 637 owned.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Norns posted:

I love all the Ferraris that were built that never actually raced. Like that Ferrari Indy

And the SF70H

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

Remember when Mikko Hirvonen was being hyped up as the next big thing to take the fight to Loeb and as a worthy successor of Gronholm? lmao

That was such a terrible time for WRC. Mikko was a talentless jobber, and Jari Matti showing up and owning him in the same car was the death knell for his career. Ugh, I couldn't watch WRC anymore after that season, Seb Loeb was just so indescribably boring. Middling WRC driver with the ability to pick a target pace and stick to it backed by a team willing to spend whatever it took to make a car that was fast and reliable on any type of course. It was like watching paint dry.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Neither are frauds, they're going to compete so fiercely that they will elevate the grid to a new level that fraud drivers such as Max Verstappen, Lewis Hamilton and Stoffel Vandorne will be unable to match.

2018 will probably be Williams' strongest season for an awful long time based on that driver pairing alone. It's gon' be rad as gently caress.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Theophany posted:

2018 will probably be Williams' strongest season for an awful long time based on that driver pairing alone. It's gon' be bad as gently caress.

Fixed the typo

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

In news surprising no one, Gasly & Hartley are pretty much confirmed for 2018. All that's left is a formal announcement.

Ghastly.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Can’t wait until 2018 when we can find out if Brendan has the hart of a champion or if he’s hartley worth watching

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Ferrari-Indy story is cool as gently caress. Enzo was a cool madman and not a boring madman like nostro Sergio.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
2018, which driver's name will be most used in beaten to dead jeux de mots?
Place your bets now!

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mrfart posted:

2018, which driver's name will be most used in beaten to dead jeux de mots?
Place your bets now!

roman grossjean

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

motorsport.com posted:

Lance Stroll needs a slower teammate to help improve his performance in Formula 1, according to former world champion Jacques Villeneuve

Yes that seems like an entirely sensible decision for Williams to take.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Its pretty sad watching the Williams netflix doc and seeing what the team has become.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Stop 👏🏻 letting 👏🏻 Jacques 👏🏻 Villeneuve 👏🏻 speak 👏🏻 publicly 👏🏻

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

wicka posted:

Stop 👏🏻 letting 👏🏻 Jacques 👏🏻 Villeneuve 👏🏻 speak 👏🏻 publicly 👏🏻

I think at this point, most news outlets just have a Jacques Villeneuve soundboard and on a slow news day they just hit it a few times and see what comes out

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I love Are Jacques and agree with like 90% of what he says. It's alarming to me that people think he has a bad opinion.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I love Are Jacques and agree with like 90% of what he says. It's alarming to me that people think he has a bad opinion.

A good post.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ban Canada

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

:thunk:

Maybe Stroll just needs to be faster????

No, he needs a slower teammate obviously.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Clearly they should hire Jacques Villeneuve.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Clearly they should hire Jacques Villeneuve.

:2bong:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

I'm trying to find their Jacques' PSA for :flaccid: but it seems like it's been memory-holed.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

That car and the story behind it is insanely ftw.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I’ve always thought that this car’s ideas were later transferred to the F40.

Correct - the 288 essentially "evolved" into the F40 naturally once Group B got canned.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

When you look at the direction of where those cars were headed like the Audi Group S prototype it's probably one of those things where we were better off with Group B getting canned.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

When you look at the direction of where those cars were headed like the Audi Group S prototype it's probably one of those things where we were better off with Group B getting canned.

You take that back right now

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What's a few hundred Porguese spectator deaths compared to our enjoyment of motor racing?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
I've no doubt if Group B hadn't been killed off we'd have seen mental 1000bhp+ Pikes Peak type machinery, which would've been an incomprehensible level of batshit insanity.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

I've no doubt if Group B hadn't been killed off we'd have seen mental 1000bhp+ Pikes Peak type machinery, which would've been an incomprehensible level of batshit insanity.

I think Ford said the shelf life of the tuned RS200 engine was like 8 hours lol. Even then you could see that poo poo was not going to be indefinitely sustainable.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I think Ford said the shelf life of the tuned RS200 engine was like 8 hours lol. Even then you could see that poo poo was not going to be indefinitely sustainable.

Still longer than a Honda F1 engine :shrug:

Here's something for y'all to poo poo your pants to - a 970bhp shopping cart being thrown up a mountain by a loving mentalist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32wAYLIDglo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Friendly reminder Michelle Mouton quit rally because of Group B ending.

Though she did deliver the biggest burn ever in the history of Pikes' Peak anyway.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kamui going to Formula E. Glad to see him join a healthy and growing series like that instead of the soon to be global NASCAR series that is F1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Group A more than Group B honestly. It struck the right balance between crazy homologation specials and cars that enthusiasts could potentially actually buy for themselves.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like Group A more than Group B honestly. It struck the right balance between crazy homologation specials and cars that enthusiasts could potentially actually buy for themselves.

I feel GT2 sort of hits this as well, but that's also because the Corvette is pretty accessible to most people if they work for it.

Though GT4 wins out on that crown really.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Theophany posted:

I guess in that light we did get Group C :allears:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Give me an R32 any day of the week for this reason alone. :fap:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I feel like Group B/S was definitely going to just turn into "generic bubble car sports prototype" given another five years and you could definitely see the seeds of that in the RS200. Group A definitely staved off the threat of that.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Uhhhhh I read Jaques comments as extremely sarcastic and him poo poo talking stroll never stops being funny to me

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
We have one last race without the halo. Just a sad reminder.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

Maybe Massa will take a spring to the face for old times' sake.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

2018 Full time MotoGP train, get aboard friend were departing :cheerdoge:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

2018 Full time MotoGP train, get aboard friend were departing :cheerdoge:

:iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag::iamafag:

• Locked thread