Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheScott2K posted:

Kinda sucks that F6 won't get a bonx patch

well yeah, why would they give forza 6 an xbox one makeover, that would make people even less likely to buy forza 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

financially racist posted:

well yeah, why would they give forza 6 an xbox one makeover, that would make people even less likely to buy forza 7

Thanks for explaining that

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’m getting a boneX tomorrow. I’ll finish out the rest of Wolfenstein on it and was thinking of getting COD WW2 or battlefront 2 for the effects and campaigns. What games are you guys playing that are legit good on the new console? I’m not a racing fan but I’d give the Forza a go with my kids if it is fun enough.

I just finished WW2 yesterday. It looks really great on my LG C6, the HDR and constant 60FPS are what really make this game shine. The campaign was actually really fun as well - I haven't bought a COD game in quite some time but I would recommend this one. I've heard Battlefront 2 looks amazing as well but I haven't tried it yet.

Halo 5 looks sharp as hell with the 4K texture update even without HDR. Gears is also fun and looks good but I prefer the 60FPS performance mode to the 4K/30FPS eye candy mode.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

comper posted:

I just finished WW2 yesterday. It looks really great on my LG C6, the HDR and constant 60FPS are what really make this game shine. The campaign was actually really fun as well - I haven't bought a COD game in quite some time but I would recommend this one. I've heard Battlefront 2 looks amazing as well but I haven't tried it yet.

Halo 5 looks sharp as hell with the 4K texture update even without HDR. Gears is also fun and looks good but I prefer the 60FPS performance mode to the 4K/30FPS eye candy mode.

COD Infinite Warfare and WW2 both have pretty good campaigns. Just wish the multiplayer would calm the gently caress down. I'm losing fights to people who seem to skip frames and end up a few feet from where I was aiming.

Haven't played COD multiplayer since World at War.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Is Assassin creed poo poo or good? I have completed a few of them but there’s usually so much drat grinding and pointless climbing for collectibles my mind goes numb. If the story in this one is good and the grind can be avoided, the enhanced graphics look pretty rad.

You guys think a 10 year old could play forza horizons without much issue? Or is it pretty involved?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Blind Rasputin posted:

Is Assassin creed poo poo or good? I have completed a few of them but there’s usually so much drat grinding and pointless climbing for collectibles my mind goes numb. If the story in this one is good and the grind can be avoided, the enhanced graphics look pretty rad.

You guys think a 10 year old could play forza horizons without much issue? Or is it pretty involved?

People seem to like the new one, but I get the feeling AC having skipped a year is helping its reception. Still looks like an Assassin's Creed-rear end Assassin's Creed game.

A 10 year old should do alright in Forza Horizon with some assists turned on. Arcade racers with licensed cars seem to be dead outside of FH so it's kinda your only option.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blind Rasputin posted:

Origins is well regarded as breathing fresh air into the franchise.

And I think the FH games are probably pretty accessible for young children, maybe on an easier difficulty depending on their absolute level of skill but the easier difficulties definitely allow for more mistakes, it's not like a hardcore sim where you get dinged every time you go slightly off-road and are effectively out of the race if you wind up spinning out. In fact I'd wager it's probably the easiest of the non-Mario Kart games, even Trackmania Turbo gets loving hard in a hurry.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I miss Project Gotham Racing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kids can play Forza but probably won’t find it any fun.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

I miss Project Gotham Racing.

I booted up PGR4 recently and honestly it hasn't aged well.

Grid 1, however...*kisses fingers*

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Kids can play Forza but probably won’t find it any fun.

"I don't get it. Where are the weapons?"

Still FH3 is probably the closest they'll get to an "enjoyable" non-Kart racing game, what with stunts like racing against a helicopter and the Hot Wheels DLC's physics-defying stuff, not to mention the little novelties like the AI driving voice knowing your name.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Honestly I'd give a 10 year old a 360. Zillions of games in dead genres, loose discs are dirt cheap, they all look good on an HDTV, and way less of the online hooks for "games as service" type poo poo. A ten year old will have way more fun with Blur than with Forza Horizon.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I SAID COME IN, new avatars delayed to probably next year:

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/930101488122183681

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TheScott2K posted:

People seem to like the new one, but I get the feeling AC having skipped a year is helping its reception. Still looks like an Assassin's Creed-rear end Assassin's Creed game.

Nah it really is a much better game with all sorts of new ideas/systems. It's more in line with Witcher 3/Horizon/Zelda style games than previous ACs.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah it really is a much better game with all sorts of new ideas/systems. It's more in line with Witcher 3/Horizon/Zelda style games than previous ACs.

I am impressed they found a way to get the drone from Watch Underscore Dogs 2 and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands into an Assassin's Creed game somehow.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

TheScott2K posted:

I am impressed they found a way to get the drone from Watch Underscore Dogs 2 and Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands into an Assassin's Creed game somehow.

I thought that was going to be stupid too but it's mostly inoffensive, you usually use it for about two seconds and done. No long area-wide scans like the other two games you mentioned, unless you want to.

Would prefer if they just didn't require it though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BattleTech posted:

I SAID COME IN, new avatars delayed to probably next year:

https://twitter.com/XboxQwik/status/930101488122183681

Making Avatars Great Again? Xbox is truly the great American console.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Everybody I talk to about AC: Origins is loving crazy about the game. A dude that comes into my bar almost bought me a copy of it (he surprised another regular with a copy) because he thinks it’s so amazing.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

89 posted:

Everybody I talk to about AC: Origins is loving crazy about the game. A dude that comes into my bar almost bought me a copy of it (he surprised another regular with a copy) because he thinks it’s so amazing.

it looks good and i think that dudes just lonely :(

Picked up Dishonored 2 to play on my xbonex and it looks really A+++ at 1080p with it all rez'd down and fancy grafixxxxxx. So glad I get to vault over 5 years worth of walkbacks due to a lovely Veep.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

drat guys, the Xbox one x is a larger step up from the S than I thought. Wolfenstein is intense, and that WW2 game... its so loving good and the HDR is really noticeable. Honestly, I have sort of bad eyes and I think the 1080p on a tv resolution at 30fps always made it harder for me to recognize or shoot at distant fast moving targets, or in general just assimilate wtf was going on, but it is suddenly much easier on my eyes now. The UI seems much faster as well.

Two questions, do the 4K enhancements automatically download when installing a game? Or do I have to click some button somewhere to get them. The install for WW2 was only 50gigs, and 60gigs for Battlefront 2 and I read the 4K games were like 100gigs or something.

The movie store doesn’t yet stream 4K movies? Or is there a way to do that too, or is it upscaling automatically.

Trading in an S with a controller took a bit more than $100 off the price. I feel at ~$399 it’s a hell of a deal.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Also, I should mention for those interested, while GameStop is sold out nationwide Target has a ton of these. The lady there said they got such large shipments in everywhere and have not been able to sell them all yet. They also take console trade ins for a price point that seems just slightly higher than GameStop right now.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Blind Rasputin posted:

Two questions, do the 4K enhancements automatically download when installing a game? Or do I have to click some button somewhere to get them. The install for WW2 was only 50gigs, and 60gigs for Battlefront 2 and I read the 4K games were like 100gigs or something.

I think there's a toggle for individual games on the game management screen... or somewhere. I'm pretty sure I saw a checkbox but as a non-4k owner I didn't care. Unless there's a benefit to downloading 4k assets on a 1080p set?

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

Zachack posted:

I think there's a toggle for individual games on the game management screen... or somewhere. I'm pretty sure I saw a checkbox but as a non-4k owner I didn't care. Unless there's a benefit to downloading 4k assets on a 1080p set?

They do claim that it can supersample the 4K textures down to 1080p which is technically supposed to result in a better looking image but I’m not sure if it’s worth the huge downloads unless you’re really taking advantage of it with a native 4K panel.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

comper posted:

They do claim that it can supersample the 4K textures down to 1080p which is technically supposed to result in a better looking image but I’m not sure if it’s worth the huge downloads unless you’re really taking advantage of it with a native 4K panel.

Something to remember is that a lot of games have their textures delivered so that they're optimized for the like 720p or 900p the game ends up rendering at on the original hardware. They'd need improved textures anyway to look really good at 1080p, and the rendering can easily use the 4k textures for that - just like how on old PC games they'd ship textures for like 1280x1024 but they'd still look better at 800x600 than if you selected to swtich to the low-grade textures meant for 640x480.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

This whole thing of tying texture quality to output resolution is new and weird.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I wish avatars would be delayed forever. Easily the stupidest feature of xbl

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Blind Rasputin posted:

The new one is really good. You don't have to really grind, most of the stuff comes naturally if you just take your time. Example, you need crafting materials like ore, wood and leather to upgrade your armor, hidden blade, melee and ranged damage. You farm these by killing animals or soldiers. You'll be attacked plenty enough throughout the game to upgrade enough to be able to beat the game. I had to purposely farm like once and I'm sure I could have been fine without.

You still have to go out of your way to explore for some of the cool armor sets, but it's not as bad this year. Gone are the days of hunting 40 pages. The closest things are scrolls and those are pretty easy to find and give you a neat little puzzle to figure out (youtube). You also get a guaranteed rare or legendary.

It's the best AC since Black Flag and it even has BOAT COMBAT. No upgrading your boat though.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I didn’t realize Hulu was streaming in 4K. You can see all the makeup on Lucifer’s face it’s jarring.

Do amazon video rentals through their amazon prime app stream in 4K?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I tried an Amazon Prime tv show (Man in the High Castle) and it looked worse than 90s online video on my 175Mbps down connection. Completely useless streaming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Amazon's video quality is usually the best, if that's a consistent thing it's probably the app.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Were you watching in your browser or something?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I tried an Amazon Prime tv show (Man in the High Castle) and it looked worse than 90s online video on my 175Mbps down connection. Completely useless streaming.

Check your router or isp

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ethanol posted:

Check your router or isp

Hmm, let me just check my ISP. Wait, my only other option is copper DSL and my current provider has such lovely peering with youtube that I can't stream higher than 360p during peak evening hours? Guess I could tether to my phone if I wanted better internet service.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Hmm, let me just check my ISP. Wait, my only other option is copper DSL and my current provider has such lovely peering with youtube that I can't stream higher than 360p during peak evening hours? Guess I could tether to my phone if I wanted better internet service.

You seem dumb.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
edit: wrong thread

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 15, 2017

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

uh somehow I received a Dirty Disc Error playing Ninja Gaiden Black on the X. Kinda odd

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Dirty Discs Done Dirt Cheap

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheHoosier posted:

uh somehow I received a Dirty Disc Error playing Ninja Gaiden Black on the X. Kinda odd
Yeah that's been a thing with digital copies of games since the 360

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Akuma posted:

news to me, I didn't own a 360. It only happened once, but it still surprised me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Akuma posted:

lmao maybe on xbone