Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

It's like when they proved that heavy and prolonged usage of cannabis is linked to psychosis, but only in people with a certain genetic marker who had suffered childhood trauma or abuse.

The takeaway from this study by the press was of course "skunk link with psychosis proved" rather than "abusing kids terrible in multiple ways."

Iirc there's a respectable amount of evidence supporting mental harm from cannabis use when begun at a young age. My hot take is it's a bad idea to start until you're old enough to know better, after that you can just go right ahead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Oh dear me posted:

I don't think anyone disagreed with said historical reasons, made excuses, or doubted that big nation states exploit small nation states, and that this is bad and should stop. The disagreement is over how to arrive at that position. It is a traditional left wing view that stressing the nationality of the people responsible is less helpful than stressing the actual things that gave them the power to do so, and opposing those.

I dunno about that, amongst others. I think nitpicking the exact historical/socio-economic details is something that could follow a basic acknowledgement of the power dynamic between England and its satellite states, and when whatabouttery is deployed in lieu of said basic acknowledgement it becomes a dismissal of legitimate grievances - and thus tacit approval of injustice and inequality. Maybe next time just say "yeah that sucks"?

That we would like to live in a world without the manufactured tribalism of nationalist ideology is not reason to pretend that nations and their antecedents do not and have not existed in the past or that they have not and do not continue to commit injustices against one another. The very real problems of poverty and regional neglect in Wales (and Scotland, and Cornwall, and the North of England...) do not somehow disappear if we rename them "West UK", "Very North UK" etc. In turn, I don't think the extremely pressing business of UKMT's favourite Monster Munch or which train station platform posters have shat upon is particularly stymied by a poster not sufficiently unpacking the concepts of "Wales" and "England" in a ragepost on a dying comedy forum.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 15, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

Labour’s Angela Eagle says earlier this year May said she was the only person who could provide strong and stable leadership in the national interest. With her cabinet crumbling, how is it going?

May says Eagle is a member of a party that cannot even decide what it wants from Brexit.

I can only guess that's a compliment? :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Iirc there's a respectable amount of evidence supporting mental harm from cannabis use when begun at a young age. My hot take is it's a bad idea to start until you're old enough to know better, after that you can just go right ahead
Sure, it about doubles the risk of mental harm when used heavily, accounting for genetics and family mental history and any childhood trauma. Compared to 6-8x for alcohol. It's not a good idea for children to drink heavily either.

Now, what I'm not sure is how much of that is correlation and how much is causation, because the kids who are most likely to abuse drugs (including alcohol) are not likely to be the kids with the best childhoods.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

jBrereton posted:

There is no reason it specifically funds healthcare systems to take care of those who choose to drink. That's a silly structural argument.

There's also no reason a shop can't just take the hit on the tax, unlike a minimum price. Hope that helps.

I don't think I ever posted that?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/CPJElmore/status/930775573315629056

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

Here is what the Supreme Court said about minimum pricing vs taxation:

quote:

...minimum pricing targets the health hazards of cheap alcohol and the groups most affected in a way that an increase in excise or VAT does not. The latter would be felt across the board in relation to the whole category of goods to which it applied and unnecessarily affect groups which are not the focus of the legislation... Second, in agreement with the Lord Ordinary, minimum pricing is easier to understand and simpler to enforce. It would not be open to absorption (e.g. by selling alcohol below cost in order to attract other business onto their premises).

Seems reasonable to me. At least, after five years of faffing about, we can finally get on with it.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Well, it's taught mandatorily from ages 4-18, with few exemptions. And after that ehhhhhhhh I guess they throw a few token million at things like bilingual signage, TG4 our Irish-language TV station, and then RTE has a mandate for a certain amount of Irish-language programming including an Irish-language national radio station. Not much in other words

That's still better than over here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait until swivel eyed duppers insist northern ireland gets signage in Scots, or "signage in Scots", as we'd say in English.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Lt. Danger posted:

I dunno about that, amongst others. I think nitpicking the exact historical/socio-economic details is something that could follow a basic acknowledgement of the power dynamic between England and its satellite states, and when whatabouttery is deployed in lieu of said basic acknowledgement it becomes a dismissal of legitimate grievances - and thus tacit approval of injustice and inequality. Maybe next time just say "yeah that sucks"?

That we would like to live in a world without the manufactured tribalism of nationalist ideology is not reason to pretend that nations and their antecedents do not and have not existed in the past or that they have not and do not continue to commit injustices to one another. The very real problems of poverty and regional neglect in Wales (and Scotland, and Cornwall, and the North of England...) do not somehow disappear if we rename them "West UK", "Very North UK" etc. In turn, I don't think the extremely pressing business of UKMT's favourite Monster Munch or which train station platform posters have shat upon is particularly stymied by a poster not sufficiently unpacking the concepts of "Wales" and "England" in a ragepost on a dying comedy forum.

maybe I'm confused, but it seems like the general thrust of the linked post was argument over whether Wales is innocent of the original sin of imperialism - which seems relevant re: pretense and injustices

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alertrelic posted:

the Lord Ordinary
Between them, the Lords Spiritual, the Lords Temporal, Lord Adonis, Lord Elder, and Baroness Blood, I can't tell if our political system sounds more like a Klan meeting or a poo poo fantasy novel.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Jedit posted:

So it's a Tory policy with "och aye the noo" added to the end?

Did you have some Pavlovian conditioning as a child that compels you to act like a oval office every time the SNP are mentioned?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Quick reminder that the Gurkhas did great out the Empire and therefore are exactly as guilty as everyone else

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially with their equal pensions and right to move freely to and from the UK.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Guavanaut posted:

Especially with their equal pensions and right to move freely to and from the UK.

Nepal, the real bastards

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie

Obliterati posted:

Nepal, the real bastards

They're ne pals of mine.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

Did you have some Pavlovian conditioning as a child that compels you to act like a oval office every time the SNP are mentioned?

It's hardly unjustified.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Between them, the Lords Spiritual, the Lords Temporal, Lord Adonis, Lord Elder, and Baroness Blood, I can't tell if our political system sounds more like a Klan meeting or a poo poo fantasy novel.
*consults list*

Not forgetting Lord Archer, Lord Cashman, Lord Crisp, Lords Dear and Darling, Lord Eatwell, Lord Falconer, Lord Goodlad (presumably of Whomeanswell), Baroness Jolly, Lord Judge, two Lords King, Lord Mair, Baroness Rock, Earl Sandwich, Viscount Slim, Lord Snape, Lord Spicer, Lord Steel, Baroness and Lord Stern, Lord Sugar, Lord Trees, Lord True, Baroness Valentine, Baroness Wolf, Lord Woolf, Lord Wolfson, three Lords and two Baronesses Young and Viscount Younger

Toffs are ridiculous

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Guavanaut posted:

But you repeat yourself

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Guavanaut posted:

They have better rights than spouses of UK citizens lmao

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

sebzilla posted:

*consults list*

Not forgetting Lord Archer, Lord Cashman, Lord Crisp, Lords Dear and Darling, Lord Eatwell, Lord Falconer, Lord Goodlad (presumably of Whomeanswell), Baroness Jolly, Lord Judge, two Lords King, Lord Mair, Baroness Rock, Earl Sandwich, Viscount Slim, Lord Snape, Lord Spicer, Lord Steel, Baroness and Lord Stern, Lord Sugar, Lord Trees, Lord True, Baroness Valentine, Baroness Wolf, Lord Woolf, Lord Wolfson, three Lords and two Baronesses Young and Viscount Younger

Toffs are ridiculous

dare you to call Sugar a toff to his face

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Minimum unit pricing will almost certainly save lives, but at the cost of restricting the behaviour of the poor. It's also not particularly efficient, because if illegal drugs have taught us anything it's that making something harder to obtain doesn't prevent addiction. I'd expect to see a decent rise in shoplifting if this comes into force.

The best way to deal with addiction will always be to improve people's lives until they don't feel the need to block out reality, and to support addicts who want to quit.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Better when he was Judge Judge imo (although in court he would have been addressed as Mr Justice Judge IIRC).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/930795954273480710

While I don't necessarily agree with the arrangement of benefits being paid directly to the landlord in general, surely just cutting all of that off is a predictable recipe for disaster

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Minimum unit pricing will almost certainly save lives, but at the cost of restricting the behaviour of the poor. It's also not particularly efficient, because if illegal drugs have taught us anything it's that making something harder to obtain doesn't prevent addiction. I'd expect to see a decent rise in shoplifting if this comes into force.
Or as with other drugs the making of in proverbial (and in the case of alcohol perhaps literal) bathtubs.

Ban bathtubs.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Gort posted:

Nah, you need to do some reading on this, it's nowhere near as simple as "lol they just want to tax the poor".

Well no, people genuinely do want to prevent harm, which minimum pricing will achieve. But, this could also be achieved by tax reform (literally half of the page you linked argues this - and the only counterargument raised is basically just :effort:).

Just of note DrinkAware are "funded largely by voluntary and unrestricted donations from UK alcohol producers, retailers and supermarkets". They push heavily the matters of personal choice and personal responsibility when it comes to alcohol consumption and somewhat sidestep that there are any other actors in the production, advertising, and retail of booze.

They, and various related charities / non-profits are very happy to fund studies that look at drinking habits at the personal level - even funding studies on interventions to reduce alcohol consumption - but less so when it comes to cultural or systemic matters on alcohol. (Fun fact: If you take any of their money, even to fund an alcohol harm-reduction study, you are regarded in the research community as forever tainted and cannot join various research groups, such as those who built the minimum pricing models).

With DrinkAware's stance in mind, it would be expected for them to push 'both sides' on their page to meet a need of discussing the topic but ultimately leave it as a personal matter for you-the-reader to decide if it is a good idea or not.

--

The actual models that have contributed to the policy address issues of income and uneven impact across income quintiles. Most people, including those in the lowest quintiles, aren't going to be affected substantively by the change:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

dare you to call Sugar a toff to his face

Oh yeah he might issue a statement about it.

Write a strong op ed in the guardian.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

sebzilla posted:

Viscount Slim,

There's no way this is not a biscuit

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

jabby posted:

The best way to deal with addiction will always be to improve people's lives until they don't feel the need to block out reality, and to support addicts who want to quit.

Actually, availability and pricing has an absolutely immense effect on illegal drug use as well

There are lots of people who begin using because their lives suck, sure, but there are lots of others who describe their lives as having been fine, and can confidently point to their drug use as the thing that made their lives fall apart. There are people who are genetically predisposed toward chemical addiction and others that have problems with impulsive behavior... people don't only choose to drink to "block out reality", it's something lots of people do to handle weird stuff in their life.

Having them reach for a six pack of piss instead of the three-litre of weapons grade cider can make an absolutely huge difference.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
You're all forgetting Lady Garden.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

UK toffs have really cool names. I'd read a young adult novel about the House of Lords.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Please Note: Dicks' Adventures No10-12 have been withdrawn due to court order.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Miftan posted:

UK toffs have really cool names. I'd read a young adult novel about the House of Lords.

:pedo:

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/930745964561825792

:popeye:

Daveman23
Aug 4, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

You're all forgetting Lady Garden.

And Baroness Anelay.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
1) relevant to the nationalism discussion: I wonder how much of the SWA's fury stems from bafflement that Holyrood is supporting a policy that punishes Scotch and favours sweet ciders

2) thanks mr... cameron? the coalition govt backed away really hard from any policies that smelt of social engineering following the fiasco that was the pasty tax, however

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

ronya posted:

maybe I'm confused, but it seems like the general thrust of the linked post was argument over whether Wales is innocent of the original sin of imperialism - which seems relevant re: pretense and injustices

Well, Saith's argument was that we probably shouldn't cast Wales West UK into the sea for its poor economy, because its poverty is the result of exploitation by England East UK and therefore not its fault. The Empire comes up as a point of comparison in the length of time of exploitation. The quoted post then is either irrelevant trivia or, worse, suggesting that West UK deserves its current poverty (and the rest of the UK presumably does not). Of course, we are discussing peoples and economics in aggregate, so it'd be foolish to punish West UK for the sins of individual WestUKmen for the same reason that Sheffield Q. Steelworker isn't going to be held individually and specifically responsible for East UK's imperialist past, or for that matter why the complicity of individual West Africans in the Triangular Trade doesn't make Anglo-American slavery a wash.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well this a thing that just happened.

My youngest child (11) just came up to me and said;

“did you like that television program you were watching yesterday mummy?”
“What program?”
“That reality program with the bad men”
“Bad men?”
“You were shouting at them. Was it a play?”
“I’m confused here my lovely”
“Oh Em Gee mummy!! That thing about Europe being bad!”

BBC Parliament.

Apon seeing it for the first time my baby thought BBC Parliament was some sort of weird apocalyptic reality show where old men were the villains

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very inconsiderate of you to name you kid albert einstein, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

ronya posted:

2) thanks mr... cameron? the coalition govt backed away really hard from any policies that smelt of social engineering following the fiasco that was the pasty tax, however

The Department of Health had been considering this well before the 2010 election. DH have been funding minimum pricing research since at least before 2008 (based on publication dates from Sheffield's alcohol policy research group). The main paper everyone talks about - SAPM's paper on minimum pricing came out 24th March 2010.

• Locked thread