Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rough Lobster posted:

The weird thing about Gamergate is that I've seen posts about it for years but somehow don't know what the gently caress it's about. Like, I deliberately didn't seek out information because it sounds dumb as hell but usually in these cases I'll pick up enough information through osmosis to have a working understanding of the underlying issue.

It's "icky girls have cooties and they're in our treehouse!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Who What Now posted:

Where do they say up front that they're going to lie about their reviews?
The title clearly signposts that the review is going to be biased and negative. There's no way that can give an accurate impression of the movie, so there's definitely going to be misrepresentation if not outright lying. There's no way there could not be.

Inco posted:

Contrary to the old saying, there absolutely are incorrect opinions.
No there aren't. There literally can't be. There can only be popular and unpopular opinions. There are facts, about which one can be objectively right or wrong, and there are opinions, which are statements of preference. However you phrase it, whether it's "I [don't] like this" or "this is {good|bad}" or even "this is [im]moral" it's a statement of preference and is true for you whether or not it's true for other people.

Inco posted:

Reviewing media is very subjective, but all reviews have to actually deal with the media.
No they don't. Who says they do? What are the rules of reviewing? Who came up with them? Who enforces them?

Inco posted:

"I didn't like Schindler's List because I found it absolutely preposterous when Hitler rode into Auschwitz on a robotic horse and murdered everyone in the camp" is not a valid review of Schindler's List. Neither is showing the first, second, and fourth lines of a soliloquy and then saying that the soliloquy makes no sense.
Those reviews may not be useful (to you), but that doesn't actually make them not reviews. They may be deceptive or based on inaccurate information, but they may not actually be intended to help you make a decision about whterh or not to watch the movie. They may not be intended for you at all. And the way their audience receives them may not be the way that you would.

NorgLyle posted:

They're not reviewers.
Just saying something doesn't make it true. Their videos quite obviously fall within the broad and vaguely defined category of "review", so they are reviewers whether they believe it or not and whether or not they want their audience or critics to believe it.

Grem posted:

That's definitely part of the problem. I think CinemaSins is stupid and annoying and just straight up liars, but it's worse when I see a comment on their videos saying that because of the review someone won't be going to see the movie. They're actively hurting a film with criticism that is totally incorrect.
How many people do you think actually wanted to see a film, then watched the CinemaSins episode for it and changed their mind? My guess is that very few (if any) of those people ever actually intended on watching the movie. And even if they did, why do you care?

Inco posted:

As is mentioned in the video I linked, the problem with presenting knowingly fake criticisms next to valid criticisms is that it becomes hard to tell which is which.
Surely that's only a problem if you care about and want to know their genuine opinions about movies? And they actually have a separate set of videos just for that purpose anyway.

Postal Parcel posted:

I hate to jump in here, but I have literally never heard of clickbait NOT being referred to as your prior definition. What in the world do you think Buzzfeed and UpWorthy article titles are?
"When he was 13, he shot her in the face. 20 years later, she helped get him his freedom."
"A blood center went on an awesome, epic rant when asked if it was 'racist.'"
"Before You Say You're Not A Misogynist, Listen To The Second Half Of The Third Sentence From An Author"
"This hilarious ad for a 1996 Honda is the perfect commentary on materialism"

Is none of this clear clickbait to you?
To be clickbait it has to be deceptive though. If it really is a list of 20 lifehacks I won't be able to live without then it's not clickbait it's just an accurate (if attention-grabbing) headline. What makes it clickbait is that it draws you in by promising more than the article or video can deliver. Or by deliberately withholding the one piece of information the audience actually wants, like "you won't believe which celebrity just admitted to taking drugs". All I'm looking for when I click that is the name, which could be in the title but isn't because they don't get paid if I only read the title. The term is pretty self-explanatory. It's bait to lure you into clicking, with the implication that the result is a trap, ie. not what you were hoping for.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If you have women in your organization, they need to stick to making coffee and such. The smarter ones can do a decent job at database organization and some kinds of database programming, and there are plenty of good female content creators, though the top ones are always male. But women are maladapted to large group dynamics. They are better than men at one on one social dynamics, for example superior ability to read people, but though this impressive in family scale groups, women fail disastrously at functioning larger groups, and if you give women leadership roles in such a group, the group will not accomplish its goals. Gays similarly, although the way they fail is different from the way women fail.

The trouble with convergence is that it leads to obvious and spectacular failure. The converged organization just cannot perform its goals. (Remember the Obamacare website.) Now someone is going to say NAWALT (not all women are like that. But if you have any group of substantial size, the rare exceptions, supposing the rare exceptions exist (and the lack of credible poster girls suggest that they do not exist) are too rare to have much effect on the overall group dynamics. And a group of women, or a group containing any significant number of women, cannot keep its eye on the group goals. Women have to operate under male supervision.

This creates a problem in that if the supervision is actually effective, they will seduce their supervisor. The traditional solution to this was either that they were married to their supervisor, or an all female group with an female hierarchy, but with males monitoring the performance of the all female group at every level, for example the traditional system in hospitals where the doctors and orderlies were all male, the nurses were all female, and were under the authority of a female head of their organization, the matron, but the male doctors monitored and directed the nurses moment to moment. Similarly, priests and nuns.

The modern state exists because of modern military discipline. The modern industrial economy exists because of the scientific method, and the joint stock corporation, and the joint stock corporation exists because of double entry accounting. SoX has smashed double entry accounting, Harvard has smashed the scientific method, and convergence is now smashing military discipline.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Tiggum posted:

To be clickbait it has to be deceptive though. If it really is a list of 20 lifehacks I won't be able to live without then it's not clickbait it's just an accurate (if attention-grabbing) headline. What makes it clickbait is that it draws you in by promising more than the article or video can deliver. Or by deliberately withholding the one piece of information the audience actually wants, like "you won't believe which celebrity just admitted to taking drugs". All I'm looking for when I click that is the name, which could be in the title but isn't because they don't get paid if I only read the title. The term is pretty self-explanatory. It's bait to lure you into clicking, with the implication that the result is a trap, ie. not what you were hoping for.

Then it's still deceptive. The "Everything Wrong With" videos don't exhaustively list everything actually wrong with a film, and therefore still fall under your fuckin bonkers definition of clickbait.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Inco posted:

Then it's still deceptive. The "Everything Wrong With" videos don't exhaustively list everything actually wrong with a film, and therefore still fall under your fuckin bonkers definition of clickbait.

Gays show up for work infrequently, drunk, and stoned, steal the petty cash and office equipment, commit acts of violence against co-workers. If a high socioeconomic status male commits a crime typical of low socioeconomic status males, he is probably gay. Women are more conscientious than men, gays considerably less conscientious than straights. If a lawyer swindles his client, probably Jewish. If he flat out robs his client with a knife, probably gay.

Drug tests are low status, for low status people and low status jobs, and high status people resent them, so you lose some smart people by drug testing, but on the other hand, you keep out most of the gays without committing sacrilege against political correctness. Discriminating against drug users is a good proxy for discriminating against all the people you are forbidden to discriminate against.

Unfortunately drug testing does not discriminate against women, but fizzbuzz type tests do discriminate against women very effectively. If you insist that those who manage technical people have enough technical ability to understand what those they manage are doing, you can keep women out.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
You’re a true hero, LoB. :911:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Please everyone shut up about CinemaSins.

Especially you, Tiggum.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Gays show up for work infrequently, drunk, and stoned, steal the petty cash and office equipment, commit acts of violence against co-workers. If a high socioeconomic status male commits a crime typical of low socioeconomic status males, he is probably gay. Women are more conscientious than men, gays considerably less conscientious than straights. If a lawyer swindles his client, probably Jewish. If he flat out robs his client with a knife, probably gay.

Where does a gay woman fall in this ranking
Asking for a friend

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was a D&D mod when the Gamergate thread was moved there, and for the life of me I couldn't get anything out of it. It's not about anything coherent ideology, it's just a complex of conspiracy theories and gut reaction related to an imagined community of gamers.

It wasn't that complex. People were just mad that women existed.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Zombie as stand-in for minority, yes. Zombie as stand-in for capitalism, shoot it in the head. Twice.

Ultimately there's such a broad swath of zombie media out there that's it's impossible to claim that any one reading or treatment is the one truth beyond some incredibly broad fundamentals. There's plenty of stuff that portrays zombies as an absolute other that must be battled for our own preservation, and there's plenty of stuff that questions every part of that, whether zombies are an unsavable other, whether they must be fought, or whether the fight is actually preserving anything.

But the latter has been around long enough in enough properties that anyone claiming "if zombies attacked us tomorrow, idiots would be concerned for their right because we are such a decadent society of sjw snowflakes" comes off as pretty dumb. I'm pretty sure that exact story is out there, except it takes the logical step of showing the sympathetic people just dying because they wouldn't defend themselves instead of worrying that they exist at all.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

there wolf posted:

Ultimately there's such a broad swath of zombie media out there that's it's impossible to claim that any one reading or treatment is the one truth beyond some incredibly broad fundamentals. There's plenty of stuff that portrays zombies as an absolute other that must be battled for our own preservation, and there's plenty of stuff that questions every part of that, whether zombies are an unsavable other, whether they must be fought, or whether the fight is actually preserving anything.

But the latter has been around long enough in enough properties that anyone claiming "if zombies attacked us tomorrow, idiots would be concerned for their right because we are such a decadent society of sjw snowflakes" comes off as pretty dumb. I'm pretty sure that exact story is out there, except it takes the logical step of showing the sympathetic people just dying because they wouldn't defend themselves instead of worrying that they exist at all.

Fear the Walking Dead's first season had something akin to a "Black Lives Matter", "hands up, don't shoot", etc. type event in the first season when people were just getting used to zombiesthe walking dead. There are other moments in both this and other zombie type media where it's people holding out hope for a cure or who just can't (re)kill their loved ones and don't want others to do it either.
There's also the movie "The Returned"(or the returners?) that deals with Zombie Rights after a drug that slows the infection has been discovered(similar to PrEP I guess)
and a movie where the zombie threat has almost disappeared, but people are so hungry for excitement that there's an island that has a safari-like experience with those who are still zombied but haven't been killed. Bonus points because there's what could be considered a millenial liberal activist who causes the island to erupt into chaos when she releases the zombies from captivity and gets bitten/eaten.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was a D&D mod when the Gamergate thread was moved there, and for the life of me I couldn't get anything out of it. It's not about anything coherent ideology, it's just a complex of conspiracy theories and gut reaction related to an imagined community of gamers.

that was one of the funniest threads to follow, watching a gaggle of subhuman mouthbreathers get slowly ground down into nothingness by an endless legion of pedants

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Cythereal posted:

It's "icky girls have cooties and they're in our treehouse!"

It's half that and half "Mom's threatening to take away my videogames!"

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Nah Walt

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

nerdz posted:

Nah Walt

Lost for like 3 seasons.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Walt Walt Don't Tell Me

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/Bardissimo/status/930557471189618690

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Tiggum posted:

No there aren't. There literally can't be. There can only be popular and unpopular opinions. There are facts, about which one can be objectively right or wrong, and there are opinions, which are statements of preference. However you phrase it, whether it's "I [don't] like this" or "this is {good|bad}" or even "this is [im]moral" it's a statement of preference and is true for you whether or not it's true for other people.

That's exactly the mindset that gives you neo-nazis parading in US streets and allows the KKK to still exist in loving tyool 2017

"Well he's of the opinion that white males should rule the world, and who are we to say that's not correct. White supremacy is just unpopular!"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fathis Munk posted:

That's exactly the mindset that gives you neo-nazis parading in US streets and allows the KKK to still exist in loving tyool 2017

"Well he's of the opinion that white males should rule the world, and who are we to say that's not correct. White supremacy is just unpopular!"

This is a comment on the topic of a random youtube channel and people liking/not liking it and now we're at neonazis. Is that a proper Godwin?

I don't want to comment on the initial topic or anything, but if anything is IOSM, it's a full-on Godwin!

Midnight Voyager has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Nov 15, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah it's pretty much a Godwin :shrug:

cnut
May 3, 2016

:q:

MOOBS!
Dec 10, 2013

you know that iint real

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ever notice how you never see Tiggum and Misterbibs arguing in the same threads?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fathis Munk posted:

By enforcing anti sex rules selectively upon the elite, we make the elite unattractive, with the result that women want to mate dysgenically.

We need to enforce anti sex rules selectively upon the non elite.

Obviously it should be illegal and subject to the death penalty for a man and a woman to get together behind closed doors, when that woman belongs to another man, so in a sense this is a move in the correct direction, but the trouble is we are only restraining the sexual behavior of affluent white males, not of dope dealers, criminals, and blacks, so criminals and blacks get all the pussy, and get to look, and act, way more manly than the guy in the corner office.

The concept of consent requires verbal and verbalizing consciousness. And sex predates verbal and verbalizing consciousness by a very long time. The part of your mind that decides to have sex is far older and more powerful than the part of your mind that is capable of making up a narrative about what you are doing and why.

We can meaningfully apply the concept of consent to marriage, where a woman consents to move from one household and the authority of one male, to another household and another male, but trying to apply it to sex winds up with the absurdity that each thrust needs a legal notary.

If the door is closed, and the woman does not swiftly make an exit, sex is likely to ensue, and she consented to the likelihood that it would ensue. If a man and a woman are together in private in a secure place for a reasonable length of time, there is good chance that they are going to have sex regardless of what they theoretically intend. If a woman consents to be alone with a man in private, she knows full well that sex may well ensue. If you cannot really expect to leave the large economy sized bag of potato crisps half full, regardless of your intentions, you cannot really expect to refrain from having sex, regardless of your intentions.

The reason Harvey Weinstein is now getting in trouble is that he is fat and has been getting fatter. If he had lost weight and lifted iron, he could have hit them over the head with a brick and gotten away with it.

The trouble with the way the left is enforcing restraints on male sexuality is that it means that Jeremy Meeks gets all the pussy. We need to enforce a no-getting-together-behind-closed-doors rule starting with Jeremy Meeks, rather than starting with Harvey Weinstein and Mike Pence. Our testosterone is falling, and we are getting stupid. But that the left is getting stupid is a very good thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Fathis Munk posted:

No it isn't. Acknowledging that opinions are not objective facts doesn't mean you have to tolerate ones you disagree with. Unless it's your opinion that all opinions should be tolerated, I guess. But the two are not connected. "All people should have the same rights and opportunities" is an opinion, and if you hold it then you oppose white supremacists. You don't have to pretend there's some objective morality that exists in the universe to want to eliminate certain beliefs and actions. It's people getting together as a society and deciding which opinions they generally hold in common that forms the basis for laws. There isn't an objective reason that murder is bad, because the universe doesn't care if we kill each other. But we care. We have very strong opinions on the subject and we generally don't tolerate anyone who advocates for murder. Not because "murder is bad" is an objective statement of fact but because it's a popular opinion.

cnut
May 3, 2016

MOOBS! posted:

you know that iint real

I thought there was a good chance, yes.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Tiggum posted:

No it isn't. Acknowledging that opinions are not objective facts doesn't mean you have to tolerate ones you disagree with. Unless it's your opinion that all opinions should be tolerated, I guess. But the two are not connected. "All people should have the same rights and opportunities" is an opinion, and if you hold it then you oppose white supremacists. You don't have to pretend there's some objective morality that exists in the universe to want to eliminate certain beliefs and actions. It's people getting together as a society and deciding which opinions they generally hold in common that forms the basis for laws. There isn't an objective reason that murder is bad, because the universe doesn't care if we kill each other. But we care. We have very strong opinions on the subject and we generally don't tolerate anyone who advocates for murder. Not because "murder is bad" is an objective statement of fact but because it's a popular opinion.

Meanwhile, every liberal woman on Facebook is currently blowing up feminism to protect Hollywood with the #metoo campaign.

There is no scenario in which both Hollywood and feminism survive. Ten years ago they could have sacrificed Weinstein to gin up enough outrage to get Trump.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

RareAcumen posted:

Ever notice how you never see Tiggum and Misterbibs arguing in the same threads?
Tiggum and Misterbibs right before hitting that Submit Reply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJziegBSNXg

Science!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Interesting new take on ending a derail from some posters there, didn't pan out this time but sure look. Godspeed.

Joy Reid is terrible

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/930214256737488896

cnut
May 3, 2016

Sarcopenia posted:

Tiggum and Misterbibs right before hitting that Submit Reply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJziegBSNXg

Science!

:eng101:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

I'm imagining that your avatar is the OP.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EmmyOk posted:

Interesting new take on ending a derail from some posters there, didn't pan out this time but sure look. Godspeed.

Joy Reid is terrible

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/930214256737488896

I don't know why, but seeing an image like that and then scrolling down and seeing "Gourmet Hot Takes/NuclearTakes" below it with no comment makes me laugh myself silly.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Trig Discipline posted:

Y'all may have already seen it, but there's a Chrome extension that renders Trump's tweets in crayon and sometimes it's actually kinda adorable.

this is hilarious

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh come on, it's not that hard to parse.

GG is the standard reactionary impulse repurposed for males that don't have charming suburban ranch houses (plus garage) w. white picket fences, 2.5 respectful children and a happy homemaker housewife in an apron. Indeed, thanks to late-stage capitalism, they will likely never have any of those things. Lacking the traditional levers to pull on in order to get them all creepily over-protective & hot under the collar about the encroaching 'other,' the ideology gets refocused around video games instead.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I think they're just losers who can't get laid

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Weatherman posted:

I don't know why, but seeing an image like that and then scrolling down and seeing "Gourmet Hot Takes/NuclearTakes" below it with no comment makes me laugh myself silly.

Please follow Gourmet Hot Takes. It's totally up the alley of anyone who reads this thread.

https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Gamergate was started because Zoe Quinn's ex was mad she broke up with him so he spread around the most obvious lie in the world. 4chan and Reddit were so eager to kick girls out of the gamer treehouse they bought it entirely and the ~*rest is history*~.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Not going to worry about getting rid of his name because he is a real loving moron and this is public. I'm just curious what exactly is, 'a little bit of gayness'? I want to see that sliding scale.

enigmahfc has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Nov 15, 2017

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's not an actual video to play so I have no idea what this is referencing. Gay sex on the new Star Trek?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
It's Seth MacFarlane's new show on Fox, The Orville. Which doesn't have enough jokes to be a Star Trek parody or the actual thoughtfulness to be a good Star Trek.

It's funny because the episode he's complaining about depicted sexual coercion played for laughs and consent gained through chemically altering people, but the real problem for him is the guy was drugged into being gay.