Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah the problem is the stability and range of their tributaries combined with the amount of money and tech they have. It's hell wars to get them down. Like I want to do the Hormuz achievement and one of the best tactics I've seen is become a tributary early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

Yeah the problem is the stability and range of their tributaries combined with the amount of money and tech they have. It's hell wars to get them down. Like I want to do the Hormuz achievement and one of the best tactics I've seen is become a tributary early on.
Thats how I did it and it made it a breeze.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
One change in CoC which I have barely seen mentioned but is quite significant if you're actually playing in the Middle East is that the terrain in the newly revamped map areas is much more granular. By which I mean, for example, no longer is every single province in a gigantic belt of provinces between the Black Sea and central Iran mountains; there's highlands, drylands and even some grasslands in there, so fort placement is significantly more meaningful, and you have better provinces for development. Also mountains are only 35% development penalty now which is pretty nice if you're Inca or anyone else with a bunch of mountainous gold provinces.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Non East Asian religions shouldn't ever willingly become a tributary. That would be enough to keep the Dharmic and Muslim states nearby from joining the Mingsphere.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Mantis42 posted:

Non East Asian religions shouldn't ever willingly become a tributary. That would be enough to keep the Dharmic and Muslim states nearby from joining the Mingsphere.

This seems like a fairly quick solution which would restrict their "freebie" sphere of influence to Tibet, Korea, Japan and mainland SEA, which sounds just about perfect. And it also puts a nice clear dividing line between the states which are part of the natural sphere of China (and thus, can take the Mandate for themselves) and others who might want to expand there, but can't take the Mandate.

What gets loving annoying is when you don't want anything to do with China but they have random tributaries in India for some reason and you have absolutely no benefit to gain from taking China on directly so you just kind of sigh and pretend that OPM doesn't exist any more.

L0VE
May 3, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

What gets loving annoying is when you don't want anything to do with China but they have random tributaries in India for some reason and you have absolutely no benefit to gain from taking China on directly so you just kind of sigh and pretend that OPM doesn't exist any more.

Yea this made me quit a Garhwal run where I was en route to unify India, but there was this tiny little Ming tributary with no other allies. So I figure, what the hell, I'm stronger than Ming, I'll just stackwipe their armies until I can peace out for the land. Now, I play on Very Hard so I'm fine with the AI getting bonuses (and Ming should be powerful, sure), but holy loving poo poo. Ming ran out of manpower within a year and then recruited 100 000 mercenaries (yes literally 100 loving merc stacks) and kept sending them to die. To defend this Indian minor Ming lost more than half a million soldiers, which is the point where I quit the run. I could've invaded Ming, siege them down and taken their stuff, but my goal was just to unify India, and get the fort achievement.

Maybe my problem is more with mercenaries and all out war for allies in war, but I think everyone knows something needs to be done tbh.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

In my Korea game a massive blobbing Bengal covering almost a third of India got tributary CB declared on and all of their allies came charging in to defend them from Ming. Instant KO. A few ten thousands dying of attrition in the jungles? Who cares? Half of them are magically conjured mercenaries from the void and the rest are reinforcements being instantly teleported across the Himalayas because that's not a difficult supply route in any way.

I am untouchable. No one can declare war on me. It's like I've activated a cheat to prevent the AI from doing anything beyond defending itself.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In general they need to do something to limit a country's global power projection. Countries in that time period should have trouble just moving their armies around in their own territory, but you regularly see countries in game marching enormous armies across entire continents while suffering only minor attrition. That feeds into the Ming problem - not only can they make tributaries over a ridiculous distance, but they also are able and willing to defend them with overwhelming force. Unfortunately I think that's something that's going to have to wait for EU5.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Speaking of Ming, I just managed to cause a mingsplosion.

The question is: would now be a good time to become Qing? Having a ton of permanent claims and ditching the bad parts of being a horde would be nice, but I also don't want to ditch the good parts of being a horde.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

born in the steppe die in the saddle
hordein' and swordin' is all that i uh

crave

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fister Roboto posted:

In general they need to do something to limit a country's global power projection. Countries in that time period should have trouble just moving their armies around in their own territory, but you regularly see countries in game marching enormous armies across entire continents while suffering only minor attrition. That feeds into the Ming problem - not only can they make tributaries over a ridiculous distance, but they also are able and willing to defend them with overwhelming force. Unfortunately I think that's something that's going to have to wait for EU5.

Yeah, the AI desperately needs some sort of internal 'what is this worth to me' meter to determine how much they're willing to commit. I think the whole war/peace mechanic could use a big overhaul.

A system where you have to declare your exact goals ahead of time and can't just 'wing it' because you're crushing them would be a good start for smarter/better peace AI.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Still think Ming should just get no mercenaries period.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

The question is: would now be a good time to become Qing? Having a ton of permanent claims and ditching the bad parts of being a horde would be nice, but I also don't want to ditch the good parts of being a horde.

Imo stay Manchu until you start running out of good options to farm Horde Unity.

You want most/all of your neighbors as tributaries eventually so you don't tank your Mandate when you become Qing.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Wow, I thought Mingsplosions were a thing of the past, even with the Undefended Frontier disaster.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

Wow, I thought Mingsplosions were a thing of the past, even with the Undefended Frontier disaster.

It's still possible, but you definitely have to be more proactive about it. I stopped being a tributary as soon as I had 300 development and they passed their first reform, and then waited for them to get the disaster. Unfortunately they declared war on me before that, but then the disaster fired during the war so I was able to turn it into a win and take Beijing. That tanked their mandate, but it still wasn't enough. So once the truce was over I declared war on them, steamrolled their armies, and took their capitol and a bunch of forts. Then, when they had max war exhaustion and rebels were starting to pop, I signed a white peace. They exploded a few years later.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of a Cradle of Civilizations DLC and patch feature overview that rests somewhere between the short Paradox video and a full on early access let's play?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fister Roboto posted:

No. Conquering a bunch of Chinese minors together with trying to manage a bunch of them as tributaries is annoying. I deliberately caused Mingsplosion on my first post-MoH Qing run and rapidly regretted my decision. Also, honestly, Manchu is a lot stronger than Qing in most ways.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Forming Qing isn't the same as taking the Mandate, right? So why would you need to juggle tributaries?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

it's insanely stupid that forming qing lifts the HORDE ON OUR DOORSTEP disaster for ming since qing isn't a horde

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

nessin posted:

Anyone know of a Cradle of Civilizations DLC and patch feature overview that rests somewhere between the short Paradox video and a full on early access let's play?

The official patch notes?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Forming Qing isn't the same as taking the Mandate, right? So why would you need to juggle tributaries?

Yeah that's correct. Taking the mandate does give you the Unify China CB, which is only 50% AE, but I really don't think it's worth it.

I think I'll stay as Manchu. Forming Qing does give me permanent claims, and 25% less coring cost on all of China is pretty huge, but being able to raze provinces and use the horde CB (75% AE) means I can conquer China faster.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I will probably never play Ming because after my run where it became the junior member in a PU with me, Japan, in 1470, I know I will never come close to having that much fun with China again

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Autism Sneaks posted:

I will probably never play Ming because after my run where it became the junior member in a PU with me, Japan, in 1470, I know I will never come close to having that much fun with China again

How did you keep their liberty desire below a million percent?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
They should just make it so tributaries don't get to auto call Ming into war. The fact that the tributary doesn't have to worry about the biggest power in the world coming to mess their poo poo up is already a pretty nice deal.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i mean it's a protection racket, right? nice country, shame if something were to happen to it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gobblecoque posted:

They should just make it so tributaries don't get to auto call Ming into war. The fact that the tributary doesn't have to worry about the biggest power in the world coming to mess their poo poo up is already a pretty nice deal.

Yeah this is the staggeringly obvious change that should have been done ages ago.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

L0VE posted:

Yea this made me quit a Garhwal run where I was en route to unify India, but there was this tiny little Ming tributary with no other allies. So I figure, what the hell, I'm stronger than Ming, I'll just stackwipe their armies until I can peace out for the land. Now, I play on Very Hard so I'm fine with the AI getting bonuses (and Ming should be powerful, sure), but holy loving poo poo. Ming ran out of manpower within a year and then recruited 100 000 mercenaries (yes literally 100 loving merc stacks) and kept sending them to die. To defend this Indian minor Ming lost more than half a million soldiers, which is the point where I quit the run. I could've invaded Ming, siege them down and taken their stuff, but my goal was just to unify India, and get the fort achievement.

Maybe my problem is more with mercenaries and all out war for allies in war, but I think everyone knows something needs to be done tbh.

This is something the AI does in EU4 in general. Fortunately, they just spam infantry mercs and run around with large infantry-only armies. Not particularly hard to deal with, just annoying.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It would help if they made the AI smart enough to not throw 10,000 ducats of mercs away (not counting maintenance) in order to protect a single tiny tributary. Like, it would seriously help a lot when fighting against tributaries if the AI actually treated them like they should—only rarely worth fighting over.

Alst
Aug 9, 2007
s
Finally decided to finish my great horde game (1.21), are there anything in the next two dlc's worth getting? The Russia one seemed pretty bad.

Ming makes this pretty easy, just tedious. Really dislike the Asia changes from 1.20

Alst fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Nov 15, 2017

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Eldred posted:

How did you keep their liberty desire below a million percent?

Very carefully

Serious answer: this was before the liberty desire calculation rework that would have made such a union untenable, I want to say in 1.19 "Denmark"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It would help if they made the AI smart enough to not throw 10,000 ducats of mercs away (not counting maintenance) in order to protect a single tiny tributary. Like, it would seriously help a lot when fighting against tributaries if the AI actually treated them like they should—only rarely worth fighting over.

Yeah, I personally would like it to be something like a mandatory Condottiere. That way the amount of force that they can send is limited, and is a small increase for a powerful nation, but a very welcome power boost for a small nation. It would make large nations more likely to break the tributary status, and would make conquering smaller tributaries something that can happen without Ming sending endless waves of men.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Autism Sneaks posted:

how did you get a pu as non christians

L0VE
May 3, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

Yeah, I personally would like it to be something like a mandatory Condottiere. That way the amount of force that they can send is limited, and is a small increase for a powerful nation, but a very welcome power boost for a small nation. It would make large nations more likely to break the tributary status, and would make conquering smaller tributaries something that can happen without Ming sending endless waves of men.

This seems like a great idea if they could get it to work. Allies in general could probably do with only being called in this way for CB's like Diplomatic Insult, Trade War/Conflict and Humiliate Rival, where occupying 80% of 3+ nations provinces isn't really reasonable in relation to your demands.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

oddium posted:

how did you get a pu as non christians

You used to be able to do it as anyone. It must have been in an old patch, as mentioned, pre-liberty desire too.

IIRC in EU3 1.0 unions and inheritances were like.... totally random and way more common, and like... Savoy would just up and fully inherit France and poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oh i didn't start playing until right before rights of man. old game sounds bad mostly condolences

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

L0VE posted:

I did Garhwhal's achievement a couple of days ago, simply by being Ming's bitch all game. Cleared that problem right up!

It's still immensely idiotic, that you have to pay a Ming tax if you want to play beyond Eastern Europe as anything but the strongest of nations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

You used to be able to do it as anyone. It must have been in an old patch, as mentioned, pre-liberty desire too.

IIRC in EU3 1.0 unions and inheritances were like.... totally random and way more common, and like... Savoy would just up and fully inherit France and poo poo.

I still remember my first game as the Ottomans, where I quit after the Crimean khanate got a PU over me when my starting ruler died a year into the game.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Fintilgin posted:

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

I feel like my memory is playing tricks on me because I don't remember EU3 looking that ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tombom
Mar 8, 2006

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I feel like my memory is playing tricks on me because I don't remember EU3 looking that ugly

They improved it significantly with expansions but on release it was definitely this hideous. The gameplay was pretty awful too, there was a reason Magna Mundi became so big

• Locked thread