Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just playing standard non ranked matches in rocket league. The skill disparity is pretty hilarious between the obviously new players and basically everyone else. Pro-tip: don't constantly chase the ball at every opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah my number 1 tip for beginners is don't crowd the ball. Stay slightly farther away than you think you should.

Let the idiots throw their cars randomly at the ball and exploit any opportunities that are presented when they gently caress up.

Which is often when three cars start ramming the ball.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Get to 50 jump ropes then just hammer the b button as fast as you can and you'll get over 100 jumps.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I found that my hours and hours of overwatch lucioball gameplay is helping me win matches in GOTY Rocket League on the Nintendo Switch.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does anyone know of a video that shows the world size of the Minecraft Switch version (or at least the 'medium' sized world)? I know it's something like 3,072x3,072 but I'd like to actually see how big that is, in terms of someone walking from one end to the next.

EDIT: I guess this works (with Medium being the size for the Switch version of MC):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC6ZHUajGGM

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 15, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/WormsTeam17/status/930813385322762240
That's November 23rd. I'm cautiously thrilled of this.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Louisgod posted:

The seal bouncing race mini game was absolutely stellar and I would buy a separate game based on those physics in a heartbeat. The controls anc bouncing felt perfect.

It is a fun minigame, but getting the moons in them was aggravating.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Just hit me that Rabbids and Worms would make a good mixup as well.

E: also lemmings. gently caress I want new Lemmings.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I think my favorite Nintendo thing is how they make really cute accessible games that anyone can pick up and play and beat, but also have endgame content that is just ballbustingly difficult. Mario games always do this, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most is Yoshi's Wooly World. Cause that game is VERY easy and chill, until you play the bonus stages. Especially the one where the piranha plant chases you ESPECIALLY if you're trying to 100% the game. I got good ol' fashioned Angry AT This Nintendo Game doing those and it was awesome. Give me DKCR3 already please

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I think my favorite Nintendo thing is how they make really cute accessible games that anyone can pick up and play and beat, but also have endgame content that is just ballbustingly difficult. Mario games always do this...

*remembers Rainbow Road from Super Mario World.

Yeah, this checks out.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We can pretty much thank the Souls games for either making a player base that wants to be kicked in the junk repeatedly or making everyone including Nintendo aware enough to emphasize difficulty more?

Oh yeah platinum made a lot of money doing the same thing so

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

*remembers Rainbow Road from Super Mario World.

Yeah, this checks out.

Star Road

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

LethalGeek posted:

We can pretty much thank the Souls games for either making a player base that wants to be kicked in the junk repeatedly or making everyone including Nintendo aware enough to emphasize difficulty more?

Uh. Nintendo has been doing this longer than the Souls games has. I haven't touched any of the Souls games. I just love challenging platforming levels (on the opposite side, I played Wolfenstein on the easiest babby mode)

edit: challenging WELL DESIGNED platforming levels.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

LethalGeek posted:

Souls certainly helped bring this to the forefront recently but yeah, games where you have to learn and are punished for getting sloppy or complacent have always been around

Especially when games were much smaller in scope and they had to rely on difficulty to make games meatier, companies that executed this well set the foundation for what many consider to be good game design

Companies who implemented this lovely can rot in hell though (this was most of them)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I honestly have been considering trying this, god knows I can't do it normally.

The easiest thing is to toss the hat on each jump after like 30. You get 2 jumps counted per jump and you can vary the timing to reset if you are getting closer and closer to the rope. Its so much easier than every other trick out there

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah I definitely meant recently. I grew up with old fashioned Nintendo or Arcade hard games and somewhere in the 2000s everything got pretty stupid easy for a while. Hard modes were more tedious things like HP sponges or throwing more bodies out without actually being fun. I got the impression Souls came out and people really hit that old fashioned wall for the first time in a while and to my surprise at the time people dug their teeth in.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

I think my favorite Nintendo thing is how they make really cute accessible games that anyone can pick up and play and beat, but also have endgame content that is just ballbustingly difficult. Mario games always do this, but the one that sticks out in my mind the most is Yoshi's Wooly World. Cause that game is VERY easy and chill, until you play the bonus stages. Especially the one where the piranha plant chases you ESPECIALLY if you're trying to 100% the game. I got good ol' fashioned Angry AT This Nintendo Game doing those and it was awesome. Give me DKCR3 already please

Mario Kart is good about this as well, even back to the SNES version. 50cc is just the most relaxed good-time feel-good experience but 150cc/200cc may as well be totally different games. But all the courses and all the characters are unlocked by the lower-tier races.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah I definitely meant recently. I grew up with old fashioned Nintendo or Arcade hard games and somewhere in the 2000s everything got pretty stupid easy for a while. Hard modes were more tedious things like HP sponges or throwing more bodies out without actually being fun. I got the impression Souls came out and people really hit that old fashioned wall for the first time in a while and to my surprise at the time people dug their teeth in.

Yeah it was refreshing to see people who had zero experience with "nintendo hard" games to really get into the sense of reward and excitement that danger and the need to pay attention adds to games

Which also confirmed my suspicions that people who coined the term "nintendo hard" are in fact giant pissbabies

The best part really is that we have more devs thinking about game design in a more deliberate way, I'm happy this trend is back for good

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Which also confirmed my suspicions that people who coined the term "nintendo hard" are in fact giant pissbabies

I dunno, I think that difficulty in Nintendo games has a very different feeling than difficulty in other games. There's a certain sense of polish in all their stuff, and that polish is also shown in how they design their difficult stuff. Which makes it stand out more when there's something hard in a Nintendo game that doesn't feel as good (some stuff in the final level of Mario Odyssey for instance). I would definitely say there's hard and then there's "Nintendo hard" because it just feels different.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Huxley posted:

Mario Kart is good about this as well, even back to the SNES version. 50cc is just the most relaxed good-time feel-good experience but 150cc/200cc may as well be totally different games. But all the courses and all the characters are unlocked by the lower-tier races.

Do these games still suffer from the extremely bad rubber banding?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

Kinda not really. Less ai magically goes fast stuff its more anyone in 12th is gonna get stars, bullet bills, 3 mushrooms, lightning bolts, or blue sheets vs 1st gets an air horn 1% of the time and crap otherwise. Items help keep the pack together but players still have to play well enough to take advantage.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Yeah it was refreshing to see people who had zero experience with "nintendo hard" games to really get into the sense of reward and excitement that danger and the need to pay attention adds to games

The best part really is that we have more devs thinking about game design in a more deliberate way, I'm happy this trend is back for good

Unlike most "nintendo hard" games, dark souls actually has a good difficulty curve and well designed encounters

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

cage-free egghead posted:

As in do they artificially keep CPU racers competitive with the player? Its hard to tell for me. Like in MK8 sometimes a racer will get absolutely owned at the right time and they will never recover, but I don't know if they just choose another racer to take their place as your "challenger". Either way once you're familiar with the courses its not much of a problem to outpace CPU opponents.

Now if you mean does it still have crazy comeback items that will gently caress you over at the last second, oh for sure.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Unlike most "nintendo hard" games, dark souls actually has a good difficulty curve and well designed encounters

I've heard people say mega man is "Nintendo hard"

Mega man is not hard or unfair lol (though 1 and 2 are a janky mess)

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not exactly but it’s probably the best of the online Bomberman games now. I really think it’s worth a purchase used or on sale now.

Really? I picked up R when I got my Switch and absolutely hated it. The last Bomberman I played was the 360 Xbox Live one which was a rare multiplayer game I loved and played many thousands of games of, but R felt off. The weirdly angled point of view, the controls, everything just felt not quite right. I hated every minute I played of it, though I only gave it a couple of hours. Maybe I need to give it another chance. I do miss me some Bomberman.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not even the first. Hell especially not the first. They literally give you an item that lets you skip platforming challenges.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think they do keep pace with the player. In GP mode, if you pick a loadout that has maxed out handling, acceleration, boosts and really low top speed, the top speed isn't really noticeable. Whereas you'll get pwned if you do that in MP or time trials. There's also some weird stuff that goes on in a GP race with one real player that's really good and one real player that's not so much.

I personally have come to see that Mario Kart GP could use an overhaul. Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed seemed to have a more fair GP mode. Time trial still rules, though.

They should pull a BotW and make the next Mario Kart an epic gran turismo type thing.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

And this is what happens when you grow up a Genesis kid.

:negative:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Well some people call anything that doesn't play itself hard. People have different skill levels and find different things difficult.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

"Nintendo Hard" was because early on games were often ports of arcade games designed to eat quarters and later on designed not to be beatable in a weekend, requiring mastery, to counteract rentals.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think they do keep pace with the player. In GP mode, if you pick a loadout that has maxed out handling, acceleration, boosts and really low top speed, the top speed isn't really noticeable. Whereas you'll get pwned if you do that in MP or time trials. There's also some weird stuff that goes on in a GP race with one real player that's really good and one real player that's not so much.

I personally have come to see that Mario Kart GP could use an overhaul. Sonic Racing All Stars Transformed seemed to have a more fair GP mode. Time trial still rules, though.

They should pull a BotW and make the next Mario Kart an epic gran turismo type thing.

I did Time Trials for the first time in MK8D and it was the most fun I've had with a MK game. Something about the setup, memorizing lines and hitting perfect runs scratched an itch I didn't know I had.

And yeah, I would like to see them do a little more exploration of the MK formula. The rule for 150/200 is basically, "They're going to be on your rear end no matter how fast or slow you are, so you might as well maximize handling and boost," and that isn't all that different from the wisdom of MKSNES using Toad on 150 for the same reasons.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I've personally always differentiated from Nintendo hard and just downright cheap and unfun game design, which yes was pretty drat common at the time as well

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

KingSlime posted:

Go beat MegaMan 2 on difficult and come back and tell me it ain't hard, bruh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tatsuta Age posted:

Go beat MegaMan 2 on difficult and come back and tell me it ain't hard, bruh

I already did that like 50 times. It's not really any harder than normal you just have to fire a few more shots.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Nintendo Hard to me is what I described above: cute accessible games that has really hard endgame levels and/or challenges.

I have heard the phrase "getting Nintendo'd" for dumb but funny deaths that can happen, usually when you see a secret or something at the last minute and try to go back for it and die in the process. Autoscrollers for instance this will happen. Or a platform will move suddenly right out from under you even though it was clearly telegraphed and you feel like an idiot. That's the good poo poo

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I will say, the stupid 4 rehashed level gaunlet with 2 "robot masters" per level after the regular 8 bosses in MM3 was uncharacteristically harsh and it kinda makes me hate the second half of that game

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Vidaeus posted:

So I recently finished Zelda and am looking for another game for the switch. I'll be going on an overseas trip soon with some long flights so would like something to keep me entertained. Currently tossing up between the new Mario Odyssey or Mario vs Rabbids. I only want to buy one for now. Can anyone convince me one way or the other?
gently caress that, you've just finished a megagame, go for a handful of smaller indies imo: Golf Story, Steamworld Dig 2, Axiom Verge, Shovel Knight, there's lots to choose from.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

crowbb posted:

Really? I picked up R when I got my Switch and absolutely hated it. The last Bomberman I played was the 360 Xbox Live one which was a rare multiplayer game I loved and played many thousands of games of, but R felt off. The weirdly angled point of view, the controls, everything just felt not quite right. I hated every minute I played of it, though I only gave it a couple of hours. Maybe I need to give it another chance. I do miss me some Bomberman.

The 60fps patch alone did a lot for me to improve the game. It feels a lot more smooth to control now.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vidaeus posted:

So I recently finished Zelda and am looking for another game for the switch. I'll be going on an overseas trip soon with some long flights so would like something to keep me entertained. Currently tossing up between the new Mario Odyssey or Mario vs Rabbids. I only want to buy one for now. Can anyone convince me one way or the other?

I think Mario Odyssey has more variety to it. I really enjoyed seeing what little surprises were in each new world, you can lose some hours just kinda seeing what's new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

For the other people who bought that 128gb card from Best Buy last week... heard anything? Was expecting it to be delivered on the weekend, but it's still at the 'we've received the shipping information' stage according to FedEx since the 9th.

• Locked thread