Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Despite hating Bruce Tinsley and everything he believes in, I legit find Mallard Fillmore entertaining and look forward to seeing them.

Go get'em you drunk little duck you. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aramek posted:

Despite hating Bruce Tinsley and everything he believes in, I legit find Mallard Fillmore entertaining and look forward to seeing them.

Go get'em you drunk little duck you. :kimchi:

This is just baffling

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is just baffling

I have a weird soft spot for Mallard Fillmore just because of how much poo poo it's rightfully gotten that I pretty much view his comics as parodies now and laugh from that perspective

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Henchman of Santa posted:

People need to calm the gently caress down about cheese. It's a great food, but every other post on my Facebook timeline is a video about some awesome cheese related recipe. It's reaching bacon territory.

I love cheese too and I agree with you. I get a queasy feeling every time I see one of those videos with the slab of melted cheese they just drop on some other kind of food.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

King of Foolians posted:

I love cheese too and I agree with you. I get a queasy feeling every time I see one of those videos with the slab of melted cheese they just drop on some other kind of food.

Yeah I hate that. lovely recipe videos with zoomed-in slomo shots of a pound of melty cheese.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
People opposed to deer hunting are telling you they don't know jack poo poo about deer or hunting.

And the capacity to create and use tools is a human's greatest natural defense, so the complaint about it not being fair is bogus. Ain't nobody bitchin' when chimps use spears or an alligator sets up bird traps.

Hunting thoughts.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've never eaten cheese

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Das Boo posted:

People opposed to deer hunting are telling you they don't know jack poo poo about deer or hunting.

And the capacity to create and use tools is a human's greatest natural defense, so the complaint about it not being fair is bogus. Ain't nobody bitchin' when chimps use spears or an alligator sets up bird traps.

Hunting thoughts.

I think deer are cute and I would never harm one just for the sake of it, but I do understand that they are pests and hurt a lot of people on roads.

also venison is really good if it's cooked right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I've never eaten cheese

The gently caress I am amaged that you don't know the pleasures of milk gone off big time stylee.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EmmyOk posted:

I've never eaten cheese

lol if you're lactose intolerant

just lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t like smug hunting people. I can understand the necessity of certain hunts without being excited about humans who get off on killing. Helps that they’re usually right-wing bozos.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hunting for food is fair enough. Not a fan of hunting for sport, though. No strong feelings on fishing, because you can usually throw them back if you don't want to eat them, whereas you can't really put a fox or a badger back together after the bloodhounds are through with it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hunting for food is fair enough. Not a fan of hunting for sport, though. No strong feelings on fishing, because you can usually throw them back if you don't want to eat them, whereas you can't really put a fox or a badger back together after the bloodhounds are through with it.

Fishing, much like hunting, is good as long as you follow the rules. I definitely prefer catch and release, but when you're in norway for probably the only time in your life, when you catch a 70 pound cod it's almost disrespectful to throw it back. As long as you actually use it and aren't doing it purely for sport I don't see anything wrong with that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Randaconda posted:

lol if you're lactose intolerant

just lol

I'm not

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All the hunters I've ever known use the meat. A lot of them are on the poor end of the scale and count on their kills to feed their families. And adrenaline spoils the meat, so everyone's going for a quick kill. Deer will also wreck their environments and wind up starving to death over the winter, so hey.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Fishing, much like hunting, is good as long as you follow the rules. I definitely prefer catch and release, but when you're in norway for probably the only time in your life, when you catch a 70 pound cod it's almost disrespectful to throw it back. As long as you actually use it and aren't doing it purely for sport I don't see anything wrong with that.

Seems reasonable.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Das Boo posted:

All the hunters I've ever known use the meat. A lot of them are on the poor end of the scale and count on their kills to feed their families. And adrenaline spoils the meat, so everyone's going for a quick kill. Deer will also wreck their environments and wind up starving to death over the winter, so hey.

Same. Everybody I know who hunts around here hunts to supplement their food.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

there's a big difference between killing a deer to put in your freezer and eat, and rich guys flying to Africa so they can blow a Rhino's head off and post it on Facebook.

Not that that is an unpopular opinion just saying not all hunting is created equal. I do find mounting animals a very weird practice though unless it's for educational purposes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

there's a big difference between killing a deer to put in your freezer and eat, and rich guys flying to Africa so they can blow a Rhino's head off and post it on Facebook.

Not that that is an unpopular opinion just saying not all hunting is created equal. I do find mounting animals a very weird practice though unless it's for educational purposes.

Yeah trophy hunting is indefensible, even moreso if it's an endangered species.

I think these kind of hunters are not the real problem though. It's the people who think tiger cock or rhino horn is "medicine" that are the problem. They are what really drive the poachers to do what they do. Same with shark fins - most chefs agree that shark fin soup is nothing special and shark fins taste like nothing, but there is such a demand for it in asia that they will cut a shark's fins off and dump it back in the ocean still alive because its meat is not worth the fuel cost to bring it back to port.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

Hunting thoughts.

As someone who used to be against hunting in my teens: Hunting is good*, rifle shooting is fun, deer jerky is the best jerky available, deer suck

*don't hunt loving bobcats or wolves or bears you assholes, hunt pest animals only

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I've never eaten cheese

I've jokingly asked a few times why you were made a mod but now I'm going to actually have to file a formal complaint and I don't appreciate you making me do that

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pedophiles need a support system to get the help they need to prevent themselves from being a danger to children, and that means fostering an environment where they can talk about needing help with that issue.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Pedophiles need a support system to get the help they need to prevent themselves from being a danger to children, and that means fostering an environment where they can talk about needing help with that issue.

I feel like sexual crimes in general shouldn't be treated like murder cases, in that the ramifications have often lead to the perpetrator killing the victim because they know the end result will be the same and they have a better chance if there isn't anyone to talk about it. I don't know what the proper answer to that problem is though

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Better mental health services I imagine. By keeping our people mentally fit we can prevent a lot of undesirable behaviours.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

Better mental health services I imagine. By keeping our people mentally fit we can prevent a lot of undesirable behaviours.

Would we be able to go so far as to let the state determine if forced mental counseling or inpatient treatments are necessary with out a crime?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yes. The State is good.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I feel like sexual crimes in general shouldn't be treated like murder cases, in that the ramifications have often lead to the perpetrator killing the victim because they know the end result will be the same and they have a better chance if there isn't anyone to talk about it. I don't know what the proper answer to that problem is though

I'm not sure that I follow, exactly, how sexual crimes are treated as murder cases. Like, the sentencing should be lighter for crimes with a sexual component, or you'd wish for prisoners' rights to be taken more seriously, so that inmate-on-inmate violence isn't considered some kind of justice?

In-prison violence is absolutely a huge human rights issue, but I'm not sure I'm reading you right, is all.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Would we be able to go so far as to let the state determine if forced mental counseling or inpatient treatments are necessary with out a crime?

Maybe I am misreading, or this is a joke that I am not getting, but is this seriously not possible in the US? Like, if someone's GP or psychiatrist or whoever believes that you are a legitimate threat to your own or others personal safety, you can't be forcibly committed if no crime has committed? I'm honestly surprised if that's the case.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think he means that there should be a non-negligible difference in consequences for rape vs murder, because if they’re the same or near enough, why wouldn’t you kill your victim to quiet the only witness.

The right answer would be that you wouldn’t murder because you’re not human garbage. But if you’re doing a rape then I suspect that ship has left the dock if not passed out of the harbor completely.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Imo there should definitely be an outlet for say, a pedophile or someone with rape or murder fantasies to self-report and get nonjudgmental therapy before they hurt someone. And yeah, sex criminals (and all criminals) should get more rehab and therapy and less abuse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There was a really good NPR piece about this a few years ago. Basically mental health professionals won't touch them with a ten foot pole because they are scared of being stigmatized themselves. They don't really have any outlets to get better, so they are pretty much stuck regulating themselves or going down a dark path. I wish I could remember more about it. It was pretty interesting.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Aren't right to privacy laws regarding mental health practitioners basically doing this? I guess more education and less stigmatised media would be good, but I think there are more winnable fights.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

iirc it basically covered how almost no one wants to specialize in it. it featured a doctor who wanted to serve pedophiles and they said they were basically outcast for it, and they also interviewed a pedophile who said he had to use online support groups to keep himself at bay. He claimed that he couldn't find a mental health professional that didn't kick him out after the first visit.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Aramek posted:

Yes. The State is good.

I, too, enjoy 90's absurdist sketch comedies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I, too, enjoy 90's absurdist sketch comedies.

I'm outta heeeeeeeeeeeeere.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I dont think trans people should compete with and alongside cis people. At least we should take it on a case by case basis to determine if a given trans athlete has an inherent advantage or disadvantage against cis athletes (bone density, muscle mass, strength, etc.). And i say all of this as a trans woman genderweird myself lol.

Blue Star has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Nov 16, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Awesome. See you guys in like 5 pages.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Imo there should definitely be an outlet for say, a pedophile or someone with rape or murder fantasies to self-report and get nonjudgmental therapy before they hurt someone. And yeah, sex criminals (and all criminals) should get more rehab and therapy and less abuse.

while i have sympathy for the overall situation of someone's screwed up brain releasing heaps of dopamine whenever they imagine/do something they know is extremely hosed up and wrong that unfortunate situation also makes them statistically very likely to offend and re-offend (sex criminals have some of the highest rates of recidivism in the criminal world) and there's little to no real information about how to reliably help them reject their own impulses when their brains reward these gross behaviors so intensely, we can't reliably expect rehabilitation/therapy to solve this issue so it's hard to imagine a more effective situation than what we have now with locking someone up for their own good for a time and then later having them warn neighbors about the consistently increased danger they present living nearby once returned to society - i'm sure general improvements like a less abusive prison system might have some effect but i'm not sure if it'll be the silver bullet

either way this arrangement can turn someone into a pariah but, alternatively, can we expect parents to not have misgivings about these people when we know these facts? it's tough

to make things worse i'm also familiar with cases of psychologists ultimately sharing some legal responsibility for their pedophile clients' crimes because defense attorneys have actually successfully argued that course of therapy they recommended was ineffective, and possibly made the client more likely to offend than normal, so it's not uncommon for a client to throw their psychologist under the bus if it'll mitigate their own sentence, legally untangling genuine attempts from a sincere psychologist who's trying to cure their patient from the criminally destructive/criminally negligent practices of an irresponsible psychologist is a grey area that i'm not surprised some professionals try to avoid altogether, to try and figure out the best rehabilitation do we try out experimental therapies on people who haven't offended yet and hope it doesn't make the situation worse for them or do we just experiment on prisoners who've already offended? is that an ethical situation? i don't envy anybody dealing with these questions

hard counter has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Nov 16, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Isn't it like trying to pray the gay away? Honestly seems like they just drew a bad hand and they are hosed. Nobody wants to be born a pedo and there's probably nothing to help.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hard counter posted:

while i have sympathy for the overall situation of someone's screwed up brain releasing heaps of dopamine whenever they imagine/do something they know is extremely hosed up and wrong that unfortunate situation also makes them statistically very likely to offend and re-offend (sex criminals have some of the highest rates of recidivism in the criminal world) and there's little to no real information about how to reliably help them reject their own impulses when their brains reward these gross behaviors so intensely, we can't reliably expect rehabilitation/therapy to solve this issue so it's hard to imagine a more effective situation than what we have now
We can't expect rehabilitation to work because we have no information, but the "solution" we have now is clearly not working (as evidenced by the high recidivism rates) and we're not collecting any more information or trying any other solutions. And anyone who wants to collect more information or try anything else just gets shouted down.

Mu Zeta posted:

Honestly seems like they just drew a bad hand and they are hosed. Nobody wants to be born a pedo and there's probably nothing to help.
What are you basing that on though? No one's really done any proper research into the subject because it's incredibly unpopular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't it like trying to pray the gay away? Honestly seems like they just drew a bad hand and they are hosed. Nobody wants to be born a pedo and there's probably nothing to help.

that's a fair assessment yeah although it's also fair to say these people actually do have no alternative but to pray it goes away, knowing if there were better ways of praying or whatever would be a start since i doubt there'll ever be an acceptable outlet, outright rejection is prob the only way out

recidivism at least isn't 100% so some people are finding a way out, maybe studying willing people who've stayed clean a long while would be a start in sorting out this issue