Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Random IIMM: in movies with robots, why do humans always treat them like poo poo? It's a staple in Alien, and in the shitstorm that was Covenant, the surviving humans RUN PAST THEIR ANDROID WHO HAS SAVED THEM and leave him to die on that planet instead of taking two seconds to shoot both androids and grabbing the one that heals.

Look at how humans treat humans who are servants, slaves or just a lower social status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
On the other end of the scale you have that film where a dude jerks off over his IPhone.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Drunken Baker posted:

On the other end of the scale you have that film where a dude jerks off over his IPhone.

Like you could resist Scarlett Johansson making gently caress noises in your ear.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cowslips Warren posted:

Much like the dinosaurs of Jurassic Park, they were genetically engineered sharks.

Also, idiot bitch scientist didn't know that sharks in fact do get cancer. I don't even have a goddamn degree in biology and it's a known fact for anyone who dabbles in sharks beyond Shark Week and Jaws.

They could have easily closed off a loving cove somewhere with a magnetic fence so the sharks got fresh water and the scientists could control the environment.

Random IIMM: in movies with robots, why do humans always treat them like poo poo? It's a staple in Alien, and in the shitstorm that was Covenant, the surviving humans RUN PAST THEIR ANDROID WHO HAS SAVED THEM and leave him to die on that planet instead of taking two seconds to shoot both androids and grabbing the one that heals.

I would save my smartphone and my laptop if I could. They... they mean everything to me.

I'd also try to save my wife, I guess.

Honestly though, with the cloud being as ubiquitous as it is, I'd imagine any android worth its salts would have a backup floating around somewhere.

Edit: To be honest, I make fun of my microwave when the auto-reheat option gets confused about what I am reheating. "What? You don't know how to reheat a bowl of pasta? Really? Even I could probably figure that out. Error? Go back to Microwave school!"

Edit2: I don't have friends. Help me.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

Look at how humans treat humans who are servants, slaves or just a lower social status.

Or just have slightly different skin color or are from a different country or have different genitals.

Humans are masters at finding reasons to be assholes unnecessarily.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
That guy will be first against the wall on Judgement Day

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Omg he's obviously testing their self-correcting balance so they can make improvements and, ultimately, a better robot I do the same thing with my kids and eventually ones going to live to see grade school and loving run little league.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That little four-legged robot's balance adjustments are really cute. :3:

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think that's an easy one - the androids/robots aren't people and only "think" what they are programmed to. In the real world you wouldn't expect someone to show loyalty to the machine that saved them. It kind of irritated me in Stargate SG-1 when everyone was questioning whether it was wrong of them to betray the human form replicator just because he showed emotion - Jack was right, he's still just a robot no matter how nice of one he was, and given the nature of the replicators it was better to err on the safe side.

In a sci-fi story (unless it's specified otherwise) I assume that if a robot displays personality and emotion, they're intended to be a sapient, sentient being. A true artificial intelligence, rather than just a machine programmed to mimic human behavior. These stories usually have a trend of "good guys treat AI as human, bad guys treat AI as machines". Either that or the story explicitly raises a theme of "where do we draw the line of humanity?"...and I feel like the implicit answer is usually that we should respect the sentience of self-aware artificial beings, and treat them as we would like to be treated.

...Which is why comments like yours always surprise me! Fallout 4's main storyline has a big focus on the concept of "synths"--near-undetectable artificial humans, some of whom don't even realize that they aren't normal humans. I was shocked when I saw people online saying things like "Well I don't have sympathy for them, they're just robots". Either those people were roleplaying as their in-game character (who can choose to side with anti-synth factions) or they hugely misread the ethical values implied by the story and the characters you interact with throughout the game.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just can't see how you can view a thing created by humans as an equal - they would be a marvel of our technology and innovation but they still aren't people.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

I just can't see how you can view a thing created by humans as an equal - they would be a marvel of our technology and innovation but they still aren't people.

humans are created by humans though and they're apparently people

Basically bro the human brain is just a sack of chemical and electrical signals. Why is that more deserving of personhood than a synthetic thing that is also a mix of chemical and electrical signals? Because someone made it by hand as opposed to making it with their dick?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Anytime a movie has human-looking talking robots whose lips/vocalizers could possibly ask "am I reaaaaal?", the metaphor is always discrimination against actual humans. That's the point.

You were created by humans.

EDIT: Part of the genius of the new Blade Runner film was to show a sliding scale of people -> not people. You had free born humans, flesh and blood Replicants, and lastly holographic phones programmed to love you. All three groups distrust each other.

Squidster has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Nov 15, 2017

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Man a human being can identify with anything that has a face. People will get themselves killed to save a dog.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Squidster posted:

You were created by humans.

They didn't create the process through which I was created, there's a huge difference.

Basically what I'm saying is if something like the fallout universe happens, I'll be on the anti-synth side.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

They didn't create the process through which I was created, there's a huge difference.

Basically what I'm saying is if something like the fallout universe happens, I'll be on the anti-synth side.
Are humans born through artificial insemination real people? How about Caesarean section? They're human-designed processes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

So it only counts if it's the result of millions of years of random poo poo happening? Why does that make you more of a person than a synthetic thing that can act and behave exactly the same as you?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Squidster posted:

Are humans born through artificial insemination real people? How about Caesarean section? They're human-designed processes.

Those are just procedures using the fundamental mechanism of creating a new human, which they did not create. They are just alternative ways of using that process. When you put a processor into a robot body everything is entirely in the human's control.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Slime posted:

So it only counts if it's the result of millions of years of random poo poo happening? Why does that make you more of a person than a synthetic thing that can act and behave exactly the same as you?

If you create life not by using natural processes that already exist but by your own ingenuity, you are inherently superior to it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

If you create life not by using natural processes that already exist but by your own ingenuity, you are inherently superior to it.

try saying that when the killbots are using your skin to decorate their charging docks

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Theoretically you could build a human out of component molecules. Is that the same as a robot?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

This was the same argument used in Prometheus,and you see how that worked out - we got two awful loving movies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bamhand posted:

Theoretically you could build a human out of component molecules. Is that the same as a robot?

That would make you a God, so yes, you could treat your creation as an inferior robot that will do your bidding.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

That would make you a God, so yes, you could treat your creation as an inferior robot that will do your bidding.

Scientists have grown artificial meat in a petri dish. It's not a stretch to think they could build a person in the coming decades/centuries.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Hypothetically, if you programmed a AI factory to build paperchlips, which then independently decided to build a flesh and blood person from component particles to make more paperclips, are you inherently superior to the mass-produced robot-built humans?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bamhand posted:

Scientists have grown artificial meat in a petri dish. It's not a stretch to think they could build a person in the coming decades/centuries.

I still think it would be a separate class of being.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Squidster posted:

Hypothetically, if you programmed a AI factory to build paperchlips, which then independently decided to build a flesh and blood person from component particles to make more paperclips, are you inherently superior to the mass-produced robot-built humans?

The bigger question is if I'm superior to the paperclips

looking at myself i don't think that's true

Serf
May 5, 2011

:yikes:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mega man x was clearly superior to dr light in literally every way, therefore

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Man a human being can identify with anything that has a face. People will get themselves killed to save a dog.

Someone killed John Wick's dog and 83 people died.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In Castaway Tom Hanks paints a face on a volleyball and talks to it like it's his friend and literally no one found that implausible because people do poo poo like that. Once robots are good enough people will totally empathize with them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And gently caress them!

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

zoux posted:

And gently caress them!

You say that like people aren't already trying to gently caress them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slime posted:

You say that like people aren't already trying to gently caress them.

:heysexy:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

syscall girl posted:

Remember the Aibo? People would buy multiple ones just to kick the poo poo out of them. Some people are hosed in the head just enough to want to hurt things but smart enough to know there are consequences for doing that to humans or animals. :shrug:

Someone post roast beef explaining what happens when someone mistreats his Sino.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
Yo if you watched Wall-E and didn't feel more compassion for the trash robot than the human characters in that film idk what to tell you

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Just because we frame human-like robots as an allegory for race acceptance in our science fictions does not mean actual robots in the future aren't something to be fearful of.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Depressio111117 posted:

Yo if you watched Wall-E and didn't feel more compassion for the trash robot than the human characters in that film idk what to tell you

How many humans and sentient aliens die from space explosions in Rogue One? And yet I only had feels for K2SO. Go figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
You folks are buying into the robot's propaganda and are gonna regret it. All "hmmm well if I set off this EMP I am basically Hitler" while Killbot XL rampages. Make Humanity Great Again, folks.