Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I totally forgot that they didn't join up with Rick et al to fight, they just kind of moped after they had their guns taken, had Tara flip them off then disappeared from the cast entirely

If only I could do that with my addiction to TWD.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Where are the garbage dump people in all this as well, they joined up with Negan and they're just mixed in with his people now?

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JossiRossi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/v23urLi.mp4

I'm no moist turtleneck, but I probably spent as long on this as they (they show editors) did.

They actually did a fine job in making the all the little holes and steam appear, ignoring the size of the gun anyway. Then they sent it over to the explosion guy who just ran it through some lovely blingee app. It's hypnotically poo poo.

I'd love to see this but with that Run Forrest scene from Forrest Gump and bullets bouncing off his head instead of rocks.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Maybe they should call this show The Talking Dead
https://i.imgur.com/kwvFBj4.mp4

Once again, hitting hosting time limits on imgur made this way funnier

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So in the preview, Negan just rushes at Gabriel and pins him to the floor. That's it. Next he's going to make Daryl suck his dick, and he will actually thank him for it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

So just to recap this season so far, the plan was to kill Negan and therefore no other casualties would be needed, but instead we get 4 episodes of war for...reasons?

The writers are doing an outstanding job at loving yo the pacing of the war. In the comics the whole thing takes a few days for the whole thing to occur/finish. The show is showing like no frame of time of when these hits are occurring.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

JossiRossi posted:

This is how I feel every monologue

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JossiRossi posted:

Holy gently caress. Beteween you and Turtleneck you make this thread worth watching.

SA might be small, this thread might get like 5 posts a day, but it's gif jokes are 1000000x better than anything I've ever found on Reedit

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shitenshi posted:

So in the preview, Negan just rushes at Gabriel and pins him to the floor. That's it. Next he's going to make Daryl suck his dick, and he will actually thank him for it.

I have to admit I'd actually given the show credit when THE PLAN (TM) is revealed and they go to get Negan and find him riddled with bullets by Battle Priest

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The writers are doing an outstanding job at loving yo the pacing of the war. In the comics the whole thing takes a few days for the whole thing to occur/finish. The show is showing like no frame of time of when these hits are occurring.

I have no idea when it started, where it's going, what's at stake, where they are, or anything else. The characters all know the plan the audience doesn't, it was loving dumb as poo poo. Though I suspect at this point they have as much plan as a Cylon.

I won't blame the comic. I know a lot of people trash it and I've never read it but every single time I see a "this is what AMC was trying to do" comparison panel there's like.. 50 little details that make it far, far more reasonable than the TV version. It's like Gimple looks at the comic page for EXACTLY 10 seconds, then throws it in a paper shredder and wings it from memory without putting of his own thought into it.

I say Gimple because there's no way this many directors are this poo poo. They're getting bad orders.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 15, 2017

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

GobiasIndustries posted:

So just to recap this season so far, the plan was to kill Negan and therefore no other casualties would be needed, but instead we get 4 episodes of war for...reasons?

Only one person has to die and Rick flunked math

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Meanwhile Fear just keeps getting better!

http://tvline.com/2017/11/14/garret-dillahunt-fear-the-walking-dead-season-4-cast/

quote:

Garret Dillahunt Joins Fear TWD as Series Regular in Season 4

:dance:

Now the only question is how many characters will he be playing...

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Too bad it has the showrunner from the current walking dead

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Astroman posted:

http://tvline.com/2017/11/14/garret-dillahunt-fear-the-walking-dead-season-4-cast/

Ideally it’s his Terminator character without actually saying he’s a Terminator.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I returned to carry on with the series - I watch most TV with my wife but I'm not going to subject her to this. You definitely can't mock people for not paying attention while watching the show any more, no-one should have to give it their undivided attention.

The things that stood out the most to me...
Ezekiel's actor's been trying really hard but has really been let down by the story. That bit where they declare that they will win because they have strategy... and what's the strategy? Walk right into the arms of the EVIL enemy and pretend to surrender. But why would Negan's evil army accept the surrender and let their guard down? It's such an obnoxious cliche in so many action shows, how the bad guys just want to take people prisoner and that is invariably their undoing. Meanwhile Our Heroes really have to hold themselves back from executing everyone on the spot, and are usually proved wrong when they do.

At least with Morales there was a justification in not outright killing Rick, they had some history and Negan wanted Rick for himself. I think his actor must've watched a lot of Peter Stormare, I got a lot of the same vibes, like the way his lower teeth stick up at the front of his mouth, and the over-pronunciation. His introduction was good, a quasi-tense sneak down a corridor, and I actually jumped a little when Morales' appeared. But then he did literally come out of nowhere so I don't mind admitting they got me. We don't just get teleporting zombies any more, then the same happened with Kingdom axe dude. He must've made a ton of noise as he approached, plus he roar but nooope, get bifurcked duuuude. To counter teleporting side-characters, the zombies could never quite catch up with Ezekiel, no matter how close they seemed, no matter how many times they stopped to pontificate for 30 seconds, and no matter how much Ezekiel had to limp. Much they should've tried rolling instead? I think they could have saved the series if they started calling them rollers instead of walkers.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Blazing Ownager posted:

I have to admit I'd actually given the show credit when THE PLAN (TM) is revealed and they go to get Negan and find him riddled with bullets by Battle Priest

I have no idea when it started, where it's going, what's at stake, where they are, or anything else. The characters all know the plan the audience doesn't, it was loving dumb as poo poo. Though I suspect at this point they have as much plan as a Cylon.

The Cylon mention is great because one of the closest comparisons to this war arc I can think of is the New Caprica arc from Battlestar Galactica.

Except there the mystery about the battle plans was fed to the viewer in clues so when it all came together it was hugely satisfying rather than this jumbled mess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Astroman posted:

Great news, that guy owns face, but..

moist turtleneck posted:

Too bad it has the showrunner from the current walking dead

gently caress you Gimple

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
oh yeah why couldn't the king's second in command just carry the king around the stupid acid moat

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGiIsk2NHtg

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Ideally it’s his Terminator character without actually saying he’s a Terminator.

No. gently caress it.

He's the same character. The zombie plague was Skynet saying "You know what? gently caress John Connor" and just ending humanity instead. He must now get the help of Eugene, the one who invented time travel in his timeline, to rebuild a time machine and save humanity before Skynet emerges from the bunkers with an army of unbitable endoskeletons.

I'm in.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You know, it couldn't be any worse than what it already is.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's really staggering how much better z nation is this year

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I have stopped watching. It used to be my favorite show but after two episodes it really just felt like a chore.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Wow-I am really glad I didn't spend money on the season pass this year.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
gonna be honest last night we had a friend over and he wanted to watch the newest episode while we played cards so i went in having not seen the others, and it was entertaining enough (Jerry’s Moment was pretty great). maybe the other episodes were worse, and it wasn’t great tv, but walking dead has only really had a few amazing episodes ever. i enjoy this thread and it’s hate orgasms but i think i also get why some other people are having a good time with it still, this Ezekiel episode was definitely more entertaining at least than last seasons’ grind felt.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
That poor loving tiger...

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Captain Log posted:

Don't feel bad, it obviously got cast on a better show.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Log posted:

Don't feel bad, it committed suicide. It could have obviously just walked on out with a few scratches but it decided it wanted off this loving show

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

JossiRossi posted:

I was kind of hoping that seeing all of the Ren Faire huzzah poo poo at the beginning meant he was going to die at the end of the ep but, okay bye CGI Tiger with the keen discrimination for good and bad guys. :(

It would have been cooler if the tiger let Ez ride it like a horse back to the kingdom. It would have worked because the rest of the episode was just as absurd.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

zeal posted:

it's really staggering how much better z nation is this year

And that's saying something when that show has literal Zuggalos.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Inadequate Areolas posted:

I was kind of hoping that seeing all of the Ren Faire huzzah poo poo at the beginning meant he was going to die at the end of the ep but, okay bye CGI Tiger with the keen discrimination for good and bad guys. :(

It would have been cooler if the tiger let Ez ride it like a horse back to the kingdom. It would have worked because the rest of the episode was just as absurd.

If they embraced the schlock I might get back in. Right now I just can't even

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Bates posted:

If they embraced the schlock I might get back in. Right now I just can't even

Yeah, it's kinda how I felt during S5 - like the only way it'd be worth it for me now is if they went the Evil Dead route. Stopped watching this series with Negan coming in, since I figgered "You know what? Youtube clips of this champ will suffice from now on."

Did watch only S3 of FTWD tho and...while I wouldn't call it good, I would at least call it passable with one or two eps that I genuinely consider good. Ep 4 in particular, tho I dunno it could just be due to so much spanish being spoken and just the whole revisit of El Salvidad as a character.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I've been lurking in this thread forever. I loved the show, started to get worried last season and I cannot BELIEVE my eyes now. What in the WORLD changed to make these last few episodes so obviously way worse? What?

But, I will freely admit I love the drat characters/actors so much I will keep watching until the bitter end.

Anyone know what the hell happened that it's so drat bad now?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I think it was always bad (at least after the first few episodes), but in the early days us TV-only viewers didn't know how simple and childish the source comic was, and the whole world of possibilities was ahead of us, and we imagined all sorts of cool possibilities and directions it could take, and now we're reaping the rewards of 8 seasons of giving really bad writers the benefit of the doubt.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's always been a show with great episodes buried in the mix. And the biggest fans seem to hate the best episodes, like Daryl and Beth's Excellent Adventure

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Remy Marathe posted:

I think it was always bad (at least after the first few episodes), but in the early days us TV-only viewers didn't know how simple and childish the source comic was, and the whole world of possibilities was ahead of us, and we imagined all sorts of cool possibilities and directions it could take, and now we're reaping the rewards of 8 seasons of giving really bad writers the benefit of the doubt.

I honestly kinda also feel like some things from the comic are just impossible to take to TV at face value. I mean, Negan is a prime example of that - he is literally written as the ur-comic book villain and no matter how good the actor is, that baseline will always translate very poorly to any other medium you try to take him outside of an actual comic. Within it, he's just a crass, smug prick that loves the sound of his own voice way too much, but for me it felt the comic's format still justified it. In the TV show, I can stand a youtube clip of him or two per week or so, but any more and I'd be just like "Come the gently caress on with this rear end in a top hat, already!" and yea - it's impossible to justify nowadays as to why snipers haven't put a dozen bullets through his poo poo-eating posturing grin by now when this is taken from comic book still picture format to live action.

Of course, by this point the writers of the TV show really have given up any kind of attempt at nuance, I feel, and are just ripping straight from the comic to the show without any real thought or regard for dramatic changes. I actually really liked the start of S4 and where they and the actor took the Governor, because I felt like maybe they were actually going to go for their own takes on him that could lead on an interesting different direction, only to have that poo poo ended in exactly the same place and everything literally railroaded back on track. Then I got my hopes up a bit again with the city cops plot in the second half of it, and that was just ehhh...and I kinda started feeling back then already that the writers on this really aren't that talented to pull something like this off, since it does take some skill to pull off any kind of adaptation properly enough.

By this point I dunno, I feel like they're just lazily checking the boxes of 'happened in the comic' and harvesting nerd money TBH, while of course spending most of the money on the higher salaries of the actors who feel like they need it to put up with this poo poo.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 19, 2017

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

In the first few sesons they seemed to be more inspired by the comic, and did a lot of different stuff (Daryl, the entire arc of Carol's character, etc).

The past few seasons, it seems they are more dedicated to aping the comic and hitting all it's beats, and only providing slight deviations but getting to the same plot points in the end. When you watch Talking Dead and hear the producers talk, you get a real sense of the importance to them of having characters die the same way onscreen as they do in the comic, as if it was fated that it must be written that way. Also there seems to be a greater emphasis on replicating exact panels of the comic on the tv show.

It does not help now that Kirkman is still writing the comic, so hes basically writing the future seasons out now but is also influenced by the show as it goes on. He said last week he only created the tiger to see if they could do it on tv.

Contrast this to a show like The 100, which only took character names and the basic premise from the books and then went off in a totally different direction and created a much larger and more interesting world.

What makes this a drag is that the show is more and more shackled to being true to the source material, which is a comic and comics tell a very different story in different ways. It would be like writing a novel based on a soap opera and having all the drawn out stories, repitition, twin brothers, people coming back from the dead, outrageous heel/face turns and crazy plot twists.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Saw about 10 seconds of a preview for tonight's episode and it has Negan and priest-man sitting in the trailer just hamming it up

gently caress you, TWD

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ohgod if it's going to be a talky bottle episode I might have to wait till next week so that there's a normal episode to watch right after.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

In my best neegan voice

Get your poopy pants ready. Got some real SERIOUS poop for you. WOW! Gonna pee pee all in your pants. You do NOT want to poop those pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Johnny Truant posted:

Saw about 10 seconds of a preview for tonight's episode and it has Negan and priest-man sitting in the trailer just hamming it up

gently caress you, TWD

sounds better than most episode of TWD. :confused:

i mean Negan is dumb as hell for many reasons but his monologues themselves aren't one of them, because Jeffery Dean Morgan is a terrific actor and it's fun listening to him shred scenery