Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:qq:

https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/930853174667333633

I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN THE INVESTMENT CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE INVESTMENT CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS.

lol compare and contrast this with ol' muskie's comments about the black tesla worker that should have had thicker skin and gratefully accepted apologies from the coworkers that called him n****r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought the third best selling car is actually the nissan altima? i know it's third "most common" or something like that, maybe not best selling...

i have one. the lolest part is that it has a feature called "sport" mode. it has a CVT, and CVT's don't have shift points. some people need shift points or they can't get their car boners, so if you select sport mode (which is its own entire position on the shift lever), the car will simulate shift points. it doesn't actually change poo poo about poo poo, it just makes the thing disconnect the engine intermittently so it sounds like it's shifting.

other fun side effect of having a CVT: it can go as fast in reverse as it can go in drive

CVTs suck rear end.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

this whole thread from the beginning is real good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
musk is easily triggered

I actually do not want tesla to fail, I want them to succeed but by doing so by start treating workers better, stop doing reckless dangerous poo poo, and stop being too focused on stupid failing nerdbait tacticlol poo poo like gulling doors, and android galaxy pad control console

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
in what is surely a huge surprise to everyone, using one weird trick to sidestep medical ethics rules turns out to not be such a good idea

quote:

Moreover, that piece of information was included in an October 6 statement from SIU School of Medicine dean Dr. Jerry Kruse. He was responding to an inquiry from Lisa Buchanan of the federal Office for Human Research Protections, which is part of the HHS. In September, Buchanan had reached out to Kruse, asking essentially why an SIU researcher was conducting a clinical trial without following HHS regulations.

According to HHS records, SIU had committed to following all HHS regulations—including safety requirements and having IRB approval and oversight—for all clinical trials, regardless of who funded the trials. If SIU fails to do so, it could jeopardize the $15 million in federal grant money the university receives for its other research.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Xaris posted:

musk is easily triggered

I actually do not want tesla to fail, I want them to succeed but by doing so by start treating workers better, stop doing reckless dangerous poo poo, and stop being too focused on stupid failing nerdbait tacticlol poo poo like gulling doors, and android galaxy pad control console

so basically, you want them to fire musk

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Munkeymon posted:

if you're talking about websites, which they were, then yeah because nobody wants a 'standard' website because marketing

of course then they hire someone at six figs to spend more time making what they could slap together on squarespace in a few days

except they do http://www.novolume.co.uk/blog/all-websites-look-the-same/

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Big gubbmint stepping in the way of progress with its burdensome regulations again! :ancap:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

lancemantis posted:

Big gubbmint stepping in the way of progress with its burdensome regulations again! :ancap:
meh dont worry theil will get some repubs to repeal and gut it (even more than the bare thread of life it has lol)

after all, does anyone know what HHS REALLY DOES? sure as hell sounds like some commie universal health care to me, don't need none of that poo poo in are country

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Endless Mike posted:

could have saved some space by putting the shower around the toilet imo

i think this has come up before and i think i said the same thing then: just install a toilet seat on the wall in the shower.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Cold on a Cob posted:

and remove his honorary founder status

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Cold on a Cob posted:

into the sun, yes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

into the sun, yes

the notorious difficulty of such a launch is certainly beyond the aptitude of spacex

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the notorious difficulty of such a launch is certainly beyond the aptitude of spacex

i will also accept into the ocean or a mountain

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

the thing is a cvt should have zero response time. i blame people that complained about the nissans not feeling like they were accelerating they held 3500rpm accelerating all the way from 20-70.

sorry can’t keep the rpms at something optimal, people don’t like the feel of it

yeah it's weird, at low speeds it's responsive and fine, but once you're like, trying to accelerate quickly at higher speeds it's got this weird delay and the rpms do all sorts of weird poo poo idk

it doesn't bother me though cuz it car and it go bep bep

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tell him he's going to mars and then make it a slingshot that turns the orbit into a sun-dive

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

tell him he's going to mars and then make it a slingshot that turns the orbit into a sun-dive

tell him were gonna prove star trek iv right

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
F1 actually banned CVTs for outperforming their counterparts

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

tell him were gonna prove star trek iv right

how dare you associate musk with the best trek

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

duTrieux. posted:

how dare you associate musk with the best trek

look im trrying to justify plausible ways to get him to slingshot himself into the sun

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
make a drone racing league where you can make cars that do whatever insanely lethal unsafe poo poo you want, then drive them remotely

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I saw a brand new Model X today where the door handles were completely misaligned and the front edge of the back door was jutting out at an awkward angle. imagine having that kind of money to throw around and not noticing that

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Brings to mind the idiom, Perfect is the enemy of the good. If it bothers you, they're going to have to pull the door apart to fix it. Probably not a problem, but it could create a different issue.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

loving idiot fanboys looked at Elon Musk’s factory, a recycled 1980s GM/Toyota plant that they got rid of for being too lovely, and insisted that it was going to revolutionize manufacturing.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Significant Ant posted:

F1 actually banned CVTs for outperforming their counterparts

my favorite piece of banned f1 tech is still the car in the 70s that had a fan on the back to generate downforce. it also had the side effect of keeping other drivers away by hurling rocks and debris at them.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

my favorite piece of banned f1 tech is still the car in the 70s that had a fan on the back to generate downforce. it also had the side effect of keeping other drivers away by hurling rocks and debris at them.

hell yeah

https://i.imgur.com/X8R45V8.jpg

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The_Franz posted:

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Apparently the organizers discovered that car's behavior because the drivers behind it in the starting line noticed that it would squat down on its suspension whenever the engine revved

After that first version of the car was banned, they made another one that directed 55% of the suction air over the engine and claimed it was a cooling fan

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jesus what the gently caress

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I like the spring loaded turbo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I think my favorite banned car designs though were the old venturi lotuses. They flattened the bottom of the car into an aerodynamic plate, shaped so that it would form a venturi channel only a few centimeters wide with the road as the opposite surface. The low pressure in the channel would suck the car to the ground, and the faster the car went, the more downforce it would generate.

This was a great idea except that a slight change in the height of the venturi would cause it to instantly lose effectiveness. So the car would be coming around a corner at the edge of traction, hit a tiny rock that raises the corner of the car up two inches, the venturi stalls, the downforce evaporates and the car spins off the track.

Banning that one was probably the right move.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Anyway here's an awesome thing

quote:

My husband is an engineer, and we've been together for 3 years, and bought a house together last year. He's always been a tinkerer and I've been fine with it but lately it has gotten out of hand. It started with a smart lock. I don't know why I regular lock wasn't fine, we live in a safe neighbourhood, on the 7th floor in an apartment. I don't think I've ever worried about a break in, but now I need to pull my phone out to unlock a door instead of my keys, and the app is buggy and crashing constantly. He keeps telling me how much better it is because we can remotely unlock our doors, but why would I ever need to do that? When the battery runs out I have to end up using a key anyway, so I don't get the point of this thing, but fine. I lived with it. 
Next came the smart TV. It never worked. It was connected to some type of raspberry thing, constantly breaking down. Every time I would ask him for help he got frustrated with me, as if I had done something wrong? I've since given up and just watch Netflix on my iPad (which he hates for some reason). 
Next he installed smart lightbulbs in the house so we can set them using our phones. Except I have an iphone and he bought some brand that only works with Android and he has to spend hours manually configuring them all the time. I don't know why he didn't go with a brand that works with iphones but he said that he doesn't trust them. I told him as long as I can turn the lights off with the wall switch I'm happy, but now those don't even work anymore. I am literally sitting at home in the dark, calling him so he can turn the lights on for me. He keeps telling me I should get an android so I can use the app but I don't want to lose my iphone. 
Last week he told me that I can't call him anymore when I'm having problems with the tech throughout the house, and I have to file a bug report on some git website. I told him I refuse to have to fill some online form just to get the lights working but he refuses to listen to me. I don't know what to do, I'm at my wits end.
I've tried reasoning with him, but he's convinced this is the better way. I don't know how much longer I can stay.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's really sad how long that remains plausible (didn't lose me until the git thing)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
my favorite banned f1 technology is last year's honda engines

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

it's really sad how long that remains plausible (didn't lose me until the git thing)

I should totally do this at home

issue: cat is on table

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

haveblue posted:

it's from the reddit/relationships thread so i believe it's 100% true

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

I should totally do this at home

issue: cat is on table
report: is cat. ticket closed.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
issue: cat is outside bedroom meowing at door

resolved: opened bedroom door

reopened: cat is inside bedroom meowing at door

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

just so long as the cat doesn’t find out how to use it...

priority: 1, critical
last updated: 11-15-2017 03:55:00 AM
name: bottom of food bowl visible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
something something cannot reproduce :(

• Locked thread