Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

they're actually hugely buffing fun because getting a pick and then having mercy just undo it is the absolute worst most unfun loving thing in this game's entire lifespan
Add to that that getting ressed into the middle of an ongoing fight is often rather unfun, and that the ressing itself is often unfun for Mercy herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Extra Tasty posted:

i think the only thing the mercy nerfs will do is make it so she'll only use rez when ulting...so her old ult but worse. her mobility is what's actually enjoyable about her playstyle so it's like they're nerfing fun at this point.

Yes, Op=Fun. She had the best battle tempo out of all the healers and the best mobility followed by being the second best single-target healer in the game. Of course, she's fun.

But now she can't just easily battle-res a teammate that got picked in the middle of a firefight, which meant that every fight was a 6+1 with her, making her one of the best healers. Blizzard sucks with design, her resurrect gives full health back. She could potentially restore 400+ HP in the middle of a fight just by being in proximity and pressing a single button.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Extra Tasty posted:

i think the only thing the mercy nerfs will do is make it so she'll only use rez when ulting...so her old ult but worse. her mobility is what's actually enjoyable about her playstyle so it's like they're nerfing fun at this point.
What part of her mobility are they nerfing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No Wave posted:

she moves 75% slower when using res, so she's pretty much a statue for nearly 2 seconds when trying to bring someone back to life

this doesn't affect valkyrie tho

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

No Wave posted:

The part during the res.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
I stopped playing OW for a bit because the Ana buff and Moira existing, combined with the upcoming Mercy nerf, is the perfect storm to take that Swiss lich down a peg. I just can't stand playing her game any longer, knowing those changes are on the horizon.

Maybe Mercy will still be the best healer, me am don't know balance things well enough to predict how that will shake out. But at least the level of superiority she has over the other healers will be diminished to the point that being on the team without an angel won't necessarily feel like an instant loss. That's all I want.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

when exactly is the game going to be fun to play again? I thought the patch was gonna hit yesterday.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It was pretty unlikely Moira was going to go live that quickly, I don't think the PTR turnaround is usually that quick. I would guess either next week or the week after, but maybe they'll do a surprise patch to coincide with the free weekend.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Moira will probably drop onto live tomorrow.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

IronicDongz posted:

they're actually hugely buffing fun because getting a pick and then having mercy just undo it is the absolute worst most unfun loving thing in this game's entire lifespan

Widow is the worst thing about this game.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

imo the least fun hero to play against and the one that hurts fun the most has gotta be orisa

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

teagone posted:

Moira will probably drop onto live tomorrow.

That probably make sense, as Doomfist was a Thursday release.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
the least fun character to play against is every character that uses shields, barriers, or healing to make fights into endless slogs

Mercy's res makes her a strong contender but she just has the swingiest balance of them all

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

the least fun character to play against is every character that uses shields, barriers, or healing to make fights into endless slogs

Mercy's res makes her a strong contender but she just has the swingiest balance of them all

Well you see dying generates bad feelings and for a game to be fun it must have zero bad feelings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CaptainScraps posted:

Widow is the worst thing about this game.

not even close

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

Bruh, shields make it a puzzle that you have to decide to crack, fight around , or avoid. It's part of the brawl concept.

What IS poo poo is DPS Sniper classes in a 6v6 game about brawling. They don't interact with 90% of the cast and it's definitely no fun to be one-shot from across the map because you peaked your head an inch around the corner.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Thor-Stryker posted:

Bruh, shields make it a puzzle that you have to decide to crack, fight around , or avoid. It's part of the brawl concept.

What IS poo poo is DPS Sniper classes in a 6v6 game about brawling. They don't interact with 90% of the cast and it's definitely no fun to be one-shot from across the map because you peaked your head an inch around the corner.

Maybe don't peek the sniper? Or stand behind one of those barriers? If you're getting instantly murdered by a Widow every time you walk out, and you legitimately think that Widow is a balance problem, they're probably enough better than you that they'd be dunking on you with just about any character.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Overwatch would probably be more fun if neither snipers nor tanks existed. But since they do, at least they help curb some of the worst parts of each other.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think a good Widow is actually a reasonable challenge who can be approached with the mobile tanks and other high mobility characters. Hanzo on the other hand is awful.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The Blue Caboose posted:

Maybe don't peek the sniper? Or stand behind one of those barriers? If you're getting instantly murdered by a Widow every time you walk out, and you legitimately think that Widow is a balance problem, they're probably enough better than you that they'd be dunking on you with just about any character.

That's called "killing my fun of being in the middle of everything and loving brawling."

She's not fun for anyone but the person playing her and even then, she doesn't get on the loving point.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Do you get pissed off about a McCree or soldier sitting on high ground and doming you in the head while you're brawling as well? Because both those characters don't really get involved in the brawling either, preferring to sit back and shoot people in the heads.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berenzen posted:

Do you get pissed off about a McCree or soldier sitting on high ground and doming you in the head while you're brawling as well? Because both those characters don't really get involved in the brawling either, preferring to sit back and shoot people in the heads.

Don't they have substantial falloff

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

CaptainScraps posted:

That's called "killing my fun of being in the middle of everything and loving brawling."

She's not fun for anyone but the person playing her and even then, she doesn't get on the loving point.
widow is fun to fight actually

sorry that you just wanna walk into a big group of people I guess but positioning should be more complicated than that.

FAUXTON posted:

soldier outranges most characters, mccree has bad falloff but sometimes it's still worth it to shoot people at range just because you have laser accuracy

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

22-30m still keeps you well out of a brawl, particularly on high ground.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

FAUXTON posted:

yeah when pushed off high ledges

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dizz posted:

yeah when pushed off high ledges

lol

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

:same:

that's the most fun about playing mobile tanks like dva and winston. jump on those bitches and make em drop into the fray

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

IronicDongz posted:

widow is fun to fight actually

sorry that you just wanna walk into a big group of people I guess but positioning should be more complicated than that.
soldier outranges most characters, mccree has bad falloff but sometimes it's still worth it to shoot people at range just because you have laser accuracy

McCrees falloff wouldn't be much a problem if the curve wasn't abysmal or was capped. Extending his range back to 30-40m would be oppressive as gently caress though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

needknees posted:

:same:

that's the most fun about playing mobile tanks like dva and winston. jump on those bitches and make em drop into the fray

Or playing roadhog and making them the next contestant on the price is right

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Would it totally break Winston if his DPS was upped to like... I dunno, 70, so you could at least beat Mercy's healing? As it is, a target being healed is completely invulnerable to you. Yeah, you should probably go for the Mercy instead but it's the little things.

Similarly, for an ulting Mercy, you do 40 dps given her regeneration, which means you need to be on her for five whole seconds to kill her alone, and Winston's not nearly as mobile as Mercy is so good luck ever doing that.

I like playing Winston but he's basically completely invalidated if there's a Mercy on the enemy team.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Winston with 70 dps would equate to him killing 200hp heroes in just under three seconds, or around two seconds if you land on someone with your jump and melee afterwards. They'd probably have to nerf his mobility and/or shield to compensate, because that'd get really frustrating to play against real quick.

I've grown to either pounce on out of position people or go straight for the healers as Winston. Trying to zap anyone getting healed feels like a fool's game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
At 70 DPS Winston's need to reload would still lose against Mercy healing for anyone except the most wounded opponents, so Winston would be considerably more effective against opponents without healing while still being countered by Mercy/Ana.

And that's OK. Winston's entire thing is that he's all about positioning: you give up having to aim your gun but your decisions on when and where to engage/disengage become absolutely crucial. If e.g. Soldier fucks up and puts himself in a bad situation he can still try to fight his way out using superior aim. Winston doesn't have that option, so it's 100% on him not to put himself in a bad situation in the first place.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Winston was already one of the strongest heroes in the game before The Patch that Broke Everythjing, he really doesn't need a buff.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Also that Winston's gun is cleave damage, so if you're shocking Mercy, you can sometimes also get the person she's attached to or a group, and that's a lot more dps.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Winston isn’t really a killer. I pull him out to take care of pesky Tracers, Genjis and Symms that are a dime a dozen in casual.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
just buff winston's melee. he's a muscly gorilla and you're telling me his punch deals the same damage as a tiny british girl?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dizz posted:

just buff winston's melee. he's a muscly gorilla and you're telling me his punch deals the same damage as a tiny british girl?

he's a nerd though so his melee should only do half damage

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
I mean, doomfist doesn't melee with his loving doomfist, so I'm not sure that argument works.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
well not his fast melee anyways. rein doesn't even get a fast melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I was just thinking that I had never actually tried hitting melee on Reinhardt and wondering what happened. They should give him a melee attack where he clocks people with a beer stein.