Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

Anyone have a sub-60 team for the Shinra gauntlet? I think I might be stupid enough to farm dark orbs from it :suicide:

It seems doable with any reasonably leveled team with AOE moves or burst commands. Doublecast LM/RMs help.

I used:
Bartz LD/Tornado Strike
Shadow BSB
Cloud USB
Cid Raines BSB/LD
Jecht BSB
RW: MOAR SHADOW BSB

I was clearing it in 15-30 seconds depending on double cast procs, but it still didn't seem worth it for too many runs. If I had a ton of IRL time I might run it a bit more, but it barely seems worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Alright, I tried to soldier through as much content as I could with the 1/2 price story quests and now I am at what feels like an impasse. I am still mostly coasting through the "difficulty" in the mid 60s, and I am not sure where my party should be level wise. The only character I have broken the level cap on is Cloud. Jecht and Sephiroth are stuck at 50 until I find their break crystals. Lightning and Orlandu are in the mid 40s. I am now 2 or 3 shotting most monsters, and just letting my friend unit mostly 1 shot the bosses matching up to weaknesses etc. The cap break Sephiroth has done some tremendous damage to coast me.

I have some decent gear for Aerith, Refia, Jecht and Onion Knight (who is too squishy for my liking...)

I am currently at Giant of Babil, Part 1 and not sure if I should continue grinding the story, or if my focus should be elsewhere for a while.

Do they do the 1/2 off often or will it be like FFBE where it is once every 3-6 months?

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

hagie posted:

Do they do the 1/2 off often or will it be like FFBE where it is once every 3-6 months?

They do it with every dungeon update, which is once a month. It's basically half off, half the time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

bilperkins2 posted:

They do it with every dungeon update, which is once a month. It's basically half off, half the time.

Not nearly half the time anymore. I think the half-off period is already, or will soon become, only like 3 or 4 days. But it does come back every month and generally lets you shotgun as much realm content as you want or can handle.

As for your question hagie, it's not bad doing realm dungeons until you have 120+ stamina or so, but you definitely want to get your levels higher. Always try doing the experience daily dungeons on Sunday and Tuesday to get some levels, and make sure to do as much content from the weekly events as you can manage. That's where you're going to pick up Memory Crystals for characters, as well as accessories and such, in addition to the mythril. They're limited time, while the realm dungeons aren't going anywhere.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

hagie posted:

Alright, I tried to soldier through as much content as I could with the 1/2 price story quests and now I am at what feels like an impasse. I am still mostly coasting through the "difficulty" in the mid 60s, and I am not sure where my party should be level wise. The only character I have broken the level cap on is Cloud. Jecht and Sephiroth are stuck at 50 until I find their break crystals. Lightning and Orlandu are in the mid 40s. I am now 2 or 3 shotting most monsters, and just letting my friend unit mostly 1 shot the bosses matching up to weaknesses etc. The cap break Sephiroth has done some tremendous damage to coast me.

I have some decent gear for Aerith, Refia, Jecht and Onion Knight (who is too squishy for my liking...)

I am currently at Giant of Babil, Part 1 and not sure if I should continue grinding the story, or if my focus should be elsewhere for a while.

Don't use OK until you can egg him to 99. Every not-level 99 level he is is a bad level for him to be.

As to your progress, as long as you're progressing you're doing great. You'll hit a wall around 120 or so difficulty, but by the time you get there you'll have the relics to surpass it.

Keep an eye on this Thursday's FF4 banner for one of the best melee lightning dps (Kain) and a good water summoner (Rydia). Great upcoming banners are the Tidus, Ramza, OK, Terra/Locke, and Orlandeau banners.

That being said, you need the "trinity" assembled as fast as possible. This includes a faith/bravery boostga, hastega, wall (this will be your RW), and a medica. I think the next best healer banner is the Type 0 banner with Deuce, or if you're feeling lucky, the current CT FFXV banner with Iris. In a vaccuum, I'd go for the Deuce banner though. The XV CT banner is okay, but ultimately they're all not great.

Also never ever spend mythril on the Newcomer banners. They are total and utter trash.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

The latest CT has shown me that I don't have nearly as many hastegas as I thought I did. Having RW set to Wall in that case really limits my ability to clear some of these.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Oh hey this Shinra gauntlet is really easy to get sub-60 on. I had no idea it was this easy. I just brought 4 AoE dps nerds and OK BSB.

It was kinda cool bringing a full LD Raines and having him call Shadow BSB RW. He can double cast the commands! :aaa:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I completed it, but I really was not prepared for how much of a dick squall was

Squall>Adel>scylia=Adamantoise

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I completed it, but I really was not prepared for how much of a dick squall was

Squall>Adel>scylia=Adamantoise

Scylla is easier than Adamantoise if your lightning damage isn't up to snuff. I'd swap a couple of those symbols, myself, for

Squall = Adel >>>> Adamntoys > Scylla

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man I'm having a hell of a time trying to deal with Adel. I think I'm bad at this game. :smith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hagie posted:

Be sure to do the weekly events, and get as far as you can into them. They're generally a lot more generous with growth eggs and orbs than story dungeons. You can get Sephiroth's memory crystal from this week's event.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I missed mastery on Adel but pretty much sleepwalked through Squall. Like, I forgot that he was immune to breaks and brought a lot of them, still mastered it on my first try

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Man I'm having a hell of a time trying to deal with Adel. I think I'm bad at this game. :smith:

Adel was tough. I tried a team built around Cloud DPS and two healers, and got swamped once Adel started draining Rinoa. Then I tried using a team built around Radiant Shield and Last Stand, and that was also terrible. Then I decided to focus on breaks, chiefly Setzer and his USB and Fujin's BSB, and beat Adel right before she killed Rinoa.

I had to come back after clearing the whole gauntlet to get mastery on Squall's, and I had a scary moment where I entered Scylla but forgot to set my RMs up, so I had to tread water until I could build up some SBs and fire off Shout. I really didn't want to have to redo the two fights I had finished before Scylla to get the Cid's missions.

Also, I finally beat Bahamut 300! R2 Omega Drive and a fully dived Cloud make a big difference, it gave me enough damage to whittle Bahamut down to where a Cloud USB and some BSB entries could finish him off. Only one FF3 character, but I think I'll let those other spirit notes go for the moment.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

I had to come back after clearing the whole gauntlet to get mastery on Squall's, and I had a scary moment where I entered Scylla but forgot to set my RMs up, so I had to tread water until I could build up some SBs and fire off Shout. I really didn't want to have to redo the two fights I had finished before Scylla to get the Cid's missions.

This is a little late, but when the mission says don't flee it actually just means don't reset your progress. You can leave the fight and individual dungeons to try out different set ups as much as you want so long as you don't reset the whole tower.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mithross posted:

This is a little late, but when the mission says don't flee it actually just means don't reset your progress. You can leave the fight and individual dungeons to try out different set ups as much as you want so long as you don't reset the whole tower.
this was not clear at all

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Nihilarian posted:

this was not clear at all

Yea, the wording is horrid

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Well, I got my next milestone down, the 200-level torment. Barely limped to victory, and I hadn't expected those starting waves (those mooks hit pretty hard). Also doesn't help that at the end when Bartz doublecasted Storm Strike and then procced a barrage afterwards Bahamut would counter-curaja three times. I came out ahead in damage on that, but not as much as I'd have liked.

Anyway, dragoon motes are just used for Sky High and not anything obscure, right? The only "dragoons" I have relics for are Noctis (hence the quotation marks, he's got better things to do) and Aranea (lightning-based) and I'm not sure whether to full-dive one (Aranea almost certainly), craft Sky High on both for two copies or shattering for orbs, or just sit on them in case I get a wind dragoon later.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

All "job" motes are just for unlocking access to and making copies of the one six star ability for that job

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mithross posted:

All "job" motes are just for unlocking access to and making copies of the one six star ability for that job

Thanks. I like the game hiding some things until you hit certain thresholds or unlock relics with them, helps keep the game from being overwhelming at the start, but it does leave a bit of an "am I missing something" taste.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Bruceski posted:

Anyway, dragoon motes are just used for Sky High and not anything obscure, right? The only "dragoons" I have relics for are Noctis (hence the quotation marks, he's got better things to do) and Aranea (lightning-based) and I'm not sure whether to full-dive one (Aranea almost certainly), craft Sky High on both for two copies or shattering for orbs, or just sit on them in case I get a wind dragoon later.

Currently, yes. You can only use them to unlock Sky High. It's not an amazing ability though, since it's gimmick (having multiple goons in the air) is really awkward to use in practice. The 5* Wind Jump is much easier to hone, too.

But I wouldn't shatter copies for the heck of it either, considering how absurdly limited the class 6* motes are as a resource. Just sit on them for now, they don't take up any space.

(edit) Got bored and finally did a Torment 200 CM:

Probably the easiest one I could have started with, just because of Onion and Luneth BSBs providing such a strong backbone for the team.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 16, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Attestant posted:

But I wouldn't shatter copies for the heck of it either, considering how absurdly limited the class 6* motes are as a resource. Just sit on them for now, they don't take up any space.

That's the way I was leaning (I'm a hoarder after all) just wanted to check. I don't even use Aranea anyway. Got a lot of nice relics for her should I ever need a lightning dragoon, but my "standard" party is full.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sky High is currently worse than Aerial Dive without any other dragoons in the air, and only slightly better after the buffs we're getting next month.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Fuckin debuffs in the heretic hojo mp fight. I don't know if this one is soloable

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I made Sky High a while ago, and with the newest dragoon stuff, strongly considering shattering it. It helped me in a couple of fights, but eh...

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Bruceski posted:

but my "standard" party is full.

Just give it a month! :v:

I have to do the Torment CM with a 99 Luneth (no relics), OK (BSB), and CoD (BSB). I was thinking of bringing Raines for a Mage team and just slap Arial Dive on Luneth and hope for the best.

Any thoughts all?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ceaselessfuture posted:

Just give it a month! :v:

What happens in a month?

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Nothing specifically but that's about as long as it took me to not really have an A-team after having just created an A-team.

The more relics you draw the more you shuffle groups around!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ceaselessfuture posted:

Nothing specifically but that's about as long as it took me to not really have an A-team after having just created an A-team.

The more relics you draw the more you shuffle groups around!

Oh definitely. Getting Red XIII's Ultra already started that for me, I just can't see a reason to bring Aranea in as a new dps unless I specifically need lightning or dragoon.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

Araena is totally awesome and her poo poo is rad, so it's a drat shame that Kain completely outclasses her. I guess her sbs hit dark too??? Still, her bsb+lightning dive is very good, if you need lightning element.

I'm really hoping to get Marche's upcoming USB so I can make an absolute gimmick Front Row party using Reks and Ceodore to heal.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I used the same five guys for three months due to lovely pulls so your A team experience may differ. Then I switched one guy for Vaan and ran that for another three months.

Finally 30th was merciful.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Mithross posted:

Welp.
At least it made the Scylla fight more exciting.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Still banging my head against the Adel fight. I'm getting closer but I seem to be a bit shy on the damage front.

Here's my current setup:

Selphie (SSB for Medica+Magic Blink, Healing)
Ramza (Shout + Full Break/Power Breakdown)
Vaan (BSB + Magic Breakdown/Lifesiphon)
Master (BSB + Meteor Crush/Lifesiphon)
Strago (Mighty Guard VI for Proshellga + 100% RES, Second Healer)

I could probably improve my damage if I field someone with a proper healer burst and replace Strago but then I have to worry about slotting in Proshellga and I lose the big RES bump so I'll be worried about my survivability. This fight is the pits.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

blegh I need so many dark orbs and this Shinra gauntlet is technically super efficient farming, like nothing else is even remotely close in terms of payoff per stamina, but my god its so boring and takes so long. This is definitely one of those monkey's paw situations.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

blegh I need so many dark orbs and this Shinra gauntlet is technically super efficient farming, like nothing else is even remotely close in terms of payoff per stamina, but my god its so boring and takes so long. This is definitely one of those monkey's paw situations.
Agreed. I avoided playing it since clearing it, but I *know* I have to farm it.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The III Ingus/Arc/Aria event in JP is... kind of tiny! One banner, nothing new but a handful of relics.

III Banner posted:

Arc's Seraphim Mace [USSB, +10 MND] - 10 single-target Holy/Water white magic attacks, En-Holy, MND & RES +30% and Dia Splash to user
Dia Splash: After using R1~5 Holy abilities, chases with 2~6 single-target Holy/Water/NE white magic attacks
Ingus's Gigantic Axe [USSB, +10 ATK] - 10 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, En-Earth, ATK & DEF +30% and Titan Strike to user
Titan Strike: After using Knight abilities, chases with 4~6 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, number of hits is dependent on user's DEF
Aria's Prism Rod [USSB, +10 MND] - h85 heal, 100% Fire Stoneskin & High Regen to party, Instant Cast
Onion Knight's Onion Blade [USSB, +10 ATK] - ATK +50%, Critical = 50% & Haste to party, EX "Ninja" to user
EX "Ninja": ATK +30%, Casting Speed 1.0x & +0.3x casting speed per action (maximum 8 increments; up to 3.0x)

Arc's Wizard Rod [BSSB, +10 MND] - 8 single-target Holy/Water white magic attacks, En-Holy, Burst Mode
Attack -> 4 single-target Holy/Water white magic attacks
Defend -> Single-target 105 heal & MND +30%
Ingus's Crystal Shield [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Earth physical attacks, 75% Earth Radiant Shield to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> 3 single-target Earth/NE physical attacks, Knight Damage +15% for 3 turns
Defend -> ATK & DEF +50% to user
Aria's Nirvana [BSSB, +10 MND] - h85 heal & minor Bar-Fire to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> Single-target h80 heal & High Regen, Instant Cast
Defend -> h25 heal to party
Onion Knight's Onion Gauntlets [BSSB, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - ATK & MAG +30% and Haste to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> 4 single-target physical attacks, Instant Physical 1
Defend -> 4 single-target NE magic attacks, Instant Magic 1
Luneth's Gungnir [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Wind/NE ranged physical attacks, 100% Stun, En-Wind, Burst Mode
Attack -> 4 single-target Wind/NE ranged physical attacks, 9% Stun
Defend -> 2 AOE Wind/NE ranged physical attacks, ATK +30% & RES -30%

Aria's Lamia Tiara [LMR, +10 MND] - 25% chance to Dualcast White Magic abilities
Arc's Lordly Robes [LMR, +10 MND] - MND +1% for each White Magic ability hit, up to 25%
Ingus's Genji Armor [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Earth for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Onion Knight's Onion Cape [LMR, +5 ATK & +5 MAG] - Instant Cast 2 at the start of battle
Luneth's Blessed Hammer [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Wind for 25 seconds at the start of battle
There's also been numerous themed banners in JP, usually just a collection of previously released ones, but this Dark user one is notable because, well, instead of giving the III event a second banner, they just went ahead and debuted a new OSB for Cloud of Darkness outside the event.

Dark User Pick-up posted:

Cloud of Darkness's Everdark [OSSB, +10 MAG] - Single-target Dark/NE Overflow magic attack, higher multiplier if exploiting weakness
Cloud of Darkness's Empress Kharna [USSB, +10 MAG] - 7 AOE Dark/Lightning magic attacks, MAG & RES +30% to party, En-Dark & Lightning to user
Lightning: After using Dark abilities, chases with AOE Dark/Lightning magic attack
Sephiroth's Mako Katana [USSB, +10 ATK] - 15 single-target Dark physical attacks, En-Dark, En-Dark Stack & Heartless Angel to user
Heartless Angel: ATK +50%, DEF -15% & RES -15%
Kuja's Demon's Rod [OSSB, +10 MAG] - Single-target Dark/NE Overflow magic attack, higher multiplier if user is Doomed

Cloud of Darkness's Bizarre Staff [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 6 AOE Dark/NE magic attacks, MAG & MND +30%, 30s Doom & Haste to party, Burst Mode
Attack -> 3 single-target Dark/NE magic attacks, Darkness Damage +15% for 3 turns
Defend -> 2 single-target Dark/NE magic attacks, MAG +30% & DEF -30%
Sephiroth's Yoshiyuki-shinuchi [BSSB, +10 ATK] - 8 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, En-Dark & Dual Blink 2 to user, Burst Mode
Attack -> 3~5 single-target Dark/NE physical attacks, number of hits is dependent on user's ATK
Defend -> 2 AOE Dark/NE physical attacks, ATK +30% & DEF -30%
Kuja's Terra's Legacy [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 8 random Dark/NE magic attacks, Imperil Dark, Burst Mode
Attack -> 4 single-target Dark/NE magic attacks, higher multiplier if user is Doomed
Defend -> 2 AOE Dark/NE magic attacks, higher multiplier if user is Doomed
Exdeath's Demon's Rod [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 6 AOE Dark/NE magic attacks, Imperil Dark, Burst Mode
Attack -> 4 single-target Dark/NE magic attacks, higher multiplier if user is Doomed
Defend -> AOE Dark magic attacks, 45s Doom & MAG +30% to user
Golbez's Zeromus Shard [BSSB, +10 MAG] - 7 single-target Dark/NE magic attacks, Sentinel & MAG +30% to user, Burst Mode
Attack -> 30% Stoneskin, activates Summoning Mode; 4 AOE Dark summon magic attacks, deactivates Summoning Mode
Defend -> 4 single-target Dark magic attacks; Each hit restores 20% of damage dealt under Summoning Mode

Cloud of Darkness's Brooding Armguard [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Sephiroth's Darkcoat [LMR, +10 ATK] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Kuja's Chosen of Treno [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle
Exdeath's Visage [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at start of battle
Golbez's Bascinet [LMR, +10 MAG] - En-Dark for 25 seconds at the start of battle

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Elemental radiant shield was confusing enough but the hell is a fire stoneskin now?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Elemental radiant shield was confusing enough but the hell is a fire stoneskin now?

I would assume that it absorbs fire damage (100% of your health worth), given Aria's general anti-fire gimmick.

Edit: What I want to know is if this counts for Noctis and if you can keep up his USB buff forever against enemies that don't use fire.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Still banging my head against the Adel fight. I'm getting closer but I seem to be a bit shy on the damage front.

Here's my current setup:

I could probably improve my damage if I field someone with a proper healer burst and replace Strago but then I have to worry about slotting in Proshellga and I lose the big RES bump so I'll be worried about my survivability. This fight is the pits.
You definitely need to slot in more damage somewhere and to get a proper burst. Is the incoming damage really so bad that you need that much in the way of breaks? I managed it in one shot on my end, but then again I brought along a very good team so perhaps I'm an outlier. (Squall/Quistis/Raines for damage, Y'shtola for healing, and Edwars with his USB for support.)

Regardless Selphie is something of a liability in that situation with her inability to dump healing as quickly as from a BSB and Strago SSB isn't going to contribute that much when combined with the Wall RM, so I'd rework that setup to give more healing while keeping Proshellga coverage. (Defense buffs are softcapped at +250%, and Wall on its own is +200%, so Mighty Guard won't have nearly the effect that you might otherwise think.)

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Here's my current setup:

I think you should just slot in Shellga. Adel's got a lot of HP and you NEED to burst it down quickly once she gets into very weak form and starts sucking Rinoa dry. I beat it using
Cloud USB
Raines BSB
Setzer BSB (Vaan is probably better in this role)
Ramza Shout
Y'shtola BSB (used Gathering Storm RM)

If you have Enkidu, that's another source of Medica in your back pocket. The trickiest thing is avoiding AOE attacks to not kill Rinoa yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
If you are feeling saucy and have an ability slot, pull out Shell (not ga) and cast it at Rinoa.

• Locked thread