Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Windows xp blyat edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

that was a fun race for a freshly-imaged machine. will the security patches install before the machine gets port-scanned and pwn3d? place your bets!

did you people not own basic routers in the early 2000s?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I was in college, and everyone hooked directly into resnet

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got an email from MS telling me to try the new insider edition

They are taunting me

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Man I haven't seen that word in at least a decade

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

anthonypants posted:

let this be a lesson to everyone who thinks about putting an insiders build of a microsoft operation system on their computer: you're not getting paid to do QA for microsoft, so don't loving do it you idiot

well, no one else is getting paid to do QA for Microsoft either

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Main Paineframe posted:

Technically the software engineers are paid to do the QA. They don't do it, obviously, but they are paid to do it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

infernal machines posted:

did you people not own basic routers in the early 2000s?

lmao everyone i knew was still connecting with telephone cables directly attached to their modem card

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lmao everyone i knew was still connecting with telephone cables directly attached to their modem card

even in rural latvia that wasn't the case jfc

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

cinci zoo sniper posted:

even in rural latvia that wasn't the case jfc

our isps used to suck major rear end. but now they’re really good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

we definitely had a router in my college apartment with our sick 10 mbps cable connection. fast enough to download dreamcast isos!

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Main Paineframe posted:

On the one hand, you'll never catch nearly as much in QA as you will in real-world testing, because your QA is probably doing things reasonably and the real-world testing is the guy in the corner office whose understanding of using a general-purpose computer probably fits cleanly into a textbook model of the cycle of abuse.

On the other hand, dogfooding should be wider-spread in your organization, even if only as a show of confidence.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we have a guy in ops who finds all the weirdest edge case bugs and hes autistic enough to give us very good replication scenarios. he owns.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

we have a guy in ops who finds all the weirdest edge case bugs and hes autistic enough to give us very good replication scenarios. he owns.

hold on to this person with both hands

fake edit: not in a weird way

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

no make it weird

hold onto his penis

whats the worst that can happen?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

no make it weird

hold onto his penis

whats the worst that can happen?

jail sentence for sexual assault?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
squirt on his zune

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

cinci zoo sniper posted:

jail sentence for sexual assault?

depends hard on comparative status but sadly the only solution is to

Bobby Digital posted:

squirt on his zune

god im sorry i had to it felt so good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
uuugh god drat it, the moment signal's electron shitclient gains some sort of webrtc audio/video calling i am going to chaos dunk skype into the garbage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

uuugh god drat it, the moment signal's electron shitclient gains some sort of webrtc audio/video calling i am going to chaos dunk skype into the garbage

how will you talk to family, friends, and non-technicals?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how will you talk to family, friends, and non-technicals?

it is best to not attempt this thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i took my work laptop home and it has this bizarre issue where it can't reach ipv4 addresses but seems to have no problem with ipv6 traffic

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

anthonypants posted:

i took my work laptop home and it has this bizarre issue where it can't reach ipv4 addresses but seems to have no problem with ipv6 traffic

fixed routing demanding IPv4 servers that only exist at work, but no actual restrictions on ipv6 because that doesn't exist at work so why would IT think it exists anywhere else?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i figured that rather than troubleshoot it further i'd just spin up a vm. incidentally when you install the hyper-v role in windows 10 it doesn't drop a shortcut to the hyper-v manager, so you're supposed to either type in virtmgmt.msc or make your own shortcut or install rsat

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

well that's silly

not the vm, that's oddly reliable

not exposing a feature that was explicitly deployed

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
does ms still say disabling ipv6 is a ‘best practice’ along with static ipv4 addressing for every server? because that’s fun.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

uncurable mlady posted:

does ms still say disabling ipv6 is a ‘best practice’ along with static ipv4 addressing for every server? because that’s fun.

probably not, but 1) "we don't have ipv6 so it's not a thing" and 2) "that's what the best practices said in 1998 so"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
disabling ipv6 actually is a best practice though

if you don't have an ipv6 network, disabling ipv6 costs you nothing and saves you some hassle when idiots don't know how java works

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
disabling ipv6 also breaks exchange in some circumstances.

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

anthonypants posted:

in the adapter settings there's seperate sections for ipv4 and v6, so if you have it set up with a specific gateway and dns and what not on ipv4, those settings i believe won't apply for ipv6

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

infernal machines posted:

disabling ipv6 also breaks exchange in some circumstances.

doing [anything] breaks exchange inevitably in all circumstances so

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

uncurable mlady posted:

Last I heard they officially require the IPv6 stack to be enabled for DCs and Exchange and a few other things

CommunistPancake posted:

in the adapter settings there's seperate sections for ipv4 and v6, so if you have it set up with a specific gateway and dns and what not on ipv4, those settings i believe won't apply for ipv6

v6 traffic can tunnel through a v4 router and a bunch of other weird poo poo. 6to4, teredo, and all the other transition technologies can have some weird and unexpected effects.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/microsoft-appears-to-have-lost-the-source-code-of-an-office-component/

good job microsoft, manually editing your own binaries

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I hope they patched in some awesome crack midi tunes too

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Yeah but that is only in the LTSB versions.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Kindly presents Microsoft Windows 2015 LTSB 19-in-1 Custom Ultimate Edition :pcgaming: :dance:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe just maybe it's time to put equation editor out to pasture

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was weird enough that i ended up investigating a bit: it is not actually their binary, it is a licensed copy of mathtype, and one presumes that the dessci was either being difficult about it or had actually lost the code

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

inside the canyon dot midi edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

was weird enough that i ended up investigating a bit: it is not actually their binary, it is a licensed copy of mathtype, and one presumes that the dessci was either being difficult about it or had actually lost the code

that’s interesting. it’s also possible that they had the source but lost something required to build it. it’s a third party tool they licensed so it wasn’t necessarily built with vc6