Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Fartbox posted:

It's unrealistic to me that the holodeck isn't constantly occupied by people doing weird sex stuff in there

This is explained in universe by everyone attending the academy in their teens, spending their 20s loving in holodecks, then starting their career free of the influence of sex at the age of 30.

Why do you think everyone on star ships are in there 30s and just listen to classical music all the time? Picard hosed everyone and everything in every way he could possible think of hundreds of thousands of times and really just wants to sit down with a nice refreshing tea at this point because he has seen some poo poo. He even ate it out of Isaac Newtons rear end in a top hat while Amelia Earhart read a biographical novel about another time he hosed Alf and Tony from Who's The Boss written by a creature made up primarily of buttholes with dicks for hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

One large butthole made up primarily of other, smaller buttholes

Like an anal fractal

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wit posted:

Riker's program is just chairs with dildos on them.

Computer, display that chair.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Computer, display that chair.

Make it... a metal dildo chair.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I like the one where they come up with a flimsy reason why they gotta do an Oceans-style heist to save his program from getting deleted or something.

the ptsd episode with nog is good too

THS
Sep 15, 2017

it maybe borders on "now here's a very special episode..." but it's extremely star trek to have an action heavy battle episode and the audience has to pay for it with a character losing his leg and dealing with the horrific psychological trauma

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

I would say it's very DS9 but not very Star Trek where, unless it involves Worf's spine, most serious injuries are completely healed by waving a blinking doodad at it and they are never mentioned again.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

tru

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the DS9 intro music a lot. Even the weird syncopated version they switched to from Season 4 onwards. It livens up the tempo, but actually makes thematic sense as DS9 becomes an increasingly important meeting point across the Federation. It's much busier so the music is livelier.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Displaying Worf's completely disembodied spine is the most metal thing Star Trek's ever done

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i think they tried to badass it up with a single guitar sound, introducing the defiant, and bald / goatee sisko. it worked

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
DS9 is the only Trek to feature the electric guitar in it's music

DS9 is metal

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yandat posted:

i think they tried to badass it up with a single guitar sound, introducing the defiant, and bald / goatee sisko. it worked

I thought for a second you were talking about the spine and now I want to see the scene where Worf's spine is shown cut with a single bad rear end guitar chord on the reveal.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Tighclops posted:

DS9 is metal

for a second i was gonna respond with the enterprise themesong but on further investigation it's just a maudlin string backing of a plodding bass and snare drum progression that should make anyone want to kill themselves

christ enterprise sucked in every way

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Enterprise had electric in the corny 80's cop show outro music

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I thought for a second you were talking about the spine and now I want to see the scene where Worf's spine is shown cut with a single bad rear end guitar chord on the reveal.

The shot of Worf's disembodied spine accompanied by a single bad rear end guitar chord should have been incorporated into the TNG intro sequence from that point forward.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I forgot about that enterprise thing because it clearly sucked

let's all forget about it together, friends

naem
May 29, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

there was that one alien who had nards on his knees

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VictorianQueerLit posted:

This is explained in universe by everyone attending the academy in their teens, spending their 20s loving in holodecks, then starting their career free of the influence of sex at the age of 30.

Why do you think everyone on star ships are in there 30s and just listen to classical music all the time? Picard hosed everyone and everything in every way he could possible think of hundreds of thousands of times and really just wants to sit down with a nice refreshing tea at this point because he has seen some poo poo. He even ate it out of Isaac Newtons rear end in a top hat while Amelia Earhart read a biographical novel about another time he hosed Alf and Tony from Who's The Boss written by a creature made up primarily of buttholes with dicks for hands.

No, you've got it all wrong;

Everyone is polite and doesnt muster up more than smalltalk at those gatherings because they're all trying REAL hard to no think about the debaucherous orgy-esque activities they have performed with holographic versions of their crewmates. Just be polite to Worf, keep eye contact and make chit-chat, and try not to think about his holographic duplicate Qa'pla'ing in your rear end in a top hat earlier this afternoon.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Best Star Trek intro! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gwCmfLxIcw&t=14s

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Songi

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
I like the episode of TNG where they introduce Barclay and expose him as a holo-perv. But it is always bothered me that they make a point of the other characters being all "WHAAAT? Making facsimiles of other people to live out your fantasises? THAT IS UNHEARD OF!"

It's ridiculously naive about human nature and I don't say that just because I'm a depraved internet person looking back with hindsight. Hitchcock's Rear Window features a character who physically acts out an entire date with an imaginary man alone in her apartment and that film was made in the fifties.

Lonely people being weird fantasists is probably an eternal feature of humanity so it doesn't make sense that they react to Barclay's tame little fantasies like he was caught putting spiders in his arsehole.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Osric posted:

I like the episode of TNG where they introduce Barclay and expose him as a holo-perv. But it is always bothered me that they make a point of the other characters being all "WHAAAT? Making facsimiles of other people to live out your fantasises? THAT IS UNHEARD OF!"

It's ridiculously naive about human nature and I don't say that just because I'm a depraved internet person looking back with hindsight. Hitchcock's Rear Window features a character who physically acts out an entire date with an imaginary man alone in her apartment and that film was made in the fifties.

Lonely people being weird fantasists is probably an eternal feature of humanity so it doesn't make sense that they react to Barclay's tame little fantasies like he was caught putting spiders in his arsehole.

I legitimately love the Voyager episode "Pathfinder", because it's all about Barclay being his own worst enemy and coping with his addiction. It could easily have been just "oh Reg's at the holodeck again :rolleyes:", but instead it's a pretty good job of Reg struggling with backsliding into his old patterns while his boss is trying to help him as a friend. And when it all goes wrong, his boss has a pretty legit perspective that Reg is losing his poo poo rather than potentially being right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
drat it, Youtube went and purged most of Major Grin's TNG recuts again. Why they only target him is beyond me.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Tighclops posted:

DS9 is metal

Enterprise's Archer's Theme, which played over the credits, features an electric guitar rockin out. check out this alternate intro from a better universe: (not as good as the don't stop me now one but better than this faith of the heart one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zuObd_gSKw

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
TNG was an idealized waspy office in space and enterprise was idealized southern small business in space.

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 16, 2017

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
And much like most things from the south, is garbage.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012
It seems like over time Star Trek has gotten more and more realistic in terms of representing a racially diverse future.

But at the same time it's a shame they've moved way from the whole multi-national thing.

Back in TOS you had a Russian (big deal then) and a Scot and even a southern doctor.

In TNG you had a French Captain and a Russian Klingon and Enterprise had a gay(?) British weapons man and a Korean(?) communication lady.

But STD is apparently All-American and it seems like Star Trek has gradually shifted canon to the point that the US is all that remains on earth? I quite liked the idea of a homogenised earth culture but presumably the rest of the world died or became American?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
There's a can opener lady right on the bridge

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Can opener American

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
They never show her talk I don't think she can it just shows her looking at the captain while he tells everybody to do stuff

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
With her can opener eyes

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Like I don't know how evolution works but why couldn't people made of other stuff be made with visible metal parts

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I bet the sound of having a metal baby with a metal cooter would bring cats in from miles away

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I liked the opening montage in that retarded Valerian movie where it showed all the different species at least those weren't all two legs two arms and a head even if that configuration does make more sense

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
At least STD is sorta addressing it with like that space whale they beamed into the shuttlebay or that space chigger that was driving the ship until they had the blonde dude married to Ricky Vasquez drive it

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
But then when they saw that pregnant space creature and Picard was all like "shoot her in the stomach" they acted amazed that such a thing could exist

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also whenever it shows the can opener lady she's looking through her giant glass see through screen like half the people on the bridge and I feel like my eyes would be randomly focusing on a carpet seam 15 feet away halfway through reading damage reports until I threw up and went blind

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also I don't think that English weapons officer was gay he just has gay face and British people always set off the gaydar that's just science because that time him and the foxy engineer went on vacation in the shuttle he had a very hard to watch fantasy that the Vulcan lady with the boobs liked calling him "shmoopy" or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
But you know what maybe though because the fantasy was so gay that if he woke up and Tucker was blowing him I'd have just kept watching and thought "oh this makes sense" so I think he just like inceptioned his gayness