Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
death to america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

new phone who dis posted:

Did any of those other countries have to tear apart the largest and most profitable system in the world and then try to reassemble it with the reluctant cooperation of the profiteers they just undercut? I think there would be unique challenges to the implementation of UHC in this country and I don't really see anyone putting forth an argument with specifics to address that. Similar to how other countries can operate with a stronger social safety net when the US picks up the military tab for them, the US has been picking up a giant research and development tab over the years in the for-profit system.

The only real losers here would be the insurance profiteers, and they could just be launched into the sun, or as close as the catapult will throw them?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Zorodius posted:

The only real losers here would be the insurance profiteers, and they could just be launched into the sun, or as close as the catapult will throw them?

works for me!

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

also lmao at this notion universal healthcare would be hard to implement in america just expand medicare to cover everyone and hire some people to do the extra book keeping there have been bills pushed forward with this gist already

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zorodius posted:

That's a vast oversimplification. Over half of all drugs are patented in the US and something like 80% of all non-pharmaceutical treatments were developed here first, too. Socialized medicine in places like Europe leans heavily on the US for-profit model to keep the advancements coming while avoiding most of the cost. A conservative estimate on the cost of implementation is over a trillion a year for the first ten years, and thst doesn't take into account any possible destabilization of markets or other unforseen consequences.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

That's a vast oversimplification. Over half of all drugs are patented in the US and something like 80% of all non-pharmaceutical treatments were developed here first, too. Socialized medicine in places like Europe leans heavily on the US for-profit model to keep the advancements coming while avoiding most of the cost. A conservative estimate on the cost of implementation is over a trillion a year for the first ten years, and thst doesn't take into account any possible destabilization of markets or other unforseen consequences.

o gee golly when you put it like that we should continue to let tens of millions americans go without health insurance while letting medical costs be the number one cause of bankruptcy

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

It’s probably better to patent drugs here when you can so easily buy off our regulators. Especially when pharmaceuticals make such a killing selling drugs here compared to even Canada or Mexico.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Also, the plan hinges on the assumption that elected officials will "stand up" to the drug companies and force them to do what's best for everyone to control costs out of altruism instead of immediately becoming their bought and paid for lackeys like we've all seen. I've spent years around an industry whose only customer is the US government (defense contracting) and that's absolutely not how it works out in the end.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

if you seriously make a living from the defense industry you should reconsider your whole life and think about working for a more moral employer like the mexican drug cartels

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Percelus posted:

o gee golly when you put it like that we should continue to let tens of millions americans go without health insurance while letting medical costs be the number one cause of bankruptcy

I'm with you philosophically, I just don't see any of the current plans floating around to be realistic logistically.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Percelus posted:

if you seriously make a living from the defense industry you should reconsider your whole life and think about working for a more moral employer like the mexican drug cartels

If you're looking for a moral employer, I've got bad news for you.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

The pharmaceutical and health insurance industries are not the same, and also I would much prefer to actually have access to the technology we currently have than to develop new poo poo I'll never be able to afford.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

that's because you're so inside the bubble you don't realize the whole idea is to pop the loving thing

this country needs radical change and either it happens through peaceful change and reorganization or it'll come to blood and fire

i don't make the rules but time is a flat circle and this empire is dying in front of our eyes

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Zorodius posted:

The pharmaceutical and health insurance industries are not the same, and also I would much prefer to actually have access to the technology we currently have than to develop new poo poo I'll never be able to afford.

It seems to me in the current situation that the trade off would be poor care for all or good care for many.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
🐺

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

lol at people that think America is literally gonna collapse and fall to pieces or become a civil bloodbath. Yeah sure stuff may get even shittier but our country isn't going anywhere, calm down.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Honky Dong Country posted:

lol at people that think America is literally gonna collapse and fall to pieces or become a civil bloodbath. Yeah sure stuff may get even shittier but our country isn't going anywhere, calm down.

The really funny people are the ones who think the bloodbath is going to usher in something more progressive instead of a regressive nightmare.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i'm thinking more like the grey zones in greece

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

A better vp candidate than Tim Kaine was.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i think 762 people were murdered in chicago last year and it sounds police don't even bother in certain parts of the city same with detroit so if that isn't blood and fire tell me what is

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Percelus posted:

i think 762 people were murdered in chicago last year and it sounds police don't even bother in certain parts of the city same with detroit so if that isn't blood and fire tell me what is

Literally the norm for Chicago

E: To clarify, I'm not saying that's not high as gently caress, I'm saying their murder rate has kept rising for awhile now so it's entirely unsurprising and thus what could arguably be called normal for Chicago.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
feeling bad for big pharma is like feeling bad for a wells fargo exec

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

there were more city wide riots in the last two years than in the 80s-90s combined but what do i know

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Percelus posted:

there were more city wide riots in the last two years than in the 80s-90s combined but what do i know

There has been nothing like the LA riots in the last 2 years, despite how much the media wants to amp it up.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Percelus posted:

The point is when he said bloodbath he was talking about a civil war or something on that scale, not mobs of angry people assaulting each other over politics in the streets.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If you want to talk "blood and fire" in terms of violent crime, well...

https://www.brennancenter.org/publication/crime-trends1990-2016

I'm sorry, but I'm old enough to remember the 80s and 90s and if you think we're living in the peak of violence now then just LOL.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

infact balkanization would be insanely cool and good (unless youre from the many red states that cant financially support themselves in which case lol).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jose Mengelez posted:

infact balkanization would be insanely cool and good (unless your from the many red states that cant financially support themselves in which case lol).

Balkanization is extremely bad and anybody that advocates it is a moron. Also the vast majority of the black population lives in those southern red states, so it's also pretty drat racist imo.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

i never said civil war or balkanization for the record you guys assumed as much all i know if things don't get better they'll get worse and there is always a tipping point what that leads to :iiam:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Balkanization is extremely bad and anybody that advocates it is a moron. Also the vast majority of the black population lives in those southern red states, so it's also pretty drat racist imo.

only an american would think the complete and utter breakdown of the united states would be a bad thing. the rest of us would have a good chuckle.

think 9/11

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Percelus posted:

i never said civil war or balkanization for the record you guys assumed as much all i know if things don't get better they'll get worse and there is always a tipping point what that leads to :iiam:

and if you don't think the election of trump along with neo nazis and antifa fighting it out in the street every week is a sign we're veering closer to said tipping point not away than idk what to tell you

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jose Mengelez posted:

only an american would think the complete and utter breakdown of the united states would be a bad thing. the rest of us would have a good chuckle.

think 9/11

hrm yes why would an American think the complete and utter breakdown of their country would be a bad thing, godamn lemme get out a board full of post-its and red string :thunk:

Percelus posted:

and if you don't think the election of trump along with neo nazis and antifa fighting it out in the street every week is a sign we're veering closer to said tipping point not away than idk what to tell you

That's an extremely small portion of the population that gives even the slightest gently caress enough about any of that crap to get involved in that stupid shitstorm.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Jose Mengelez posted:

think 9/11

The internal workings of the US pretty much make Balkanization impossible. The way natural resources are used and shared among states alone is enough reason to prevent it.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
burr durr only a MORAN would think my pants falling down and tripping me up would be funny. any clever smartyman would know it would be extremely serious and upsetting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
45% of americans didn't vote last year and instead of trying to capture some of that huge amount of potential voters the democrats are going to go more right wing to try and steal republican votes that will never votefor them

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Percelus posted:

A bunch of morons cosplaying the 1930s while locked in a symbiotic relationship with self-fellating journalists is not the national emergency you think it is.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jose Mengelez posted:

burr durr only a MORAN would think my pants falling down and tripping me up would be funny. any clever smartyman would know it would be extremely serious and upsetting.

I'm saying you're a moron because you basically go "lol only an american would think the us collapsing would be bad!" when well of course an American would think that, idiot. Only people trying to be edgelords online and complete morons are going "Boy I hope my country collapses around my ears lmao"

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
*fat piece of poo poo on a rascal scooter shaking his head solemnly as the doors fall off a clown car*

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Jose Mengelez posted:

think 9/11

Being a supposed ally to the US post 9/11 was not all that fun TBH :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Posting to say I’m lolin at the dems

• Locked thread