Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

triple sulk posted:

Guys

Embiid said he's at 69%

I can't

its too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

G-Hawk posted:

League pass rankings

1 Joel Embiid
1a Giannis

2 i dunno whoever else is on i guess

Zingis is averaging like 30 PPG this year.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Zingis is averaging like 30 PPG this year.

hes cool too yeah

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are some very very good very very young players, basketball is gonna be good for a long time

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Unfortunately BBR is missing a lot of data before 1984. Still it's possible that Wilt is the only other guy to have done what Embiid did tonight. Rick Barry had a game in 1966 with big numbers like this but probably didn't reach 7 blocks whereas Wilt did that frequently.

Worst Lakers shooting seasons since the NBA-ABA merger:

code:
Year Player		POS	NP
2018 Lonzo Ball 	PG	-50.56*
2000 Derek Fisher	PG	-55.8
2004 Derek Fisher	SG	-63.32
1977 Don Chaney		SG	-67.36
2016 Kobe Bryant	SF	-75.64
1994 James Worthy	SF	-85.4
1977 Bo Lamar		PG	-88.92
*through 15 games. Lonzo is climbing the ladder.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Joel Embiid is equal parts the NBA create a player you made as a kid and memes

and it owns

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spoeank posted:

Joel Embiid is equal parts the NBA create a player you made as a kid and memes

and it owns

:awesome:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Papercut posted:

Embiid's defense is also incredibly impressive for a guy with that little experience. He's got so much patience when he's defending the rim.

Didn't Embiid barely play basketball before college? There might be seniors on some college teams that have played more total minutes of basketball than him and don't have 1/30th of the skills.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bad fans coming at Walton hard, he's not gonna make it to midseason.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

Bad fans coming at Walton hard, he's not gonna make it to midseason.

THis tea is gonna fall apart the instant they fire hi

He needs to hold on long enough for a good experienced head coach to get fired and to hire him as an assistant. He needs an Alvin Gentry

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Didn't Embiid barely play basketball before college? There might be seniors on some college teams that have played more total minutes of basketball than him and don't have 1/30th of the skills.

He picked it up at 15.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

cool post but big to quote again

what kinda datasets did you guys have available? I'd think you'd want a dataset like 10 years worth of FIFA player-tracking data, put that together with medical histories and heights and weights and habits of cutting, how hard an athlete changed direction and how often, might start to get something useful outta that. I think they started doing movement tracking back in 2014? So that stupid sport might be useful soon

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Like.

WTF do you do if you're trying to defend this.

:staredog:

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/931037225088937984

point at his pivot foot so the ref can see when it slides about a yard. Make sure the rules are enforced differently because he is making the game unfair, aka the "Wilt." Or punch him in the kidney, which is known as the "Jordan Rules."

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

EvanTH posted:

point at his pivot foot so the ref can see when it slides about a yard. Make sure the rules are enforced differently because he is making the game unfair, aka the "Wilt." Or punch him in the kidney, which is known as the "Jordan Rules."

I don't see his pivot foot slide.

I don't like the Hakeem comparisons for Embiid. He's so much bigger.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Put him in the drat Hall of Fame right now

https://twitter.com/JoelEmbiid/status/931053351055196160

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

MVP MVP MVP MVP

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
HaMeme Olajuwon

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

lol

Lieutenant Hoffman
Mar 4, 2009

hell yeah!!!

EvanTH posted:

what kinda datasets did you guys have available? I'd think you'd want a dataset like 10 years worth of FIFA player-tracking data, put that together with medical histories and heights and weights and habits of cutting, how hard an athlete changed direction and how often, might start to get something useful outta that. I think they started doing movement tracking back in 2014? So that stupid sport might be useful soon

the quality is really poor so you can't clearly see the dribble in the middle. This guy is the real deal.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lieutenant Hoffman posted:

the quality is really poor so you can't clearly see the dribble in the middle. This guy is the real deal.

Yeah I think people saying he traveled are missing that dribble. It's great footwork.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

i love how embiid is already better than anyone thought he would be and he was thought to have star potential lmfao we're all hosed

In the darkest corners of over the top KU homerism the words “better than Hakeem” were uttered and somehow uncovered by Kentucky fans. We were mocked for three years. I’d gloat but we were even more wrong about ADavis.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

The Glumslinger posted:

HaMeme Olajuwon

I like this very much.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Philly about to build a statue to Sam Hinkie

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is Embiid-Simmons-RoCo the best frontcourt in the league??

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Isn't Simmons a point guard, or did he stop being passive aggressive about it

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
The world doesn't deserve Joel Embiid

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Tae posted:

He's a point guard.

Especially recently when the starting lineups have been just him + Redick with 3 front court players.

When there's another PG on the floor (McConnell) he slots to be more of a 4ish

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tae posted:

He plays PF some of the time when McConnell plays.

He's definitely the starting PG and starts the game guarding PGs .

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
So there's no way embiid isn't an eastern all star this year right? Would number of games played impact that at all? Hell, ben simmons might end up making it too in this east

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
If Ben Simmons keeps putting up his current numbers and doesn't make it, it'll be a huge snub.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Embiid is for sure an All-Star, he’s been in every game except the back end of a back to back early on

Simmons is most likely an All-Star as well because he’s been producing almost right away

last night was when I became a proud father bc my sons commanded that game

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Funktastic posted:

So there's no way embiid isn't an eastern all star this year right? Would number of games played impact that at all? Hell, ben simmons might end up making it too in this east

He's only missed 2 out of 14 games so far, so I'm thinking that won't be an issue this year. I think, barring something catastrophic, he's a lock for the ASG this year. I'm fairly high on Simmons being first rook AS since Blake as well.

Also, Ben Simmons' sister is SAVAGE

https://twitter.com/livvalice/status/931040188570071040

Jesus Rocket
Apr 25, 2003
Just watched to Lakers/76ers highlights. <3 Embiid forever and LMAO Ball's only made shot was a circus shot that looked like a mistake. He's going to be out of the league so fast.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I love him so much

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

East AS squad is wide open. There were 5 guys on it last year who won't make it this year . (Butler IT Melo PG Millsap)

I'd guess starters would be

Irving Derozan James Giannis Zing

Reserves

Wall Horford Drummond Beal Simmons Embiid Gordon

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I know length is the thing everyone talks about regarding Milwaukee but holy poo poo was their length on display last night, including Bledsoe. Ten blocks in the first half!

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

East AS squad is wide open. There were 5 guys on it last year who won't make it this year . (Butler IT Melo PG Millsap)

I'd guess starters would be

Irving Derozan James Giannis Zing

Joel smoked Zing in fan and media voting last year, and they were nearly even on player votes.

I don't think there's a way Jo doesn't start.

Lebron-Giannis-Embiid

holy gently caress

e: \/ The more I think about it, the more I think Paul George would be a loving great fit with the Sixers. You'd lose a little bit of defense when Cov has to guard 4s (or just put Ben on them) but I think it would be great

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 16, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Noctone posted:

LeBron to Philly would be so extremely lit and gently caress anyone who poo-poos the idea.
They already have Ben Simmons. LeBron would just get in the way, unless he's ready to be a 6th man.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
BBB better be making a lot of money or Lonzo made a huge mistake not signing with a big company.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jakemarc23/status/931040462168821760

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I woke up and shortly after remembered that Joel Embiid said he was at 69% and laughed real hard

• Locked thread