Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Tappo 2

Tappo 2 is a freeware 2D action game by Sebastian Aaltonen. It's part of the "cave flyer" genre that got popular in Finland in the 90s for whatever reason. Here's a short description of the game from HotU:

Home of the Underdogs posted:

The idea behind the game is the same as in every other caveflier: maneuver a small ship in tight caverns, blasting other ships to smithereens with a formidable arsenal weapons while fighting gravity and being careful not to hit the terrain.

Your arenas are caves of the gigantic planet Neraka Prime, each of which contains repairing platforms that you can use to repair your spacecraft and load ammunition, as well shops which sell upgrades and additional devices for a price.

I've spent hours and hours playing this game either by myself or with friends sharing one keyboard. The different weapons, pilots and ships bring a lot of variety and every ship controls differently depending on the weight, engines, gravitational pull etc. Probably the best freeware game I know.

Unfortunately it's pretty tricky to get running on a modern system, I haven't managed to get it running correctly since my Win98 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

This is reminding me of something fierce but I can't put my finger on it. I checked out what looks to be the only video of it on YouTube - are the gun and explosion sound effects all done by mouth? If so that's pretty amazing. Also, why does searching for Tappo II bring up a bunch of earwax removal videos?

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Moooooooooooon posted:

This is reminding me of something fierce but I can't put my finger on it. I checked out what looks to be the only video of it on YouTube - are the gun and explosion sound effects all done by mouth? If so that's pretty amazing. Also, why does searching for Tappo II bring up a bunch of earwax removal videos?

They are, mostly. I almost mentioned it in my post but couldn't find a better way to describe it other than "the sound effects are all weird mouth noises", so I just left it out.

FeastForCows has a new favorite as of 09:05 on Nov 15, 2017

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007
And they say video games aren't art.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

FeastForCows posted:

They are, mostly. I almost mentioned it in my post but couldn't find a better way to describe it other than "the sound effects are all weird mouth noises", so I just left it out.

I mean, that's a pretty big selling point right there

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

rodbeard posted:

When my mom bought our first family computer in the early to mid 90s it came preinstalled with doom 2. For some reason she thought between that and the stuff that got installed with Windows 3.1 was plenty and flat out refused to purchase any computer games whatsoever. My only experience to new games past that for a significant portion of my childhood were the shareware games available on AOL. A few I remembered and tracked down in my adulthood such as Dungeons of the unforgiven, the exile/avernum series, and Mordor: the depths of dejanal. For the most part I really can't remember most of the games I tried out as a kid. I figured this might be a good place to ask. Does anybody know how to find all those old games that used to be on AOL? Internet way back websites mostly seem to be like dead ends because it was a few years before any of them actually existed and all of that content was gated on the AOL servers rather than normal URLS be since web browsers weren't really a standardized thing yet.

I remember playing Mordor, we got it off of one of those shareware CDs you used to buy for $10 at Walmart. The Internet Archive has a huge collection of them, you might find what you're looking for if you dig around in there for long enough.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Looks a lot like Subterrania for the Genesis, which I guess was made by Danish demoscene people around the same time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Looks a lot like Subterrania for the Genesis, which I guess was made by Danish demoscene people around the same time.

Or, going a little earlier, the quite difficult Solar Jetman for the NES.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Moooooooooooon posted:

And they say video games aren't art.

Just wanted to thank you for your effort posts they were a great read especially Senseless Violence 1 which has the personality of a new grounds flash game. The Aliens Mind intro is a great listen, and I really like the ship design and cover.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tappo means "manslaughter" by the by.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I don't know how popular it was outside of my social circle but we played Liero on our school computers almost every day when I was in middle school. It's a DOS game that's basically Worms only done real-time and in split screen. We almost never played it legit because it was way more fun to just reduce reload time to zero and use the kickback from machine gun as an impromptu jet pack so every match devolved into people haphazardly zipping around with volleys of gunfire in their wake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE2XtQaMb5I

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Guy Mann posted:

I don't know how popular it was outside of my social circle but we played Liero on our school computers almost every day when I was in middle school. It's a DOS game that's basically Worms only done real-time and in split screen. We almost never played it legit because it was way more fun to just reduce reload time to zero and use the kickback from machine gun as an impromptu jet pack so every match devolved into people haphazardly zipping around with volleys of gunfire in their wake.

When you said "Worms in real-time" you weren't kidding. Mechanics, graphics, weapons, name, everything takes from it. Looks fun though.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I remember playing that but I just thought it WAS Worms

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

I remember playing Mordor, we got it off of one of those shareware CDs you used to buy for $10 at Walmart. The Internet Archive has a huge collection of them, you might find what you're looking for if you dig around in there for long enough.

I think I might have had one of those exact CD's I'm going to check it out when I get home.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Worms? Oh you younguns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_eDmM1hJbg

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I played quite ab it of this. The guy in the vid is playing big bomb icons and high arms level with death explosions - the more I played it, the less fun I found that because one person gets to shoot and everyone is dead.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Guy Mann posted:

Holy poo poo, I played the hell out of this with my brothers when we were kids. We did what you did, physics manipulation was so much more fun than the "proper" way to play.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, look at you with your fancy modern games from the '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmkTamdgIY0

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ziv Zulander posted:

I mean, that's a pretty big selling point right there

https://youtu.be/jwxN8sCIOOE

Moooooooooooon
Nov 24, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Well, look at you with your fancy modern games from the '90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmkTamdgIY0

Ahem.

I can't find any footage of the Apple II version of Artillery and I'm struggling to get it working on the emulator but it should be more or less the same as the below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojusp7SjEyw

Nude posted:

Just wanted to thank you for your effort posts they were a great read especially Senseless Violence 1 which has the personality of a new grounds flash game. The Aliens Mind intro is a great listen, and I really like the ship design and cover.

Thanks! It's been a fun trip down memory lane. I've got a few more that I'll post when I get around to it.

Edit: added video

Moooooooooooon has a new favorite as of 13:39 on Nov 16, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Guy Mann posted:

I remember liero, it was kinda just a clusterfuck when played by 13 year olds though

I found this, I guess some people are still into it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2yi60-grHs

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:yeah:

My first exposure to that genre was QBASIC GORILLAS, which Wikipedia says came out in... 1991?! I would have bet half my savings that I played it before that; the SNES came out in 1991, and I would have sworn to you I played this at the house of a friend who lived in a city we moved away from before the release of that console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDc3ZEKl-Wc

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Hey all, remember Stronghold?

No, not that one, but this one!

8 years before Firefly Studio's franchise, SSI (known for their many D&D-based games) made an empire builder where you get to make your own D&D kingdom! I loved playing this game as a kid, though being the wuss that I am I always played on easy or customized with only the weak monsters who tended to stay near their lairs. That though meant I never faced off against the toughest enemy, Mindark The Evil (ha haha, ha haha haha!)

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Re: Liero, there's also MoleZ, released a year earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIs0PbHQC8I

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

rodbeard posted:

This thread is making me nostalgic for my first ever dungeon crawler. It was Moraff's dungeons of the unforgiven. It was an absolutely garishly colored first person turn based game. Instead of animation enemy sprites flipped every time they took a step. You weren't allowed to attempt the last 5th of the game unless you played on hard mode which only made the basic gameplay slightly harder but changed the already grindy experience curve to a 2 to nth curve so that every level took as much as all the previous levels combined.

For some reason this was one of the first video games I bought for myself when I got my first credit card in 2005. After playing the shareware version way too much as a child I wanted to see how it ended. It was not yet considered abandonware but I couldn't find the game anywhere. Even the company's website which sold direct downloads of their lovely mahjongg games, and apparently still does, had no mention of it even existing. I ended up emailing them directly and they ended up selling me a zip file of the three RPGs they made for thirty dollars with the caveat that they would offer no support for it whatsoever.

Oh man, this is bringing back all sorts of memories. I can't remember if you controlled a party or just had a very convoluted D&D-esque character creator, but I remember spending hours hurling various avatars at a dungeon I didn't fully understand.

I want to believe that the mechanics still hold up but I'll probably be horribly disappointed.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Once you get used to the game it's more tedious than hard. It's also way shorter than I remember because I basically just grinded on the easy levels endlessly instead of going somewhere that actually gave significant experience. There's no party you pick from one of eight classes but half of them are basically completely useless as there was no real attempt at balance and one of the gimmick classes didn't even have it's gimmick actually coded into the game.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Looking at getting 1nsane on GOG. It's a great offroad racing game from ages ago that had some excellent mods, rally raids, rally stages and just good loving around in outdoor environments. Used to lose hours playing it with friends.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I really appreciated Interstate '76's multiplayer. From the ability to independently adjust your vehicle's chassis's and armor distribution to front/L/R/rear, to the variety of gimmick maps (giant racecourse, skyscraper, crater), to the button dedicated to Stampede telling you a poem over the radio, my friends and I lost many evenings to LAN mayhem. It's a shame that the game won't run on Windows 7, and even the GOG version seems to be finicky and unreliable.

Other car crash multiplayer games defaulted to a single health bar for your racer, and lost a lot of the physics and handling that made I'76 so great. The way your driver so casually says "There goes a tire..." or "Transmission's out!" in-game were great, and something I haven't found in other, newer games.

Wasn't I'76 done on the Mechwarrior engine, or something? Is there any spiritual successor that actually lets you adjust armor distribution and weaponry as I'76 did?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

XkyRauh posted:

I really appreciated Interstate '76's multiplayer. From the ability to independently adjust your vehicle's chassis's and armor distribution to front/L/R/rear, to the variety of gimmick maps (giant racecourse, skyscraper, crater), to the button dedicated to Stampede telling you a poem over the radio, my friends and I lost many evenings to LAN mayhem. It's a shame that the game won't run on Windows 7, and even the GOG version seems to be finicky and unreliable.

Other car crash multiplayer games defaulted to a single health bar for your racer, and lost a lot of the physics and handling that made I'76 so great. The way your driver so casually says "There goes a tire..." or "Transmission's out!" in-game were great, and something I haven't found in other, newer games.

Wasn't I'76 done on the Mechwarrior engine, or something? Is there any spiritual successor that actually lets you adjust armor distribution and weaponry as I'76 did?

That game was so drat cool.

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!

XkyRauh posted:

I loved this game. The way you could point your handgun out the drivers side window. I remember the multiplayer getting ruined by l33t hackers with flying cars and poo poo making it a very un-fun experience.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if I've posted it on this thread, but as far as I'm concerned Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of the best games ever made, and I still play it regularly. I'm not even going to try to buy one of those Mini SNES consoles because it's not one of the games that they picked.

Certainly not obscure but it's old. I feel like the graphics, 3D looking on a 2D platformer, held up way better than a lot of the early 3D games on later consoles.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

om nom nom posted:

I don't know if I've posted it on this thread, but as far as I'm concerned Donkey Kong Country 2 is one of the best games ever made, and I still play it regularly. I'm not even going to try to buy one of those Mini SNES consoles because it's not one of the games that they picked.

Certainly not obscure but it's old. I feel like the graphics, 3D looking on a 2D platformer, held up way better than a lot of the early 3D games on later consoles.

The graphics held up great but the gameplay is showing its age. That entire series has some problems with hitbox wonkiness that you wouldn’t be as likely to have if it was just sprites or 3D renders as opposed to a fusion. Lotta hits in DKC feel undeserved because of the weird hitboxes.

Yeah, I know it’s just one of those things with older games, but it sticks in my craw whenever people say the series “withstood the test of time”.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

That game was so drat cool.

So what's a good way to control it? Because in 20 years I've not found one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Probably counts as obscure as it seems few people have played it, although more recent than this threads usual fare - I've just beaten Pandora's Tower on the Wii (got the A ending at 75% completion). It was pretty interesting and the final boss was neat, and not as tedious as it could have been given the gimmick which was strangely reminiscent of Okami. I also like that the affinity meter carries over, so getting it to 9 or 10 for the S ending will be relatively easy when I get around to NG+

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

A weird game I love and always intend to finally finish is Baroque, which I think was originally released for the Dreamcast before getting PS2 and Wii (and iOS) ports. The Wii port is by far the best because it's the only one with the draw distance to render how weird the whole world is. It's an action roguelike with sort of clunky combat that really works well when you get the hang of it, it's sort of a janky proto-Souls game in that everything is animation-locked.

The plot: you're a boy who has apparently committed a great sin, although you don't remember. The landscape is devastated - both the ground and sky are sickly shades of red, and the few living things around are horrifying mutants that barely resemble their human forms. An imposing angel hands you the Seraph Rifle, a gun with six rounds that can kill anything, and points you to the Neuro Tower in the distance. "Use this. There is meaning in you using it."

You explore the tower floor by floor, fighting monsters, interacting with increasingly bizarre Angels, equipping new gear and eating to stay alive, while using things like injections, brands, and parasites to improve yourself. Your main concerns as you explore are VT (hunger) and item space. To save an item from one run to the next, you have to get lucky and find a "Consciousness Orb" in the Tower and toss the item inside. Each Orb can only transport one item, though, and they're pretty rare to find in the first place. There's actually a shitload guaranteed on every run that aren't really obvious as they look like environmental features rather than big loving orbs in empty rooms and the game never (to my knowledge) points them out. Most items aren't really worth saving - if you show enough items to a guy with a bag for a forehead, he'll have more space to hold stuff, but in general you'll find plenty in the Tower to keep you going if you play well. The exception here are Sephirahs, crystal orbs that rarely drop from monsters that you can show to a guy outside the Tower to get some cryptic information - if you can manage to get the Sephirah out of the Tower in the first place, that is. On top of that, there are eleven "Koriel" in the game - humanoids encased in some kind of robotic iron maiden that seem to recognize you and beg you to kill them. When they die, they drop their Sephirah - but they never respawn, so if you kill one, you need to be drat sure you have an extra Consciousness Orb on an upcoming floor or you'll lose that Sephirah forever.

The coolest thing about the game is obviously the weird sort of surreal theme going on. It never reaches too far into actual horror, but the game oozes existential dread.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

So what's a good way to control it? Because in 20 years I've not found one.

If my personal experience is anything to go by, you sit next to someone who has actually solved that problem and just yell at them when there's a bad guy.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Reminder that we're pretty close to crossing over the point where it's closer between 1976 and Interstate '76 than we are between Interstate '76 and the present.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

XkyRauh posted:

A guy in the game making threads posted about his game that claims to be heavily inspired by I76 if i remember right. He's been working on it for a few years and i'm pretty sure it's still live. Car driving combat with lots of customisability. Haven't played it myself but it looks alright from the videos.

http://www.scrapsgame.com/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You either get older, or you don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

BioEnchanted posted:

Probably counts as obscure as it seems few people have played it, although more recent than this threads usual fare - I've just beaten Pandora's Tower on the Wii (got the A ending at 75% completion). It was pretty interesting and the final boss was neat, and not as tedious as it could have been given the gimmick which was strangely reminiscent of Okami. I also like that the affinity meter carries over, so getting it to 9 or 10 for the S ending will be relatively easy when I get around to NG+

Gotta say, your posts about the game make me really want to play it, but it's a drat shame it's exclusive to a system I don't own