Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The MSJ posted:

Han Solo from EA's Battlefront 2

Lmao, that is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

A highschool band badly mis-playing the Cantina song is the first thing that popped into my head.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

A highschool band badly mis-playing the Cantina song is the first thing that popped into my head.

Portsmouth Symphonia would have done a great Cantina rendition.

Doesn't Lucasfilm own the rights to Ford's likeness for Han Solo?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Doesn't Lucasfilm own the rights to Ford's likeness for Han Solo?

That picture is from the single-player campaign set after ROTJ (and is canon). This is how he looks like when you choose to play as him in multiplayer:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/starwars/status/930634748585635841

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zas posted:

yeah. and everyone is always underestimating his power

actually i'd say that the funny thing is that nobody really underestimates his power, the jedi are loving terrified of him and sheeve just can not wait to get his hands on him

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Beeez posted:

It's also worth noting that Vader doesn't actually kill a subordinate until he finds out Luke is around. While it could have happened off-screen before that point, I've always thought it was a sign of his greater emotional investment in his mission in Empire in comparison to the original, and in contrast to his sense of resignation in Return.

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. The first time he doesn't kill a subordinate for failure is at the end of TESB with Piett, and that's because he's so distracted by his emotional investment in Luke. It's a major turning point. On the commentary I believe either Lucas or Kershner specifically state that this is his "C-3PO disassembled" moment, where the person he was is completely blasted apart and he's left to pick up the pieces and try to put himself back together.

The MSJ posted:

Anyone else getting a Dude vibe from this?

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 15, 2017

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The guy doing Hayden Christensen is perfect. That's not an easy impression, there are no glaring quirks to grab onto.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I never knew how badly I needed to see someone reading Force power levels off a clipboard to a crowd. There are a lot of people in Star Wars who should be walking around with clipboards.

Also I thought Star Tours closed but I guess I'm way behind on the times and they just replaced it with an updated one. NOT MY STAR TOURS.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Hamill should have busted in, spoiled the movie, then left.

God Tier Hamill

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Star Wars got them GIFs, sheeeeeyyyyyiiiiit

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/930880539438989312

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The MSJ posted:

First Kanan, then Cassian, now Han...

Can we just bring back Kyle Katarn already?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

The new canon explanation is that Tarkin and Vader are both semi-equal and basically both "second" in command to the Emperor, just over different aspects of the Empire. Tarkin was lead man in charge of the Death Star, so his command took precedence there. Tarkin dying is one of the main reasons Vader has near complete control of the Empire in ESB. There is no more check on his power, other than the Emperor, who remains largely "hands off".

I always took it as Vader being Palpatine's muscle more than anything. He was a pit-bull on a leash to be aimed at problems that required his particular abilities. Dealing with politics and bureaucracy wasn't one of them. So he's instructed to back Tarkin up, to be the visible and intimidating face of the Emperor when he couldn't be present.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I always took it as Vader being Palpatine's muscle more than anything. He was a pit-bull on a leash to be aimed at problems that required his particular abilities. Dealing with politics and bureaucracy wasn't one of them. So he's instructed to back Tarkin up, to be the visible and intimidating face of the Emperor when he couldn't be present.

What, are you trying to say Vader isn't the kind to stay late to finish up his paperwork?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ror posted:

Also I thought Star Tours closed but I guess I'm way behind on the times and they just replaced it with an updated one. NOT MY STAR TOURS.

They update it periodically. There's sequences in it based on TFA. For being an old motion simulator, it's pretty good.

That actually is one thing I look forward to at the new Star Wars park. The new Avatar ride is loving dope, and I imagine they've got something even better cooking for Star Wars land.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
What was the point of putting Finn in a coma at the end of The Force Awakens?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

General Dog posted:

So they can debut his new robo spine in The Last Jedi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

It forces Finn and Rey to separate which they wouldn't clearly have much reason to do otherwise.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It forces Finn and Rey to separate which they wouldn't clearly have much reason to do otherwise.

Clearly Rey has some reason to seek out Luke, wouldn't having someone there to question her motives be a good thing?

It feels kind of like the writers weren't sure how to cap off Finn's arc or his friendship with Rey so they just kind of punted.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

General Dog posted:

Clearly Rey has some reason to seek out Luke, wouldn't having someone there to question her motives be a good thing?

It feels kind of like the writers weren't sure how to cap off Finn's arc or his friendship with Rey so they just kind of punted.

Well, Luke didn't take Han or Leia or Wedge with him to Dagobah, so of course Rey couldn't take anyone with her to Luke

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Luke took R2 to see Yoda in Empire.

Rey took R2 and Chewie in Awakens.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Davros1 posted:

Well, Luke didn't take Han or Leia or Wedge with him to Dagobah, so of course Rey couldn't take anyone with her to Luke

The movie gives her an easy out by letting her leave Finn behind without having to explain herself.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

AndyElusive posted:

Luke took R2 to see Yoda in Empire.

Oh poo poo, yeah, we have a Luke/Chewie reunion to look forward to.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, we have a Luke/Chewie reunion to look forward to.

Chewie's probably going to be flying off with the Ewoks Porgs instead of hanging around

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the other way around. The first time he doesn't kill a subordinate for failure is at the end of TESB with Piett, and that's because he's so distracted by his emotional investment in Luke. It's a major turning point. On the commentary I believe either Lucas or Kershner specifically state that this is his "C-3PO disassembled" moment, where the person he was is completely blasted apart and he's left to pick up the pieces and try to put himself back together.

Man your posting style has changed. Did you swap accounts with someone during your stint in prison?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cnut the Great posted:

More of a CGI Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Ror posted:

I went on the one in Orlando earlier this year. The motion stuff combined with the 3D is pretty great.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The new star tours is amazing and when you go to jakku scavengers try to scavenge you.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Jerkface posted:

The new star tours is amazing and when you go to jakku scavengers try to scavenge you.

Does it always end on Coruscant? I did it twice. Got Jakku and then Hoth.

The Star Wars fireworks show at night is loving amazing too.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jerkface posted:

If I wanted that I'd just got to Detroit

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

I really wanna know why Rian asked JJ to replace switch BB-8 and R2-D2's roles at the end of the movie

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

I really wanna know why Rian asked JJ to replace switch BB-8 and R2-D2's roles at the end of the movie

Maybe R2 really really wanted to go? Luke and R2 are best buds.

Plus, isn't BB8 Poe's co-pilot?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Luke needs to see R2 one more time before he dies

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cat Machine posted:

Probably wanted to have R2 paired with Luke and BB-8 paired with Poe for the story he wanted to tell.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Cnut the Great posted:

I mean that he never does that in A New Hope. So he kills his subordinates when he's obsessed with meeting Luke, but then once he actually does and fails to join forces with him he no longer has that rage.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Beeez posted:

I mean that he never does that in A New Hope. So he kills his subordinates when he's obsessed with meeting Luke, but then once he actually does and fails to join forces with him he no longer has that rage.

He tries to choke Motti to death and only stops because Tarkin tells him to. He also chokes Captain Antilles to death at the beginning. Darth Vader doesn't need angst about a long-lost son to want to go around angrily choking people to death. Dude's just a strangler, it's his natural state of being.

It's also worth noting that finding out that he has a son isn't even the event that really screws him up emotionally. It affects him a little bit, but he's actually very quickly able to assimilate this new knowledge into his identity as Darth Vader. "So I have a son? Great. I can take advantage of his attachment to me to recruit him over to my side and use his power to help me overthrow the Emperor. Then I can finally be the Emperor!" His offer of ruling the galaxy as father and son is a cynical ploy.

The thing that really blasts him apart, identity-wise, is the fact that he fails to turn Luke--that Luke chooses to commit suicide rather than join him, and then manages to escape with his friends. None of that fits with the worldview he's constructed for himself as Vader, and he doesn't know how to process it. That's the first time a real crack in the armor starts to show.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Yeah, Rian asking JJ to swap R2 and BB was if nothing else correcting a really dumb mistake.

I hope all the Rey and Luke island training is intercut with R2 slowly but surely getting up the stairs, and when he finally gets to the huts, it's time for them to go. R2 sighs and looks at the camera. Iris wipe.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ingmar terdman posted:

Yeah, Rian asking JJ to swap R2 and BB was if nothing else correcting a really dumb mistake.

I hope all the Rey and Luke island training is intercut with R2 slowly but surely getting up the stairs, and when he finally gets to the huts, it's time for them to go. R2 sighs and looks at the camera. Iris wipe.

Hell of a thing to do to a 66 year old decorated veteran of two wars

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ingmar terdman posted:

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Those loving assholes just ignore R2 while he’s clearing struggling with those stairs