Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
What’s a decent not stupid expensive drum machine? I currently use my iPad but I want to switch to a hardware unit that has midi. I know that’s about as vague as it gets but I have a sub 37, minilogue and a Deepmind 12.

Short of that, is there something I can use that will make the iPad shoot out midi clock to my other synths?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

Thorpe posted:

What’s a decent not stupid expensive drum machine?

rhythm wolf,tr-8,er-1,R-8,ry-30,rx-7

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
also the drumbrute, tr 08, and tr 09

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

I'd go TR-8 over either boutique rn, personally.

Clavavisage posted:

rhythm wolf,tr-8,er-1,R-8,ry-30,rx-7

Thats a good list or an MPC1000 does a lot more than a drum machine but it might work for you too.

MIDI in or out (do you have a master seq or is this gonna be it)? Are you thinking like sequencing notes? Sending triggers? Just clock?

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

JamesKPolk posted:

I'd go TR-8 over either boutique rn, personally.
theres a lot to be said for portability and having a self contained instrument you dont even have to plug up to anything to make music with :shrug:

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah they're definitely worth considering if you can't swing normal power stuff for whatever reason. I love em off USB strips personally but thats kind of a weird application.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Got my volca keys in over the weekend! Spent the first session with it just playing with the knobs and trying sounds, tonight I worked out how to use the sequencer a bit. A big problem I'm having is a constant buzzing when using it with my headphones? Haven't been able to grab another pair or record to my computer to see if it's just this set yet but it's pretty annoying.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Got my volca keys in over the weekend! Spent the first session with it just playing with the knobs and trying sounds, tonight I worked out how to use the sequencer a bit. A big problem I'm having is a constant buzzing when using it with my headphones? Haven't been able to grab another pair or record to my computer to see if it's just this set yet but it's pretty annoying.

Try running it on batteries and cutting the feedback and see if it's gone

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

JamesKPolk posted:

Yeah they're definitely worth considering if you can't swing normal power stuff for whatever reason. I love em off USB strips personally but thats kind of a weird application.
thats not at all what i was talking about

am i really the only poster itt who has ever felt lazy about having to plug everything in? when i want to make music my tb-03 scratches a really nice "the modulars too much work right now!" kinda itch iykwim

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

am i really the only poster itt who has ever felt lazy about having to plug everything in? when i want to make music my tb-03 scratches a really nice "the modulars too much work right now!" kinda itch iykwim

I'm sort of with you. I took over a spare bedroom where I keep everything plugged in and ready to go on short notice, but sometimes I can't be bothered to even get that far and just bust out the iPad or OP-1 instead. I almost never move any of my other hardware synths though so portability is probably the last concern I have.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

free Trapt CD posted:

Nb the MS-20 also transmits USB midi in/out, but only sends note data, not velocity. No idea whether the Microkorg is the same or not. Something to consider if you're planning on using your synth as a controller also.

Three whole days late, but as the idiot who uses a Mircokorg as a MIDI controller*, it does send velocity, modulation, clock, program selection, the whole works. If you're getting it used, chain yourself to the door and don't budge until they find you a manual, though - it's utterly incomprehensible on its own.

* I figured, if I was going to get something to control my irritating noisemaker, it might as well also make irritating noises itself. The only drawback has been spending more time blending preset patches on the two units than I have making my own.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I almost always want to make a new patch in Serum, and then I get lazy, start browsing the presets, and then barely tweak something that already exists. :negative:

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Try running it on batteries and cutting the feedback and see if it's gone

I haven't picked up a power cable yet so that's not it. i fiddled with all the knobs and it was still there even with them all turned all the way to the left. I'll try with different headphones or speakers tonight.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I almost always want to make a new patch in Serum, and then I get lazy, start browsing the presets, and then barely tweak something that already exists. :negative:

im too lazy to even figure out how to use software hahaha

mdh1975
Sep 4, 2011
I'm thinking about getting a Novation Circuit for my girlfriend's son for Christmas. He makes some music on his Macbook, probably with GarageBand as he also plays some guitar. He's getting into beats and such. From what I am reading online the Circuit is a lot of fun to play with and practice on and my max budget would allow for it and perhaps something else. For that something else I was thinking maybe the Volca Sample or would the Pocket Operator 32 be a good fun choice? Would the PO-32 even work with the Circuit? I can't seem to find any info on the combination online. Or should I go a different direction and get a couple of Volcas instead or a few different Pocket Operators?

floatman
Mar 17, 2009
I recall the circuit does midi in and out, while the pocket operators only have click tracks in.
The volcas do midi in only, but have click tracks in and out.
You could do: giant mess of pocket operators and volcas, or
Circuit to one volca

Volca to pocket operators is possible, but pocket operators to volca sync may need some way to split the left/right audio coming out of the pocket operator

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Just buy the kid a Eurorack case and teach him how to sell himself on the street to support his new habit addiction , "hobby"

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

We had a 4 hour power outage last night and it was so good sitting in the dark mashing buttons and twisting knobs on my battery powered Circuit. I love that thing, I've only flicked through the manual a couple of times but the Circuit is laid out well enough and color coded well enough that I can work out where I am what I'm doing fairly quickly (even by candlelight).

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

mdh1975 posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Novation Circuit for my girlfriend's son for Christmas. He makes some music on his Macbook, probably with GarageBand as he also plays some guitar. He's getting into beats and such. From what I am reading online the Circuit is a lot of fun to play with and practice on and my max budget would allow for it and perhaps something else. For that something else I was thinking maybe the Volca Sample or would the Pocket Operator 32 be a good fun choice? Would the PO-32 even work with the Circuit? I can't seem to find any info on the combination online. Or should I go a different direction and get a couple of Volcas instead or a few different Pocket Operators?

get him a circuit and wolfenstein 2. having a machine that kills fascists worked for woody guthrie

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Circuit is great fun and probably the most inspirational piece of gear I own outside of the op1. It's intuitive as hell and really lovely to work with. If you get good at sample flipping, the creative possibilities go way beyond two synths, four drums too. I've often thought that if I'd have had this when I was younger I would be way better at music than I am now.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

After The War posted:

Three whole days late, but as the idiot who uses a Mircokorg as a MIDI controller*, it does send velocity, modulation, clock, program selection, the whole works. If you're getting it used, chain yourself to the door and don't budge until they find you a manual, though - it's utterly incomprehensible on its own.

* I figured, if I was going to get something to control my irritating noisemaker, it might as well also make irritating noises itself. The only drawback has been spending more time blending preset patches on the two units than I have making my own.

That's fantastic to know, thank you. Every new thing I learn about those makes them seem like an better proposition for gigging... The interface aside....

Does anyone here have experience with string sample libraries that aren't geared towards the 'cinematic' sound? Always find myself wishing I could throw some string sections that are closer to the Motown or Philadelphia soul sound into the stuff I mock up at home, but don't have enough cash to try all the varieties. NI Session Strings is on sale, can anybody advise as to whether that would get me close? The Big Fish one seems to lack cello, which is a totally vital ingredient to the right kind of sound. Ability to write individual parts per instrument is a plus, I'm deep enough in this poo poo that I half consider buying the Samplemodeling stuff just so I can be totally anal about the articulations and things. More constructively, is there anything I've missed?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
https://twitter.com/UncleKitchener/status/931189719999840256

I have to say I'm still very tempted.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

For at least another 10 hours as far as I can make out, with coupon code yourday, 50% off Waldorf software products in their online shop. This includes the Blofeld sample license, if anyone's been eyeing that. Also soundsets and all their softsynths.

The mail says "until Saturday the 18th". I'm guessing that's German time. And even then, not sure that it includes Saturday as well or not.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Their German site doesn't really make it any clearer but my reading would be not including Saturday, I'd definitely err on the side of caution.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but is anybody aware of any forums or sub forums out there specific to sampling and making sample based music? There are a bunch of forums related to guitars and guitar gear that are super specific down to forums specific to fuzz pedals and harsh noise, so it seems weird that the closest thing I can find is the reddit music producers forum, which is like 99% people posting their own FLStudio MIDI beats instead of actually talking about gear/techniques/etc.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheQuietWilds posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but is anybody aware of any forums or sub forums out there specific to sampling and making sample based music? There are a bunch of forums related to guitars and guitar gear that are super specific down to forums specific to fuzz pedals and harsh noise, so it seems weird that the closest thing I can find is the reddit music producers forum, which is like 99% people posting their own FLStudio MIDI beats instead of actually talking about gear/techniques/etc.

Our own VST thread might be a good place, however the Home Recording thread might also work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3459870

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2292898

A sampler-specific thread might not last long. There was a short-lived Serum thread, and I wish it was still alive :smith:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Yeah I’m not really holding out hope for a thriving sampler scene on SA, I’m just kind of surprised to not be able to find some weird corner where nerds interested in that specific thing have congregated.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Not really sure why samplerchat can't go in here. It's not like this thread is blowing up with 100 pages a day.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

sp-forums.com used to have some cool sampler chat but theyre p dead now :shrug:

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
Mpc-forums.com ?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Loving my volca so far, except for the ribbon keyboard. It's manageable when doing step sequencing but thats kind of a pain in the butt. Might try and find a cheap keyboard with midi out at some point. I'm afraid I can already see myself falling down the gear hole. I'll probably get a pocket operator around Christmas and can see myself shelling out for something like a Circuit in a year or so.

also the noise in my heaphones went away when i plugged it into through desktop speakers. :thumbsup:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Stan Taylor posted:

Loving my volca so far, except for the ribbon keyboard. It's manageable when doing step sequencing but thats kind of a pain in the butt. Might try and find a cheap keyboard with midi out at some point. I'm afraid I can already see myself falling down the gear hole. I'll probably get a pocket operator around Christmas and can see myself shelling out for something like a Circuit in a year or so.

also the noise in my heaphones went away when i plugged it into through desktop speakers. :thumbsup:

the circuit has midi out so you can play and sequence your volca with it if you want

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Honestly there's enough sampler grognards in here I think you'd be hard pressed to do better in one spot.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Stan Taylor posted:

Might try and find a cheap keyboard with midi out at some point.

You could do a lot worse than the Arturia Keystep. I picked one up with pretty low expectations and have been really impressed with it. Sequencer, arp, aftertouch, & and pretty compact.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Startyde posted:

Honestly there's enough sampler grognards in here I think you'd be hard pressed to do better in one spot.

hey!!! :mad:

**looks at first sampler akai ever put out**

**looks at first sampler roland ever put out**

**looks at first sampler korg ever put out**

:blush:

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
I've tried an IDE CF reader in my A4000 with no luck, but it was just a random one I had around. There a GS thread on it that recommends one that jacks directly in to the mobo (no cable), and it's only $3.60 on ebay so I just ordered one of those. We'll see.

Between acreil's posts and the EMU filter thread on GS, there's not many technical stones left unturned.

Anyway: bring on the sampler talk.

Who's got the most obscure sampling gear? I'll start: Akai S3500, prototype of the S3200XL.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
I've got a Sequential Circuits Studio 440, the sampler that originally bankrupted Dave Smith.

Lost an Ensoniq Mirage - with high-def sampling expansion - from loaning it to a friend a few decades back. Still super annoyed about that. :argh:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I had a Roland ms1 (pcmcia lol) and akai s20 back in the days. And that Peavey thing but I literally never used it.
Free from them all at this point. :yotj:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Still miss my EPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I have, uh, a Digitakt that's currently sitting at home while I'm on an overseas work assignment :(

as bad as the posters are, there are a ton of sampler nerds on gearslutz