Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I hope I answered all your questions Osric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Also tng enterprise seemed really lousy with shuttles like I get it you're sick with shuttles so why not but they seem to be giving them away or just leave shuttles on planets like it's nothing like can you imagine there's crazy poo poo on every loving planet they visit that would be the find of a lifetime

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Plus you don't do anything you just go like oh computer take me to a planet where I can breathe also no dinosaurs also some scrambled eggs thank you baby

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Shut up Wesley

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
What if you got to the first planet and looked in a cave and found an old VHS of your parents getting it on holy poo poo

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's usually guys with big penises who are jerks, VQL

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Oh that was uncalled for I'm sorry VQL

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
quindecuple post

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Some days I wake up and realize I'm not Andie McDowell and it puts me in a mood until I go back to bed

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

criscodisco posted:

It's usually guys with big penises who are jerks, VQL

I didn't red text myself :agesilaus:

Actually it is small there are just two now due to a transporter accident

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Osric posted:

Korean(?) communication lady.

Hoshi Sato is Japanese, but the actor (Linda Park) is Korean. I think I mentioned it before in one of these threads, but apart from Sulu (and even that is arguable), no Asian character has the same nationality as their actor.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Finished DS9

Now on VOY, gently caress I hate the writers. Just look at Janeway -

Episode 1: "we must violate the prime directive to let this planet live another few years"
Episode 3: "no we cannot save this entire planet, that could probably live forever, from wiping themselves out because priiiiime dirrrrrective!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

simplefish posted:

Finished DS9

Episode 1: "we must violate the prime directive to let this planet live another few years"
Episode 3: "no we cannot save this entire planet, that could probably live forever, from wiping themselves out because priiiiime dirrrrrective!"

Oh look, another innocent soul has come venturing down the rabbit hole... :unsmigghh:

Run awayyyy!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

simplefish posted:

Finished DS9

I'll admit it; Voyager eventually defeated me

think I got 5 seasons in

you will hate it coming off of DS9 especially

the boring beige world of Voyager will break you over its knee as if you were a little baby

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Osric posted:

I like the episode of TNG where they introduce Barclay and expose him as a holo-perv. But it is always bothered me that they make a point of the other characters being all "WHAAAT? Making facsimiles of other people to live out your fantasises? THAT IS UNHEARD OF!"

It's ridiculously naive about human nature and I don't say that just because I'm a depraved internet person looking back with hindsight. Hitchcock's Rear Window features a character who physically acts out an entire date with an imaginary man alone in her apartment and that film was made in the fifties.

Lonely people being weird fantasists is probably an eternal feature of humanity so it doesn't make sense that they react to Barclay's tame little fantasies like he was caught putting spiders in his arsehole.

I just want to say, it's not infinite energy to mass conversion for the purposes of making medicine or food, or faster than light space travel that turns Earth into a paradise in the future. It's sex bots and holodecks. As soon as mankind has Westworld robots they can cum into all wars will end and the galaxy will be at peace.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

simplefish posted:

Finished DS9

That's a running theme. Later on it might be something like

Episode 56: " We must accept our fate and that some of us will die so as to not violate the borders of the aliens and respect their culture"
Episode 60: " We must fire our infinite amount of photon torpedos at those alien patrol ships who turned hostile when we decided to fly through their space for no real reason"

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 16, 2017

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Didn't the actress literally start sorta playing Janeway as a crazy person because the writing for the character was so inconsistent

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Osric posted:

I like the episode of TNG where they introduce Barclay and expose him as a holo-perv. But it is always bothered me that they make a point of the other characters being all "WHAAAT? Making facsimiles of other people to live out your fantasises? THAT IS UNHEARD OF!"

"How outrageous you would persue romance/sex with something other than a real person! Summon the fainting couches to Ten Forward immediately!"

*Meanwhile...*

- Riker falls in love with a barfly hologram.
- Geordi summons a recreation of a real person so he can "touch her engine".
- Rando crew member gets the hots for Data.
- Beverly gets seduced by a sex ghost.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
really they were just horrified that anyone would use the holodeck for something other than public domain yawnfests and unspeakably obscene fuckfests.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

So I started watching the Orville since a lot of people have been saying that it's THE REAL STAR TREK and uh...really? I mean it's okay, definitely a lot of superficial similarities to TNG and the episodic format is nice, but it's kind of hokey in a bad way. I don't hate it, but considering the praise it's been getting I'm surprised at how dumb it is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Space Camp fuckup posted:

So I started watching the Orville since a lot of people have been saying that it's THE REAL STAR TREK and uh...really? I mean it's okay, definitely a lot of superficial similarities to TNG and the episodic format is nice, but it's kind of hokey in a bad way. I don't hate it, but considering the praise it's been getting I'm surprised at how dumb it is.

The "real" Star Trek is aping all the grimdark "ends justify the means" and "democrat warawk militarism is the most moral end state of society" poo poo that has been en vogue and it's nice to have a hokey show where things are generally upbeat and optimistic and the humans and aliens are working together to try and solve people's problems peacefully like Picard used to.

It's not like... Emmy worthy, it's just good fun comfort food TV that doesn't put on airs and graces of tying to be more than it is and apes a format of sci-fi that TBQH we need more of living here in Hellworld. Whether as a signpost that the future doesn't have to be the same runny poo poo as the present, or as escapism.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For me, I like the hokeyness, and like the characters. It's refreshing to tune into a show week to week that has continuity and explores various issues but isn't too serious and doesn't require a lot of emotional investment, and is self contained. I have very little emotional investment to give right now. They just don't make shows like this except crime procedurals now. I wish there was more tv that was just like a different mini movie every week that didn't have to do with catching criminals.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

I re-watched the last episodes of Voyager just to confirm that the show did not in fact have any kind of ending.

I don't even remember most of what happened. Something about Batmobile armor and Janeway being an rear end in a top hat and then I think I fell asleep because Generations was playing when I woke up. I guess it was on autoplay. So I turned it off.

In a world where the last Star Treks were Enterprise and Voyager and the pay-per-view CBS fiasco where Michelle Yeoh isn't even the captain goddamnit. Yeah, people are pretty keyed up over a ho-hum not great show that has a few laughs. I get it.

I just saw the Orville episode which is totally a ripoff of the Black Mirror episode where people rate each other on social media.

Black Mirror did it better, but I see a lot of people responding positively to the message thanks to Orville, so kudos to Seth I guess.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Orville probably wouldn't be getting so much attention if CBS Streaming Service Trek wasn't turbo edgy grimdark suck

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hope Netflix manages to get their Galaxy Quest series into production and we have not one but two joke treks that are on the balance better received than the "real" Trek.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

revwinnebago posted:

I just saw the Orville episode which is totally a ripoff of the Black Mirror episode where people rate each other on social media.

Black Mirror did it better, but I see a lot of people responding positively to the message thanks to Orville, so kudos to Seth I guess.

Seth said this was the inspiration for the episode
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_You%27ve_Been_Publicly_Shamed

quote:

So You've Been Publicly Shamed (2015) is a book by British journalist Jon Ronson about online shaming and its historical antecedents.[2] The book explores the re-emergence of public shaming as an Internet phenomenon, particularly on Twitter. As a state-sanctioned punishment, public shaming was popular in Colonial America. Between 1837 in the UK and 1839 in the US, it was phased out as a punishment, not due to the increasingly populous society, as was widely held,[3][4] but instead in response to rising calls for compassion.[5]

Black Mirror didn't exactly invent the concept, they just commented on it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Monkey Fracas posted:

Orville probably wouldn't be getting so much attention if CBS Streaming Service Trek wasn't turbo edgy grimdark suck

The single greatest thing ever done by The Orville was to come out two weeks early. Its like the Go Bots toy line coming out before the Transformers. For millions of people its probably good enough and scratches that space n' ships itch better than an extra $6 handed over to CBS.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's me. I'm the one giving CBS my money. (Well, not CBS, but CraveTV & whomever owns that). I hope more networks go that route. I am never going to buy a cable package to watch your trash with commercials. I watch so few shows that it's worth 'voting with my dollars' or whatever to get more of what I want to see.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I have just been watching on Netflix thru a VPN.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

But then I'd have to give a VPN my money, and how does that help them decide to make more grim dark trek?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The General posted:

But then I'd have to give a VPN my money, and how does that help them decide to make more grim dark trek?

SetUpVPN is a free chrome extension, friend; and we just want to hate watch and mock, not actually encourage this.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's not really Trek, but I do kinda like it. I just wish the Klingons weren't so joyless, and that the middle eastern guy wasn't so traitorous.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

They were a bit more fun in the last episode but they all got blown up :(

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Seth said this was the inspiration for the episode
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_You%27ve_Been_Publicly_Shamed

Black Mirror didn't exactly invent the concept, they just commented on it.

Eh. Lemme rephrase, I think he Orville'd Black Mirror. Which isn't a crime. He's a huge fan of Black Mirror so it was definitely on his mind, and his episode is way closer to Mirror's Nosedive than it is to the book. In fact that article says another Black Mirror episode is based on that book, which is a bit of trivia I would expect Seth to be aware of.

Maybe his original script was more like the book, and then when it came time to film it he decided to mix in more Nosedive. Zero wrong with that. But it's really hard to deny the influence.

The scene where they rate each other at the coffee shop and someone is refused service, c'mon, that's Nosedive.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

They were a bit more fun in the last episode but they all got blown up :(

Yeah the warlord guy was having fun with the knife fight and there was a bit of the old klingon goodness for a bit then welp.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

revwinnebago posted:

Eh. Lemme rephrase, I think he Orville'd Black Mirror. Which isn't a crime. He's a huge fan of Black Mirror so it was definitely on his mind, and his episode is way closer to Mirror's Nosedive than it is to the book. In fact that article says another Black Mirror episode is based on that book, which is a bit of trivia I would expect Seth to be aware of.

I'm not sure if I've pointed this out here or on reddit, but Nosedive was first aired like 11 months before the first episode of the Orville was aired. I highly suspect that they had already written and possibly even shot that episode of the Orville then.

I also want to echo that on the STD front (lol) that seeing a Klingon knife fight on a bridge was great, and then the show reminded me with the rest of the episode why it's annoying.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

people have been saying that it's THE REAL STAR TREK... but it's kind of hokey in a bad way.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

https://i.imgur.com/3GjM2E2.gifv

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's not that it is an amazing show, it's that expectations were real low. If you go in expecting 'Family Guy in Space' it surprises you. The first 4 or so episodes are a bit rough, but better than anyone was expecting.

And then it gets better. They start respecting the audience to remember Alara is strong, so they don't need to contrive a reason for her to 'open a jar of pickles' every episode. In a couple other episodes strange things are going on and Alara has to figure it out using her brains, not her crazy strength, showing that she is actually qualified to be a security officer. Then they have an episode featuring the doctor and the robot, an actual ensemble cast and not just the Captain Seth show!

But in the end it's not going to blow your socks off or change your life. It is more like TNG than Voyager, Enterprise, or Discovery though. The closest thing to "more TNG" that we've had so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah going into the show i expected to completely loving hate it so it definitely benefited from low expectations