Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im duke from dukes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Duke gave Marty his own sign instead of keeping it himself. The owner of the bar that went out of business gave a patron it's sign. Marty may have a drinking problem.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i also own things from several bars lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Duke gave Marty his own sign instead of keeping it himself. The owner of the bar that went out of business gave a patron it's sign. Marty may have a drinking problem.

Like father, like son?

Hell, nearly every time Frasier comes home he starts filling that wine glass.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Hell, nearly every time Frasier comes home he starts filling that wine glass.

Seriously, if they pause for a second, their minds jump to "well, let's have a drink!"

I know the real reason is that actors like to have something to do with their hands.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

WampaLord posted:

Whenever they want a go to analogy for "whacko" it's usually a snide reference to a man who wants to become a woman or vice versa. Lots of gay panic stuff too, but hey, that's the 90s.

Still a hilarious show, making fun of snobs is timeless.

Remember when fraiser picked up a trans hooker?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember the Irish drag queen?

I felt happy for that dress finding a loving owner.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How many parties or soirées did frasier host and how many were total trainwrecks?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ditty bout my clitty posted:

How many parties or soirées did frasier host and how many were total trainwrecks?

yes

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

frasier is the consummate host

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Christmas party where Daphne realized she had feelings for Niles ended up going pretty well in the end.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Ride The Gravitron posted:

If you're gonna party why not go all the way? It would have made an interesting episode.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Him not loving the trans hooker is outrageously transphobic

I can’t watch this show because of its antiquated 90s values

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Him not loving the trans hooker is outrageously transphobic

I agree. I was obivously extremely triggered. All cocks are equal.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Ride The Gravitron posted:

Didn't that not actually happen? It was all him imagining the worst possible outcome, right? I remember being a bit confused at the transition back to reality, though.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cool new Polack jokes posted:

Literally not what I said, but have fun, I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

"Oh that's alright Crystal, these things happen."

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Didn't that not actually happen? It was all him imagining the worst possible outcome, right? I remember being a bit confused at the transition back to reality, though.

I'll have to rewatch but I'm pretty sure it happened. He ever had to explain to Freddy about what he was gonna read in the newspaper. Only time I remember it all being a dream was the crazy fever episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That was when Frasier dreamed sitting down in his studio with Niles grinning at him through the window, and then his chair exploded.

Niles seemed to fill in for Frasier a few times during the show, I recall, and it wasn't a big deal after the first time.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Frasier didn't actually pick up the prostitute, it was his mental battle of "should I do an act of kindness for this random stranger" playing out on screen. Afterward he ends up deciding to pick her up and she's not a prostitute after all.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Niles seemed to fill in for Frasier a few times during the show, I recall, and it wasn't a big deal after the first time.
AKA when Grammer got hammered

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Cheers was better

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Niles used to crawl under a piano when anxious. Thought of GBS.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
In season 8 episode 9 you get a good example of what comedy shows never ever do, no forced sentimentality or long speeches just long painful introspection.
During one of the scenes it's clear that the audience don't even know what to do with this. A few even laugh at the wrong time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is it just me or is the lakeside house Niles got in the divorce a variant of the same set as the ski lodge with all the romantic shenanigans?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

ditty bout my clitty posted:

In season 8 episode 9 you get a good example of what comedy shows never ever do, no forced sentimentality or long speeches just long painful introspection.
During one of the scenes it's clear that the audience don't even know what to do with this. A few even laugh at the wrong time.

I rather liked that episode; any of the ones with Rene Auberjonois are good. The cringiest one to me is "Room Full of Heroes"...The setup is kinda forced and the Crane men each going off on each other at various points gets reeeeally uncomfortable. It is redeemed a bit with the neighbor kids and the "Old Man Crane" running gag.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

JUST watched the episode with sexy rear end Teri Hatcher

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
I like the one where Frasier bangs his thicc weird voiced agent

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Inescapable Duck posted:

Is it just me or is the lakeside house Niles got in the divorce a variant of the same set as the ski lodge with all the romantic shenanigans?

It probably is. I'd recommend you to not pay attention to these things because you'll start to notice that all TV shows reuse sets a lot and it's maddening and immersion breaking as hell.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

It probably is. I'd recommend you to not pay attention to these things because you'll start to notice that all TV shows reuse sets a lot and it's maddening and immersion breaking as hell.

Frasier in particular feels very stageplay-like in terms of the number of people and the very few amount of sets. It's basically always in Frasier's apartment, his work, or Cafe Nervosa.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The earliest TV shows basically were stageplays except performed for cameras instead of an audience. Action and drama shows became more movie-like in terms of production fairly early on but sitcoms stayed generally stagey well into the 1990s.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 6, 2017

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Police Automaton posted:

90% of sitcoms in the 80s and 90s had sets where there were stairs in both the kitchen and living room which were themselves typically separated by a door

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The superior sitcom format

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Riptor posted:

90% of sitcoms in the 80s and 90s had sets where there were stairs in both the kitchen and living room which were themselves typically separated by a door

Best example of this is Grounded For Life, though that was 2000's.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Best example of this is Grounded For Life, though that was 2000's.

Well then it's not the best example then is it

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Inescapable Duck posted:

It's the same house that Lana is trying to sell in s8e23 for sure. I don't think it's the ski lodge one, but that set is definitely reused a few times as different places.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Riptor posted:

Well then it's not the best example then is it

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

oldpainless posted:

JUST watched the episode with sexy rear end Teri Hatcher

Unfortunately this episode also features Kelsey Grammer acting sexy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Wait Frazier’s whole character spawns from a massive ethics violation, dating one of of his own clients and becoming friends with all her friends?

Jeeeeeeeeze

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Scrambled ethics all over my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
im rewatching the show, its funny. stupid too. i wish they made sitcoms like this. frasier getting laid is super unrealistics, the dudes a loving creep.