Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Looking for a soup recipe that is ridiculously cheap and hasn't got too much carbs. Preferably spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

serious norman posted:

Looking for a soup recipe that is ridiculously cheap and hasn't got too much carbs. Preferably spicy.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7416-kale-soup-with-potatoes-and-sausage

More of a general concept than a specific recipe. One sausage will go a long way if you want it to.

e. or Daal

CommonShore posted:

When I make dal at home I just kinda slap stuff in. Usually it'll look something like this, which is totally off the top of my head and not at all planned:
1.5 cup red lentil
0.5 cup brown lentil (for texture)
sufficient water/stock to cover (add more as it cooks to get the texture you want).
1 diced onion
1 chopped tomato
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp whole mustard seed
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp fenugreek
zest and juice of one lemon
1/2 cup coriander leaves
salt to taste.

I'm pretty sure that last time I made dal I also threw in a bunch of spinach, just to use it up. I've also been served dal with yam in it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's some good poo poo that I can make in bulk and freezes well? My dinners have been nothing but pasta, pulled pork, and beef and I'm really getting sick of all those.

It's a beef recipe, but this classic Hungarian goulash recipe was hard to keep frozen for emergencies because it was so good I really looked forward to eating it.

Edit: Scouse is a bit more bland, but follows the traditional formula for a hearty beef (or lamb) stew. I like its history as a working man's dish.

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2017

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

serious norman posted:

Joe Grey. A fantastic one pot dish you can modify to your own tastes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_sB4qUvzk

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

If you can get a stupidly cheap Big Hunk Of Meat, do it.

Boil it with aromatics to get broth out of it, make soup out of that + lesser hunks of meat.

Slice it thin. Sandwiches for days.

Cube it, mix it and veggies with leftover mashed potatoes, throw in an egg and flour and fry that poo poo. Enjoy your new croquettes.

I managed to get 10 pounds of bone-in pork shoulder for 12 dollars last week and corned beef for about the same price/pound ratio this week. Money well spent.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need to eat more vegetables. What're everyone's favorite staple vegetable dishes that are easy to make, but you still don't get tired of them? Soups and stews are good, too, though I've completely failed to make broccoli soup in the past.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Easiest way to get really nice vegetarian dishes into your diet is to learn the basics of Indian cooking.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Lord Bude posted:

Easiest way to get really nice vegetarian dishes into your diet is to learn the basics of Indian cooking.

If I ever for some reason go vegetarian my diet will be upwards of 50% Indian. I'm perfectly happy eating Indian dishes all day.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My stint with Indian cooking pretty much boils down to my attempt at chicken korma and little to no veg besides a really lovely cabbage bhaji. I should investigate this more...

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Vegrecipesofindia.com is a great resource. Sweet potato and chickpea curry is also easy to bash together. The main thing about Indian cooking is that you need to gather your spices, but once you have a bunch of them on hand you can whip up a whole host of dishes that are cheap and pretty easy. You can also make base gravy and freeze it so that you can make things up more quickly by adding a couple of different spices on top.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like saag paneer a whole lot, and I've had saag with chicken thigh before and that was real tasty. All the saag curry recipes I've seen are fairly involved, though, including food processing the spinach before cooking... :( I don't have a blender.

I don't know much about other veg dishes, though. I should look into cabbage, cauliflower, sweet potato, chickpea and lentil dishes...

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Roasted anything is a good veggie dish but my favorite by far is brussel sprouts. Cut off the stem, slice into halves, toss in olive oil/salt/pepper and then roast them cut side down at 300 for I think 30 minutes? I always kind of guess on the time. They reheat pretty well too.

My super low effort favorite veggie dish is salted and microwaved frozen mixed veggies (corn, peas, green beans, carrots).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Bollock Monkey posted:

Vegrecipesofindia.com is a great resource. Sweet potato and chickpea curry is also easy to bash together. The main thing about Indian cooking is that you need to gather your spices, but once you have a bunch of them on hand you can whip up a whole host of dishes that are cheap and pretty easy. You can also make base gravy and freeze it so that you can make things up more quickly by adding a couple of different spices on top.

That's a great website.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I like saag paneer a whole lot, and I've had saag with chicken thigh before and that was real tasty. All the saag curry recipes I've seen are fairly involved, though, including food processing the spinach before cooking... :( I don't have a blender.

I don't know much about other veg dishes, though. I should look into cabbage, cauliflower, sweet potato, chickpea and lentil dishes...

Saag can be very complicated, or it can be super simple, depending on how you want to do it.

Simple version: precook whatever you want to put in the saag. Paneer, chicken, potatoes, chickpeas, lentils, whatever. Cook it to basically done; you're just going to be warming it in the sauce later.

Bloom your spices in some oil. I just do a big sprinkle of cumin, a cardamom pod or two, and a spoonful of tumeric. Adapt to whatever spices you have handy.

Toss in a well chopped onion. Toss in a chopped chili pepper if you want. Cook until very soft. Stir in some garlic and ginger, either finely minced, mashed into paste, or (what I do) just run through a microplane.

Toss in a bag of frozen spinach. Or frozen kale. Or any good frozen green you want. Or not frozen, fresh is fine too. Cook until tender.

OPTIONAL: Blend it up. You can use a food processor, or a blender, or even a stick blender. You can also just not. It'll be fine. Put it back in the pan.

Stir in the whatever you cooked at the beginning, maybe with a splash of water if you want it saucier. If you've got garam masala, now's the time to add it. Maybe stir in some plain yogurt, or some cream. Stir it all together until everything's nice and hot.

Serve with rice.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Edit: Scouse is a bit more bland, but follows the traditional formula for a hearty beef (or lamb) stew. I like its history as a working man's dish.

What is the ingredient "bitter" in this recipe?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

10 Beers posted:

Only thing I can think of is a bitter liquor like Angostura, but 500 ml is a lot!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Beer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_(beer)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Even more shocking is your username, 10 Beers. :v:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

10 Beers posted:

It's ale. I spent too much time looking into this since I'm American and traditional English bitter is tricky to come by. I think I decided any amber or brown ale that wasn't too hoppy would do. Yuengling would be a cost-effective substitute.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

silvergoose posted:

Even more shocking is your username, 10 Beers. :v:

I immediately went to Angostura bitters!

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Well its that time of year again and even though I've finally gotten a job that pays well I still cook like a poor person- and more importantly got a turkey super loving cheap from the grocery store as part of their thanksgiving incentives. So while the turkey is slowly defrosting in my fridge, any thoughts on recipes? There's this one https://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/11/turkey-stuffing-casserole/ that I think I'll use for the wings/drumsticks, and I guess the breasts are usable for anything chicken, but anyone have turkey specific recipes?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really need to start prepping meals to toss together rather than giving up and ordering out. If I choppped / shredded the vegetables and put the sauce together on Sunday and then cooked the rest of the recipe around Wednesday, would the vegetables still be okay by then? I'm trying to do a meal plan (not that it's worked before) and I'm planning on doing a pot roast on Sunday that should last a few days. Then hopefully a double batch (so whole head of lettuce, whole pound of beef) of this with some rice should do another couple days.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/08/beef-cabbage-stir-fry/

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Vegetables will usually dry out a bit if you shred them that early, but you might not mind, if you're not picky. I don't know why you mention lettuce, because there's no lettuce in the recipe, but lettuce is one of the vegetables I wouldn't do this to, because it's fragile enough that it'll be in pretty bad shape by Wednesday.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sorry, I meant cabbage.

I figure I’ll be wilting them and putting them in sauce and beef fat, hopefully that will counteract the drying. Or depending on how long the pot roast takes to disappear I could cook it Tuesday and have a couple options for the next two days, only having to cook fresh rice.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

I need to eat more vegetables. What're everyone's favorite staple vegetable dishes that are easy to make, but you still don't get tired of them? Soups and stews are good, too, though I've completely failed to make broccoli soup in the past.

Colcanon is high on my list.

It's essentially mashed potatoes with green onions and kale or cabbage. Works as a side with almost anything, and if you use whole milk and real butter it's a complete meal on it's own.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pollyanna posted:

Roasted carrots is one of my favorite sides. You can follow this recipe's general idea (covering the pan with foil helps them cook through; uncovering it at the end helps them crisp and char). It works well with just about any dried seasoning. Dill or cumin are two of my favorites to use. I usually make a single serving at a time for myself, chopping up three or four carrots and roasting them in the toaster oven. It's great too, because carrots are cheap as gently caress and last a long time in the fridge.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I'm really only in this thread because I need inspiration myself* But for veg I have Indian standbys: saag aloo (spinach and potato curry), dum aloo (pea and potato curry) and a curry I make with chickpeas, cauliflower and butternut squash/pumpkin.
Non indian wise if you have a grill I'm always happy to grill capsicum, zuchinni and serve it with cous cous with some chickpeas and a greek yogurt sauce with lemon or lime and parsley, cumin or coriander. Similar to that always happy to bake beets, butternut squash, garlic and onion. If you don't have or like cous cous, then lentils with a vinaigrette and greens, or a brown rice pilaf go OK with either. E: Plus fetta cheese if feeling rich.

If you have a pressure cooker then simple risottos are good. Use mushroom and spinach or kale and butternut squash. If you don't have a pressure cooker then it still works, just takes more effort I guess with stove top stirring, but it's worth it for varieties sake.
Also stir fry with rice or noodles. Capsicum, broccoli or snow peas, cabbage or celery, carrot, mushrooms or nuts with soy, oyster, shoaxing wine or vinegar, sesame seeds etc.
Also pasta. Do a primavera (without sauce or cream, do it proper aglio e olio based style). Olive oil and garlic base, with some 'stirfried' carrot, capsicum, broccoli and beans/snow peas/peas and parmesan cheese

*Forgot what I was here for. I think it was probably how to dumb down bean recipes.
I usually buy dried and all the recipes I have are long cook with soaked dried beans and lots of veg. I just bought heaps of canned beans as they were half price which makes it cheaper than dried, plus since moving out alone I haven't bothered with much fresh veg either - no where to keep them in a shared fridge, I don't eat enough of them to bother buying them if they go off in a day... So none of the recipes I have are relevant and I don't have peppers or veg yet and can't be bothered vetting dumb internet recipes so I don't know what to do I guess

I did start a new potted garden though. Thyme, rosemary, parsley, coriander, chives, basil, rocket(arugula), silverbeet and chinese red long noodle beans. Plus 12 varieties of chillies - I just chucked a sample of a bunch of 4 yr old seeds from back when I was a berserker chilli grower collecting seeds from all over the world

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 3, 2017

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Hey, any quiche ideas? My grocery store overordered(apparently) and I have tons of eggs and milk, due to sales. other baking ideas welcome.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Bacon and grilled/fried jalapeno quiche is pretty good stuff. I like the bacon super crispy then crushed, and fry up sliced jalapenos and/or onions with a bit of the bacon grease. Not the healthiest but pretty cheap and very tasty.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

I love Chana Masala as a veg dish, it's healthy and fairly easy to make. As mentioned once you own the spices - garam masala, tumeric, cumin seeds, coriander, and cayenne - it's very affordable.

I use butter and a splash of olive oil in place of ghee, greek yogurt instead of normal yogurt, served over brown rice and it turns out great.

https://www.leannebrown.com/chana-masala/

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 2, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Back on food stamps while job hunting so have about $150 budget/month for food for myself. Trying to put together a list of recipes to I can have a bit of variety but with enough overlap that I can buy things like rice/beans/etc in bulk. No real dietary restrictions beyond that I hate olives and don't have tolerance for anything really spicy.

Any sites with budget recipes particularly good for compiling multiple recipes to make a shopping list?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I am also curious about sites that will compile a shopping list for you, but I came with another question.

I recently stopped eating pork, but I want to finally try making a good yet cheap red beans and rice. I probably have the spices, I have the rice and beans, but I don’t know what meat to use in place of the ham hock / bacon / andouille sausage.

I also want to make like a gallon of it preferably.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I am also curious about sites that will compile a shopping list for you, but I came with another question.

I recently stopped eating pork, but I want to finally try making a good yet cheap red beans and rice. I probably have the spices, I have the rice and beans, but I don’t know what meat to use in place of the ham hock / bacon / andouille sausage.

I also want to make like a gallon of it preferably.

Smoked turkey leg?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
I've seen "cajun" style chicken sausage in stores. dunno if it's smoked but you could maybe use smoked paprika to stand in for it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
There is is (beef based) halal bacon. It is generally harder then normal bacon, but tastes great. The price is very variable depending on where you shop. You can also generally find good beef sausage

I also recently made some rice and chickpeas with some lamb, when it was on sale. Dark chicken meat is also the most popular option for rice and legumes in most of Africa.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Zerilan posted:

Back on food stamps while job hunting so have about $150 budget/month for food for myself. Trying to put together a list of recipes to I can have a bit of variety but with enough overlap that I can buy things like rice/beans/etc in bulk. No real dietary restrictions beyond that I hate olives and don't have tolerance for anything really spicy.

Any sites with budget recipes particularly good for compiling multiple recipes to make a shopping list?

I don't know about shopping lists, but my wife and I did a big 4lb batch of the garlic and onion chicken from here in the slow cooker. We used boneless skinless chicken thighs and it made a great base for a bunch of chicken dishes for the next two weeks. Total cost was just the chicken, so like $6-7, and we bagged the result into half lb baggies and froze them. We took one bag and made chicken fajitas for dinner, and I used the leftover tortillas to make a bunch of frozen chicken and rice burritos for lunches. We're gonna use another bag or so for bbq chicken pizza next week, as well as some chicken and pasta dishes when we get to that point.

Other than that, I can recommend https://www.budgetbytes.com as a good starting site for cheap, easy, easily modded recipes. There's even some week long meal prep blog posts there that can give you a good starting point.

Mostly though, it's gonna be about knowing all your options and local grocery stores. You need to go window shopping and collect ads and write down prices. We've got 3 grocery stores within a block of each other here, and an ethnic store or two, a local butcher, and a walmart all within 5 minutes of each other a 10 minute drive away. When we go shopping, we typically end up buying meats at one place, veggies at another, ethnic ingredients from the ethnic stores, toiletries and non-perishables from walmart, and then whatever random stuff we need at the place that has it the cheapest. My wife and I spend about $160-$200/month for the two of us and a dog, so as long as you're willing to put in the research and drive a bit, then it shouldn't be too difficult for you to stick under $150/month, as long as you're smart about what you buy and always go for the unit price instead of falling for "deals".

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zerilan posted:

http://lbveg.com/freebook.php

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Re: shredded veggies, I personally have experience with cabbage and bell pepper stored in plastic containers then refrigerated and I've never seen them drying out too much. They yellow a bit after a week or two, but I've never minded it too much since I'm throwing them in stir fries or soupy noodles anyway and not in salads. And no, they don't give me the runs if I eat them after two weeks.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Doc Walrus got laid off! I've got some savings so I'm not in a dire situation, but I'd like to spend as little as possible until I'm employed again. I'm putting together a shopping list, and I'm structuring everything around Flour Tortillas.

QUEST: What all can I do with Flour Tortillas? I know I can make ground beef and chicken tacos, of course. I found a recipe for a tortilla version of eggs-in-a-basket, where you cut a hole in the middle of a tortilla, so I'd like to try that. Is there a good recipe for canned tuna fish tacos out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Doc Walrus posted:

Doc Walrus got laid off! I've got some savings so I'm not in a dire situation, but I'd like to spend as little as possible until I'm employed again. I'm putting together a shopping list, and I'm structuring everything around Flour Tortillas.

QUEST: What all can I do with Flour Tortillas? I know I can make ground beef and chicken tacos, of course. I found a recipe for a tortilla version of eggs-in-a-basket, where you cut a hole in the middle of a tortilla, so I'd like to try that. Is there a good recipe for canned tuna fish tacos out there?

Dont forget beans and rice veggie burritos. And breakfast burritos.