Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

joem83 posted:

I've always wanted to try the vinegar soaked squid. They don't sell it at my local Japanese super market though.

That's the dried squid type, different from the vinegar squid. Gives your jaw a workout, tastes like...dried squid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
So, my dog has gotten into the habit of whining and waggin her tail everytime she hears me start an episode of gccx. Especially during the 1:15 mark on most episodes... Dunno what's up with that :P

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge is Gekisha Boi. It looks...interesting.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
oh man photograph boy rules

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

This is going to be a fun choice for a challenge. Mainly due to there not being a whole lot of "challenge" to the game, but tons of weird things going on for Arino to react to. I'm going to guess, finished in four hours so Arino can go to another appearance he had booked.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jakespeare posted:

So, my dog has gotten into the habit of whining and waggin her tail everytime she hears me start an episode of gccx. Especially during the 1:15 mark on most episodes... Dunno what's up with that :P

She's reading the joy in your body language.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Kakaricho posted:

That's a really fun game, and like RS said, a lot of crazy stuff goes on for Arino to comment on. Probably on the short side, but I guess Arino will get stuck on the first stage (I know I did)

Seems like they've added some more PC Engine games recently? When are they gonna play Rondo of Blood?

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

It is still not too bad a game challenge, it is just part of such a great episode that it comes off a bit muted.
Yeah, I am going to agree with this! Although I love the main challenges (obviously) I always look forward to the tamages. This episode was really fun - thanks a lot for the hard work, team! :)

Jakespeare posted:

Huh, I can't check that timestamp right now but my dog would freak out at some random point during the Ode to Joy version, so I pretty much just skip it nowadays. I thought she was just being weird - she also whined a bit during random segments of that Mind of a Chef show, too. Odd...

A Haunted Pug fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 9, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

TeaJay posted:

Seems like they've added some more PC Engine games recently? When are they gonna play Rondo of Blood?

Konami gives permission to use their games so rarely, you might be waiting a while.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

They released a PC Engine DVD set, and it's the system's 30th anniversary.

And likely after it gets it's fifth pachinko adaptation.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Is this just wishful thinking but are they playing music from Death Note whenever Watari is on screen? I just watched the 4k episode and I hope this is true lol

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

Is this just wishful thinking but are they playing music from Death Note whenever Watari is on screen? I just watched the 4k episode and I hope this is true lol

I don't know the music from Death Note so I can't say anything there, but low budget shows in Japan get a library license to music rather than licensing individual pieces and consequentially, they often pull from other television and movie scores. So it's entirely possible.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Another detail of the Arino vs.Bakarhythm showdown was revealed: loser makes an unpaid appearance on the winner's show.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know the music from Death Note so I can't say anything there, but low budget shows in Japan get a library license to music rather than licensing individual pieces and consequentially, they often pull from other television and movie scores. So it's entirely possible.

Good to know. It would just be so perfect if they actually were though, Watari was the name of someone on that show.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Kakaricho posted:

AW MAN I remember first seeing this game when the Freelance Astronauts showed it off on the TG16 emulator. Even went and played it myself, it's definitely a real fun game that's also very of...the time period and pretty whack. Hope to see it soon on the SA-GCCX site!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

11/14 is Watanabe's birthday.

https://twitter.com/YUTTY163

Jakespeare
May 10, 2013
Groovy. I'll celebrate Watanabe's birthday by watching the gccx episodes that show Arino teasing her.. sturdiness :3

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

To celebrate the 250th episode, Arino will challenge Dragon Warrior on the NES. 251 will be the second half of it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kakaricho posted:

To celebrate the 250th episode, Arino will challenge Dragon Warrior on the NES. 251 will be the second half of it.

Finally we'll know if Arino is a "take the princess back the the castle immediately" guy or a "carry her with you into the final battle" guy.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

How do you make that entertaining?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I want Arino's character to get put to sleep by a Golem and then fail to wake up as it lays into him and kills him before he even gets a chance to enter a command.

...not that I'm speaking from personal experience

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Was it DW1 or DW2 that ended with the the annoyingly huge poison swamp before the dark maze-like dungeon, filled with enemies that could cast an unavoidable insta-kill spell on your whole party, with no save points except before the swamp?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

How do you make that entertaining?

Calling it now, someone will either grind for him or give him a password taking him to a higher experience level (fun fact: Dragon Quest on Famicom used passwords and not a battery, as did the 2nd game).

Or they'll use realtime speedrun strats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZCwVHJlG8

Jamesman posted:

Was it DW1 or DW2 that ended with the the annoyingly huge poison swamp before the dark maze-like dungeon, filled with enemies that could cast an unavoidable insta-kill spell on your whole party, with no save points except before the swamp?

Probably 2. 1 only had one location in the entire game where you were able to save.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Jamesman posted:

DW2, because 1 didn't have a party; just one character.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

univbee posted:

(fun fact: Dragon Quest on Famicom used passwords resurrection spells and not a battery, as did the 2nd game).

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Isn't Dragon Warrior about 99% of grinding? Can't see that being very entertaining.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yes. If you remove the grinding and know where to go, Dragon Warrior is a short as gently caress game. There are only like 2 proper dungeons in the game and everything else is just a question of getting rich enough to buy gear and hopefully be high enough level to not get wrecked.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Alxprit posted:

DW2, because 1 didn't have a party; just one character.

OK now I remember, thanks. DW1 still had its share of bullshit, especially with only have one character, but 2 was such bullshit I swore off the series after that.

(Until I bought DQ8 and it was SO GOOD despite them still doing those insta-game over spells.)

univbee posted:

Yes. If you remove the grinding and know where to go, Dragon Warrior is a short as gently caress game. There are only like 2 proper dungeons in the game and everything else is just a question of getting rich enough to buy gear and hopefully be high enough level to not get wrecked.

Part 1 will be him struggling over and over and barely knowing where to go. Between parts 1 and 2, the AP will spend all night grinding metal slimes.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
GCCX has survived two video format changes (480 to 1080 and now to 4k), led to three Nintendo games, and produced nearly 250 episodes. Still, I'm not gonna be satisfied until Arino finally beats Happy Clown.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

univbee posted:

Yes. If you remove the grinding and know where to go, Dragon Warrior is a short as gently caress game.

17 min 47 sec to be exact

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZCwVHJlG8

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

Since it's a special occasion, and since there's a precedent, maybe Yuji Horii will come back for a visit!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm not gonna be satisfied until Arino finally beats Happy Clown.

That can't be done. I decided to go the distance once, and about 2000 yen later, I think that arcade has me on a board of "insane customers, do not approach".

Arino does a speed run. "The limiter is off! Oh God, what have we unleashed!?"

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 16, 2017

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

According to speedrun.com's leaderboards, the current record without manipulation is 5 hours, 15 minutes. Trying to replicate the TAS gets down to a very respectable 25 minutes, 21 seconds.

With that in mind, Arino is totally going to get lost in the tablet cave for an hour.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I feel like I've seen Arino say a couple times that's he's a fan of the Dragon Quest games

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I'm pretty sure Japanese citizens are all considered Dragon Quest fans at birth.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SkeletonHero posted:

I'm pretty sure Japanese citizens are all considered Dragon Quest fans at birth.

Yeah, it's impossible to overstate how massive Dragon Quest is in Japan and more or less always has been. Hell, the very first Nintendo Power issue (1988) has a picture/mini-article of Japanese queues circling the block to get a copy of Dragon Quest III.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

univbee posted:

Yeah, it's impossible to overstate how massive Dragon Quest is in Japan and more or less always has been. Hell, the very first Nintendo Power issue (1988) has a picture/mini-article of Japanese queues circling the block to get a copy of Dragon Quest III.

There's a side quest in Yakuza 0 that's basically about the Dragon Quest craze (it takes place in 1988 too)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's so good.

(As well as the dq11 commercial)

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

You can beat the game without rescuing the princess!? That's so messed up.

Well, now that I think about it, you only needed her to help pinpoint the thingy in the middle of the poison marsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kakaricho posted:

Arino does a speed run. "The limiter is off! Oh God, what have we unleashed!?"

I'd totally go for a side segment where they show Arino speedruns of games he's previously challenged and record his reactions.