Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
I think that you get a few per PS4 and then it stops? Worth a shot in any case. I only have Plus for cloud saving on my Vita so it’s nice to have something I’ll play for once in Yukimura-den (albeit briefly).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

uiruki posted:

For what it’s worth, both Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi and Sanada Yukimura-den are free on Japanese PS Plus this month.

gently caress!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I got a bunch of PSN money out of nowhere as a gift and thought it might be worth getting back into ROTK13 with the Fame and Strategy Expansion Pack but good lord! It's $47 here and the base game was only $60!

Can someone who's actually played F&S give me a real rundown on how it improves ROTK13 and if it's worth paying over half of what the base game costs just to play? I wasn't a huge fan of 13 but I'm willing to give it another try, but I'm balking hard at this price tag.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Policenaut posted:

I got a bunch of PSN money out of nowhere as a gift and thought it might be worth getting back into ROTK13 with the Fame and Strategy Expansion Pack but good lord! It's $47 here and the base game was only $60!

Can someone who's actually played F&S give me a real rundown on how it improves ROTK13 and if it's worth paying over half of what the base game costs just to play? I wasn't a huge fan of 13 but I'm willing to give it another try, but I'm balking hard at this price tag.

the expansion pack adds a couple of things, most notably the prestige system, adding a bunch to the comrade system, along with smaller things like letters and adding a tiny amount of depth to duels/debates. Prestiges are basically titles that have specific requirements, like win so many duels, have a high enough fame, and have enough troops, and you can become a bandit or a warrior or whatever. This gives characters something to work towards at all times, and finally give players a (admittedly shallow) reason to stay independent, as you could be a merchant or a bandit or whatever. These aren't amazing, but they're a solid improvement over the base game. Comrades are kinda related to friendship, but when you've made a friend who's in the same realm as you, and at a lower rank, you can make them a comrade, which guarantees that they'll stay with you wherever you go, which is nice if you've been stuck as a governor out in the middle of nowhere with one garbage subordinate before. The real problem is that while the expansion is certainly the better way to play, paying an additional 50 bucks or whatever it's going for atm for probably should have been the base game is really rough.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
We have a release date for DW9.

http://nichegamer.com/2017/11/16/dynasty-warriors-9-western-launch-set-february-13-2018/

February 13th 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh! Even PC version releases on the same date. Neat.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
No more harp? No more playing card slaps?

Boo hiss.

(I think that's 3 whip users now?)

lurksion fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 16, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

They have developed a brand new combat system for the game so the reduction in the amount of weapon types is understandable.

If the combat ends up being improved in DW9 then I'd say it's an acceptable sacrifice.
On the other hand if the combat ends up being garbage then we've got a DW6 situation here.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
We already have a DW6 situation here. Plenty of people could have tolerated the gameplay were it not for the disgusting amounts of duplicate movesets.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
DW6 wasn't all bad. I didn't even mind the Renbu system.

The most powerful i've ever felt in a Dynasty Warriors game was with a decently-levelled bow user in DW6, in fact. That poo poo was ridiculous.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jack Trades posted:

They have developed a brand new combat system for the game so the reduction in the amount of weapon types is understandable.

If the combat ends up being improved in DW9 then I'd say it's an acceptable sacrifice.
On the other hand if the combat ends up being garbage then we've got a DW6 situation here.

What's their excuse from taking away the hats from people

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Concurrent PC release is nice at least.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Tae posted:

What's their excuse from taking away the hats from people

sold them all to valve

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

attn dragon's dogma likers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmw7HO88LDI

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
There wasn't any Dragon's Dogma in that video! I thought there'd be a sequel secret or something.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

PureRok posted:

There wasn't any Dragon's Dogma in that video! I thought there'd be a sequel secret or something.

I think they were referring to the fact that B'z also did the original theme for dragon's dogma (Flying into free).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Nice to see DW getting back to its butt rock roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQjFxtUOok4

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

When did it ever leave

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tae posted:

When did it ever leave

True.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love the DW buttrock songs that still make you feel like you're part of something epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGkJ4xOAz2M

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Takoluka posted:

I love the DW buttrock songs that still make you feel like you're part of something epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGkJ4xOAz2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XHbvXCNSpE

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

This reminds me that Orochi 3 was really good at setting the mood with songs like the opening stage with the Hydra, where you're pretty much hosed, and the battle with Orochi X, which is just overwhelming as a tune.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FE Warriors had a lot of good remixes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G9_E1NGxdw

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

my fave fe warriors track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3N01lm6P8

#1 in my heart

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tae posted:

This does really sound straight out of a mainline DW game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I bought Spirit of Sanada on the cheap and would like to echo that it is fun except for the 20 minutes of running around town like a loving chump in between every other mission. No, I do not want to talk to children, Chacha, or another damned ninja.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
With the Autumn Steam Sale in full swing RotK 13 is now 60% off the base game, which is the biggest discount I've seen for it. Is it worth it at that price if I liked Sphere of Influence, or does it require the power-up kit to be fun?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

I'm not sure 13 is worth paying 30 bucks for without the power up kit.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
The Power-Up kit does provide a significant improvement over the base release in terms of RPG opportunities, but I don't think it is strictly necessary in order to enjoy the game, unless you're coming from ROTK X and nothing less than that will do. If you're comparing XIII to Sphere of Influence, the gap in quality isn't huge, IMHO.

Also, considering that K-T rarely goes for crazy discounts...you could always get both and see it as buying a full game plus its expansion for $52 USD (possibly much less than that in some areas, due to regional pricing).

wielder fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 23, 2017

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

wielder posted:

The Power-Up kit does provide a significant improvement over the base release in terms of RPG opportunities, but I don't think it is strictly necessary in order to enjoy the game, unless you're coming from ROTK X and nothing less than that will do. If you're comparing XIII to Sphere of Influence, the gap in quality isn't huge, IMHO.

Also, considering that K-T rarely goes for crazy discounts...you could always get both and see it as buying a full game plus its expansion for $52 USD (possibly much less than that in some areas, due to regional pricing).

I've played a bit of ROTK 10 (the PS2 version), but I don't think I really have a handle on it. I started two games (one with Wang Yun, another with Zhang Liao, both around the time of the Yellow Turban Rebellion), but I wasn't sure what to do after a point. I just took assignments from the palace, filled them out, then turned them in. I was expecting to get into a battle after a while, but either I didn't wait long enough or I didn't have things set up where the rulers would permit it.
That being said, I did like the setup of the Officer system, so that's what makes me want to get the PUK for ROTK 13.

At the same time, $50 is still a lot, and my brief experience with ROTK 10 makes me think I won't have any better luck with 13. The only reason why I'd buy it now is like you said: Koei-Tecmo very rarely puts their stuff on sale, so it's a matter of grabbing it in the brief time it has a price cut. However, I think I'm going to pass on it for now, and wait until I have a better grasp on ROTK10 (I might check out a play-through on YouTube to see what you're supposed to do.)

Is there any other Koei-Tecmo stuff on sale that's worth checking out?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So I finally got DW8 to click after trying for ages now (the trick for me was playing Lu Bu's campaign first so everyone had good weapons starting out) but as I was playing it I got to thinking: how on Earth is DW9 going to handle its campaign? Has KT explained that yet? Because you've got the open world thing right, and the passage of time. Do you pick a force as usual? When they canonically die do you have to pick a new one? Can I just START with Sima Zhao at Yellow Turban Rebellion even though he might not have even existed by that point? I've never considered this until now.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

as far as I'm aware. story mode has 10 chapters, and is vaguely character driven in each one. So like, in chapter one you can play as people who were alive and fighting during whatever time period that chapter covers. Then, depending on who you are and how you do in battles, things will allegedly change.

Now, I'm not aware of us getting to see anything about the story mode yet, so this is all still just promises (that I may be misremembering tbh) and nothing concrete yet.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Policenaut posted:

So I finally got DW8 to click after trying for ages now (the trick for me was playing Lu Bu's campaign first so everyone had good weapons starting out) but as I was playing it I got to thinking: how on Earth is DW9 going to handle its campaign? Has KT explained that yet? Because you've got the open world thing right, and the passage of time. Do you pick a force as usual? When they canonically die do you have to pick a new one? Can I just START with Sima Zhao at Yellow Turban Rebellion even though he might not have even existed by that point? I've never considered this until now.

The RotTK games have you select a period of time before you pick a character, so it might be set up like that.Maybe there'll be some form of 'free mode,' where you can play characters in different time periods.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I bought SW4-II to tide me over until DW9 hits and realised I don't have enough disk space for it thanks to all the other poo poo I'm in the middle of playing right now. :negative:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So this is vaguely ROTK related but the F2P side-scrolling arcade ROTK-themed beat-em-up "Knights of Valour" surprisingly just got an overseas English release on the PSN for PS4. I remember wanting to try this pretty bad when it came out in China so this is pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSxxxUQdCfY

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The late-90s/early-00s side scroller brawlers were pretty cool.

The change-over to 3D did not do that art any favors.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's me; I'm the Fist Tyrant.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Policenaut posted:

So this is vaguely ROTK related but the F2P side-scrolling arcade ROTK-themed beat-em-up "Knights of Valour" surprisingly just got an overseas English release on the PSN for PS4. I remember wanting to try this pretty bad when it came out in China so this is pretty sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSxxxUQdCfY

Neat. It's free. Can't wait to pay $4.99 to not pursue Lu Bu!

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I hope that DW9 keeps the scroll as a weapon. It was goofy, cool, and kind of fitting to have a weapon that summoned different kinds of troops to fight while you just smugly posed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Knights of Valour trip report: Just beat the first "Stage" (4 levels in each Stage).

It's interesting. The basic gameplay is a 90's style beat-em-up, but they have a Diablo-like equipment and progression system, coupled with Chinese mobile F2P elements. Basic flow of the game is each Stage has levels you can fight through and explore, which have different rooms you can traverse to and kill the various enemies then pick up the loot and money they drop. There's only two characters available for free: Guan Yu and Diao Chan, but Zuo Ci is available for "Trial" and Sun Shang Xiang is unlockable if you log in 21 cumulative days. You unlock more either by paying in-game currency or straight up buying them on the PSN shop.

Progression is very much like a Diablo 3 deal. Your character levels up, gains Skill Points which can be put towards unlocking new attacks and various upgrades, and can collect new gear and materials from fighting and post-level rewards. Equipment has various rarity levels and you can refine them to be stronger or disassemble them for more materials. You can find Mercenaries to call into battle and you can collect consumable items to use on the field too. The basic gameplay is pretty fun, you have basic attacks, Stamina Attacks (similar to Musou moves), and a Fury Mode you can switch into that unlocks an "Esoteric" attack. The movement feels a little clunky, almost 8-way rather than smooth 360 directional, and the combo system is neat but very exact. If you have an attack that reads "press Down and Triangle" then you can't just be holding down then hit triangle a few seconds later, you have to exactly press down and triangle at the same time which is a bit of a pain in the rear end during longer combos.

It seems like a fun little game but there's a lot of F2P stuff going on. There's like 3 different currencies going on and I'm a little worried about the "Life" system going on which I haven't even reached yet. I'll give it some more time but it doesn't seem too bad so far.