Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm running High Sierra on a 2012 MBP 13" and it's smooth as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

red19fire posted:

To piggyback on High Sierra/old mac chat, I just upgraded to HS on a 2012 imac 27", and it sort of stutters when i swipe between desktops, and occasionally will freeze up for 10 seconds seemingly at random, like clicking on a link in chrome.

I could probably stand to get a new imac anyway, but is this more an indication of HS being barely-compatible, or the imac dying?

I'm running a 27" 2013 iMac w/ Fusion Drive and don't see much difference in performance from Sierra. I did bump my RAM up to 32gb from 16gb a while back (Around when El Capitan came out) and it made a huge difference.

e: does yours have an integrated or nvidia video chipset?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nvidia chip, and i also upgraded to 32gb :hf: it just can't be a coincidence that all these things started happening once i upgraded.

Just make it to Black Friday, buddy.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a way to have the brightness buttons also work on a second monitor connected to my rMBP?

I’ve never found a way to do this unless it’s an apple monitor. I guess other brands don’t recognize the brightness down command.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Last Chance posted:

No snapshots like you said. Parallels Tools stays out of the way when you're fully booted into Windows. You may have some Windows activation woes. My version of Windows 10 runs unlicensed when booted via Parallels in a macOS High Sierra host. It used to be activated, but at some point it considered itself a new machine. When fully booted, Windows 10 stays activated. :shrug:

I set it up and had the same experience as you. Tried the troubleshooting steps on the Parallels site to get both activated, but it didn't work.

Ended up deciding to nuke the partition and just run a regular VM. If I want to play any Windows games that don't run well enough in Parallels or have Mac ports, I still have my desktop PC for that. This way I also don't have to worry about how much disk space to allocate. Parallels will just feed itself in 2GB increments.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
what does everyone use for a video player on MacOS? I have VLC and mpv, but VLC's kinda trashy output quality-wise and mpv constantly drops frames even on default settings on a new MBP 15"

Alternate question is: how do I get mpv to not drop frames on a system that should be easily powerful enough . . .

e: gently caress, after hours of googling I finally found something that seems to fix it. "opengl-early-flush=no" evidently the bug is with videos near your display refresh rate. ah well. I'll give IINA a shot as well

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 17, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I’m using IINA at the moment. Seems okay.

https://lhc70000.github.io/iina/

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Holy biscuits.

This feels excessive...

edit: Also, good job Battle.net at taking up 2GB to just loving sit there. Super good.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah IINA is very nice. I'd like something that slick and unobtrusive on windows

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IINA is so drat good. you can easily open multiple instances of the player. game changer.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
IINA is great; the only downside is not being able to move the controls off the drat video. AFAICT your only options are overlaying the top, overlaying the bottom, or floating wherever in the window a la Quicktime Player. Why anyone would want anything to obscure the video area (even temporarily) is beyond me.

eames
May 9, 2009

Has any review site done battery/resource testing of Safari 11 vs Firefox 57?

I assume Safari is still more efficient due to in-house optimization and access to private APIs, but the new Firefox looks really nice and is subjectively just as fast.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Open both on the same sites and check the Energy Impact

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

eames posted:

Has any review site done battery/resource testing of Safari 11 vs Firefox 57?

I assume Safari is still more efficient due to in-house optimization and access to private APIs, but the new Firefox looks really nice and is subjectively just as fast.

I’ve been using Firefox 57 for several weeks - it’s definitely not nearly as power efficient as Safari 11.

That said, it loving flies so I use it most of the time anyway.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

PSA because I somehow missed out on this over the last few years:

Brought my Late 2013 Retina MBP in to Apple for an unrelated issue, good guy mac genius tells me the damage on my screen, that I thought was my own doing, was covered by a special warranty and that they could fix it in less than 24 hours by replacing my screen for free even though my MBP was out of warranty.

Basically if your screen looks like any of these, go to Apple for a free replacement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Staingate. I heard they extended the period they will service those

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/17/apple-extends-free-staingate-repairs/

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

xilni posted:

Basically if your screen looks like any of these, go to Apple for a free replacement.

Thanks for this tip, was just handed-down a 2012 model with some weird little marks like that, and a glitchy GPU.

It’s my DD right now so I would love some free repairs, currently have been ignoring the marks on the bottom of the screen and using a tool to disable the discrete card and keep it running cool.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

stirlo posted:

Thanks for this tip, was just handed-down a 2012 model with some weird little marks like that, and a glitchy GPU.

It’s my DD right now so I would love some free repairs, currently have been ignoring the marks on the bottom of the screen and using a tool to disable the discrete card and keep it running cool.

Unfortunately the 2012 is no longer covered.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
Related to that, I have a late 2013 that got a screen replacement before. There was an obvious line across the screen that matched up with the small ridge at the bottom of the keyboard. When I look again, that line is there again. Is that related to 'stain gate'? I ask because on that macrumors page someone says "Are you sure this issue doesn't affect new MBPs? Because some users on the forum said they had minor keyboard marks on the antireflective coating of their 2016 MBP." which makes me think of this as also the left command key seems to have a corresponding mark.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
We are in the middle of relocating so I have been staying in a hotel since I’ve already started my new job. I came home this weekend to pack and decided I probably needed to back up my laptop to our Time Capsule since it had been a while. I got an error message saying that to improve reliability it needed to create a new backup for me. Is there something that causes this to happen or was it because it had been about a month since I backed up last? Kind of annoying to lose years worth of backups.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rubiks Pubes posted:

We are in the middle of relocating so I have been staying in a hotel since I’ve already started my new job. I came home this weekend to pack and decided I probably needed to back up my laptop to our Time Capsule since it had been a while. I got an error message saying that to improve reliability it needed to create a new backup for me. Is there something that causes this to happen or was it because it had been about a month since I backed up last? Kind of annoying to lose years worth of backups.
In my experience, it’s just one of those things that happens. I chased for awhile when it first started happening to me, found absolutely no resolution, ended up just hitting Ok and ignoring it when it happens now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Has anyone experienced this issue while trying to connect a Logitech mouse via Bluetooth? I recorded a rapid sequence of "Connected/Disconnected" that I see every time I try to connect my m720 to my 2013 MBP running High Sierra:

https://imgur.com/JyHS591 (Sorry, apparently I can't embed MP4's uploaded to Imgur)

I did some googling around and it seems Logitech knows of the issue, but hasn't done anything lately to give the impression that such issues won't pop up on, say, a 2016/2017 MBP that has no USB port for the Unifying Receiver. It's making me hesitant to upgrade my hardware because I'm just not sure what other brands of bluetooth mice are worth purchasing. I guess I might have no choice but to go first-party with the Mighty Mouse...

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

IAmKale posted:

Has anyone experienced this issue while trying to connect a Logitech mouse via Bluetooth? I recorded a rapid sequence of "Connected/Disconnected" that I see every time I try to connect my m720 to my 2013 MBP running High Sierra:

https://imgur.com/JyHS591 (Sorry, apparently I can't embed MP4's uploaded to Imgur)

I did some googling around and it seems Logitech knows of the issue, but hasn't done anything lately to give the impression that such issues won't pop up on, say, a 2016/2017 MBP that has no USB port for the Unifying Receiver. It's making me hesitant to upgrade my hardware because I'm just not sure what other brands of bluetooth mice are worth purchasing. I guess I might have no choice but to go first-party with the Mighty Mouse...

I have had this issue with the Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Trackpad, the only solution I've found is a reboot. Forgetting/re-pairing doesn't do poo poo, so I assume it's an error in the BT stack on MacOS.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

I have had this issue with the Magic Trackpad 2 and Magic Trackpad, the only solution I've found is a reboot. Forgetting/re-pairing doesn't do poo poo, so I assume it's an error in the BT stack on MacOS.
Wow, this issue happens even with Apple hardware? Alright, so it's not Logitech's fault. I'll try a reboot and hope that that's enough to re-pair my mouse.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

IAmKale posted:

Wow, this issue happens even with Apple hardware? Alright, so it's not Logitech's fault. I'll try a reboot and hope that that's enough to re-pair my mouse.

Idk I always find my MX Master is dogshit over Bluetooth compared to the unity receiver. Lots of input lag and cursor skipping.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Theophany posted:

Idk I always find my MX Master is dogshit over Bluetooth compared to the unity receiver. Lots of input lag and cursor skipping.
I love the simplicity of the Unifying Receiver but come the gently caress on, Logitech, and announce a USB-C Receiver already. All of my attempts to switch to Bluetooth for my mouse are because there's no sign of a way forward with the new MBPs and Logitech mice without using Bluetooth.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but for now it seems we just have to roll with it. OS-level Bluetooth stack issues are not leaving a reassuring feeling, that's for sure.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Totally agree, but I guess the majority of their market is the PC where USB-C isn't being forced upon them as it is with the Mac market. Which loving sucks, but it's part of the reason I'm desperately clinging to my 4.1 Mac Pro because there's literally no decent upgrade path for desktop users.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Theophany posted:

My M510 is dogshit in macOS with the Unifying receiver.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My lovely $20 bt mouse is working perfectly. Are you sure it’s not a Logitech issue?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tuyop posted:

My lovely $20 bt mouse is working perfectly. Are you sure it’s not a Logitech issue?

I had the same issue with another Logitech mouse, so I’m almost certain it is. My solution is to not buy any more Logitech products.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

nVidia GeForce Now decided to change their keyboard handling so the button I pressed before for "+" no longer works :mad:

I guess that is why it is North America only :shrug:

Couldn't even report the bug in the last version either, at least I can do that now :smithcloud:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

It's weird. As for me, I definitely have issues with my Razer Orochi, but I finally found my old Magic Mouse and it works fine. (2016 15" rMBP)

Weedle posted:

I had the same issue with another Logitech mouse, so I’m almost certain it is. My solution is to not buy any more Logitech products.

Same but Razer (but I really like my old DeathAdder)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

IAmKale posted:

Sure you can: https://i.imgur.com/JyHS591.mp4

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Did you mean to link me to the video I posted...?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

He is showing you that you can embed mp4s on these ancient forums inline.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

He is showing you that you can embed mp4s on these ancient forums inline.
That's what I get for turning off image display in the Something Android app when I'm not on WiFi :suicide:

Edit: Thanks, Chris Knight, for pointing out that I just needed to wrap it in url bbcode!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
No prob. It could be easier but for imgur being huge morons.

eames
May 9, 2009

Is Veertu Desktop seems to be dead. https://veertu.com/veertu-desktop/ gives me a 404 and the site links to some sort of VM based dev build environment.

Time to buy a new VMware Fusion license? :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eames posted:

Is Veertu Desktop seems to be dead. https://veertu.com/veertu-desktop/ gives me a 404 and the site links to some sort of VM based dev build environment.

https://veertu.com/anka-technology/#hypervisor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

eames posted:

Time to buy a new VMware Fusion license? :(