Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

priznat posted:

Tempted to delid my 8700k now. Any downsides to running it with the lid and doing it later (setting the thermal compound more etc)? Other than having to take it apart and reapply HSF paste.

I don't think so, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

priznat posted:

Tempted to delid my 8700k now. Any downsides to running it with the lid and doing it later (setting the thermal compound more etc)? Other than having to take it apart and reapply HSF paste.

There's no downside. I'm running mine as normal while I research overclocking and decide whether to delid.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mewse posted:

There's no downside. I'm running mine as normal while I research overclocking and decide whether to delid.

Cool. Think I will do the same. Might hit you up for the delid tool since I’m also in :canada:

Right now all the parts for my 8700K build are being shipped separately and winging their way to me like some hosed up Voltron.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Xeon Phi is dead as a doornail. Intel is moving to a 38-core and then 44-core MCM design with 8-channel RAM and up to 32 GB of HBM2, designated "Cascade Lake".

quote:

Xeon Phi is dead, long live the Xeon-H

At least since a month ago, the contract change for the proposed Aurora supercomputer at the Argonne Laboratories was known, it was clear: Intel's Xeon Phi Knights Hill will not exist anymore . But Intel will not only cancel this processor, but with him the whole Xeon Phi line, including the already succeeding Knights Peak. The first alarm bells rang already last year, when the Xeon Phi chief architect Avinash Sodani Intel left for Cavium.

In the Aurora report, there was talk of a change to another architecture, with which one wants to achieve more than one Exaflops in 2021 and since then, one puzzles how it might look like. Behind closed doors, Intel revealed a few key facts at the SC17 conference. These did not remain secret in the Denver Convention Center for long.

As we know, in 2018 Intel will release the Skylake SP successor Cascade Lake in the improved 14nm ++ process as Xeon Scalable Performance (SP) . 2019/20 will then follow the Ice Lake Scalable Xeons (ISX-SP) in 10 nm +, with up to 38 cores, eight memory channels and up to 32 GB of High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) on board. But one hears from a moderate bandwidth of 650 GB / s - for comparison: NEC Aurora creates with HBM2 1.2 TB / s. The normal Xeon SP line is then to be extended by a special version ISX-H (codenamed Knights Cove) with 38 or 44 cores, which is intended as a successor to the Xeon Phi.

ISX-H

The 44-Kerner should be an MCM consisting of two chips of 22 cores. He should be about 40 percent faster in the Linpack than the normal ISX with 24 cores and should therefore run at around 30 percent lower clock. You could already hear about the successors Ice Age and Knights Run planned for 2021, which are probably intended for Aurora.

Map for optimized Deep Learning Knights Mill Intel will continue to bring out the end of this year without much fanfare launch. First prototypes could already be seen on the SC17.

The successor Knights Way (or something like that) will not exist anymore. Who wants to develop software for a discontinued architectural line? However, the AVX512 extension VNNI (Vector Neural Network Instructions) is then offered by the ISX-H.

Kostenfalle

The main reason for leaving the Xeon Phi should be the cost. Unlike Nvidia at Tesla, Intel can not exploit synergies with graphics chips in the Xeon Phi and can not afford any large numbers. At Nvidia, millions of gamers are making sure that the GPU design pays off.

In addition, there are apparently problems with the 10-nm process at Intel, so that the yield is low for large chips, which further increases the costs.

Also the dissatisfaction of the phi-users could have played a role. The implementation of AVX512 is only partially compatible with the Xeon and the code is not binary compatible because of other prefixes.

In addition, the Xeon Phi Knights Landing (KNL) requires elaborate optimization, because otherwise, according to the experience report of NERSC with the KNL supercomputer Cori reached on average only 70 percent of a Haswell node. Optimized for both, he can overtake the Haswell, but also just by 10 percent. ( as )

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 16, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Ok so I got my 16GB DDR4 RAM, ASRock motherboard should be arriving today, and my Coffee Lake i5 (8600k) on Saturday. Need to get a heat sink and fan.

So hopefully this “goon build” goes OK.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Three-Phase posted:

Ok so I got my 16GB DDR4 RAM, ASRock motherboard should be arriving today, and my Coffee Lake i5 (8600k) on Saturday. Need to get a heat sink and fan.

So hopefully this “goon build” goes OK.

Bestbuy sells some AIO watercoolers usually if you are in a pinch.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

Bestbuy sells some AIO watercoolers usually if you are in a pinch.

I’ll just put one of those cold-packs from the freezer on it for a temporary power up.

(Seriously don’t actually try that.)

I’d like to boot off of a thumb drive to something like a Linux OS to test some things out, any recdomendations that would work with newer Intel halrdware? Might just use Rufus plus Ubuntu.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Nov 16, 2017

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Three-Phase posted:

I’ll just put one of those cold-packs from the freezer on it for a temporary power up.

I hope this is a joke.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I hope this is a joke.

(It is.)

But you know what... I wonder if that could work...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Three-Phase posted:

(Seriously don’t actually try that.)

I’d like to boot off of a thumb drive to something like a Linux OS to test some things out, any recdomendations that would work with newer Intel halrdware? Might just use Rufus plus Ubuntu.

You dont have any lovely old hdd you can hook up and install windows 10 onto?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

You dont have any lovely old hdd you can hook up and install windows 10 onto?

I am going to pick up a M2 drive but I just want to sort of methodically check things.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Got the motherboard - I noticed the CPU slot has a strongly worded warning that 8th generation Intel CPUs are ONLY compatible with this board and trying to use a 6th or 7th generation CPU can result in permanent damage to both the motherboard and the CPU.

Also I am scared by the M.2 connector.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 16, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Three-Phase posted:

Got the motherboard - I noticed the CPU slot has a strongly worded warning that 8th generation Intel CPUs are ONLY compatible with this board and trying to use a 6th or 7th generation CPU can result in permanent damage to both the motherboard and the CPU.

Also I am scared by the M.2 connector.

Why are you scared? You put it in the slot and put the included screw in. Also take any m2 screws it came with and preinstall them in the motherboard so you dont lose them in the future.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I actually struggled with the m.2 slot on my motherboard because I didn't realize there were tiny kapton tape stickers on the standoff holes when trying to move the standoff for a smaller size m.2 card.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
So my 8700K from Amazon finally shipped after being delayed twice from an original delivery date of 11/9. Amazon graciously offered me 20% off so looks like I’m getting a 8700K for $300! Yay!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

mewse posted:

I actually struggled with the m.2 slot on my motherboard because I didn't realize there were tiny kapton tape stickers on the standoff holes when trying to move the standoff for a smaller size m.2 card.

M.2 is kind of a cheesy interface imo, it is good for laptops but I kind of wish they would just stick SFF-8643 cable connectors on motherboards instead for u.2 drives. Some mobos do this.

Would also help bring u.2 drive prices down too I imagine if more people had that option.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

Why are you scared? You put it in the slot and put the included screw in. Also take any m2 screws it came with and preinstall them in the motherboard so you dont lose them in the future.

For one thing the motherboard says there are TWO M.2 slots, but it looks like there is only one on the motherboard.

Second it’s hard to see the pins on there, I don’t want to just hamhandedly mash in a drive.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

For one thing the motherboard says there are TWO M.2 slots, but it looks like there is only one on the motherboard.

Second it’s hard to see the pins on there, I don’t want to just hamhandedly mash in a drive.

Sometimes they put one m.2 slot on the back, or have some goofball vertical mount like the matx asus strix.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Check on the back of the motherboard, sometimes they get stuffed back there. Other times there is a removable heatsink somewhere that hides a second M.2.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Derp it was there. I thought they were sandwiched on top of each other.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Also check your motherboard manual. it will tell you which ones to use first and what they interfere with.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Don Lapre posted:

Also check your motherboard manual. it will tell you which ones to use first and what they interfere with.

Gotcha - I did notice that when reading about those ports.

Going to read that manual front to back. At least the English part.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just discovered that my motherboard is Micro-ATX and my case is Mini-ITX. And I pitched the box so there’s no way to return the case now.

This new system is rapidly turning into a bit of a money pit. :psyduck:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

This new system is rapidly turning into a bit of a money pit. :psyduck:

Welcome to the club. As you have discovered, the lessons are not free.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I haven’t even gotten he drat CPU yet and I’ve already partially groverhaused this build. :psyduck:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 17, 2017

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
We’ve all been there at one time or another.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Three-Phase posted:

I haven’t even gotten he drat CPU yet and I’ve already partially groverhaused this build. :psyduck:

load-bearing SATA-to-PCIe adapters?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

load-bearing SATA-to-PCIe adapters?

SSDs striped in Windows :linus101:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

PerrineClostermann posted:

SSDs striped in Windows :linus101:

Wtf? Why would you do that?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

karthun posted:

Sometimes it isn't enough to say that something is a bad idea. You have to prove that it is.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

karthun posted:

Because you're a youtube superstar

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 17, 2017

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

I don't understand the internet anymore. Kids, get off my cyberlawn.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

:stare:

Would someone please link me to the SH/SC and/or YOSPOS thread where this was initially discussed. It's been a long week and I need a pick me up.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

:stare:

Would someone please link me to the SH/SC and/or YOSPOS thread where this was initially discussed. It's been a long week and I need a pick me up.

Just watch a 1 hour surface rt unboxing and go to bed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqAo4D7bfnQ

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

We’ve all been there at one time or another.

Eh I sort of like the larger form factor the mini-ITX is just sort of too compacted.

At least it’s not “buying a bed frame and not realizing it doesn’t come with a mattress” level of screw-up.
https://youtu.be/dYon37XfFv8

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 17, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I hate Linus so much

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I hate Linus so much

Pure hate combine with jealousy. At least for me. God I would love to have access to the stuff he does.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Does anyone have a link to a good overclocking guide for MSI boards? I've got a Pro Gaming Carbon board and a 8600K I'd like to get the most out of but all the voltage settings are a little daunting. So far I've just set the vcore to 1.22V and put the multiplier at 46. Runs under load around 70C, but I've got a better cooler coming and I may delid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

willroc7 posted:

Does anyone have a link to a good overclocking guide for MSI boards? I've got a Pro Gaming Carbon board and a 8600K I'd like to get the most out of but all the voltage settings are a little daunting. So far I've just set the vcore to 1.22V and put the multiplier at 46. Runs under load around 70C, but I've got a better cooler coming and I may delid.

I think you largely have it. You usually don't need to touch other voltage settings beyond Vcore unless something is wrong. 46x is a mild OC, and Coffeelake can run pretty hot, so 70C under load (Realbench, Prime95?) is pretty good. My "cool" OC is 4.7GHZ at 1.28 but I have a pretty decent air setup so I don't mind the extra voltage. I am stable at 5GHZ with 1.375v and usually am around mid-to-high 60s playing games and whatnot at that profile.

The only other thing I'd watch for is the AVX offset. That downclocks your CPU when running the uncommon but orders-of-magnitude hotter AVX instruction set. If you run Prime95 small FFT you may be downclocking your CPU so it can mess with benchmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Lockback posted:

I think you largely have it. You usually don't need to touch other voltage settings beyond Vcore unless something is wrong. 46x is a mild OC, and Coffeelake can run pretty hot, so 70C under load (Realbench, Prime95?) is pretty good. My "cool" OC is 4.7GHZ at 1.28 but I have a pretty decent air setup so I don't mind the extra voltage. I am stable at 5GHZ with 1.375v and usually am around mid-to-high 60s playing games and whatnot at that profile.

The only other thing I'd watch for is the AVX offset. That downclocks your CPU when running the uncommon but orders-of-magnitude hotter AVX instruction set. If you run Prime95 small FFT you may be downclocking your CPU so it can mess with benchmarks.

By watch for do you mean use the AVX offest? Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm using a Hyper T4 with some cooler master clotted cum thermal paste, but I've got a Noctua D15 and some conductonaut on the way :getin:.