Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Oh my god the new patch made the game even more prone to randomly murdering your commanders.

Holy poo poo, could they not add an exception for players to the "better weed out all the generated characters!" because this is loving absurd. My court physician, all my commanders, gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Oh my god the new patch made the game even more prone to randomly murdering your commanders.

Holy poo poo, could they not add an exception for players to the "better weed out all the generated characters!" because this is loving absurd. My court physician, all my commanders, gone
Haven't played, but whats causing this? Pruning turned way up or event mortality increased?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I guess the first game I'm going to play is as one of the new counts called out in the achievements. I like starting off as someone small, so it's nice to have ideas for starting characters.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

lurksion posted:

Haven't played, but whats causing this? Pruning turned way up or event mortality increased?
Pruning has been turned up, for performance no doubt

Also motherfucker, I would pay at least 3 toes for a loving will mechanic. Having the AI randomly decide how the gently caress they'll assign poo poo is infuriating.

Yeah, of course my brother, who got a single duchy, should get every single county level vassal alongside it! That's fine and reasonable!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pruning has been turned up, for performance no doubt

Also motherfucker, I would pay at least 3 toes for a loving will mechanic. Having the AI randomly decide how the gently caress they'll assign poo poo is infuriating.

Yeah, of course my brother, who got a single duchy, should get every single county level vassal alongside it! That's fine and reasonable!

Only if during a regency the regent can randomly change the will to benefit them somehow.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm assuming that a will mechanic for Gavelkind is pretty high up on the CK3 feature list. Would make it much more tolerable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Just when I started to build up the habit of shooing off dead councilors' and commanders' wives and children who had no reason to be around anymore, while at the same time I had gotten comfortable with there being a million high-powered courtiers to tempt away from other courts. I wonder how this is going to go.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Given that they've gone to fair lengths to prevent players from gaming Gavelkind, I think it's safe to say they're not going to add a "will" mechanic. The weird distribution isn't some weird bug or glitch - it's an intentional mechanic to force the player to either deal with their extra sons or deal with having a smaller post-inheritance demense than their brothers.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

It would be nice if they added a game rule for how aggressively characters are pruned. I prefer a slightly slower game with way more characters.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I'm pretty sure the game just doesn't notify you when minor positions like commanders die the way it does for main council seats, and since you only pay attention to them when you need them, you don't notice they dropped dead until later.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

A+ new nicknames

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Only if during a regency the regent can randomly change the will to benefit them somehow.
Ohh yeah, I'd love to have characters contest it, have regent gently caress with it, all kindsa shenanigans.

Main Paineframe posted:

Given that they've gone to fair lengths to prevent players from gaming Gavelkind, I think it's safe to say they're not going to add a "will" mechanic. The weird distribution isn't some weird bug or glitch - it's an intentional mechanic to force the player to either deal with their extra sons or deal with having a smaller post-inheritance demense than their brothers.
Well, it's dumb that the player has no control over inheritance unless they grant before death and then they have no idea what will happen when you do!

The game has variables and ways it calculates everything, but we have zero way to understand that without randomly handing out counties. How many counties are worth a duchy? Which duchy would grant what other non-de jure vassals?

Black incomprehensible boxes are always poo poo. Having a will would mean you could give things to non-inheriting sons (or even make them so) under non-gavelkind, that you could more easily take care of artifacts (here son, you take sword number 3 or 4) and set up our realm in an orderly, comprehensible way and not just going "welp i wonder what will happen if i give my boi this county or duchy, hyuck hyuck"

It's a matter of taking something bad and irritating and making it challenging and interesting. (Ahh! If I give this kid this vassal and 200 gold, I can give my primary heir this county, while my other son gets my regalia and random counties on the periphery)

Nut to Butt posted:

It would be nice if they added a game rule for how aggressively characters are pruned. I prefer a slightly slower game with way more characters.
Yeah, I'd love that. I don't play long enough usually for it to matter anyhow,

OH YEAH I ALMOST FORGOT

The Max Level Universal Panachea is worth 2000 favour. Hory shii

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want a drag drop 'will' mechanic, where you drag a title over to one of your sons for them to inherit it. Each title has a point value and you have to promise them pretty equal or everyone gets pissed off.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Crusader Kings 3 is going to be such an accurate representation of the medieval rules of law that you will need to be a medieval priest to understand half of what is going on.

But seriously it hasn't been game logic limitations, they've avoided wills because it's just busywork coloring between the lines of your inheritance law except the once in a millenium opportunity to do a legal masterwork, which historically would be ignored by everyone for being lawyer bullshit and the priest would just skim any good bits as punishment for trying to pull one over on god.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Historically, the best way to ensure a steady transition of power has been to give the next ruler some measure of power before they take the whole kit'n'kaboodle. Otherwise, you've left things until the last minute and you can't expect things to go off without a hitch. I feel like what I want to be done with gavelkind is for you to get a choice of which heir you want to play next when you die, like the brain parasite you are.

The main reason against landing your heirs was that you couldn't arrange marriages for them (and in a republic, they're dead to the world), but I hope that's been reworked by the new patch. I remember way back in vanilla CK2, your sons would want to get married, and you could make them like you by snagging them a wife, but I guess that got thrown away because it was too easy of an ambition to fulfill (in fact, ambitions seem to have almost been left behind by this point).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Wills could work by how much your heirs and maybe powerful vassals like the distribution essentially. So yeah, if you give all your stuff to your primary heir then the others will be pissed and will almost certainly start up big factions or rustle up troops. A more equitable balance will keep everybody grumpy but accepting of it.

Add in things like plots to alter wills or regents 'losing' them and such and I think it could be a workable mechanic that doesn't just let you game around gavelkind.

Fake edit: also require writing a will to take a hefty amount of gold and/or prestige so you can't just do it whenever but the longer you put it off, the higher the chance of your ruler dying for whatever reason and the game defaulting to the current black box gavelkind.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, just make it a point system which encourages you to split your titles equally. If you give too much to one son then your vassals will hate that son by increasing amounts.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Up until now, I was gonna hold off on this DLC for a bit. You win this round, Paradox.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

If you buy the 3 DLC bundle on Steam you can save 10% on Jade Dragon.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

binge crotching posted:

If you buy the 3 DLC bundle on Steam you can save 10% on Jade Dragon.

It's not that, I just finished a run-through from the Charlie start recently and was feeling a little burnt out

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I was looking at the new artifacts, and it seems that Paradox added horse armor now. If you're a lunatic and decide to make Glitterhoof your chancellor, you can then make him/her some armor as well.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

binge crotching posted:

it seems that Paradox added horse armor now.

CK2 is complete.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

binge crotching posted:

I was looking at the new artifacts, and it seems that Paradox added horse armor now. If you're a lunatic and decide to make Glitterhoof your chancellor, you can then make him/her some armor as well.

A+++ DLC

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I was updating a mod and accidentally removed two holy sites from a religion. When I loaded the game and looked at the religion screen, I saw a peculiar little man laughing at me from the two "blank" holy sites:

edit: what the hell got added to the portrait files

e2: how did i miss that post on this page

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 16, 2017

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tibet and, more surprisingly, the Taklamakan Basin actually look like interesting starts now.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking forward to playing as the Mongols, and seeing how it works with the new Emperor setup.

Fuligin posted:

Tibet and, more surprisingly, the Taklamakan Basin actually look like interesting starts now.

Yep, that caught my eye right on startup.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The game has music???

Also Zun Alert: The kingdom of Kabulistan is now a titular title, which means no discounts on kingdom creation cost, which means you gotta pray that the Emprah doesn't close the silk road or you die too quick.

Noooooo my Zunist kingdom

Jade Dragon makes me want to start learning Mandarin again.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 16, 2017

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I can confirm that the Zunbil start is now easier to get going with. 20 years in and I'm up to 10 provinces and no issues with the Abbasids.
The pro-tip is still to bumrush Kabul asap for the sweet Trade Post income. Being able to hire mercs to deal with the smaller Islamic realms is a lifesaver.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
- Fixed infinite cuckolding, your cuckolding victim will now only slightly hate you and not infinitely hate you

drat. i loved cuckolding a guy beyond time and space

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

kingturnip posted:

I can confirm that the Zunbil start is now easier to get going with. 20 years in and I'm up to 10 provinces and no issues with the Abbasids.
The pro-tip is still to bumrush Kabul asap for the sweet Trade Post income. Being able to hire mercs to deal with the smaller Islamic realms is a lifesaver.
Yeah, so long as you get Kabul right away things are easy peasy. China poo poo is hella OP

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Is it worth being a Tributary? 50% income and -4 prestige per month feels like a lot

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Kaza42 posted:

Is it worth being a Tributary? 50% income and -4 prestige per month feels like a lot
No, it is not, unless the other option is being wiped out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I was really scared when the sultanate to the east of Zunbil suddenly showed up as Abbasid on the map. I checked and tributary states appear as their suzerain on the map. :ohdear:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Love the map changes, it looks a lot more interesting in the east now.

Honestly I think I'd prefer if they made a Will mechanic but still left it out of the player control. Make it standardized and have all the information available to the players, just no direct way to influence it. Have like inheritance tiers for Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Titles, and each viable heir gets points for traits/power/prestige/piety/parent's opinion/being able to produce a heir that determine which tier of title they get and how many titles. Just knowing how the split is going to go and being able to indirectly influence it would do a lot to ease the frustration level of Gavelkind without unbalancing/removing the point of it.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I don't like the idea of a will mechanic. Gavelkind is supposed to be unwieldy as gently caress imo.

In other news, got Jade Dragon and immediately started an ironman run of 769 Otuken. First thing I did was start enthusiastically sucking Chinese dick. Sent them my aunt as a concubine, my shittiest commander, and kowtowed. I won't supply them horses though because Otuken is small and I need all the manpower I can get. Brokered a peace deal with the Tang Dynasty shortly after. This is a good thing because it didn't take long for Uyghur to get their poo poo pushed in and folded into the Western Protectorate. This meant that they were no longer my suzerain way earlier than usual in an Otuken game. Then one of their clans revolted and I managed to steal an entire duchy from them. So far so good. I also have a really good Chinese physician now.

The Western Protectorate is loving powerful though. Like at start they only had a few thousand in levies, but once they declared war on Uyghur they shot up to 10k from event spawned troops. I assume those were provided by China.

E: Weird, turns out I actually am still a tributary of Uyghur, but their name is no longer splayed over my territory. Must be because Western Protectorate is splayed all over theirs.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 17, 2017

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Reporting that Jade Dragon and 2.8.0 do not break existing saves despite the map change. I lost control of two of my Silk Road trade posts and for some reason can't seem to build more, and I shot up massively in demesne size on account of controlling both Khotan and Agnidesa (I shipped off Agnidesa, Khotan is crazy good now), but apart from that there were no problems except that Tibet was created as Catholic.

Also I discovered that immortals assume their true age upon death, prosthetic legs are expensive but sexy, and apparently there's no problem taking your great-great-granddaughter as a concubine.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

I started my usual Hashimid 769 run to try things out, and holy moly it's downright easy after you've rid yourself of your vassal sitting on Mecca. Hijaz has six counties, Mecca has a Silk Road post, and you can ship your rear end in a top hat male relatives to China to live out their days without balls.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Corsica and Sardinia are now so many provinces, it'll totally change things the next time I play in Italy.

Hell, in a lot of my games I go for Sardinia just because it's an easy target. Now it's so complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Jedit posted:

Reporting that Jade Dragon and 2.8.0 do not break existing saves despite the map change. I lost control of two of my Silk Road trade posts and for some reason can't seem to build more, and I shot up massively in demesne size on account of controlling both Khotan and Agnidesa (I shipped off Agnidesa, Khotan is crazy good now), but apart from that there were no problems except that Tibet was created as Catholic.

Also I discovered that immortals assume their true age upon death, prosthetic legs are expensive but sexy, and apparently there's no problem taking your great-great-granddaughter as a concubine.

The trade post thing is because you can no longer build posts on all provinces along a route. There are predetermined sites for them now. Hit the trade zone map mode and look for little moneybag symbols.

E: Got enough grace to request an artifact and they sent me a tier 2 piece of artwork. .35 prestige and .10 piety per month. Eh not bad. Kind of expected more for a hefty 500 grace though. By the way, it's worth noting that concubines you send to the Emperor have to be of your dynasty or least a relative. I'm about to send him one of my daughters in a year when she comes of age.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 17, 2017

• Locked thread