Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's very unlikely backer number has anything to do with shipping order, guys. It's all about logistics in shipments.

Sleevewise, deffo sleeve modifier decks. They get shuffled constantly and sleeves make shuffling easier. Modifier decks start at 20, so one 100 ct. sleeve pack should be enough for four players, though it could get tight once you factor in curses and blessings that can get added. Maybe get two and also sleeve each character's items.

I'd also recommend sleeving ability cards, these are the cards that get handled the most and will get grimey over time if you don't. Also it gives you the option to do enhancements without stickering the card. One 50 ct. sleeve pack will do for this, as classes don't go above 12 card hands (AFAIK, still haven't unlocked all of them). It's not too expensive and worth it IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Fwiw, I live in Seattle, was a late backer, ordered an add-on, and have not received any shipping notice yet.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

CaptainRightful posted:

Did you have any add-ons? I was backer #2520 and I still haven't received my shipping notice. All I added were the solo scenarios. And I can't do the My UPS thing, because I get packages delivered to my work address.

I have the single player book add-on, nothing else. I doubt backer number matters but this is all throwing stuff at the wall and hoping a pattern emerges anyway. :shrug:

E: Re: sleeves what size are we talking about here?

E2: Answering my own question. https://www.reddit.com/r/Gloomhaven/comments/5hdkyi/comprehensive_sleeving_guide/

quote:

In conclusion: For the average player who doesn’t want to sleeve every single card but doesn’t want to play the game completely without sleeves either, 150 Standard Card Sleeves should be more than enough. Make that 200 if you plan to play the random dungeon game variant.
In conclusion: For the average player who doesn’t want to sleeve every single card but also wants to guarantee the longevity of his or her game, you’ll be looking at Mini European Card Sleeves for:
150 Attack Modifier Cards
232 Monster Ability Cards
24 Battle Goal Cards
40 Item Cards
Which results in 446 Mini European Card Sleeves, or 9 packs of 50 card sleeves.

Don't need monster card ones if you're using the app, either.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 16, 2017

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

plester1 posted:

Fwiw, I live in Seattle, was a late backer, ordered an add-on, and have not received any shipping notice yet.

in europe, forgot i backed it while drunk and got it in the post a few weeks back

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I just got a notification that Gamenerdz got some copies secured for pre-order if anyone is still looking to buy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I ordered the hp/xp dials, since the 1.0 system for tracking them was traaash, and haven't gotten a shipping notice yet. Not that I'm too anxious about it.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I ordered the single-player book and got my copy yesterday. I'll probably never play it, but I could use it to stop a home invasion.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Will single player book be available on its own retail?

Also inspite of it being better then the old system, I don't like the health spinners, its too loose and prone to move numbers when bumped, I usually remember what my health was but xp sometimes Im not sure if I screwed or boosted myself.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Probably not, but the PDF is free. You could always print it out yourself.

Have you tried taking the dials apart and putting some cardstock between the pieces to tighten the fit?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Mine just arrived. Vancouver, Canada.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ojetor posted:

Probably not, but the PDF is free. You could always print it out yourself.

Have you tried taking the dials apart and putting some cardstock between the pieces to tighten the fit?

No. I am going to do something about it though.

I know I can pdf. Just really loving the game and regretting not getting it.

Regretting not backing founders of Gloomhaven too now that I have affection for the setting.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Also inspite of it being better then the old system, I don't like the health spinners, its too loose and prone to move numbers when bumped, I usually remember what my health was but xp sometimes Im not sure if I screwed or boosted myself.

I also don't like the spinners. I'm thinking about doing the card stock idea, but if anyone does it please let us know how it goes. I just got the first three of the planos I ordered from Amazon, so all the terrain tiles and monster stuff is sorted and it seems like its going to work great. My main complaint so far is that some of the little compartments fit the monster standees so well they can be a bit tricky to get back out. At least I know where they are though instead of sorting through one giant pile of doom.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
After 80+ plays, would recommend sleeving the attack modifier decks and the currently in use ability cards.

REMEMBER THE ATTACK MODIFIER CARDS THAT COME IN THE BOXES FOR THE CLASSES ARE NOT THE ENTIRE ATTACK MODIFIER DECK!!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

We're first edition not numbered for convenience? Or are people going muddle-muddle-push-push-leaf-wind-+1?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

We're first edition not numbered for convenience? Or are people going muddle-muddle-push-push-leaf-wind-+1?

That is exactly what people keep doing. Then wondering why the game is easy.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Not to be that guy. But I'm okay with being that guy. Shipping notification for Chicago. Eta 21st.
My body is ready.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Bombadilillo posted:

I'm in Washington State and got mine a week ago.

ChiTownEddie posted:

E: ^^ YEAH YEAH. My brother in Seattle is already on his 3rd session. THIS DISPLEASES ME.

I'm in Seattle too and I'm still waiting for my shipping notification.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mine came in today, and fortunately the worst issue I had with the punch boards was a little bit of peeling on a few pieces that didn't quite want to come out. I probably could have been a little more careful,, but it's not really a big deal and that was a lot of cardboard to get through.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Anybody got a link to the right sleeves? My left over FF yellow mini cards ones are too small. Lame.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Anybody got a link to the right sleeves? My left over FF yellow mini cards ones are too small. Lame.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fantasy-flight-supply/products/mini-european-board-game-sleeves/

It's the red FFG sleeves - mini euro size. (The yellow ones are mini american)

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.

Some Numbers posted:

I'm in Seattle too and I'm still waiting for my shipping notification.

:same:

I must be wearing out the internet wires between me and the UPS web site, with how often I've been pointlessly rechecking it.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Some tips from our time with the game (as first KS backers):

1) Long resting is often preferable, but if you do short rest, and you really don't want to lose the card that is randomly picked, you can spend a health to set that one aside and draw another random card to lose from your discards.

2) Blesses are powerful but not every class benefits from them to the same degree. If you are heavily reliant on your modifier deck to do damage they can actually clog things up. (For example, the character I am playing now has a lot of 1-2 damage attacks but modifiers up to +4 and several rolling modifiers. A crit means doing 2 damage. a +1 and a +4 means doing 6. So I don't want to be blessed.)

3) You'll advance faster if you follow story threads for at least a few missions rather than jumping around as the mood takes you. Interstitial missions often have little to no official reward (chest unlocks, XP earned and coins picked up notwithstanding) whereas big finales can be very lucrative.

4) Don't assume that because you're playing a support class that you can't wreck poo poo in combat. We've had four of them so far and they all have very powerful offensive capabilities with a bit of investment or building in the right direction. If you -want- to go heavy support, more power to you, you'll definitely amp your teammates' effectiveness dramatically. But it's not all you can do. Similarly, you don't actually necessarily need a dedicated support class. Pretty much everyone has some access to things like healing and shielding. But the support types definitely do so more and more powerfully, and can free allies up to focus more heavily on other roles.

5) You are not your own ally. If a power says it affects allies without including you explicitly, it doesn't include you. Alas.

6) Probably don't lose cards to cancel damage before you have to to stay alive, and be cautious about using lose effects on cards in early turns. Both can be worth it in the right circumstance (for example, if you take a major crit that's far more damage than you will usually take in one hit during the mission), but the earlier you lose a card, the more turns you lose.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Complaining online makes your dreams come true. Just got my shipping notification.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Shipping notification for Chicago. Eta 21st.

same

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Thanks. What about the ability cards?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

:respek:

My buddy who is nearly as excited as I am asked if we can skip our Thanksgiving plans. It took me far too long to say "probably not" haha. Should start up that weekend tho.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

malkav11 posted:

6) Probably don't lose cards to cancel damage before you have to to stay alive, and be cautious about using lose effects on cards in early turns. Both can be worth it in the right circumstance (for example, if you take a major crit that's far more damage than you will usually take in one hit during the mission), but the earlier you lose a card, the more turns you lose.

The hand management subgame is to me the most fascinating and engaging part of Gloomhaven that elevates it above all other dungeon crawlers. The constant thinking you have to do about both managing your own tempo and having to match tempo with your allies is the engine that makes the whole thing tick for me.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Complaining online makes your dreams come true. Just got my shipping notification.

I️ guess I️ better start complaining then!

Still no shipping notification :negative:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Not to be that guy. But I'm okay with being that guy. Shipping notification for Chicago. Eta 21st.
My body is ready.

Can I come over? :(

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For the YASS in this picture what are the tokens to the right of the 5 gold tokens? I don't have those, I also don't have the curse/bless status effect things, but I'm guessing that was just something that was changed because its not listen in the rule book as something I should have.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Doorknob Slobber posted:

For the YASS in this picture what are the tokens to the right of the 5 gold tokens? I don't have those, I also don't have the curse/bless status effect things, but I'm guessing that was just something that was changed because its not listen in the rule book as something I should have.

Those are XP tokens. The first printing has a 0-9 track for XP, and every time you lap it you get a 10 XP token to mark that. Curse/Bless status tokens are also useless in first edition.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Cursed blessed you just mix the hit cards into the deck. Somewhere in the rules is a note saying you don't use the tokens. (So I guess it doesn't count as a status for abilities that care about that?)

I got 5 golds in my game.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

Those are XP tokens. The first printing has a 0-9 track for XP, and every time you lap it you get a 10 XP token to mark that. Curse/Bless status tokens are also useless in first edition.

Alright, thats great. Freed up some space for other things, YASS working great for storage, like the guide says the box doesn't quite close all the way and it makes the box a bit heavier, but not I don't just have piles of poo poo in bags.

I wish there was a little space for something compact to put the decks of cards you draw from, but for ~$20 if you don't want to spend the big bucks on a professionally designed thing I think it will work fine.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 17, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I got tokens that are definitely gold and say 5 on them. Don't think he means the 10xp. Game hasn't asked me to use them yet.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Bombadilillo posted:

I got tokens that are definitely gold and say 5 on them. Don't think he means the 10xp. Game hasn't asked me to use them yet.
Nah I'm pretty sure he means the XP tokens, the second printing doesn't have them because the new hp/xp dials go higher than 10.

Got mine unpacked and sorted last night, took forever. I tried to copy that YASS post but I cleverly bought a slightly different plano, and couldn't find the thin one at all, so I had to make a few adjustments. It worked out in the end, I'm using smaller bead containers instead of the thin plano and it ends up taking a bit less space. The box neeeearly closes, and I'm sure I could get it all the way closed if I put more effort into packing the map tiles in.

Hoping to get it on the table tonight!!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I did mean the xp tokens

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I asked Cephalofair for general info about retail pre-orders and received this response: "At this point in time, we are hoping to have Gloomhaven widely available to retail come mid to late December."

That sounds like they're referring to widespread retail availability, so I hope my retail pre-order is earlier than that. Just jealous of you kickstarters.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

misguided rage posted:

Hoping to get it on the table tonight!!

Nice! Make sure to report back!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

The Lord of Hats posted:

Nice! Make sure to report back!
After weeks of only managing to get 3 people together for board games, tonight of all nights we're gonna have 5 haha. Hopefully I can still get it out this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

We've got five people for a game on Monday, so I'll be sitting out and helping rules coach.