Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I don't expect them to, but I still really hope they add DLC to this game in the form of a new world or two. Add in Pianta Plaza for notalgia? Add in a completely new land to visit. Both filled to the brim with new moons to find. I want more Odyssey :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would rather have Odyssey 2 than dlc

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hahahah holy poo poo that skip. can't wait to see all the other crazy skips speedrunners cook up.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

To get some moons, unfortunately yes. Usually just a single motion though, like to do the higher jump as a frog. Most captures you don't need to at all, the ones I can think of are the frog, Goomba (both jumps), the bullet bill (faster speed, which might be required sometimes, although I've gotten a lot of moons without it), the plant dude I think?

There are a few times that the game prompts you to use motion controls, but which you can substitute mashing Y for (climbing faster, for instance). There are also some actions which there are no button substitutes for, but which you don't need to use (so it's not as big a deal): the circular cap throw, the homing cap throw and the upwards cap throw.

I do hope they patch that out, I don't mind it so much but it would be nice to have a button input for the higher frog jump or the faster bullet bill.

You can do circle cap throw without waggle. Spin left stick until he has his arms out for the floaty jump, then throw cap with Y.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Whoops, yeah I don't know why I put in circle throw there. I think it's just upwards throw, and homing throw. As a substitute for upwards throw, you can just jump and throw. For downwards throw, I think you throw while doing a ground pound.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
DLC in a Mario game does feel strangely sacrilegious. Nintendo does well by its DLC poo poo though, for the most part.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

so groundpounding followed by jumping means you immediately jump higher. but someone earlier itt pointed out that if you throw your hat instead of jumping then it rolls heaps far along the ground (really good for getting those birds sittin' on rooftops or edges.)

then last night i realised if you keep your finger on the crouch and do a roll straight after groundpoundin' you'll take off with more speed than normal.

this game truly owns. mario is the best

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

8-Bit Scholar posted:

DLC in a Mario game does feel strangely sacrilegious. Nintendo does well by its DLC poo poo though, for the most part.

Fire Emblem DLC mostly sucks

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I’d be down for some DLC that just added more challenge areas, like maybe a small new world that’s just a hub for challenges. Maybe some new hint art or something too. And outfits. I agree that I’d rather have whole new worlds saved for a sequel.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I feel like if DLC was planned they would have announced it pre-launch and served it as a season pass, that's been their strategy for single-player DLC a while now.

Then again last time Nintendo started work on DLC for a mainline 3D Mario they ended up making Galaxy 2 instead, so maybe they'll just crank out another loving masterpiece out of all the ides they didn't have time to implement in Odyssey.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DLC, Mario Odyssey 2... at the moment, if Nintendo make it, i'll buy it

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

cheetah7071 posted:

Fire Emblem DLC mostly sucks

Fire Emblem is not developed by Nintendo themselves

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fire Emblem is also ruthless with its DLC. While the games are definitely complete products you can enjoy without buying any, the amount of DLC they pump out for them has gotten crazy.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I am glad that Fire Emblem makes Nintendo lots of money so they can continue to make papercraft platformer games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anything in low Gravity in this game is loving terrible.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

veni veni veni posted:

The frog in low gravity owns actually

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

this rabbit boss rush on the moon poo poo has thoroughly killed any interest I have in playing this game anymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

veni veni veni posted:

this rabbit boss rush on the moon poo poo has thoroughly killed any interest I have in playing this game anymore.

https://twitter.com/Alxprit/status/928486112598769664

You can leave at any time to replenish without losing your progress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Holy poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And only the first fight or two is that hard. Once you get past them, you should be fine. In fact, the Broodalbot rematch is markedly easier than when you fight it in Bowser's Kingdom.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah the first fight and not being able to recharge health. in between was what was killing me. I usually take at least one hit during that one.

Getting 6 health in between is a game changer. Too bad I spent like 2 hours trying to beat it already and I would have never noticed that in a million years.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yeah, I struggled with the boss rush, not realizing that there was a heart power up there.

You, however, get really good at beating the bosses, and you learn valuable strats like

Green hat rabbit
If you stomp on the correct hat, you immediately move on to the new phase. Hitting the rabbit with a ground pound pops you up into the air for the perfect length of time to land back on the correct hat if you don't move.

Bomb rabbit
You can hit the bombs she throws with your cap to reflect them back to her to knock her hat off and get a hit in. When she goes into the UFO mode, you can hit the first bomb/any bomb she hovers over to knock her out of that phase.

I managed it, eventually. If I can do it, you can too.

(now to work on those hatless levels. :suicide:)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah that's what I'm doing now and I think I want to go back to the rabbits.

Invisible road...

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 17, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

veni veni veni posted:

They somehow made good water levels in a mario game though so I'll give them a pass.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Drewjitsu posted:

Yeah, I struggled with the boss rush, not realizing that there was a heart power up there.

You, however, get really good at beating the bosses, and you learn valuable strats like

Green hat rabbit
If you stomp on the correct hat, you immediately move on to the new phase. Hitting the rabbit with a ground pound pops you up into the air for the perfect length of time to land back on the correct hat if you don't move.

Bomb rabbit
You can hit the bombs she throws with your cap to reflect them back to her to knock her hat off and get a hit in. When she goes into the UFO mode, you can hit the first bomb/any bomb she hovers over to knock her out of that phase.

I managed it, eventually. If I can do it, you can too.

For green hat rabbit, letting Cappy hover in his stack will knock off like 4 or 5 hats at a time. Poison rabbit you can knock off his hat and stomp him before he starts spewing, and if you jump on his hat when he's gliding around he'll go back to vulnerable time. You can probably finish him in less than 30 seconds

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Invisible road...

bane of my existence. that and beach volleyball.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
One of the weirder moons that pissed me off was the moon level's 2nd circle walk.

90 points to win, I scored in the mid-80's about a dozen times and got pissed off the way that only video games can get you, then the last time I just knew I fudged it so just haphazardly ran to the end to start the next run and scored a 97.

edit: so apparently "captureless" runs are a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wQdwCF610

I can see the appeal of any% speed runs or even 100% speed runs, but this just seems... frustrating to both play and watch.

Also this video seems kinda intriguing. Sorry just perusing through youtube but anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD1aBGidic4

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Nov 17, 2017

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah that's what I'm doing now and I think I want to go back to the rabbits.

Invisible road...

gently caress whoever thought hatless poison piranha plant invisible platform bullshit was a good idea with a rusty pitchfork. Sideways.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

gently caress whoever thought hatless poison piranha plant invisible platform bullshit was a good idea with a rusty pitchfork. Sideways.

I kept smashing my face into that brick wall of a level until I finally beat it, only to realize to my horror:

1. there's a six-health heart just outside
2. you can recharge your hits with the hidden mid-level moon without really risking an extra hit if you do a couple of long jumps

which would've made it an absolute cakewalk

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

GreatGreen posted:

Also this video seems kinda intriguing. Sorry just perusing through youtube but anyway.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KD1aBGidic4

Spoilers: he doesn't ever make it. LAAAAME

This guy does make it though: https://twitter.com/Liiiivole

Sadly there's nothing up there. Seems the devs didn't intend for you to be able to get up there :(

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffleman_ posted:

Nice. I guess I will do that boss rush with extra health. Really didn't feel like having an aneurysm.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
On somewhere around 620 moons now and still having a whale of a time. Finally did the Dark Side boss rush after finding out about the health boost, thanks thread! And been going through collecting purple coins more recently, got em all from Mushroom through to Snow/Seaside. I think that only leaves 4 kingdoms poo poo yeah

Also Darker Side is definitely the fun side of difficult but fffffuuuuuuuck you Darker Side

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure between this game and BOTW, Nintendo just loves watching speedrunners go.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i had no idea about (post-dark/darker side stuff) the king costume and the invisibility cap! delightful.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Does anyone not ground-pound her new boyfriend and his stack of bro's to death afterwards?

I hope not, I make her watch them die every single time

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dirk the Average posted:

i did it first time. :smug:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got all purple coins except for 25 in the Bowser Kingdom which I’ll do when I’m less sleepy gently caress yeah

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

looked up the location on a couple hint moons last night. holy loly that seaside kingdom hint art! (i couldn't get out of the mindset of "keep" referring to "bowser's keep", i never would have found this)

but now i've collected all 880 moons in the game!

do you get anything for maxing out the moon counter? just wondering if i should grind the coins to do that. i probably will anyway.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

do you get anything for maxing out the moon counter? just wondering if i should grind the coins to do that. i probably will anyway.
Something appears in Mushroom Kingdom that you can interact with to get a little five second cutscene. Nothing gameplay related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Don't you also get a new version of the Bowser fight?

• Locked thread