Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
In that sense, maybe loot boxes in XCOM 3 is just what we need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I've started a game on rookie trying to do the achievement for doing a mission with all tired soldiers.
Missions aren't even close enough together to keep my soldiers tired.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Wait till a Mission shows up, then do blacksite or facility before hand. Only way to guarantee two missions back to back. Everything else is at the mercy of a Mission calendar that tends to evenly space them all.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Let's be honest, it's more likely to be unit unlocks in the MP than anything touching the single player because they'd get murdered over "always online" in an XCOM game

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Coolguye posted:

ballin' i could use a game of chess that i will probably lose actually

this friday evening work for you, CST(gmt-6)?

That's fine - I'm also CST - but probably easier to just set up as correspondence and kick it off whenever.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

ulmont posted:

That's fine - I'm also CST - but probably easier to just set up as correspondence and kick it off whenever.

sounds good i'll do that tomorrow probably

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Canuck-Errant posted:

Let's be honest, it's more likely to be unit unlocks in the MP than anything touching the single player because they'd get murdered over "always online" in an XCOM game

Bradford's Sweater is a legendary drop

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

RBA Starblade posted:

Bradford's Sweater is a legendary drop

Nothing has flipped me from zealous opposition to fanatical support so quickly and effectively as this post.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Nov 16, 2017

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Maluco Marinero posted:

Wait till a Mission shows up, then do blacksite or facility before hand. Only way to guarantee two missions back to back. Everything else is at the mercy of a Mission calendar that tends to evenly space them all.

Ah, that makes sense. It was still tough to do, as one of the guys I was trying to keep tired ended up shaken. What I ended up doing was an "easy" rated mission with just two tired soldiers.

I ran into a situation I've never seen before on the second mission, the one where you get your first engineer. That mission always introduces Sectoids, and then stun lancers appear in a subsequent mission. However, during this mission a group of reinforcements was dropped in that included an Advent Priest and two stun lancers. This was on the easy play through I made for the achievement, which surprised me even more.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 16, 2017

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

I wish there was a better way to equip your soldiers. It's much easier than, say, UFO Defense, but still a hassle. It feels like so much work and makes me not want to keep on playing.

After you can fill out a full squad with certain gear, just cheat to get the extra equipment you need to avoid having to constantly swap. If you're playing LW2, depending on how much you want to avoid any potential gain, it can get a bit more complicated thanks to having multiple squads out at once, but just work with whatever you're okay with.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Ah, that makes sense. It was still tough to do, as one of the guys I was trying to keep tired ended up shaken. What I ended up doing was an "easy" rated mission with just two tired soldiers.

I ran into a situation I've never seen before on the second mission, the one where you get your first engineer. That mission always introduces Sectoids, and then stun lancers appear in a subsequent mission. However, during this mission a group of reinforcements was dropped in that included an Advent Priest and two stun lancers. This was on the easy play through I made for the achievement, which surprised me even more.

Reinforcements have a chance of being a pod from a higher force level! It can suck sometimes!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

aegof posted:

Reinforcements have a chance of being a pod from a higher force level! It can suck sometimes!

ask me about a Chosen calling in 2 MECs and a lancer on my fifth mission

:shepicide:

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'd be so down for more people to completely rip this style of game in other settings. I didn't play Xenonauts, was it good? I want a 40k X-COM where your base is a cathedral spaceship and you build flagellation chambers so your chaplain can whip himself before casting magic on space demons.

You could also do some more contemporary war stuff, kind of like Company of Heroes <> Dawn of War, and give me a WWII XCOM or something where I can flank a hitler and 100% crit it in the face

Also, I notice that (at least in LW2, I don't rememebr seeing it in WOTC) some reinforcements teleport in rather than take the flying bus. There's just a purple flash not unlike a psiop ability, and bam, a sectoid and two vipers are there now or whatever.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 16, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Firstborn posted:

I'd be so down for more people to completely rip this style of game in other settings. I didn't play Xenonauts, was it good? I want a 40k X-COM where your base is a cathedral spaceship and you build flagellation chambers so your chaplain can whip himself before casting magic on space demons.

You could also do some more contemporary war stuff, kind of like Company of Heroes <> Dawn of War, and give me a WWII XCOM or something where I can flank a hitler and 100% crit it in the face

XDOOM, where every action is run and gun!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RBA Starblade posted:

yesssssss

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
How about a SWAT style XCOM where you can run up and subdue guys for interrogation instead of chopping them with a machete? That'd be cool if you had to follow some light rules of engagement like the police quest games - like you can't use deadly force until they threaten you or something.

I'd say an Aliens one, but the games tend to be lovely. I guess you could just do an all Chryssalid mod somehow and get by with that.

There was this cool Power Rangers parody game a while back, and something similar to that would be fun, too. Or maybe something anime, like DBZ or something where you are using all those cool cone attacks and stuff? A super hero one kind of like Freedom Force, where you are picking up those cars and throwing them?

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 16, 2017

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RBA Starblade posted:

the only guns are shotguns and sawed off shotguns, and everyone gets those, a ripjack, unlimited run+gun, and momentum

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

If anyone has the clout to keep his studios' games lootbox free then it has to be Sid Meier.

I can't imagine them coming anywhere near Civ either.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
You can do that now if you download the Doomguy Armor mod for XCOM2, then use one of those classless "i am the commander, gently caress you" mods and give all your dudes run and gun.
Here is the doomguy/doomchick (there's one for wotc too)

I wonder if the Predator armor mod could reskin Skirmishers in WOTC? They are practically Predators anyway.
E: Not updated for wotc

why is this so funny to me

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 16, 2017

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

nessin posted:

After you can fill out a full squad with certain gear, just cheat to get the extra equipment you need to avoid having to constantly swap. If you're playing LW2, depending on how much you want to avoid any potential gain, it can get a bit more complicated thanks to having multiple squads out at once, but just work with whatever you're okay with.

Never thought of doing this, how can I cheat in order to achieve it?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Playing LW2, just SPARK punched a Viper through two walls. Go download the Bigger SPARK Punches mod, yall.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Firstborn posted:

I'd be so down for more people to completely rip this style of game in other settings. I didn't play Xenonauts, was it good?

Xenonauts is fun, however: a) it keeps bad things like TUs in just for the sake of nostalgia; b) the game doesn't have any personality, it's the most generic, dull thing imaginable; c) the air game is needlessly difficult/complicated; d) the "classes" are bad.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 16, 2017

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

quote:

a) it keeps bad things like TUs in just for the sake of nostalgia
:frogout:

I completely get why they went the way they have for the modern X-COMs but I always preferred the more simulation based TU system (same goes for the inventory as well)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm also a grognard who liked that different places you put stuff in your inventory cost less/more TUs to reach.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Thank heavens those are gone. Missions take long enough as it is on Legendary before I commit to a turn the last thing I want to be doing is obsessing over TUs a loving backpack's effect on it.

We aren't kids anymore, we shouldn't have the time for that poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Firstborn posted:

I'm also a grognard who liked that different places you put stuff in your inventory cost less/more TUs to reach.

just drop your gun on the ground before pulling your other gun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coolguye posted:

just drop your gun on the ground before pulling your other gun

death comes

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

especially because there is no situation in OG xcom where pulling another weapon takes fewer TUs than just reloading

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Firstborn posted:

How about a SWAT style XCOM where you can run up and subdue guys for interrogation instead of chopping them with a machete? That'd be cool if you had to follow some light rules of engagement like the police quest games - like you can't use deadly force until they threaten you or something.

I'd say an Aliens one, but the games tend to be lovely. I guess you could just do an all Chryssalid mod somehow and get by with that.

There was this cool Power Rangers parody game a while back, and something similar to that would be fun, too. Or maybe something anime, like DBZ or something where you are using all those cool cone attacks and stuff? A super hero one kind of like Freedom Force, where you are picking up those cars and throwing them?

Still want Ghostbusters XCOM and Stargate XCOM, drat it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I was super into the idea of Mordheim because I thought it was going to just be like, Fantasy XCOM? Where all the class skills were even more fantastical and bizarre and fun but the gameplay would be really similar.
Turns out it's not really similar and I don't enjoy Mordheim. Whoops.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i'm still waiting for a Hunter: The Reckoning/Vigil xcom like game.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'm having a really obnoxious issue that has possible ended my current campain. yes, I am playing with an assload of mods and that's probably how this happened, but it seems like this should be fixable.

I am being hunted by the UFO, and it triggers an avenger defense mission.
First time I did this, I guess one of my map mods bugged out and made it so the distruptor never spawned, and the mission is therefore unwinnable.
So I go OK fine, disable map mods and try loading it up again, now every time I try to launch a new avenger defense I get stuck at a screen like this:

poo poo I have tried:
using console commands to win the mission. using the one that ends the mission makes for a campaign failure since it counts as losing an avenger defense. using the one that is supposed to complete the "defense" objective did nothing?
various combos of map mods activated/not activated
making the UFO down me on other continents (at best this might give me a different stuck image like above)
I went and did a facility mission just to make sure other missions still worked (it did) and then let it catch me again and still got the same issue.
verifying game cache

So yeah I guess my avenger defense missions are hosed somehow, thus loving my entire campaign? Anyone had an issue like this? Anything I can do?

edit: so I let it load up to this screen again and then hit the endbattle xcomwins true thing and uh...somehow that worked this time? It ended the mission and not the campaign, at least? Guess I'll see how it plays out from here.

Light Gun Man fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 17, 2017

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Roobanguy posted:

i'm still waiting for a Hunter: The Reckoning/Vigil xcom like game.

Hell yeah my bitch, I loved that game.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

Stargate XCOM, drat it.

Someday, my dream will become reality

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I also really enjoyed those hold Hunter games (and the tabletop). They were pretty drat cool for what they were! DId any make it to PC? Might revisit if they did.

I'm a few months into my LW2 campaign, and maaaan. There's like 7 Dark Events permanently foreverially active, one of which reduces melee damage on troops. Another which give enemy troops more health. It really sucks to do a max range Fleche and only do 5 of the Advent Officer's 13 HP. It would be so helpful if I could see which missions were which events, at least.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Taffer posted:

Someday, my dream will become reality

Indeed.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I'll admit that I want them to literally farm the engine out to franchises because 1) moar games hell yeah and 2) would make porting the assets over to regular XCOM easier too!

IBlameRoadSuess
Feb 20, 2012

Fucking technology...

At least I HAVE THIS!
Hard West is a decent XCOM-like with a western/supernatural theme.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I enjoyed Hard West but it has some glaring issues. I like the story though, and there's sort of a "choose your own adventure" vibe as you stare at a text screen asking if you want to pull up the shiny thing from the well?

Oh, you did? You have dysentery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Firstborn posted:

I enjoyed Hard West but it has some glaring issues. I like the story though, and there's sort of a "choose your own adventure" vibe as you stare at a text screen asking if you want to pull up the shiny thing from the well?

Oh, you did? You have dysentery

From the Chryssalids you shot you got 1000 pounds of meat. However, you were only able to carry 100 pounds back to the Skyranger.