Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought CanPol was full of STEMlords, what's with all these FYGMlords who don't care about students?

I mean.... if this were a venn diagram they'd completely overlap each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DutchDupe posted:

OPSEU wanted to go to arbitration.

Their messaging to all their members was "vote no on the proposal so the colleges back down or the Liberals table back-to-work legislation with arbitration".

They think they can get a better deal out of arbitration.

It's a good political stunt on the NDP's part, since OPSEU officials can keep on putting out media statements about how against the idea of legislating back to work they are, but in reality they anticipated and communicated this to their members as something desirable at this stage in the negotiations.

Just fyi, there's no need to introduce back to work legislation if both parties want to go arbitration. They can simply agree to see an arbitrator.

Please take your bullshit somewhere else.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

Reince Penis posted:

Just fyi, there's no need to introduce back to work legislation if both parties want to go arbitration. They can simply agree to see an arbitrator.

Please take your bullshit somewhere else.

OPSEU would never willingly agree to go to binding arbitration because their power is the picket line.

Which doesn't mean they are against arbitration.

They just won't willingly submit to it.

At this stage in the negotiations, arbitration through back to work legislation was seen as a positive and better than continued direct negotiation with the colleges.

Literally the message they were sending to all their members.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Listening to my incredibly left wing cousin complain tonight about how terrible teachers are was a treat.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

Apparently OPSEU just demanded $5000 back-to-work bonus payment for all the striking faculty tonight which would have been around $60mil according to the colleges which lead to the impasse tonight.

https://durhamcollege.ca/wp-content/uploads/Press-Release-Bargaining-Update-Nov-16-.pdf

I support the union in the strike, but if this is true I'm really not impressed. I get that the vote went well, but the optics of this are terrible.

However I think they'll get a lot out of binding arbitration, but that remains to be seen.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

TrueChaos posted:

I support the union in the strike, but if this is true I'm really not impressed. I get that the vote went well, but the optics of this are terrible.

However I think they'll get a lot out of binding arbitration, but that remains to be seen.

FWIW, OPSEU Pres says this is completely fabricated.

And CEC has shown they are willing to lie and manipulate already.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

DutchDupe posted:

They definitely have shown a willingness to lie. Got a link to the OPSEU pres denial? I'm arguing with friends and can't seem to find it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

TheKingofSprings posted:

I thought CanPol was full of STEMlords, what's with all these FYGMlords who don't care about students?

Uber is a stupid business model to apply to taxi drivers, guess what everyone who can tie his shoes on the first try thinks of turning salaried educator positions into a gig economy?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I follow Gail vaz-oxlade on twitter and she is against the teachers lmao

I hope north Korea launches nukes on Canada because it's closer

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

flakeloaf posted:

Uber is a stupid business model to apply to taxi drivers, guess what everyone who can tie his shoes on the first try thinks of turning salaried educator positions into a gig economy?

My dude have you read anything written by Iszbella kaminksa

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I have a crazy idea, maybe colleges and universities should negotiate in good faith, fire all of their parasitic middle management senior deputy vice Chancellors of bullshit, and stop treating any employees who aren't on the tenure track like utter poo poo.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

namaste faggots posted:

My dude have you read anything written by Iszbella kaminksa

who

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

I have a crazy idea, maybe colleges and universities should negotiate in good faith, fire all of their parasitic middle management senior deputy vice Chancellors of bullshit, and stop treating any employees who aren't on the tenure track like utter poo poo.

But making academies run like businesses can only improve them! Businesses are the best model for anything!~ CAPITALISMS

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

DutchDupe posted:

Apparently OPSEU bargaining chair indicated that this was as compensation for the forced vote, there's no denial it was asked for...

https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2017/11/16/striking-faculty-reject-colleges-contract-offer.html

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Without a billion MBAs running the universities, who will do the incantations to sell off all their endowments to condo developers?? :ohdear: those deals don’t make themselves you know

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

quote:

“We were right on the cusp of First Nations in my region being able to look after themselves,” said Ross, who ran and won a Liberal seat in the provincial legislature last May to help get the liquefied natural gas (LNG) industry off the ground.

“We were just starting to turn the tide on that opposition to everything. For the first time, since white contact, we were ready to take our place in B.C. and Canada. Instead, B.C. is not going to exist pretty soon in terms of investment. That is how worried I am.”

:qq:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

“Horrible”: parents left empty-handed as humanitarian pressure kills BC child sex trade

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
i'm very surprised at the back to work legislation because in 2015 the scc ruled that kind of legislation was illegal and it hasn't been used since .... :http://blg.com/en/News-And-Publications/Publication_4023

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Who are these "scores of pro-development First Nations groups" that somehow think they won't get screwed out whatever empty promises they're offered related to development projects, unlike just about every other development project in Canadian history?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

RBC posted:

i'm very surprised at the back to work legislation because in 2015 the scc ruled that kind of legislation was illegal and it hasn't been used since .... :http://blg.com/en/News-And-Publications/Publication_4023

Ha! look! this guy thinks the law matters.

In Canada, no less.

Welcome back, when did you get out of the coma?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wow, and just in time for this

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/931294865534500864

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Falstaff posted:

Who are these "scores of pro-development First Nations groups" that somehow think they won't get screwed out whatever empty promises they're offered related to development projects, unlike just about every other development project in Canadian history?

I don’t know if the FN groups think they are going to get screwed but it is common for a community to sign a memorandum of understanding with a company for some sort of economic benefit in case a project goes ahead while at the same time protesting the project.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

What a garbage loving article.

90% qq'ing about the horrible mean protestors killing business, heartlessly forcing FN's into poverty and then just tucking in this a single time:

quote:

In the end, Petronas cancelled the project because of “the extremely challenging environment brought about by the prolonged depressed prices” for LNG.

Followed up immediately again with

quote:

Yet the company was just as concerned by protesters camped on Lelu Island, where the project was to be sited, who made it difficult to do preliminary work, as well as ongoing litigation funded by SkeenaWild Conservation Trust.

Oh really? I'm sure they were just as concerned about a handful of protesters the RCMP would happily drive a steamroller over if asked to as they were the balance sheet projections.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Maybe you guys shuttle be coming around to a rural genocide

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
The OLP has had some legit good policies. They have also had some enormous turds. But the mix has been overall okay enough that depending on just how bad of a campaign the NDP run next time, I was considering actually voting OLP for the first time in my life. I wasn't decided or anything, but minimum wage increase + pension increase + mincome trial + kiddy pharmacare were enough to make me seriously consider them on the merits.

And now today, I see who really has my back. It's not the OLP.

The union knew that binding arbitration was coming and are okay with it because they believe that the CEC negotiating team is a bunch of turds arguing in bad faith. The forced vote had no chance of ever being accepted (if you've already been offered $100, would you approve a contract giving you $80 instead?), and only served to delay the strike. An arbitrator may actually want the strike to end. But that doesn't mean that we support back to work legislation! We do not support the government trampling on our rights even if we think the outcome might be okay in this case! Solidarity with other unions and working towards a strong labor movement for everyone is important.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

TheKingofSprings posted:

all these FYGMlords who don't care about students

But enough about the College Employer Council.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RBC posted:

Legislation banning strikes entirely at the government’s discretion with no recourse is obviously unconstitutional. That’s what that judgment is concerned with according to that article.

The article does touch on Ontario’s labour history with post-secondary education and notes that new back-to-work bills will need to include dispute management as part of their resolution. Wynne sending the parties to binding arbitration would likely count for such a requirement.

I hate this bill and I think it shouldn’t be allowed, but the article you’ve linked doesn’t make a strong case that the bill is already banned by the Supreme Court decision.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jimbozig posted:

The OLP has had some legit good policies. They have also had some enormous turds. But the mix has been overall okay enough that depending on just how bad of a campaign the NDP run next time, I was considering actually voting OLP for the first time in my life. I wasn't decided or anything, but minimum wage increase + pension increase + mincome trial + kiddy pharmacare were enough to make me seriously consider them on the merits.

And now today, I see who really has my back. It's not the OLP.

The union knew that binding arbitration was coming and are okay with it because they believe that the CEC negotiating team is a bunch of turds arguing in bad faith. The forced vote had no chance of ever being accepted (if you've already been offered $100, would you approve a contract giving you $80 instead?), and only served to delay the strike. An arbitrator may actually want the strike to end. But that doesn't mean that we support back to work legislation! We do not support the government trampling on our rights even if we think the outcome might be okay in this case! Solidarity with other unions and working towards a strong labor movement for everyone is important.

Lol shut up home birther

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

namaste faggots posted:

Lol shut up home birther

I'm so, so happy that you are still pissed off about that. My face lights up like Christmas every time you make a salty post about it.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Jimbozig posted:

But that doesn't mean that we support back to work legislation! We do not support the government trampling on our rights even if we think the outcome might be okay in this case! Solidarity with other unions and working towards a strong labor movement for everyone is important.

Back-to-work legislation does not trample on rights if it includes a fair alternative method of dispute resolution, and if it does trample on rights, it violates the Charter and OPSEU's lawyers would have a field day.

Besides, what the hell do you think the union gets out of CEC's continued stonewalling and intransigence? A depleted strike fund by the end of the year? (Don Sinclair, if you're reading this, remember to call your doctor if your erection lasts longer than four hours.) How does that help other OPSEU locals who may need those funds in the future?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

All hail the return of the kwisatz weederach Paul muad'weed

This was your finest work

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

tagesschau posted:

Back-to-work legislation does not trample on rights if it includes a fair alternative method of dispute resolution, and if it does trample on rights, it violates the Charter and OPSEU's lawyers would have a field day.

Besides, what the hell do you think the union gets out of CEC's continued stonewalling and intransigence? A depleted strike fund by the end of the year? (Don Sinclair, if you're reading this, remember to call your doctor if your erection lasts longer than four hours.) How does that help other OPSEU locals who may need those funds in the future?

When I was on strike as a TA at UofT, we went to binding arbitration. The arbitrator said "well, I don't think that any of the things the union is asking for are under my purview, so I will impose exactly the contract the University asked for." Literally: gently caress you students, being fair is not my job.

So why don't you take a guess as to what my opinion might be of your "fair alternative method."

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Aug 26, 2018

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

James Baud posted:

The needs of the many (students) outweigh the needs of the few (you).

Ok. Please come by my house and clean up after my family. There are 5 of us and only 1 of you. I'll pay you what I think is fair, not what you think is fair.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

James Baud posted:

Thanks Spock, I'm sure landlords accept facile platitudes.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

James Baud posted:

Wait, who bought Betsy DeVos a SA account?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

Wait, who bought Betsy DeVos a SA account?

Why would Betsy want to talk to (you) ?

http://business.financialpost.com/n...spiracy-lawsuit

Quick topic switch: Link is when things go waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too far.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Nah, let's talk about this

Toronto Star posted:

CALGARY—TransCanada Corp. said its Keystone pipeline has leaked an estimated 795,000 litres of oil in Marshall County, S.D. just days before Nebraska is set to decide the fate of its Keystone XL pipeline.

The company said its crews shut down the Keystone pipeline system early this morning between Hardisty, Alta. to Cushing, Okla., and a line to Patoka, Ill. and that the line is expected to remain shut while it responds to the spill.

The leak, which it said happened about 35 kilometres south of its Ludden pump station on a right-of-way, comes as Nebraska Public Service Commission is set to vote on the Keystone XL project on Nov. 20 to clear the last major regulatory hurdle for the $8 billion project.

Opponents of Keystone XL say the pipeline would pass through the Sandhills, an ecologically fragile region of grass-covered sand dunes, and would cross the land of farmers and ranchers who don’t want it.

“Just days before the Nebraska Public Service Commissions decides on whether to approve Keystone XL we get a painful reminder of why no one wants a pipeline over their water supply,” said Greenpeace campaigner Mike Hudema.

The Sierra Club was also quick to condemn the spill, urging the commission not to vote for the project.

“We’ve always said it’s not a question of whether a pipeline will spill, but when, and today TransCanada is making our case for us,” said campaign director Kelly Martin.

The pipeline would transport oilsands oil from Alberta through Montana and South Dakota to Nebraska, where it would connect with existing pipelines that feed Texas Gulf Coast refineries.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can't they just double-wall those fuckers and have liquid sensors in the outer pipe that shuts the whole section down? Are pipelines just fundamentally dangerous or would the cost of actually doing things safely force the job creators to just build their pipelines in another country with more business-friendly pipeline regulations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
you know what else had double walls

that's right