Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Aesculus posted:

It doesn't help that certain right-wingers in the Greens are unironically Parliamentary Friends of Israel

Yeah sure, but like all anyone has to do is to avoid using ethnic slurs/attacks and everything is fine. Due to literally generations of baked-in antisemitism (thanks to the Church) somehow we haven't been able to not whip out the "Fukken Jews" card whenever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Hey Maybe Melbourne isn't so great what with all the anti-semetism and all

Maybe Perth can be best city for a while - we all voted for SSM, have a Labor govt*... The coffee isn't poo poo anymore... SMALL BARS?

Oh and our housing bubble is pretty much sorted.

Just uh don't try to use the Freeways ok

*Ok it's a really centre right labor govt but still

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't think attacking Israel is the way either. Attack their policies but don't attack "Israel" because it's always perceived as attacking Jews.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Don Dongington posted:

Maybe Perth can be best city for a while - we all voted for SSM, have a Labor govt*... The coffee isn't poo poo anymore... SMALL BARS?

Except for the whole second worst state on LGBTI rights, but at least WA doesn't still have the gay panic defense.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Christ, Danby will have a field day with that.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Yeah, whoever did that needs to be named, shamed, and kicked out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

I don't think attacking Israel is the way either. Attack their policies but don't attack "Israel" because it's always perceived as attacking Jews.

So is attacking their policies though. For a bunch of reasons, discussing Israel is political poison, and I feel that's a major reason why so little progress has been made. It doesn't help that actual, dedicated anti-semites and nazis keep popping up in the conversation to remind everyone why Israel is a little leary of criticism.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Also, I really have never understood the anti-Semite thing. Even if you're just against Isreali policy and actions on Palestine (which fair deal if you are because they're pretty lovely tbh) how the gently caress do you conflate that Jewish people in Australia are responsible for that? Or is this some kind of older "All Jewish people are conniving gold hoarders" crap?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

Also, I really have never understood the anti-Semite thing. Even if you're just against Isreali policy and actions on Palestine (which fair deal if you are because they're pretty lovely tbh) how the gently caress do you conflate that Jewish people in Australia are responsible for that? Or is this some kind of older "All Jewish people are conniving gold hoarders" crap?

yes, yes it is

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
*reads Protocols of the Elders of Avshalom*

*begins to dance*

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

my breasts

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It’s not helped by either side, you have some actual anti-semites, but that feeds into hardcore zionists claiming anyone who doesn’t give full throated support to the eradication of Palestine being part of the SS.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That's why it is important to call out the crap when it emerges, because otherwise any legitimate criticism you make emboldens them.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Don Dongington posted:

also our film festivals aren't run by fascists

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Really getting the impression that NSW and Vic are a hotbed for fascists

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Recoome posted:

Really getting the impression that NSW and Vic are a hotbed for fascists

I've noticed a fair bit of it coming out of SA, but that may be annecdotal.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Recoome posted:

Really getting the impression that Australia is a hotbed for fascists
ftfy

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Maybe, just maybe, Australia is poo poo.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the more progressive, inclusive states generate the motivation for backlash from the small number of fascist/bigot/whatevers

In Queensland they figure what's the point?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

Maybe the more progressive, inclusive states generate the motivation for backlash from the small number of fascist/bigot/whatevers

In Queensland they figure what's the point?
It's party that, Victoria got such a large counter-reaction because of a lot of recent legislation that was proposed or passed but it's also a population thing too. When you've got over 50% of the countries population in two states, you're going to see a lot more numbers in those sorts of groups too.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i give deep-throated support to palestinian liberty

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I think it has to do with critical mass. Like if it's you and 5 guys in Townsville, you're probably not going to be vocal. If it's you and 50 guys in the inner fringe of Melbourne, you probably will be. And if you're those 5 guys in Townsville, who knows. You might decide to look to move to Melbourne and get involved with all that.

I know a lot of the "Melbourne set up" probably coalesced around the Bendigo Mosque protests and there were probably people from the rest of Australia there who might've come back to Melbourne to try and get a big win.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I don't think there's been a Cronulla riots situation in Queensland yet has there?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Also for a lot of the UPF style rallies down here they would also fly in people from out of state to speak too.

Also there's not point rallying for that kind of thing in Queensland where most people already agree with it.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
hahah with their anti-freedom of association laws and similar fascism intended to crush bikie gangs, I reckon such a thing would last 2 minutes before the jackboots started cracking skulls and deploying gas.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Also wearing a lot of black and standing around on a corner in Qld loving sucks, just ask goths

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

thatbastardken posted:

Also wearing a lot of black and standing around on a corner in Qld loving sucks, just ask goths
It doesn't stop them, though. Hanging out in KGS in all black just shows how lost these people truly are.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
a few years ago i moved from sydney to a small country town and got a job as marketing manager at a real estate agency, and the director would just straight-up say to me "you understand we're just trying to make a profit here, you know how important that is, it's your culture", but not in a way that involved any negative feeling toward me whatsoever like they genuinely thought of me as this magical wealth elf that frolics through life bathed in a never-ending rain of golden coins from heaven. then they wouldn't let me actually do anything so i think they just thought having a jew sitting in their office would naturally bring fortune, like a lucky cat statuette

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

CrazyTolradi posted:

Yes. But also a concerted effort to conflate Israel with Jewish people in general by right-wing Israel supporters. You can't link two things explicitly to protect one from attack and then be surprised when people attack the other thing. Not that right wingers ever thought anything through to the logical outcome.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

noyes posted:

a few years ago i moved from sydney to a small country town and got a job as marketing manager at a real estate agency, and the director would just straight-up say to me "you understand we're just trying to make a profit here, you know how important that is, it's your culture", but not in a way that involved any negative feeling toward me whatsoever like they genuinely thought of me as this magical wealth elf that frolics through life bathed in a never-ending rain of golden coins from heaven. then they wouldn't let me actually do anything so i think they just thought having a jew sitting in their office would naturally bring fortune, like a lucky cat statuette

holy poo poo, I can't imagine saying something like that to anyone, negative feeling or not

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

noyes posted:

Please tell me they'd wheel you out in front of particular clients just so they could say "and this is our associate, Mr Goldberg".

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i couldn't even be offended, i was just like haha ok i love gold

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
then i left the agency and ran a jewellery shop in the town for a year

JBP posted:

Please tell me they'd wheel you out in front of particular clients just so they could say "and this is our associate, Mr Goldberg".
i was not allowed to be seen by the clients, i was in a fully walled-off office out the back and only permitted to emerge for my lunch break

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
It's kinda amazing how catholics banning usury amongst their followers and also banning Jewish people from all kinds of work and land ownership set up this jews love money meme for literal centuries.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the only reason i was in the town in the first place was because a (gentile) local friend told me it had "lots of jews" as evidenced by its large jewish section in the cemetery. just before leaving i checked the cemetery and there was not a single jewish name in the place. i was lied to

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

noyes posted:

the only reason i was in the town in the first place was because a (gentile) local friend told me it had "lots of jews" as evidenced by its large jewish section in the cemetery. just before leaving i checked the cemetery and there was not a single jewish name in the place. i was lied to

Hey man come to our town we got loads of Jews!

Dead ones that is.

I mean in retrospect you should have been suspicious.

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
aussie wasps often don't realise this, but people in this country will say to your face completely unprovoked "i understand that [negative thing] is part of your culture!" and then just stand there gazing intently into your eyes waiting for you to congratulate them on how tolerant they are

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

cohsae posted:

Hey man come to our town we got loads of Jews!

Dead ones that is.

I mean in retrospect you should have been suspicious.
dead people are still people, friend

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

This story is one of some truly weird rear end discrimination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noyes
Nov 10, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

noyes posted:

aussie wasps often don't realise this, but people in this country will say to your face completely unprovoked "i understand that [negative thing] is part of your culture!" and then just stand there gazing intently into your eyes waiting for you to congratulate them on how tolerant they are
and if you don't congratulate them, they write an angry letter to the telegraph

• Locked thread