Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Flip Flappers was cool but entirely too happy to get close to my top ten. I need depression.

Turn off your monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:thunk:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Droyer posted:

Turn off your monitor.

lol

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Sakurazuka posted:

Flip Flappers was cool but entirely too happy to get close to my top ten. I need depression.

You need to flip flapping

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anime that deals with serious personal stuff and ends it on a positive note is cool imo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
madoka is my favorite magical girl show but i don't like calling it the 'best' with the pretense attached to it. it just meant the most to me when i needed it, series and movie both.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

anime that deals with serious personal stuff and ends it on a positive note is cool imo

I prefer it when everyone dies

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Happy endings are the only good endings

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dying is sick

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

whether dead or alive, anime that make me cry are good

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I respect Madoka and think it’s an amazing story but as a fan of happy traditional magical girl shows it just rubs me the wrong way too much. I could never bring myself to watch it a second time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I wouldn't watch it a second time... I'd watch the movies instead

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I loved flip flappers and hated akame ga kill.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

d e c o n s t r u c t i o n

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i'm sorry for being hidoi snail

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Here I am watching all the OVAs I can find from the 80s and 90s, while you all are arguing over moe.

Besides if its about moe then there is only one that can be at the top.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Getsuya posted:

I respect Madoka and think it’s an amazing story but as a fan of happy traditional magical girl shows it just rubs me the wrong way too much. I could never bring myself to watch it a second time.

i dunno about that much because a ton of magical girl shows use themes of darkness and suffering as a foil to light and happiness in pretty realistic and meaningful ways and madoka is pretty inspired by those concepts. one of the sailor senshi's powers is predicated on complete destruction of civilizations, worlds, possibly solar systems and the gravity of this is fundamental to her character growth. and in works like Rayearth and Tutu i'd say the girls in the role of the antagonist were the most human and sympathetically written characters and brought about endings that i might not describe as 'traditionally happy' .

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Here I am watching all the OVAs I can find from the 80s and 90s, while you all are arguing over moe.

Besides if its about moe then there is only one that can be at the top.

I love Daizaburo "Eddie" Baaaaaaan.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

don't the precures stay fairly light hearted?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Space Flower posted:

i dunno about that much because a ton of magical girl shows use themes of darkness and suffering as a foil to light and happiness in pretty realistic and meaningful ways and madoka is pretty inspired by those concepts. one of the sailor senshi's powers is predicated on complete destruction of civilizations, worlds, possibly solar systems and the gravity of this is fundamental to her character growth. and in works like Rayearth and Tutu i'd say the girls in the role of the antagonist were the most human and sympathetically written characters and brought about endings that i might not describe as 'traditionally happy' .

We’re talking about different magical girl shows here. I agree completely that Madoka isn’t the only one with these kinds of themes or with characters who don’t make it. But the magical girl shows I like are like Onegai My Melody, Hime-chan’s Ribbon or Jewel Pet. They’re all feel good all the time and I watch them pretty much for that reason. Like I said I think Madoka has great writing but it tramples on a few staples of the genre that I can’t enjoy seeing trampled.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle posted:

don't the precures stay fairly light hearted?

they can get pretty serious when they dip into personal stuff but yeah they don't get actively crushing

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Rebellion killed a lot of my passion for Madoka, honestly.

you suck

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the epic "rebellion ruined my enjoyment" meme

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwILvOGykjo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Getsuya posted:

We’re talking about different magical girl shows here. I agree completely that Madoka isn’t the only one with these kinds of themes or with characters who don’t make it. But the magical girl shows I like are like Onegai My Melody, Hime-chan’s Ribbon or Jewel Pet. They’re all feel good all the time and I watch them pretty much for that reason. Like I said I think Madoka has great writing but it tramples on a few staples of the genre that I can’t enjoy seeing trampled.

yeah that's a fine view,, i talked a bit around you since i'm conditioned to see that angle when people address madoka in contrast to "traditional magical girls"

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

dogsicle posted:

whether dead or alive, anime that make me cry are good

This 1000x over.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

The epic "contrary opinions are memes" meme

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAwen6QXyG4

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

The epic cake attack meme

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the epic

The Colonel posted:

Cake Attack posted:

Aurora posted:

The epic cake attack meme

meme

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

How new we talking? If we keep it to this season then I'm really enjoying Girls' Last Tour, Ancient Magus' Bride, Konohana Kitan, and Dragon Ball Super. Earlier in the year had stuff like Made In Abyss, Symphogear, Dragon Maid, New Game, new My Hero Academia...lots of good stuff this year.

I forgot about the new Season of Hero guess I will watch that. Is Made In Abyss only on amazon right now?

Also what is this one

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/taptroupe/status/930632029246328832

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Jarogue posted:

I forgot about the new Season of Hero guess I will watch that. Is Made In Abyss only on amazon right now?

Also what is this one

it's Land of the Lustrous. on Amazon this season, or :filez:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I like it when things get depressing if they then follow up by getting inspiring.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I like bittersweet things

and other things too.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jarogue posted:

Also what is this one

There's a handful of really good stuff tucked away on amazon right now: the already mentioned MiA and LoL, but also Princess Principal.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Jarogue posted:

I have been busy with games this year, what new anime came out that is good?

comedies: mahoujin guru guru, konosuba
action: princess principal, symphogear azx, (my hero)|(little witch) academia
baguettes & cigarettes: ACCA & that one episode of Centaur's Worries where they go to the art museum

also land of the lustrous, but that's still ongoing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Honestly everyone needs to watch Magical Circle Guru Guru. It's like a high-speed, hilarious, heart-felt send up of your favorite classic RPG games and is also cute, action packed and funny as hell.

• Locked thread