Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Same here. Orville is just good solid fun in the sense that it isn't what everyone was expecting after years of low-effort comedy (that Seth isn't working on anymore anyway ) but instead just tries to do its own thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's not that it is an amazing show, it's that expectations were real low. If you go in expecting 'Family Guy in Space' it surprises you. The first 4 or so episodes are a bit rough, but better than anyone was expecting.

And then it gets better. They start respecting the audience to remember Alara is strong, so they don't need to contrive a reason for her to 'open a jar of pickles' every episode. In a couple other episodes strange things are going on and Alara has to figure it out using her brains, not her crazy strength, showing that she is actually qualified to be a security officer. Then they have an episode featuring the doctor and the robot, an actual ensemble cast and not just the Captain Seth show!

But in the end it's not going to blow your socks off or change your life. It is more like TNG than Voyager, Enterprise, or Discovery though. The closest thing to "more TNG" that we've had so far.

I really like the episode with Claire and Isaac, because there's no mulling over "oh I must not harm someone because I am a Doctor" issues for Claire to deal with. Crazy Survivalist gets between her and her kids, crazy survivalist is taking a loving dirt nap.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I really wish whoever did the Orville scores would do scores for Discovery.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That episode is such a loving whiplash rollercoaster of tone from start to finish.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

showing that she is actually qualified to be a security officer.

She's not qualified though. She was put on the fast track because Xelayan's are under represented in the fleet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Isaac is really cool. You would expect a Data ripoff and trying to learn to be human, but he has no desire for that. He's from a completely synthetic race that considers itself far superior to organics and is merely trying to catalog their nuanced social interactions to report back. He has emotions. He's matter of fact about his being superior but other than that extremely nice and helpful. If I had to be trapped with an Android I'd pick Isaac over Data.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Isaac is really cool. You would expect a Data ripoff and trying to learn to be human, but he has no desire for that. He's from a completely synthetic race that considers itself far superior to organics and is merely trying to catalog their nuanced social interactions to report back. He has emotions. He's matter of fact about his being superior but other than that extremely nice and helpful. If I had to be trapped with an Android I'd pick Isaac over Data.
yeah but does Issac have a fully functional robot dick?

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Everyone knows that Isaac is going to eventually be like, "I guess organic species aren't so limited after all, it is we who are inferior" so it would be funny if at the end he was like, "we were right. You guys all suck. We knew it going in, and our suspicions are 100% confirmed. Peace out bitches".

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Gay engineer has warg eyes in trek

He's the three eyed raven

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And pulled the greatest practical joke in Galactic history.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Everyone knows that Isaac is going to eventually be like, "I guess organic species aren't so limited after all, it is we who are inferior" so it would be funny if at the end he was like, "we were right. You guys all suck. We knew it going in, and our suspicions are 100% confirmed. Peace out bitches".

I think it would be more "Your people are more resourceful than we had imagined. It has been decided that you are a threat to us. Our fleet is heading towards Earth."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jim Barris posted:

yeah but does Issac have a fully functional robot dick?

He offered to attempt mating with the super strong girl when she was complaining the men on the ship were insecure about dating a strong woman. He said he would be happy to assist her.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really like the episode with Claire and Isaac, because there's no mulling over "oh I must not harm someone because I am a Doctor" issues for Claire to deal with. Crazy Survivalist gets between her and her kids, crazy survivalist is taking a loving dirt nap.

Honestly, the more I think about it, that's probably my favorite episode so far. It had some great, and well-earned character development from everyone, including Claire's kids, who hadn't shown up yet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Honestly, the more I think about it, that's probably my favorite episode so far. It had some great, and well-earned character development from everyone, including Claire's kids, who hadn't shown up yet.

It's really hard to make children not-annoying onscreen and they nailed it down somehow so that in and of itself is impressive

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Monkey Fracas posted:

It's really hard to make children not-annoying onscreen and they nailed it down somehow so that in and of itself is impressive

I'll admit I thought they were slightly annoying before the plot hook kicked in. In retrospect it's because I'm old now and I was probably feeling the same thing that my parents felt when we drove to the Grand Canyon :negative:

Although I had a Game Gear at the time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I have wanted to sleet shoot my kids tablet/ds from time to time.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Iron Crowned posted:

I'll admit I thought they were slightly annoying before the plot hook kicked in. In retrospect it's because I'm old now and I was probably feeling the same thing that my parents felt when we drove to the Grand Canyon :negative:

Although I had a Game Gear at the time.

Eh I dunno, I kinda remember being bored/annoyed with sibling squabbling scenes when I was younger too. But then, I was an only child.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He offered to attempt mating with the super strong girl when she was complaining the men on the ship were insecure about dating a strong woman. He said he would be happy to assist her.

Sounds like you're assuming Isaac needs to have a penis in order to sexually satisfy her. :colbert:

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

No idea if this actually counts as a spoiler but the end of the Harry Mudd episode where he walks away from the mirror and his reflection doesn’t creeped me the gently caress out.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

http://crunchsmag.com/sir-patrick-stewart-reveals-he-uses-marijuana-every-day-it-helps/

Which TNG cast member do you think smoked him out first? It almost has to be Brent Spiner, right?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

http://crunchsmag.com/sir-patrick-stewart-reveals-he-uses-marijuana-every-day-it-helps/

Which TNG cast member do you think smoked him out first? It almost has to be Brent Spiner, right?

Computer increase ambient THC levels by 420%

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Computer: blunt, Purple Kush, dank

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Tea, Earl Grey, Pot

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

*beams up a shitload of weed*

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

And this wasn't immediately posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3zQWAAQ3E

Also Stewart one day totally walked up to Frakes and was like "what the hell is that smell is tha-"

Frakes: (poo poo eating grin)

double e: Wait is trump lover the new default newbie icon? Shrug.

revwinnebago fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 18, 2017

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

My major problem with the happenings in STD (lol) is that I can't actually bring myself to worry about whether gay engineer is going to live or not, because rightly or wrongly I feel no studio is going to kill off the guy who Kevin Spacey molested.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

just wanna give a shout out to romulan imposter geordi

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Kitchner posted:

My major problem with the happenings in STD (lol) is that I can't actually bring myself to worry about whether gay engineer is going to live or not, because rightly or wrongly I feel no studio is going to kill off the guy who Kevin Spacey molested.

They probably finished shooting the season before that came out. I'd expect him to live though just because he's the best actor they have. Although his speech about "Oh baby we're gonna finally take that vacation when we get home" reminded me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JkBKGttM_U

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

They probably finished shooting the season before that came out. I'd expect him to live though just because he's the best actor they have.

He really is,isnt he.

Wow,I hope Michelle Yeoh made bank from this. I was mad because shes not in it,but maybe she knew and got out before her name got attached too much. Smart lady.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

He really is,isnt he.

Wow,I hope Michelle Yeoh made bank from this. I was mad because shes not in it,but maybe she knew and got out before her name got attached too much. Smart lady.

Its quite clear from the plot elements that Michelle Yeoh will be back as her character is operating in deep cover as the pale rapist Klingon woman that got shot in the face.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i wonder what would actually be considered rape in klingon culture.

i wonder if anyone ever asked michael down that at a con

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I assume every Klingon woman is packing a variety of knives.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

(worf to tasha yar) klingons do not rape in gangs

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm almost positive there's a joke where Lursa or B'Tor has a ridiculous amount of weapons on her she has to hand over at some point.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I'm almost positive there's a joke where Lursa or B'Tor has a ridiculous amount of weapons on her she has to hand over at some point.

you're confused between an episode of ds9 where they hand over their lasers and a cut scene from road rash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkwGBVDOj4Y

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq--B2J3OIY

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
This is how I imagine every Klingon rolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTrXpDK_EYE

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PostNouveau posted:

This is how I imagine every Klingon rolls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTrXpDK_EYE

:allears:

I can't decide if I'm the old timey dueling pistol or the full length shotgun in his pants.

I'd love to see another klingon do the shoe gun thing again.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ah yes, the humans. Hillbillies of the galaxy.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The General posted:

Ah yes, the humans. Hillbillies of the galaxy.

Yeah, 23rd century humans so tied to religion, clan feuds, dustbowl farm strife, chasing the gubmint off their land, building contraptions out of wood, clinging to memories lost wars and terrible local alcohol.

Totally describing humans there and not say.... loving Bajorans instead.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

Yeah, 23rd century humans so tied to religion, clan feuds, dustbowl farm strife, chasing the gubmint off their land, building contraptions out of wood, clinging to memories lost wars and terrible local alcohol.

Totally describing humans there and not say.... loving Bajorans instead.

it's from the orville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The General posted:

it's from the orville

I take any chance I can to get one in on the bajorans and I don't mind crossing series to get there.