Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Drunken Baker posted:

On the front of the newspaper today (Star, i think?) it was saying something about there being an outcry over Apu being racist or something? God knows I'm not touching a tabloid, but does anyone know what that's all about?

There's a documentary coming out about apu and how various Indian American actors view him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah basically Hank Azaria has gotten away with his massive racist stereotype character for years and people like the guy from Harold & Kumar and Aziz Ansari grew up wanting to be actors and were like “what the gently caress and this guy isn’t even Indian!?”.

Imagine if, during seasons 2-9, Carl was always depicted with an afro, eating fried chicken and talking about Soul Train. We’ve basically let Apu go on way too long

Hmm I just realized the Simpsons have no Asian character that I can discern, or they certainly didn’t during the Golden Years

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

Cookie Kwan is the only Asian character I can remember off the top of my head from back in the day.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah basically Hank Azaria has gotten away with his massive racist stereotype character for years and people like the guy from Harold & Kumar and Aziz Ansari grew up wanting to be actors and were like “what the gently caress and this guy isn’t even Indian!?”.

Imagine if, during seasons 2-9, Carl was always depicted with an afro, eating fried chicken and talking about Soul Train. We’ve basically let Apu go on way too long

Hmm I just realized the Simpsons have no Asian character that I can discern, or they certainly didn’t during the Golden Years

They have Akira

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Akira

Also voiced by Hank Azaria

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

p. nice Wolf Parade ref posted:

Cookie Kwan is the only Asian character I can remember off the top of my head from back in the day.

Yeah, that's the only reoccurring Asian I can think of offhand.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

the sushi restaurant dude was also quite a stereotype

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
It’s actually pretty outrageous how the stereotypical racist caricatures haven’t been slowly phased out

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

I think Apu was originally just written as "convenience store clerk" and wasn't actually supposed to be Indian but Azaria just did the accent and they all went yeah sure lets go for it i guess

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Riptor posted:

I think Apu was originally just written as "convenience store clerk" and wasn't actually supposed to be Indian but Azaria just did the accent and they all went yeah sure lets go for it i guess

It was 1990, they wouldn’t have named him Apu if not for the jokes

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

It was 1990, they wouldn’t have named him Apu if not for the jokes

No I mean in the original script he was just "Convenience Store Clerk", then Azaria did the voice, then they named him Apu

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Originally, it was thought that Apu being Indian was too offensive and stereotyped, but after Azaria's reading of the line "Hello, Mr. Homer", which the show's producers thought was hilarious, the character stayed

Riptor fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 16, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Riptor posted:

Yes a character named Apu Nahasapeemapetilon that runs a convenience store and was created in the 80's wasn't meant to be a stereotype

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh poo poo that's what I get for having to stop to Google the correct spelling of Nahasapeemapetilon

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

54 40 or gently caress posted:

It’s actually pretty outrageous how the stereotypical racist caricatures haven’t been slowly phased out

I have asked you nicely to phase out the stereotypes! You leave me no choice but to ask you nicely again!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I guess it's alright because I'm part Italian, but I always get a kick out of the Italian restaurant guy and how he would immediately bad mouth his customers when yelling to his chef.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Fox wants their $300K worth of Hank Azaria per episode okay?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JazzFlight posted:

I guess it's alright because I'm part Italian, but I always get a kick out of the Italian restaurant guy and how he would immediately bad mouth his customers when yelling to his chef.

That was a solid gag they haven't done in, like, 15 years.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

PostNouveau posted:

At least they don't do any funny callbacks out of respect for the good seasons :v:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PostNouveau posted:

Good thing I stop at season 10. :regd13:

BTW, rewatching season 2 now and these episodes are real tear-jerkers. Absolutely top-notch writing, acting, and music. Also, there are some amazing shots here that needed serious storyboarding to pull off, something that modern Simpsons just bails on.

I checked out about 3 mins of a recent show and each cut was like 20-30 seconds long with digital zooms instead of changing backgrounds. The characters would just turn to face the camera if they needed to have a back-and-forth conversation. Super lazy.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do they still do a lot of Apu episodes since he had kids? I thought I read here that they don’t use him as much anymore. I know there was that terrible sounding episode of him cheating on his wife.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

JazzFlight posted:

Good thing I stop at season 10. :regd13:

BTW, rewatching season 2 now and these episodes are real tear-jerkers. Absolutely top-notch writing, acting, and music. Also, there are some amazing shots here that needed serious storyboarding to pull off, something that modern Simpsons just bails on.

Really have to agree with this. They weren't going so hard on the comedy angle, but they really hit pathos out of the park in some of these ones. Bart Gets an F gave me flashbacks to elementary school when I watched it for the first time as an adult. Lisa's Substitute makes me tear up if I have a beer or two in me

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It's a good thing irony has killed and eaten sentiment, so we don't have to worry about such things from modern shows.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Really have to agree with this. They weren't going so hard on the comedy angle, but they really hit pathos out of the park in some of these ones. Bart Gets an F gave me flashbacks to elementary school when I watched it for the first time as an adult. Lisa's Substitute makes me tear up if I have a beer or two in me

The credits sequence of Homer's mom's episode loving destroys me

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I just finished rewatching the poison fugu episode and when Homer fearfully blurts out to "Marge, I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!" and they have tears streaming down their faces, I'm like HOLY poo poo even while knowing he's obviously not dying. And then he reconnects with his dad and they say they love each other and he puts off his other bucket list items... and this is freakin' joke character Grandpa Simpson!

The actors actually gave a crap then too, which really helped sell the scenes.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

JazzFlight posted:

I just finished rewatching the poison fugu episode and when Homer fearfully blurts out to "Marge, I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!" and they have tears streaming down their faces, I'm like HOLY poo poo even while knowing he's obviously not dying. And then he reconnects with his dad and they say they love each other and he puts off his other bucket list items... and this is freakin' joke character Grandpa Simpson!

Don't worry, I've rewritten it to make it a better tonal fit for the later seasons.

Tree Goat fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 8, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

JazzFlight posted:

The scene when Marge thinks he’s dead in the morning still gets me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JazzFlight posted:

its why simpsonswave works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCb3rblTEds

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
hi everybody. i have never watched the simpsons. we didnt have cable when i grew up, just a rusty aerial that changed channels every time there was a windstorm. with that in mind, i would like to know where i should begin and where i should end. i dont really want to watch early episodes that develop the characters bc i have soaked in enough simpsons by proxy to understand that. please tell me when the peak begins + ends. god bless each and every one of you

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Are you idiots actually getting upset about Apu

maybe they'll principal and the pauper him and retcon him as just really tanned

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

your friend a dog posted:

hi everybody. i have never watched the simpsons. we didnt have cable when i grew up, just a rusty aerial that changed channels every time there was a windstorm. with that in mind, i would like to know where i should begin and where i should end. i dont really want to watch early episodes that develop the characters bc i have soaked in enough simpsons by proxy to understand that. please tell me when the peak begins + ends. god bless each and every one of you

seasons 1-8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfa-9aCTYg

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

seasons 1-8

can i skip season 1

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

your friend a dog posted:

can i skip season 1

I wouldn't season 1 is funny. Bart the general and the RV episode are both great.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Nonviolent J posted:

South Park did it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Season 1 IS funny, but their voices aren’t there yet and the animation is visually very grating. I only rewatch it with friends and skip it for personal rewatches.

My recommendation is 2-10, 9 is the beginning of the end but looking at it 10 still has a few that I’d consider classics.

But regardless, you are guaranteed ‘perfect simpsons’ from at least 2-8

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

The episodes I'd recommend from Season 1 are:

1 - Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire
Really solid, heartwarming episode where they introduce Santa's Little Helper.
2 - Bart the Genius
Some nice bonding scenes between Bart and Homer.
4 - There's No Disgrace Like Home
The episode where the family keeps shocking each other and paradoxically bonds over their dysfunction.
5 - Moaning Lisa
Great scene at the end where Marge tells Lisa to smile no matter how bad she's feeling, but when she sees Lisa's friends being little shits to her, immediately apologizes.
8 - The Telltale Head
Introduces a bunch of characters for the first time and shows that Bart has a conscience.
9 - Life on the Fast Lane
Great episode for Marge and Homer's relationship.
12 - Krusty Gets Busted
The origin for Sideshow Bob's obsession with killing Bart.

Basically, I'm a sucker for any tear-jerky scenes where the family realizes they love each other. It really flies in the face of George Bush complaining that he wished families were more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Nonviolent J posted:

They already retconned black Smithers from the first episode he was in :ohdear:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
4-7 are the pure laffs

Include 1-3 if you have an appreciation for melancholy humour/some actual character drama

8-10 are watchable but cynical in a different way than the first 3 seasons

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JazzFlight posted:

Basically, I'm a sucker for any tear-jerky scenes where the family realizes they love each other. It really flies in the face of George Bush complaining that he wished families were more like the Waltons and less like the Simpsons.

The Simpsons was the opposite of all TV families at the time which is why it was so controversial then. It didn't matter that they functioned the way a real family would, they portrayed Bart back talking his parents and Homer not going to church on Sunday, therefore they were the most vile show on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

The Simpsons was the opposite of all TV families at the time which is why it was so controversial then. It didn't matter that they functioned the way a real family would, they portrayed Bart back talking his parents and Homer not going to church on Sunday, therefore they were the most vile show on TV.

Married w/ Children was definitely worse and more reviled by the religious right. My very earliest memory of Ann Coulter is of her in her 20’s complaining about MwC trying to get in pulled from Fox and my mom just snorting and going “Man, what a bitch”.

The only other TV family that wasn’t all lovey dovey was Roseanne, and surprising no one, MwC, Roseanne and the Simpsons are all S-their 90’z comedy