Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Zwabu posted:

So is it as simple as having the driver cite this case in court?

Apparently he was arrested not for the sticker, but for an outstanding warrant. IANAL but if I were I would look into whether there is some malicious prosecution or similar claim he could bring since it appears he may have been targeted because of the sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Kubrick posted:

Ignore biology.
Ignore history.
Remake humanity.

Are you role-playing as a well-meaning scientist in a Black Mirror episode?

I mean I'd be down with those things, but you can read a book too!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mangosteen rinds have this weird red juice in them (the juice of the actual fruit inside is clear, oddly) and the easiest way to open them by hand is to squeeze the rind until it splits which is messy as fuuuuuuuck and stains real bad so hotels don't want you doing it.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Statements like "destroy Heterosexuality", while fine from an academic standpoint are super easy to misinterpret when presented to the layman, especially when the far right floats around ideas like "the left wants to force us all to gay marry".

You might be correct, but it's still bad optics to risk that type of confusion when engaging with the general public.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's mostly the zero content posts and constant woke Olympics. People don't mind hearing your opinions when they're presented in conversational style but they are tired of the mod who picks slap fights every five pages.

From a while ago but mostly this.

KM manages to embody so well the entirety of the atheism subreddit but about social justice instead of no God.

And yes I'm expecting a real good gif response to this so please choose one of your premium gifs.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 17, 2017

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Aramis posted:

Statements like "destroy Heterosexuality", while fine from an academic standpoint are super easy to misinterpret when presented to the layman, especially when the far right floats around ideas like "the left wants to force us all to gay marry".

You might be correct, but it's still bad optics to risk that type of confusion when engaging with the general public.

Good thing this is a discussion forum and not a public ad campaign.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

n-notice me km-sempai

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aramis posted:

Same reason I don't go around talking about "toxic masculinity." To the uninitiated, it sounds a lot like that term means "masculinity is bad."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

Mangosteen rinds have this weird red juice in them (the juice of the actual fruit inside is clear, oddly) and the easiest way to open them by hand is to squeeze the rind until it splits which is messy as fuuuuuuuck and stains real bad so hotels don't want you doing it.

Huh. The more you know.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Have we talked about the Keystone XL pipeline rupturing yet? Before they could even finish building it!

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leak/index.html

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Private jet owners are SO persecuted by the IRS: https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/931279048998899712

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Believe me she doesn't need you to white knight her, she is a strong independent lady.

Kubrick
Jul 20, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Do you still believe that #AllLivesMatter?

I never said that or even spoke on the issue. You are welcome to take a look at my history. I figured I rubbed someone the wrong way and they wanted to tag me with an unpopular idea. Was it you?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Another tweet pointed out this beside the fact that the current draft of the bill eliminates a tax break for teachers buying school supplies for their students.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

Is your username based on the amazing Pakistani pop group?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Knifegrab posted:

Believe me she doesn't need you to white knight her, she is a strong independent lady.

like....what are you even doing rn lol

her big posting crime today was....talking about consent?

that’s offensive to you????

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

The other important thing about the bumper sticker kerfluffle was that supposedly the sheriff wanted to talk to the driver out of concern that someone else would get pissed about it and attack her. Which still smells like weasel words to me but eh, at least she wasn't just thrown in jail for insulting the president or whatever. God knows I've seen enough stickers that I could argue were at least as offensive to me, and I'm sure there were some doozies floating around about Obama.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

Have we talked about the Keystone XL pipeline rupturing yet? Before they could even finish building it!

Is there much to say? (If there is more I'd like to hear it) My understanding is that the thing everyone was saying was gonna happen happened, and it's gonna take a while to clean up, and now I'm sad.

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

So like I took a couple minutes away from this and maybe I shouldn't have been flippant, but you kid of met effort with no effort, here. Okay, you're coming from a place where you haven't thought much about sexuality and gender I guess? But these are not particularly controversial statements if you've studied even a little bit of sociology or gender studies or queer theory, but you seem to be taking this pretty personally, so in the interest of good faith I'll give one good shot at this. The fact that you don't see heterosexuality as a system or a culture is exactly the problem, as far as I'm concerned.

I do tend to take personal insults personally. Weird, huh? Sort of like the not at all sly one you included in this point.

That said, I got about halfway through a reply here before realizing that I was just repeating what I'd said in the first place, so I'll summarize it for you one more time and leave it at that. Using 'heterosexuality' as a catch all word is problematic because it carries a bunch of issues:

1. Most people who read you saying things like 'Heterosexuality should be destroyed' are going to treat you as a nutjob, because the common use of heterosexuality is different than the way you are using it. This is not meant to be an insult, but to help you, and the fact that you had to clarify yourself should have been your first hint. As the person attempting to impart your beliefs, it is up to you, not the reader, to speak in a way that will be understood.

2. The point of my example was to show you that if someone said 'Homosexuality and all its norms should be destroyed', that would be viewed as an incredibly hostile statement. Again, if you are attempting to get your point across, there are better ways than something that a large part of the world's population would view as an insult.

I don't even disagree with the majority of your viewpoint, though I think a goal of 'tear down all human cultural history' is a little ridiculous. I just think you're expressing them poorly.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 17, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

stone cold posted:

like....what are you even doing rn lol

her big posting crime today was....talking about consent?

that’s offensive to you????

:captainpop:

Octatonic posted:

Is there much to say? (If there is more I'd like to hear it) My understanding is that the thing everyone was saying was gonna happen happened, and it's gonna take a while to clean up, and now I'm sad.

Honestly this could be applied to pretty much everything that has happened since trump :(

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Octatonic posted:

There is still a huge lobby effort in the states that still have pipeline scheduled to be built to push on despite this.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

There is still a huge lobby effort in the states that still have pipeline scheduled to be built to push on despite this.

Is that news? I thought I'd heard that it was all back on earlier this year. Maybe I'm remembering some other ill fated infrastructure project. Guess I should go read some more and get mad again.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Aramis posted:

God help us if Fox News starts data mining Something Awful Dot Com.

It would take them a month to chew through Lowtax's dead baby saga before they found D&D

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Holy poo poo, all the sexual assault allegations this week made everyone go smooth-brained. This poo poo should be obvious.

- Taking a picture of yourself pretending to grope a sleeping woman is bad because sexual harassment isn't funny and only sexist assholes think it is funny.

- Just because Al Franken was a sexist rear end in a top hat 10 years ago doesn't mean he's still a sexist rear end in a top hat today. You don't need to burn his books in effigy and you can still think he's an okay guy who's done lots of good things. His apology was a step in the right direction.

- He should probably still resign because holy poo poo does that look bad.

- Roy Moore was and still is a sexist rear end in a top hat.

- People can have different ideas of what is romantic and should make those ideas clear on a date because figuring out compatibility is what dates are for. I like when women make the first move, so I say that on or before the date so I'm not wasting my time.

- If you want a notarized affidavit before your date goes in for a kiss, loving say that upfront. Nobody is gonna read your drat mind and communication is a two way street. It is your responsibility to communicate this!

- If your date hasn't said one way or another, maybe try reading body language. Nobody is going to mace you or accuse you of sexual harassment for leaning in for a kiss on a date if you're not being a creep about it. It is usually obvious when someone is into you, unless one or both of you is a robot.

- This does not mean to take anything. Leaning in is a non-verbal way of asking! Let them have the decision!

- However, if you are a robot or it is not PLAINLY OBVIOUS that the other person wants to keep going, you NEED to ask verbally (although you might blow your cover as a robot). It is, again, your responsibility to keep the line of communication open.

- If you're at a party and worried about consent, don't get drunk and don't sleep with drunk people. You can still consent after a beer or two and it's your goddamn responsibility to tell the difference between someone who had a drink or two and someone who is shitfaced.

- In fact, don't get drunk at all because sleeping with someone you didn't mean to is far from the worst case scenario and it's bad for your liver anyways.

- Signaling what you want to happen or not happen is always your responsibility! Do not rely on the other person to ask or read your mind. This is true for both sides! Never assume someone is going to ask you and never assume an answer is yes. There are completely non verbal ways of doing all of this but if you don't know what those are or your date is staring at you like a flashing terminal cursor, then just use words.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 17, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TildeATH posted:

Is your username based on the amazing Pakistani pop group?

On an album from 80s one-hit wonder band Survivor, but I will listen to this Pakistani group and if they are better I'll pretend my username is that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/JamilSmith/status/931350712566497280

this is, unfortunately, probably right

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

keep talking about posters itt at your own peril. i'm not even gonna bother with punishments milder than a ban + 30 if this continues

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Furnaceface posted:

The pipeline that leaked is not the Keystone XL pipeline. The article you linked clearly states that.

quote:

The Keystone Pipeline system stretches more than 2,600 miles from Hardisty east into Manitoba and then down to Texas, according to TransCanada. The pipeline transports crude oil from Canada.

The proposed Keystone XL Pipeline, which would stretch from Hardisty down to Steele City, Nebraska, would complete the entire proposed system by cutting through Montana and South Dakota.

twice burned ice fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 17, 2017

Kale
May 14, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

It came up a while back and I thought "Ew gross" especially considering it travels through our country too. TransCanada is on the hook for this 100% too if I'm not mistaken. It's pretty goddamn bad, but I'm not even sure if this is on the part of the pipeline Trump allowed to advance or not. To be honest I thought the thing was dead when Obama rejected in a couple years back but I guess this was another case of Obama was against something so I have to be for it from Trump since he signed that in January I think.

Kale fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Nov 17, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Falling back on goon burns over consent discussions is really dumb.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/931306221843501056

This is why it DOESN'T loving MATTER whatever is done about Franken. He apologizes, he resigns, he doesn't, people attack him, people defend him. Nothing.

All you get is if he resigns the GOP will start looking at which senators with a GOP governor they can start finding any kind of poo poo about.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Motto posted:

Falling back on goon burns over consent discussions is really dumb.

Maybe it's because it's late, but I'm not following.

Also, I didn't realize we had moved on to "heterosexuality as a social structure vs. orientation."

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

fortunately I don't expect the anyone in the far right to be competent enough to make a convincing accusation and I think it would get figured out pretty quick, after which the people responsible would be turbofucked.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

I was assured in the Keystone Pipeline thread that this could never happen because of modern technology and what oil company would just throw away precious precious oil, therefore it obviously isn't happening.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

I was assured in the Keystone Pipeline thread that this could never happen because of modern technology and what oil company would just throw away precious precious oil, therefore it obviously isn't happening.

Also I'm told they have just the person to clean it up if it does.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

This was probably already posted but holy. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/931264324986986496

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cliff Notes for those that can't watch the video?

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
After all the events of the past week I've never felt more pessimistic about the future of the US. Cheer me up.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KillHour posted:

He refused to answer y/n questions about whether he assaulted women and just walked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

KillHour posted:

Moore asked for a reporter's phone number. After seeing that she was not, in fact, from the local school paper, he left in a huff.

• Locked thread