Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Links to Day 5 and the bonus card, Necromancer.

Sold on this set. Hopefully I can get people to play it!

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm going to feed my goat good cards because he deserves it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm going to let my opponents trash their goats then gain those goats then feed my goat those goats.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm trying to work out a Rats and Goat strategy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Necromancer is 4 unique cards, which is +2 on any given split pile. You would need a way to pull the Zombies out of the trash, however, which I don't think you can do on the maxed unique card board that I posted earlier.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

Necromancer is 4 unique cards, which is +2 on any given split pile. You would need a way to pull the Zombies out of the trash, however, which I don't think you can do on the maxed unique card board that I posted earlier.

Exorcist brings in all the Spirits tho, so that gives 4 unique cards, although that's only +1 since it makes Cemetery redundant.

also: wouldn't it be worth it at that point to replace the 2 split piles with Lurker + Necro for a net gain of 1? It also has the benefit of making gaining things a lot more practical to actual achieve

Guy A. Person fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Oct 27, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Does excor ist actually bring in more cards? Missed that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah it brings in all the Spirit cards, which there are 3 of. You trash a card from your hand to get a cheaper card from the Spirit pile, so you can trash Estates for Will O' Wisps right out of the gate. Each of the Spirit cards also has (at least) one other action that targets a specific one. Interestingly there are only 6 Ghosts still.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Exorcist brings in all the Spirits tho, so that gives 4 unique cards, although that's only +1 since it makes Cemetery redundant.

also: wouldn't it be worth it at that point to replace the 2 split piles with Lurker + Necro for a net gain of 1? It also has the benefit of making gaining things a lot more practical to actual achieve

Yeah, you're right, Lurker at one split pile and Necro at the other is 5 uniques compared to 4. I haven't really been factoring practicality into it, and I'm just sort of assuming that you're playing potato AI that skips each turn.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah true enough, it's not like a normal game would ever last long enough for you to get one of each Traveller on top of everything else anyway

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Or all of the knights/castles.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Given infinite time and no resistance, I wonder which alt-VP generates the most points with its entire pile (obviously tokenized VP doesn't count here, since you could play Monuments into infinity while not buying anything with those conditions). Without running any actual calculations I'd assume Gardens.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

sector_corrector posted:

Given infinite time and no resistance, I wonder which alt-VP generates the most points with its entire pile (obviously tokenized VP doesn't count here, since you could play Monuments into infinity while not buying anything with those conditions). Without running any actual calculations I'd assume Gardens.

I'd assume Vineyards outscale Gardens because Gardens cap out in the 20s and Vineyards go to the low 30s, last I checked.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Anywhere the math on those is linked? I assume Gardens is somewhat similar to Fairgrounds in that you are looking for a lot of cards that give out of supply cards, then getting everything down to 1 card left. So Marauder would be perfect again for Spoils and Ruins.

I also assume you're limiting it to 2 player games? If you go up to 6 player that effects Gardens via the Ruins and Curses.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toshimo posted:

I'd assume Vineyards outscale Gardens because Gardens cap out in the 20s and Vineyards go to the low 30s, last I checked.

Hmm, let's see... you want to drain two piles, but not three. With just base cards for 2P you have
10 Starting Cards in hand,

45 Coppers,
39 Silvers,
29 Golds,

7 Estates,
7 Duchies,
7 Provinces,

If you throw in Prosperity then you have an additonal
11 Plats,
and 7 Colonies

In terms of the Kingdom:

All Gardens, so
8 cards

If you have 1 pile be Alchemy, then you have
9 of the card itself (I don't think any one is better than another),
15 Potions

Any Looter gives you,
9 of the card itself and...
9 Ruins (although you have to give your oponent some of these if it's Marauder, so there's probably a more optimal way to do that)

Bandit Camp gives you,
9 of the card itself and...
15 Spoils (doesn't count towards piles so you can take them all)

Port gives you,
19 of itself

Rats gives you,
19 of itself

Tournament gives you
9 of the card itself,
and 5 of Prizes

That's a 270 card deck with only 6 Kingdom card piles claimed. You can throw in 4 more of any basic 10 card pile you'd like to reach another 36, and then whatever other piles you drain (which is another 2 cards) which bumps you into a ~30VP Garden.

I would need to figure out an exact number to see if 9 Curses is a net gain or not.

I think you could also put Lurker in there with Urchin / Merc., so you would get all of the Mercs and 9 Urchins, which would be a 19 card pile.

I'm pretty sure that Nocturne, with all of its supporting piles, could move that up to low 30s, so I'd say Gardens is edging into at least similar territory to Vineyard.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Port is only 12 (11 before emptying) right?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy A. Person posted:

Port is only 12 (11 before emptying) right?

Oh, yeah, you're right. So that's 8 fewer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I don't see Travellers in there, which are 29 cards each.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
And Young Witch for 9 free cards + another pile.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
But...

Young Witch
Peasant
Page
Death Cart
Rats
Port

Is 9 + 29 + 29 + 9 + 9 + 19 + 11 = 115 cards for only 5 Kingdoms. While that's 11.5 points for gardens, it's already 38.3 points for Vineyards.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, yeah to both of those. Some of the stuff I wrote earlier might be surpassed by something in Nocturne, too.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Toshimo posted:

But...

Young Witch
Peasant
Page
Death Cart
Rats
Port

Is 9 + 29 + 29 + 9 + 9 + 19 + 11 = 115 cards for only 5 Kingdoms. While that's 11.5 points for gardens, it's already 38.3 points for Vineyards.

Yea that's true, especially since Ruins are actions Vineyards is just going to keep outpacing it with every new pile of things.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's probably true.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For those who lost track; these are the Kingdom cards that have not been previewed yet, and thus are a spooky mystery for when the expansion actually launches:

Bard, Changeling, Cobbler, Conclave, Den of Sin, Guardian, Monastery, Night Watchman, Sacred Grove, Secret Cave, Tormentor, Tracker, Tragic Hero

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

For those who lost track; these are the Kingdom cards that have not been previewed yet, and thus are a spooky mystery for when the expansion actually launches:

Bard, Changeling, Cobbler, Conclave, Den of Sin, Guardian, Monastery, Night Watchman, Sacred Grove, Secret Cave, Tormentor, Tracker, Tragic Hero

Most interesting thing here is that Changeling doesn't turn into another card since extra cards are accounted for. Maybe it's another Knights/Castle-like where every card in the pile is different. Or another BoM/Overlord card.

sector_corrector posted:

Oh, yeah to both of those. Some of the stuff I wrote earlier might be surpassed by something in Nocturne, too.

So adding to what I said earlier, I wonder if the only way for Gardens' ceiling to outpace Vineyard's is for the player count to be upped to 6. Several advantages there:

- all Victory cards climb to 12 including Gardens itself while Province climbs to 18
- Vineyards actually ironically helps there because it becomes a 12 card Poison pile
- with extra Gardens the Curses allow a net gain of VP: you get 40 more curses which net 8 more points (although admittedly this is peanuts with the scale we're talking)
- the big one is obviously that you double the amount of standard treasure

Ruins tho again works against Gardens since it jumps up to 50 providing 4 extra points per Gardens but 13(!) per Vineyard

(sorry if this is boring to anyone, just love the theory crafting)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I taught someone the hard way today that Overlord is the best Leprechaun.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, I'm really not liking this xpac at all. It's the worst RNG they've ever introduced, which is really counter to the point of Dominion, in the end.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
When you realize how brutally you have hosed up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Toshimo posted:

When you realize how brutally you have hosed up.

I agree, you bought a Village.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Actually, MVP in that deck was "Empty Spot where T2 Mining Village used to be".

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Nocturne rules are up!

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
I hate to be a downer but must admit that having looked at the full card list overall I feel a bit disappointed by Nocturne. Heirlooms are neat and changeling looks interesting but there's nothing else that really grabs me, compared to the mind-blowing excitement that Adventures and Empires brought to the table with the fundamentally game-changing and really cool events and landmarks.

Maybe it's because I wasn't impressed by boons and hexes and seeing cards like +$2, receive a boon, or the half-wharf and half-lighthouse leave me feeling "meh".

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I don't like the boons and hexes. I think the rest is neat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

No real new surprises which is a shame, although I guess the mechanics themselves are wild enough that once you know those you can predict some of the cards. Plus since we had the cool online preview week we had to see a lot of the specialty piles like Boons and Hexes.

Lot more Night cards that gain to hand than I expected, that is cool and will push their use a lot more. Conclave is another card that does the "play an action card from hand that you don't have a copy of in play" trick which is neat. Magic Lamp is another potentially easier (mostly because it is a treasure) way to get some Wishes.

H2Omelon posted:

I hate to be a downer but must admit that having looked at the full card list overall I feel a bit disappointed by Nocturne. Heirlooms are neat and changeling looks interesting but there's nothing else that really grabs me, compared to the mind-blowing excitement that Adventures and Empires brought to the table with the fundamentally game-changing and really cool events and landmarks.

Maybe it's because I wasn't impressed by boons and hexes and seeing cards like +$2, receive a boon, or the half-wharf and half-lighthouse leave me feeling "meh".

I just feel like all the really exciting stuff (in my book: Necromancer, Ghost, some of the more interesting/synergistic Nights) were previewed and played with and there's one or two cards that got my attention but nothing that wows me that we haven't seen. By Contrast Empires had at least Donate and Mountain Pass that were really mind blowing that hadn't been previewed (I went back and checked cause I thought Fortune might've been another release day surprise).

I feel kind of spoiled saying that but it is weird, we knew every single non-supply card except for 2 Heirlooms weeks ago.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nocturne seems a lot like how I feel about Alchemy: a few cards I like, many cards I ignore, some cards I actively hate.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
ugh i wanna shepherd some tunnels so bad

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh little synergy spoiler: Necromancers LOVE Tragic Heroes. They trash themselves when they draw too much and then when they're in there and you necromance them they provide their own payload for the draw (since there's no if clause)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

ugh i wanna shepherd some tunnels so bad

Hey there buddy

Did you take a gander at my new favorite card Night Watchman?

(cause it just allowed me a turn 2 Tunnel discard)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Dominion-theme question: is there a fairy-tale I don't know where a goat eats a pixie?