Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

That's it right? I think we can all agree that the LNP will continue to muck things up, and that's enough to end Turnbull. End Game who becomes PM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrMawW5J6NU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Comstar posted:

End Game who becomes PM?

Dutton will use his security forces to seize power and suspend all democratic processes, becoming presidente for life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman posted:

Wow. Royal Commission not due to massive criminality and fraud but due to bad customer service. gently caress me, these guys are pieces of poo poo.

How much do you want to bet his conversation with the bank included the phrases, "Do you have any idea who I am!" and "You'll regret this!"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
fuark

quote:

George Christensen to go rogue on Malcolm Turnbull

GEORGE Christensen will go rogue in 16 days.

The rebel National MP for Dawson has penned a letter to Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, threatening to cross the floor and vote against an already-wounded government that has lost its majority.

Mr Christensen has given himself a good-behaviour deadline of December 4 and after that he will cause "political damage" to get a commission of inquiry into the banking sector and restore penalty rates --- two issues he has been vocal on since being elected to federal Parliament.

Mr Christensen sent the letter, seen by The Daily Mercury, two days after the government was sent into turmoil by the resignation of MP John Alexander, meaning the Prime Minister had lost his parliamentary majority.

Mr Alexander joined Mr Christensen's mentor, Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, as victims of the dual-citizenship saga, their absence from the House of Representatives leaving the government with just 74 of the 150 seats.

Both are contesting by-elections for their seats, but in the meantime there is a chance Labor and the smaller parties could team-up and cause trouble from November 27 when Parliament returns.

For his good mate and Nationals leader Mr Joyce, Mr Christensen has given the government until after the December 2 New England by-election before he cuts loose.

"You may be aware of the statement I made publicly that I will not do anything which would cause political damage to the Leader of the Nationals, Barnaby Joyce, while he is fighting a by-election," he wrote in the letter.

"What I have not made public is that after the by-election, the situation will be different."

On December 4, Mr Christensen will remove his self-imposed gag order, and with Mr Alexander's by-election not until December 16, it leaves Mr Turnbull vulnerable.

Mr Christensen is demanding a bill that establishes a time-limited commission of inquiry into the banking sector and another which would restore the penalty rates that were cut on June 20.

"My position about crossing the floor on both of these matters is final, and no amount of lobbying or proposal of other policies... will alter my position," he wrote.

It is not the first time the he has used this threat. In June he crossed the floor to vote with Labor on penalty rates but lost by one vote and threatened he would vote against party policy in a bid to establish a banking inquiry in February.

There were also the threats in July last year that he would cross the floor over the Government's plan to alter superannuation. The government reworked its plan to suit him and voted down party lines.

However, the government has not budged on his two latest passions -- punishing banks and giving workers their penalty rates back.

In July, he organised a banking forum in his home town of Mackay where representatives from the four big banks heard the grievances from businesses and home owners who had their loans recalled once the banks became nervous about the state of the local economy.

He also proposed his own bill regarding penalty rates, one which wouldn't strip workers who already received bonuses for working weekends.

"I note that the government is continuing to oppose both the establishment of a royal commission into the banking industry and the restoration of penalty rates," he wrote to the Prime Minister.

And in a prediction of things to come, in the last paragraph Mr Christensen tells the Prime Minister that he would also a support Bob Katter's bill to mandate ethanol in fuel, "depending on the bill".

Queensland National senator Barry O'Sullivan said "there are quite a lot of excited backbenchers in government ranks, who are now contemplating what they may do with serious issues that they want aired and debated in the parliament".

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/george-christensen-to-go-rogue-on-malcolm-turnbull/3268439/

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha this is loving amazing :munch:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
you want more?

quote:

Labor offers to work with Nats to set up banking royal commission

Labor will work with angry Nationals to try to establish a royal commission into banks as the Coalition's junior party seeks to wreak revenge after complaining they were ambushed over same-sex marriage.

As Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull again on Friday ruled out a royal commission, The Australian Financial Review revealed he faces a test of his authority with Nationals MPs planning to copy the tactics used by gay marriage campaigners to gather cross party support for a royal commission bill.

Queensland Nationals senator Barry O'Sullivan is preparing a Private Members Bill and is urging lower house colleague George Christensen to cross the floor with another MP to allow it be introduced and voted on in the House of Representatives, where the Government has lost its majority because of the dual citizenship scandal.

Senator O'Sullivan and other Nationals are on the warpath after Liberal Senator Dean Smith won backing from fellow Liberals, Labor, the Greens and other crossbenchers to introduce a bill to legalise same-sex marriage.

While they are concerned Senator Smith's bill does not have enough religious protections, they are also furious over a perceived snub that Senator Smith did not have the courtesy of consulting them.

They want to channel that rage into trying to set up a royal commission into banks, with revelations the Commonwealth Bank had failed to report 53,000 transactions to AUSTRAC and the National Australia Bank's and ANZ's recent settlement over claims of bank bill rigging adding further fuel to the fire.

Nationals Senator John "Wacka" Williams, a long-time bank critic, said a bill for a royal commission would easily pass the Senate but he had not spoken to Mr Christensen or any other lower house colleagues yet.

"I wish we had done it years ago because it would have headed off a lot of problems," he said.

Opposition financial services spokeswoman Katy Gallagher said Labor would work with Senator O'Sullivan "to deliver majority support in the Senate and across the Parliament" for a royal commission.

"Labor hopes that Senator O'Sullivan is genuine in his support for victims of bad banking conduct and isn't just playing political games with the divisions and dysfunction that are tearing the Turnbull Government apart," she said

"Labor will hold Senator O'Sullivan to account on this. Years of scandals, misconduct, illegal conduct and unethical practices has caused serious harm to banking customers.

"The Nationals talk a lot about their support for a royal commission into Australia's banks. Now they have the opportunity to help deliver one."

But Mr Turnbull said the government had already made "enormous reforms" to clean up the banking and financial services sector, including giving more teeth to the industry regulators and streamlining complaints handling processes.

"We're seeing much greater accountability," he said.

"All of the recommendations that a royal commission would be likely to make are being undertaken now.

"So that is why we have not established a royal commission which, of course, would not compensate anyone."

To introduce a royal commission bill into the lower house, advocates need the support of at least 76 MPs to achieve an absolute majority. That would require at least two Coalition MPs to cross the floor.

However once it was in the house, a bill could be passed with a simple majority. With the government down two MPs because of byelections for Nationals Leader Barnaby Joyce and backbencher John Alexander, Labor and the crossbench outnumber the Coalition 74 votes to 73.

http://www.afr.com/news/labor-offers-to-work-with-nats-to-set-up-banking-royal-commission-20171117-gzni5y

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh also Vic Labor are handing out LDP how to vote cards at the upcoming northcote by election

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Solemn Sloth posted:

Oh also Vic Labor are handing out LDP how to vote cards at the upcoming northcote by election

Wait, why?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is Christenson good now?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Abbot-Turnbull government RIP.

Imagine getting politically destroyed by Christensen, god drat, what a way to go.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mad Katter posted:

Wait, why?

Real politik

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JBP posted:

Is Christenson good now?

He’s bad and he knows it

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Christensen will jump ship to One Nation if he thinks the LNP are hosed. Isn't his seat super marginal on 2PP with the ALP?

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
Sorry, I don't post here much.

Just want to say, tiny bit worried about the Labor Party. This whole thing might have exposed division in the Liberal coalition, sure, but they're actually used to that. They have spent decades being a certain easy level of right wing, while trying to hold back the rabid extremists, and placating them if necessary to win votes. Labor's split is fundamentally different, as it's not on the usual left/right axis. As an ignorant gen-Y millenial, I can't remember the last time Labor was shown to be this divided, at least on social grounds.

It probably and almost certainly won't, but it COULD split the party, if someone really wanted to. Imagine, a 2nd generation citizen, from a conservative background. Worked hard during public school and TAFE, dealt with Centrelink, saw poverty, all classic Labor indicators. But who's parents were strict Christians, or Muslims [or other religious background allegedly associated with social regression]. And so they were indoctrinated against LGBTIQ relationships. Such a demagogue could appear supporting all of Labor's economic policies, but being downright conservative with regard to the social policies, which some electorates clearly seem to favour. Labor had it hard enough with the Catholics. And, as we've seen with Abbott, they didn't quite succeed.

Actually worst that will happen is we'll get a minor fracturing with another minor party or two splinter off. Some sort of progressive economics pro-refugee anti-gay-marriage parties. The ballot sheet will be another nightmare then. Remember to fill in all the boxes!

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Cory Bernadi on "the Jews"

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/nov/16/cory-bernardis-provocative-motions-on-abortion-divide-coalition?CMP=soc_567

The George Soros thing is and neo-nazi dog whistle

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

See this is why everyone in Australia needs to pay close attention to American conservative/far right politics because ALL of their bullshit talking points end up over here.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

IronClaymore posted:

I can't remember the last time Labor was shown to be this divided, at least on social grounds.

Rudd Gillard Rudd

Also just as a note: Only 2 of the actual MPs are divided on this

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

cohsae posted:

See this is why everyone in Australia needs to pay close attention to American conservative/far right politics because ALL of their bullshit talking points end up over here.

It's like clockwork. Only thing funnier would be if they actually paid them for their ideas.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I read a Janet Albrechtsen column and found this:

quote:

Meanwhile, the Liberal Party has ceased working as a liberal party. Inquirer has been told that, on October 25, Scott Morrison spoke to a group of Liberal MPs at a dinner hosted by the Prime Minister at the Lodge where he promoted a proposal to ban all volun­teers from working at polling booths. Faced with the serious problem of union intimidation, ­ the Treasurer said the ageing membership base of the Liberal Party would thank the government for banning volunteers.

The way to boost a waning grassroots Liberal base is not by banning volunteers. Maybe start by fixing the rotten Liberal boroughs in NSW. Nicolle Flint, a highly regarded young conservative MP from South Australia, was seen walking out on Morrison, maybe exasperated with a Liberal government walking away from freedom of political expression. Morrison, whose political compass is surely kaput, has made matters worse recently by bad­mouthing conservative back­benchers for holding him to account over nanny-state policies that once would have emanated only from Labor or the Greens.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I read a Janet Albrechtsen column and found this:

Yessss the stupid must flowwww

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/how-can-we-do-democracy-better-20171117-gznku5.html

This is a terrible unfeasible (financially, and difficulty) idea and jesus gently caress what the actual hell

Also ends with this

quote:

As Australia considers changing its constitution, a reformer and activist, Luca Belgiorno-Nettis, is urging the federal Parliament to make use of another monitory device - the citizens' jury. His organisation, the not-for-profit newDemocracy Foundation, has convened some 25 citizens' juries for local and state governments over the last decade.

Belgiorno-Nettis is a tireless advocate who chiefly funds his foundation with his own money and that of his family, generated through their Transfield group. He is urging Australia to look to Ireland's example for setting up constitutional referendum questions. The Irish use a 99-person citizens' jury, two-thirds regular citizens, one third politicians. With the benefit of expert briefings, they recommend the terms of referenda.

Belgiorno-Nettis says that it increases trust in the referendum question and supports the democratic process. Judicious use of plebiscites and citizens' juries can be a useful adjunct to parliamentary processes. Belgiorno-Nettis poses the big question: "How do we do democracy better?" All of Australia would like to see this question answered.

yes Transfield, the people that run the concentration camps

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hartcher is trash

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Lid posted:

The Irish use a 99-person citizens' jury, two-thirds regular citizens, one third politicians

Doesn't including politicians in a citizens jury kinda miss the whole point of a citizen jury?

We'd be better off just replacing every politician at a federal level with a citizens jury imo. A bunch of randoms of the street couldn't do worse than the current political class.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

who's seat is Bennelong again?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland election: Newspoll marginal seat polling

Numerous new polls, most notably Newspoll marginal seat results that confirm a complicated overall picture.

The Australian has six marginal seat polls from Newspoll, with samples ranging from 504 to 693, producing a mixed bag for all concerned. In descending order of good news for the government:

Mansfield (notional Labor 0.8%):Labor is credited with a 52-48 lead in the seat held by Shadow Attorney-General Ian Walker, which is one of a number of seats they will seemingly need to gain from the LNP in south-eastern Queensland to balance losses elsewhere. Labor leads 40% to 37% on the primary vote, with One Nation on 16% and the Greens on 7%. Oddly, this seat turned up one of the most favourable results on a supplemetary question conerning the Adani coal mine, which was supported by 50% and opposed by 34%.

Whitsunday (LNP 0.6%): A lineball result in 2015 that is projected to be so again this time, with everything depending on the flow of preferences from a third-placed One Nation on 19%. Labor is on 32%, down about four points since 2015, while the LNP is down nearly eleven to 31%, with the Greens steady on 7%. Lineball too on Adani, with 42% supportive and 39% opposed.

Gaven (LNP 2.8%): Another margin-of-error result from an LNP-held marginal seat, with the LNP credited with a lead of 51-49 from primary votes of LNP 50%, Labor 43% and Greens 7%. Adani records 36% support, 38% opposition.

Ipswich West (Labor 9.1%): One Nation gouge the LNP to record 29% of the primary vote, with the LNP’s 17% less than half of what they recorded in 2015. But with Labor’s 45% supplemented by 9% for the Greens, Labor records a comfortable 57-43 lead over One Nation on two-party preferred. Adani is supported by 37%, opposed by 34%.

Bundaberg (Labor 0.5%): The poll finds Labor set to lose Bundaberg to the LNP, the margin in this case being 53-47. The LNP leads 37% to 33% on the primary vote, with preferences from the 21% One Nation vote set to decide the result. This may be a seat where One Nation’s direction of preferences against incumbents may tell against Labor. The Adani question finds 33% supportive, 42% opposed.

Thuringowa (Labor 6.6%): One Nation appears set to poach this Townsville suburbs seat from Labor, skipping ahead of the LNP by 28% to 21% on the primary vote. With Labor’s primary vote at an anaemic 29%, the poll finds One Nation set to mow them down on LNP preferences and win by 54-46. This comes a week after Galaxy found the other Townsville suburbs seat, Mundingburra, flipping from Labor to LNP by a 52-48 margin. Perhaps relatedly, the poll finds emphatic support for Adani, with 52% for and 26% against.

Further poll news:

• The Australia Institute has a statewide ReachTEL poll of 2181 respondents conducted on Monday. True to ReachTEL form, the poll credits the LNP with a 52-48 lead, which more or less inverts what other pollsters are recording. Including a forced response question for the undecided, primary votes are Labor 34.0%, LNP 32.3%, One Nation 17.9%, Greens 8.3% and Katter’s Australian Party, which respondent-allocated One Nation preferences evidently tipping strongly to the LNP. The poll also finds 56.1% support the Premier’s plan to veto a government loan for Adani’s rail line, with 29.7% opposed, and 61.3% saying Tim Nicholls should follow suit, with only 21.3% saying he should promise to pursue the loan, and 6.5% saying he should do neither.

• As reported by Fairfax, a ReachTEL poll for GetUp! finds Shadow Treasurer Scott Emerson struggling to hold the new seat of Maiwar, the tougher nut he has been left to crack after his existing seat of Indooroopilly was abolished in the redistribution. After exclusion of the undecided, primary votes are LNP 46.3%, Labor 30.9% and Greens 19.6%, with the latter’s preferences to Labor securing a dead heat on two-party preferred.

• The Courier-Mail yesterday had results on Adani from a Galaxy poll of “more than 1000 voters from across Queensland”, which is a bit surprising given the lack of voting intention numbers to emerge from the exercise. The poll finds 42% saying Labor’s handling of the issue has made them less likely to vote Labor, for one reason or another, with only 14% for more likely, and 37% for no influence. Forty-seven per cent say it has made them less likely to trust Annastacia Palaszczuk, compared with 15% for more likely and 31% for no influence. Fifty-five per cent opposed the rail line loan proposal, with only 28% in favour.

Other news:

• The Australian has an instructive graphic on the leaders’ movements, which shows Annastacia Palaszczuk has spent over half the campaign north of Gympie, whereas Tim Nicholls has spent nearly three-quarters of his further south. Both leaders have spent more time defending their existing seats over the past week than pursuing seats held by their opponents.

• The 100-strong audience of undecided voters at the Sky News’ three-way leaders forum on Thursday night called an emphatic win for Annastacia Palaszczuk, with 60 saying they would vote for her afterwards compared with 12 for Tim Nicholls and 10 for Steve Dickson, with 18 remaining undecided. Nicholls did particularly badly over his refusal to confirm directly that the LNP might form government with the support of One Nation, presumably inspiring yesterday’s change of tack.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

tithin posted:

who's seat is Bennelong again?

I forget but it was so safe it was Howard's until the 2009?? election or whatever killed the Howard government

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

G-Spot Run posted:

I forget but it was so safe it was Howard's until the 2009?? election or whatever killed the Howard government

John Alexander took the seat from Maxine McKew who took it from Howard. Now he's resigned but will probably get it back again.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
John Howard (Liberal) had Bennelong 1901-2007, then Maxine McKew (Labor) for 2007-2010, then John Alexander (England) 2010-???

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The member for Her Majesty.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

JBP posted:

The member for Her Majesty.

Her majestys member

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I just got harassed about God by a large band of African evangelicals while trying to have a coffee at French Baguette in Footscray.

Immigration was a mistake. Muh right to quiet enjoyment.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Lid posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/how-can-we-do-democracy-better-20171117-gznku5.html

This is a terrible unfeasible (financially, and difficulty) idea and jesus gently caress what the actual hell

Also ends with this

yes Transfield, the people that run the concentration camps

quote:

We heard this again and again this week, from politicians and academic experts. The plebiscite was great.citation needed Now never do it again.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

JBP posted:

I just got harassed about God by a large band of African evangelicals while trying to have a coffee at French Baguette in Footscray.

Immigration was a mistake. Muh right to quiet enjoyment.

It's revenge for all those years of White man's burden.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The longtime bodyguard of the Ibrahims, Semi "Tongan Sam" Ngata, was shot outside the home of John Ibrahim's mother on Friday night as the family made last-minute preparations for a wedding involving the family of former Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/hateful-grubs-are-brazenly-defacing-lgbtqia-street-murals-in-inner-sydney/

oh what the actual gently caress

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, it's blowback time.

The bigots have just been told they're the minority and society has passed their lovely beliefs on by. Now comes a big spike in poo poo like this.

Lot of my friends are being extra careful now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The recurrent hivis outfits are a thing

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Lid posted:

The recurrent hivis outfits are a thing

i wear high vis and i voted yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Romans failed us all by not exterminating the Christians when they had the chance.

• Locked thread