Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Sleekly posted:

These are coming thick and fast now. Phillipines in the 80s this time.

https://twitter.com/wayne2001bc/status/929929884939386884

Will this let me play as Duterte going to war with the cartels? Asking for a friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sleekly posted:

Even though I was only a kid, 10 years old, when all that went down it was pretty big news in Australia. I remember hearing a lot of jokes about Imeldas shoe collection and a weird kinda schizophrenic reaction from our government. I think one side quite liked that dictatorship being there, but i was a kid and not paying attention to this stuff then.

Guarantee you the shoes get a mention on a card!

Oh man I heard stories about her shoes

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

fr0id posted:

Will this let me play as Duterte going to war with the cartels? Asking for a friend.

Theyre going to sell that as an expansion to force you to buy the base game and siphon more cash from you

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Hell yeah. Did anyone say what the sides would be now? Looks kinda like Marcos' government, opposition, and rebels.

I just saw that tweet in isolation. I'm sure more info will bubble up. I'd need to brush up on the history.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

silvergoose posted:

Saw 878 Vikings played at a con and it looked hella cool. Anyone play it? They said it's the best of the academy games...

It is certainly the best of that series of games. It plays like the other Birth of a Nation games but there are a couple key changes to the basic rules as well as some chromey features that make it more of an interesting package that stands out from the rest. Biggest change is that you can only command into an area you have guys in which prevents people from retreat-advancing into empty territory. The British player is spread thin but receives some lovely defenders when attacked while the viking player receives reinforcements at the top of a round in waves. It stands out as being a little more asymmetric which helps it stand above the other games and I feel like the sides are balanced.

Downside is that the components kind of suck. My friend really likes the plastic Risk figures but I'd take cubes any day. The tokens are like tissue paper thin, this coming from a company that produces Conflict of Heroes which has thick as hell cardboard pieces.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I saw the pieces, they did seem flimsy. I suspect you could get a few dozen cubes to spruce it up.

Cool. I might try to get in a game of it next year.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Got my Next War: Poland yesterday! Looking forward to roping my dad into playing it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Got my Next War: Poland yesterday! Looking forward to roping my dad into playing it.

Ooooh where are you?
Thats on its way to me too.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sleekly posted:

Ooooh where are you?
Thats on its way to me too.

Midwest plains state.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

Midwest plains state.

I probably have a week or two still to wait then.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I can't wait to get home, d/l TOAW IV, and start scrolling!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I can't wait to get home, d/l TOAW IV, and start scrolling!

Is that on steam?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Finster Dexter posted:

Is that on steam?
Not yet :(

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what is TOAW IV

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Impermanent posted:

what is TOAW IV

The Operational Art of War 4

from Matrix Games

aaaaaaaand I just realized I posted this to the boardgame thread and I apologize!

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

The Operational Art of War 4

from Matrix Games

aaaaaaaand I just realized I posted this to the boardgame thread and I apologize!

I know this is the board wargames thread, but if I'm interested in PC Wargames - what sould be a good place to start?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tomdidiot posted:

I know this is the board wargames thread, but if I'm interested in PC Wargames - what sould be a good place to start?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543909

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I keep seeing the ad for the space empires PC game whenever I open my SE4x box to clip just a few more counters and I can't help but think who'll play that game when Stellaris is around.

*proceeds to play it in board game form*

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I keep seeing the ad for the space empires PC game whenever I open my SE4x box to clip just a few more counters and I can't help but think who'll play that game when Stellaris is around.

*proceeds to play it in board game form*

I'd be happy to play the boardgame in PC form (no, VASSAL isn't close), but not the actual PC game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sleekly posted:

These are coming thick and fast now. Phillipines in the 80s this time.

https://twitter.com/wayne2001bc/status/929929884939386884

As the resident Filipino, feel free to ask me about the period.

Marcos/government forces are guaranteed to be one faction, and it looks like the reds are the Maoist New People's Army as a second faction, and then yellow is the more moderate Reformist faction.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I have an ASLSK question for any takers. Kind of an etiquette question.

I'm looking at the #KIA and K/# effects.
For the former it says to randomly determine which units cop it and for the latter it says just one random unit gets casualty reduced while the others get varying degrees of crap to deal with.

The random selection bit seems really logical. Vital even to the firefight nature of this thing but how do people usually determine it?

Face to face I think marking the target hex with something and throwing them into a cup and letting the defender draw seems the best bet to me. Letting the defender choose who gets it seems faster but also way less in the spirit of things.

Whats the accepted thing if its a VASSAL email game though?

Edit actually the game would be really annoying in VASSAL unless its playing live with all the interdiction stuff so I probably wouldn't be doing that anyways.

Sleekly fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Nov 17, 2017

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If I'm not mistaken, according to A.9 of the full rules, you roll a d6 for each unit, and whoever is the highest eats it. If two or more units are tied for highest, all of them eat it.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

If I'm not mistaken, according to A.9 of the full rules, you roll a d6 for each unit, and whoever is the highest eats it. If two or more units are tied for highest, all of them eat it.

I like that! I've answered most of my questions searching around the internet and keep brushing up against the full rules vs the SK ones. I gotta get that rulebook.

It seems these starter kit ones really are just a taste.

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003

Sleekly posted:

I probably have a week or two still to wait then.

I'm waiting on this one to arrive also. Given we're both in Aus, we'll hopefully both be seeing this around the same time.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Sleekly posted:

I like that! I've answered most of my questions searching around the internet and keep brushing up against the full rules vs the SK ones. I gotta get that rulebook.

Yep that’s it exactly. If you roll a 1KIA and have a stack of 3 squads, and roll the same number for all three, they all die. Such is war.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sleekly posted:

I have an ASLSK question for any takers. Kind of an etiquette question.

I'm looking at the #KIA and K/# effects.
For the former it says to randomly determine which units cop it and for the latter it says just one random unit gets casualty reduced while the others get varying degrees of crap to deal with.

The random selection bit seems really logical. Vital even to the firefight nature of this thing but how do people usually determine it?

Face to face I think marking the target hex with something and throwing them into a cup and letting the defender draw seems the best bet to me. Letting the defender choose who gets it seems faster but also way less in the spirit of things.

Whats the accepted thing if its a VASSAL email game though?

Edit actually the game would be really annoying in VASSAL unless its playing live with all the interdiction stuff so I probably wouldn't be doing that anyways.

Random selection works as follows: Each unit/counter affected by a random roll has a D6 rolled for it - Highest "loses", ties are shared. If you have 2 squads and a leader, you declare which D6 roll is for which counter. Say you roll a 5 for the leader, 2 for Squad 1, and 5 for Squad 2, both the Leader and Squad 2 are affected.

This can also apply if, say, you get a Critical Hit (Don't worry about what this is, specifically) and you have to roll for Support Weapon destruction. Roll badly/etc and you might end up losing a vital MMG or two.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maaaan solo Cuba Libre as the government is a bitch. I was in position to win by margin and in the last 4 cards the NPC factions smashed me into third place and DR and Syndicate both passed their victory thresholds. (shift each city one step towards neutral! :suicide:)

I have to say it was a cool-looking map, though. I now regret not taking a picture before I packed it up. I wonder how that Cuba would have looked in the long run....

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sleekly posted:

Also yeah, the SK rules are bare-bones, leaving out a lot of special rules, like Lightning Strikes that can send a dude flying 2 hexes away!

"A successful Lightning Strike causes the unit to take a 2TC (3TC if EC is Wet or unit is in a stream/water-obstacle/marsh/flooded-rice-paddy.). A unit which fails this TC by > its ELR suffers Casualty Reduction. Mark any surviving unit with a Lightning Strike counter."

"A SMC which survives his wound severity roll (A17.11) is "blown back" three hexes [EXC: if on a Continuous slope (B.5) downhill, the SMC will roll to the lowest level possible.] Direction is determined as above."

"Due to the SMC's smaller mass, he will have a trajectory elevation of one level, i.e. he will "fly" over a one level obstacle in his path for the first hex crossed, but into a level 2 [or upper building level] obstacle, and stopping at the next obstacle encountered, possibly landing on a roof or in an upper level building (E13.313)."

"Prior to landing, a blown back unit may be attacked as an Aerial target subject to Hazardous movement."

Alright, so Lieutenant Jones just got hit by lightning, passed his survival roll, is sent flying into the air 3 hexes away, can be shot WHILE IN THE AIR, and then land in a water obstacle and drown anyways!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 17, 2017

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Is Divine Right any good? I've been aware of it for decades but now would appreciate it more, I think. I had my girlfriend take a picture of the game shelves at a local Half Price Books and they have it there for either $25 or $75 (pic is blurry).

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

:lol: what if he's on fire and lands in a cornfield thats in season?

I shouldn't have waited so long to try this game!
Is the only difference between the full rules and the pocket edition all the charts?

COOL CORN posted:

Yep that’s it exactly. If you roll a 1KIA and have a stack of 3 squads, and roll the same number for all three, they all die. Such is war.

Ah! This is why I've only seen big stacks accompanied by warnings about how dangerous it is.

unicr0n posted:

I'm waiting on this one to arrive also. Given we're both in Aus, we'll hopefully both be seeing this around the same time.

The map for this one looks really dense. The naval map especially looks manageable compared to the Taiwanese nightmare one (I haven't tried full naval yet, how bad can it be?)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sleekly posted:

Is the only difference between the full rules and the pocket edition all the charts?

He wouldn't be on fire, but if he lands in a burning hex he dies.

"A unit landing in woods, buildings, crags, etc. (see E9.42) must take an immediate NMC; a unit landing in a Blaze, non-frozen Water Obstacle, or flooded stream is eliminated; a unit landing in other non-Open-Ground must take a NTC."

I think so, I don't own any of the pocket editions.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Sleekly posted:

According to B.15.5, The Grain will be kindled on a DR >= 10 or spread from an existing Blaze on a DR >= 6. However, I don't think unarmored units can really catch fire, per se. IIRC, they have to exit a hex that is on fire or just die if they aren't out by end of RtPh or something.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
If he lands on a frozen lake is there a roll to determine if the ice breaks

Is there a weight table with national modifiers to determine how much the leader weights? (Lighter officers fly farther, heavier ones have a change to cause craters upon landing)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Finster Dexter posted:

According to B.15.5, The Grain will be kindled on a DR >= 10 or spread from an existing Blaze on a DR >= 6. However, I don't think unarmored units can really catch fire, per se. IIRC, they have to exit a hex that is on fire or just die if they aren't out by end of RtPh or something.

Correct. Although the grain being on fire wouldn't occur if the leader in this hypothetical lands in it, because the leader isn't on fire. Think of it more like the lightning strike knocks your leader out and landing in water, for example, means he drowns. That's my interpretation for the requirement of a NTC that can result in a pin, anyways.

As for the "catching fire part", you're right. A unit that ends its turn in a blaze is eliminated.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sleekly posted:

AFAIK yes, and depending on exactly how you play you can make do without those anyway.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Obfuscation posted:

If he lands on a frozen lake is there a roll to determine if the ice breaks

Is there a weight table with national modifiers to determine how much the leader weights? (Lighter officers fly farther, heavier ones have a change to cause craters upon landing)

No, that only happens with vehicles over a certain weight limit.

On the plus side:

"Any unit that survives a second Lightning Strike immediately suffers a Berserk result (A15.4)."

"No hex may ever he struck by lightning more than once. Mark each hex struck with a Lightning Strike counter."

"Victory Points amassed by Lightning Strike do not count towards CVP totals. (No one gets credit for an "act of God.")"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

CommonShore posted:

Maaaan solo Cuba Libre as the government is a bitch. I was in position to win by margin and in the last 4 cards the NPC factions smashed me into third place and DR and Syndicate both passed their victory thresholds. (shift each city one step towards neutral! :suicide:)

I have to say it was a cool-looking map, though. I now regret not taking a picture before I packed it up. I wonder how that Cuba would have looked in the long run....

In Cuba Libre Government basically has to win first propaganda or you're hosed. You might manage to pull something off by second prop but really it's a case of win early or not at all.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

AFAIK yes, and depending on exactly how you play you can make do without those anyway.

There are even legends of people who play completely digitally - using VASSAL, an e-rulebook, and a 22 gigabyte folder of scenario scans.

But I wouldn't know anything about that.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Two lightning strikes, holy poo poo.
Well I think that settles that!

SK expansion 1 is coming Monday. I'll play around with the big guns and vehicles for a bit and then dive in the deep end.

The biggest hurdle has been all these acronyms but once those start sinking in it all opens up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

There are even legends of people who play completely digitally - using VASSAL, an e-rulebook, and a 22 gigabyte folder of scenario scans.

But I wouldn't know anything about that.

:ninja: