Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Don't you also get a new version of the Bowser fight?

i unlocked it by getting all the in-kingdom moons

The Kins posted:

Something appears in Mushroom Kingdom that you can interact with to get a little five second cutscene. Nothing gameplay related.

welp guess i'm doing it :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mama mia!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

mandatory lesbian posted:

People who say 64 didn't age well are insane, like yeah the graphics aren't the best but the actual gameplay is rock solid (which i just realized is the exact word choice you used to lol, but its the perfect way to describe it)

The only thing that sucks about 64 is the camera, it's really really bad.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

s.i.r.e. posted:

The Odyssey camera is way more annoying, in my experience. 64 had issues when it wouldn't let me move one direction or another any more, but SMO constantly has me griping about moving a direction I would never want it to go.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah it's pretty rough, especially in more closed levels like Tick Tock Clock. Luckily most of the levels are open enough that you don't have to fiddle with it too much.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah it's pretty rough, especially in more closed levels like Tick Tock Clock. Luckily most of the levels are open enough that you don't have to fiddle with it too much.

I think the only thing that ruined the simplistic and limited camera was the terrible piece of poo poo that is the N64 controller. Some areas the camera is like permanently stuck in a spot and it makes certain jumps require odd angles on the stick. Over all it works well and for Nintendo's first attempt at a 3D platformer they absolutely nailed it; it's astounding that on their first attempt they made the absolute pinnacle of 3D platformer that hasn't been beaten since Odyssey and that took over 20 loving years. I still think Banjo-Kazooie is better, it really refined much of Mario 64's imperfections, while streamlining the experience and adding its own charm but Mario 64 defined the whole god drat genre.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Beat the Darker Side at last. It ends right about at the peak of its difficulty, which I'm glad of. That section with the fog seems impossible to avoid being hit on.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

By the way I did the jump rope moon today, yaaaay!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Is there a mindless way to do the volleyball moon? You know the one I'm talking about.

Or is the answer just sack up and do it?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Drewjitsu posted:

Is there a mindless way to do the volleyball moon? You know the one I'm talking about.

Or is the answer just sack up and do it?

I did what someone suggested in this thread: go into two player mode, park Mario in the corner and just use Cappy. It works WAY better.

Volleyball isn't particularly hard, but the first like 20 or 30 serves go REALLY loving slow so if you mess up later on it takes forever to get back to that point, so it becomes so tedious. A problem that I don't feel the jumprope had (but then again I liked the jumprope). Using just cappy is just way easier when it comes to getting to where the ball lands because his momentum isn't the same. Although there's a bit of panic if the ball goes to where Mario is because Cappy will automatically go back onto Mario's head and there's a small delay before you can get off him again

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of jump-rope and volleyball are those people on the leaderboards with 10k+ scores cheating or did they really do that poo poo for hours and hours?

EDIT: I guess if you got the rhythm down you could do jump-rope while watching TV or something but you have to actually pay attention for volleyball.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Macaluso posted:

I did what someone suggested in this thread: go into two player mode, park Mario in the corner and just use Cappy. It works WAY better.

Volleyball isn't particularly hard, but the first like 20 or 30 serves go REALLY loving slow so if you mess up later on it takes forever to get back to that point, so it becomes so tedious. A problem that I don't feel the jumprope had (but then again I liked the jumprope). Using just cappy is just way easier when it comes to getting to where the ball lands because his momentum isn't the same. Although there's a bit of panic if the ball goes to where Mario is because Cappy will automatically go back onto Mario's head and there's a small delay before you can get off him again

you can take mario off the court and it still counts so long as cappy stays.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

The Odyssey camera is way more annoying, in my experience. 64 had issues when it wouldn't let me move one direction or another any more, but SMO constantly has me griping about moving a direction I would never want it to go.

Tbh I think Odysseys camera is often pretty terrible and probably the games only major weakness. I don't remember having that problem with any other recent Mario games, but the situational awareness in odyssey can be really bad.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I have been 100% clearing the levels in order, just got 500 moons. If i go and beat what it unlocked it doesnt add more moons and stuff to the early levels does it? That would be a pain in the rear end

My only complaint so far is I really hated the deep woods part of the wooded kingdom because I couldn't see poo poo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The only thing that adds moons to worlds is the end credits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

The only thing that adds moons to worlds is the end credits.

Not quite. There's a single set of Moons through several Kingdoms you have to do in order, and one in each Kingdom that can only be obtained through a secret path from another Kingdom.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I just noticed Madame Broodal(the chain chomp one) has jiggle physics :gonk:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

veni veni veni posted:

Tbh I think Odysseys camera is often pretty terrible and probably the games only major weakness. I don't remember having that problem with any other recent Mario games, but the situational awareness in odyssey can be really bad.

Odyssey has the annoying habit of locking the camera all the drat time, and half the time it does it, it's to hide a moon or something behind a wall.

On a lighter note, just managed to one shot the pokey section in Darker Side of the Moon and then finish out the stage. I did die about a dozen times before then though.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
whats the trick of the no hat pow block timer like, city scape thing on the dark side of the moon? i can do the first part by just rolling through it all but on the section with lots of jumps im not even close

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

violent sex idiot posted:

whats the trick of the no hat pow block timer like, city scape thing on the dark side of the moon? i can do the first part by just rolling through it all but on the section with lots of jumps im not even close
Long jump to give yourself speed (you'll land in a running animation) and then triple jump up the steps.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

violent sex idiot posted:

I did it by lining up before the P button and rolling into it, that way I had momentum already when the timer started. From there, every single elevation change needs to be done via jump->dive, always jumping toward the direction of the end goal, and the straight sections need to be done via rolling. It is by far the tightest timed section in the game. You really do have to execute it perfectly.

Also, the most important thing you'll want to know is that there is a point during rolling where pressing the jump button will long jump, but as you lose speed during the roll, the jump button will go back to being a regular jump button, especially when you release the trigger. The best advice I can give for this section is to learn exactly what that transition point is for the jump button going back to being a regular jump, and then jump *immediately* after that. You'll need to be able to do this for the beginning of the timer right after the P button, and the slightly longer sections of concrete most of the way up the stairs.

A single mistake will cost you the run, so if you mess up early, just run back to the bottom and start over to save yourself having to do the beginning section again. I took at least a dozen or so times before I finally got it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 19, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Yeah that challenge is just straight up "get good". I don't mean that in a meme way, I mean you just have to keep doing it over and over until you finally do it just right. Getting that bonus moon felt so good

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreatGreen posted:

I did it by lining up before the P button and rolling into it, that way I had momentum already when the timer started. From there, every single elevation change needs to be done via jump->dive, always jumping toward the direction of the end goal, and the straight sections need to be done via rolling. It is by far the tightest timed section in the game. You really do have to execute it perfectly.

Also, the most important thing you'll want to know is that there is a point during rolling where pressing the jump button will long jump, but as you lose speed during the roll, the jump button will go back to being a regular jump button, especially when you release the trigger. The best advice I can give for this section is to learn exactly what that transition point is for the jump button going back to being a regular jump, and then jump *immediately* after that and go into a dive during that one section where you can't immediately jump->dive onto the next level.

A single mistake will cost you the run, so if you mess up early, just run back to the bottom and start over to save yourself having to do the beginning section again. I took at least a dozen or so times before I finally got it.

The best way to do it (at least how I managed it) is to mix long and triple-jumps. You have to make sure to land your jumps on the platforms and not wind up grabbing a ledge though, or your run is done because of how little time you have.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Post game spoiler question: I just unlocked the Darker Side of the Moon. Should I save that whole course for the last thing I do? Or does it enable another unlock (In the same way that I think that beating the Broodals boss rush enables you to collect moons to go to the darker side of the moon though I suspect I am off base here)

Highest Cactus
Jul 25, 2007

News: Mysterious illegal cookies seized. "Tastes terrible," says police.

Unlucky7 posted:

Post game spoiler question: I just unlocked the Darker Side of the Moon. Should I save that whole course for the last thing I do? Or does it enable another unlock (In the same way that I think that beating the Broodals boss rush enables you to collect moons to go to the darker side of the moon though I suspect I am off base here)

It's just a challenge level, you can do it at any point. There's a multimoon at the end of it, but it doesnt seem to unlock anything else when completed

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Unlucky7 posted:

It's thematically supposed to be the final challenge of the game, but there's nothing stopping you from doing it as soon as you unlock it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I personally would save it only because it does some cute sentimental stuff at the end where it feels like a perfect final thing

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Whereas I got stuck on the area with the forks, couldn't figure out how to time it properly after like ten tries (possibly from playing handheld) and with no ability to recover from a failed try I decided to abuse the flying frog glitch to skip the entire challenge. I know I cheated myself out of at least two more areas of challenge after the forks but I was just growing more and more frustrated from failing when I had mastered all the other areas with only some effort.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Isn’t the fork part just: Fling straight forward every time? That was one of the easiest parts if I remember correctly.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Just realised with the Koopa races that the contestants always finish in the same order (blue = winner, red = second, green = third, purple = last). Subtle but intuitive. I like it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Beat the Darker Side at last. It ends right about at the peak of its difficulty, which I'm glad of. That section with the fog seems impossible to avoid being hit on.

It finally clicked for me to never ever activate the circular laser things and it became easy. Just brush off the spiky dudes with the cap when you need to, they’re more predictable than they seem.

The part with the bird was lame considering it was one try every 10m or so of gameplay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's so easy to cheat at picture match that I think Nintendo did it intentionally.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

RatHat posted:

It's so easy to cheat at picture match that I think Nintendo did it intentionally.

They did it to separate the honorable from the mere worms.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Is there a free life-up heart in Mushroom Kingdom anywhere? Doing the boss rematch fights currently and could use them.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

qbert posted:

Is there a free life-up heart in Mushroom Kingdom anywhere? Doing the boss rematch fights currently and could use them.

The dog can find one, uh, somewhere. Not sure where, but if you find it you can probably find it again and again.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Raise your hand if you did a bunch of unnecessary jumps/wall jumping to get up to the bridge in the lower level of the Snow Kingdom cause you had no idea there was a pole to climb up there

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Raise your hand if you did a bunch of unnecessary jumps/wall jumping to get up to the bridge in the lower level of the Snow Kingdom cause you had no idea there was a pole to climb up there

*raises hand* AFAIK it's part of the route for the speedrun, too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's a fast strat to get up there using the snow cone cart's umbrella, which is in the any% speedrun.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

DoctorWhat posted:

There's a fast strat to get up there using the snow cone cart's umbrella, which is in the any% speedrun.

That's how I did it! I just assumed that's how you were MEANT to get up there cause I just did not see the pole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just beat darker side of the moon finally after a million tries. Is there no real ending or credits or anything? I just got the 3 moons and that was it.

• Locked thread