Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mobby_6kl posted:

So back to square one. Are the Ironwolf drives ok? Backblaze doesn't seem to have those but they're a bit cheaper. Otherwise 4Tb Red or HGST are pretty similar.

Check these posts:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=428#post477818272

I'd stay away from them but I've had trouble with seagate disks in the past. I have a stack of them that died pretty early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Got drives in

How do I know if these are the reds or the other drives?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That is not a Red.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
According to ServeTheHome they are Reds.

They might not work without some fuckery with the SATA pins though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ya found this on a reddit thread

WD80EMAZ (256 MB Cache with Enterprise Sata Connector)
Generic WD White Half Label (similar to WD 10TB design)
Product of Thailand
Confirmed DCM:MGBJRCK
Potential Serial #s: 7SGM...., 7SGN....
Started appearing recently in stores and from a few Bestbuy.com orders, may become more common if WD is in fact attempting to discourage shucking/drive reselling
Same or identical specs as a normal WD Red NAS drive with TLER
Bare drive may require a 3.3v mod applied to the Sata connector or require a molex adapter or some other alteration to spin up

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

bobfather posted:

According to ServeTheHome they are Reds.

They might not work without some fuckery with the SATA pins though.

I just dropped them in my new synology DS416j and they spun right up, configuring it all now.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
WD - Western Digital
80 - 8 TB
E - 3.5" drive
M - WD Branded
A - 5400 RPM
Z - SATA 6GB

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Can a Synology DS1817+ handle transcoding/streaming Plex?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

It's 2.4GHz quad-core Atom C2538, so probably.

Speaking of Synology, does anyone know whether they allow RAID5/RAID6 for BTRFS? Otherwise, you definitely want to avoid that.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Quixzlizx posted:

It can probably do most 720p/1080p stuff but may hiccup/buffer more and definitely won't be doing more than 1 transcode at a time.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Speaking of Synology, does anyone know whether they allow RAID5/RAID6 for BTRFS? Otherwise, you definitely want to avoid that.

They do allow it - I set up btrfs with raid 6 on one of my units. That page says the bug was fixed in early August and I remember I got a special email about it and it was serious looking enough that I actually upgraded the DSM software to fix it.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Apparently the month of November 2017 is when my drives all start to throw errors. Granted they're ranging from 7-10 years old (!) and have proper backups so its not a big deal, but I suppose the timing works out well since sales have been good on HDDs. Yay!....?

If anything its galvanized how long these drives can last with daily usage without crapping out, I know its all anecdotal nonsense but drat, the old WD blacks and reds are pretty great!

Question so this isn't just a personal blog post: do you guys do any pre-clearing testing on HDDs, such as writing zeroes to the drive and then attempting to read it all to find faulty drives before putting them into production?

EDIT: I do the preclearing above, and one time I did get a drive that threw some unrecoverable errors, so i was able to just return it in-store vs it being out of store warranty period, I think its a pretty good idea even for externals.

Minty Swagger fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 13, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah I run mine through DBAN beforehand.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Minty Swagger posted:

Apparently the month of November 2017 is when my drives all start to throw errors. Granted they're ranging from 7-10 years old (!) and have proper backups so its not a big deal, but I suppose the timing works out well since sales have been good on HDDs. Yay!....?

If anything its galvanized how long these drives can last with daily usage without crapping out, I know its all anecdotal nonsense but drat, the old WD blacks and reds are pretty great!

Question so this isn't just a personal blog post: do you guys do any pre-clearing testing on HDDs, such as writing zeroes to the drive and then attempting to read it all to find faulty drives before putting them into production?

EDIT: I do the preclearing above, and one time I did get a drive that threw some unrecoverable errors, so i was able to just return it in-store vs it being out of store warranty period, I think its a pretty good idea even for externals.

yeah i use the unraid preclear script. Takes a long time but its pretty good.

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt
Okay, guys, I need advice. My QNAP 212E is showing a hard drive in trouble. I managed to copy all the data onto a few old drives I had laying around, so I'm safe there. Currently have 2x3TB Seagates, but since I'm running RAID 0 (STUPID, I know) I can't just replace the bad drive. Also, I really dislike the QNAP interface.

In 3 years I only put 2.7TB on my NAS, but I'm thinking of going to a 4-bay for a little more future-proofing. Can I start with 2x4, then add either 2x4 or 2x8 when prices go down and I need the storage?

Or save money and just buy a 2-bay + 2x8, and worry about needing new device further down the road?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eclectic taste posted:

Okay, guys, I need advice. My QNAP 212E is showing a hard drive in trouble. I managed to copy all the data onto a few old drives I had laying around, so I'm safe there. Currently have 2x3TB Seagates, but since I'm running RAID 0 (STUPID, I know) I can't just replace the bad drive. Also, I really dislike the QNAP interface.

In 3 years I only put 2.7TB on my NAS, but I'm thinking of going to a 4-bay for a little more future-proofing. Can I start with 2x4, then add either 2x4 or 2x8 when prices go down and I need the storage?

Or save money and just buy a 2-bay + 2x8, and worry about needing new device further down the road?

What do you intend to rebuild this as? If it's a RAID, you would need to know whether QNAP supports RAID restriping, which I kinda doubt. If it's just a simple spanned disk, then probably.

If you went with RAID, you could buy 3 drives (so 4 total). You would only get 4x the size of your smallest drive (i.e. the 3 TB), but then you could replace it down the road and get the extra size.

I'd suggest getting either a 2-bay or a 4-bay and going with 2x8 in a spanned configuration. But, is there a reason you couldn't do 2x8 in your current QNAP unit?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

eclectic taste posted:

Qnap let you remove a drive gracefully from raid 1,5 or 6 without any mayor issue, with raid0 you are just hosed. You can replace your disks with bigger ones by swapping one drive(use the ui to gracfully remove the drive) at a time and wait for array rebuild, once you have replaced all the drives in the array you can resize it. Go for a intel or amd based model, annapurnas won't let you run vms or transcode media on the nas.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 16, 2017

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt

Paul MaudDib posted:

What do you intend to rebuild this as? If it's a RAID, you would need to know whether QNAP supports RAID restriping, which I kinda doubt. If it's just a simple spanned disk, then probably.

If you went with RAID, you could buy 3 drives (so 4 total). You would only get 4x the size of your smallest drive (i.e. the 3 TB), but then you could replace it down the road and get the extra size.

I'd suggest getting either a 2-bay or a 4-bay and going with 2x8 in a spanned configuration. But, is there a reason you couldn't do 2x8 in your current QNAP unit?

Going to keep using it as a media storage device. Definitely want to get away from RAID-0, now that I see how risky it is. I believe RAID-1 is what I want for minimum redundancy, so each drive mirrors the other. RAID 10 looks intriguing, double the capacity with redundancy, with small risk of losing data if 1 drive dies.

My existing QNAP is entry level, and will not be getting any more firmware updates from qnap. Very slow navigation, and can't run PLEX.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Yeah screw that series. I have a 212P and it's CPU limited to the point where Download Station and Transition can't pull more than 3MB/sec on my 100mbit link.

The Atom based 4 bays are a much better solution

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, I was actually thinking about that. X99 is too much idle power for me after all, I'm thinking about a LGA1151 processor somewhere between a G4560 and a low-end 4C8T. It would be nice to do Emby transcoding all in one box... but the U-NAS NSC810a is small, and that's a lot of heat to be dumping right next to my HDDs, so I don't really know what to do.

U-NAS does make an appropriate mITX mobo under their own name - with a Celeron 3215U, 9 SATA ports, quad Intel NICs, 2x Mini-PCIe, 1x mSATA, and 1 PCIe 2.0x4 slot. Downside would be the pretty pokey processor (which is also an upside in disguise, that's a 15W TDP, it probably pulls less under load than a G4560 would while idling), a lack of expansion capability, and no ECC. That's roughly only as much power as my current Athlon 5350, and I'm not even fully satisfied with that even before I bring ZFS into the mix. It's fine... but it's nothing exceptional either. It would also be nice to have more than 16 GB of RAM for ZFS, although I'm not going to die by any means, and I actually do have some spare DDR3 SODIMMs sitting around...

Or I could go with a G4560, those probably idle down pretty low as well. And if all it's doing is serving ZFS, then I probably don't need that much processor, maybe if the applications were running on a second server a 3215U might be OK? Then I guess I have a second machine for an application server, in a Mini-Box M350 or similar that sits on top of the NAS chassis? That way I'm not dumping all that heat right into my HDDs, and I can go with a cheaper non-ECC processor for crunching video...

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 17, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
If ASrock or someone else decent would finally start cranking out Denverton SOCs in quantity you'd have a solution, but right now your only options are a Gigabyte tech demo crammed with every single feature the platform supports or a Supermicro that looks okay but never seems to be in stock anywhere.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Sidenote: I really doubt a 3215U can support 9 SATA ports natively - what is the SATA controller they on this board? Is it under the heatsink?

e: it's a random Chinese controller, I'd probably pass.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Don Dongington posted:

right now your only options are a Gigabyte tech demo crammed with every single feature the platform supports or a Supermicro that looks okay but never seems to be in stock anywhere.

There are some C2550 and C2750-based solutions. Plus some LGA1151 ones.

On paper Apollo Lake could be a good low power platform but its 2.0x4 bus+PCH speeds crimps performance pretty low. Maybe it would be good for a storage controller for someone like Backblaze with PCIe bifurcation or a bunch of PCie switches to connect a crapton of RAID/SAS controllers for Glacier-like sparse access...

Hey Asrack, how about a J4205d4i? :circlefap:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 17, 2017

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
All Goldmont/Denverton (for instance https://en.wikichip.org/wiki/intel/atom/c3338 ) have a modular SoC interface that can be reconfigured to provide either PCIe lanes, SATA channels(up to ten) or USB ports . Most motherboards makers tend to provide more USB or PCIe lanes tho :(

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

There are some C2550 and C2750-based solutions. Plus some LGA1151 ones.

On paper Apollo Lake could be a good low power platform but its 2.0x4 bus+PCH speeds crimps performance pretty low. Maybe it would be good for a storage controller for someone like Backblaze with PCIe bifurcation or a bunch of PCie switches to connect a crapton of RAID/SAS controllers for Glacier-like sparse access...

Hey Asrack, how about a J4205d4i? :circlefap:

C2000 series is Avaton, C3000 is Denverton; they use entirely different microarchitecture and have a lot of big feature differences.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'm still not used to Athlon being the low-end low-power line from AMD :\

Anyway, I should probably rebuild my NAS and get it off the ten year old dual core Athlon that's been merrily chugging along forever even as drives died out from under it. I'm thinking I should wait and see what happens with Raven Ridge since I won't have time to gently caress with it period until January, but I'm open to suggestions. Main wrinkle is that I have a raid-z with seven disks (and a hot spare - I'm not totally insane) and plugging them all into the board rather than loving with controller cards would be really nice.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mattfl posted:

Got drives in

How do I know if these are the reds or the other drives?

That looks exactly like HGST to my eye. Even better if so!

[edit] It is a WD RED but that actually is HGST:

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 17, 2017

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

redeyes posted:

That looks exactly like HGST to my eye. Even better if so!

Yeah WD owns HGST, they're white-labeled HGST with the 3.3v-line power-cutoff "feature".

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah WD owns HGST, they're white-labeled HGST with the 3.3v-line power-cutoff "feature".
It's a SATA/SAS feature, see https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/HGST-Power-Disable-Pin-TB.pdf

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The first time the factory sent us about 1000 drives that wouldn’t spin up is our systems because of this feature was a fun day.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 19, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I'm having some trouble trying to access a qnap ts-420 that was gifted to me from someone who couldn't get it working. So I'm trying to see if I can get some life out of it but no such luck so far.

It appears 1 of the 4 disks was completely broken. I've removed all partitions from 3 disks with Windows Disk Mangement but the 3rd wouldn't apply any changes to it. I could read it briefly but it gave read errors or just straight up disappeared from Disk Management. I tried EasUS Partition manager which crashed several time and then tried MiniTool Partition Manager which failed when applying the changes too. Scanning the disk gave a report showing that every single sector was damaged. Not sure if that's really the issue, but it clearly has issues and I'll replace it anyways.

When trying to boot the qnap with 3 disks in it, it appears to start, but the status light is flashing red/green and the qnap qfinder program can't find it. I've hooked it up to my router (which is the only dhcpd device in my network) so I assume it's getting its IP address from the same pool as all other devices (10.10.10.0/24 network). The lights on the NIC are green/amber.

I've tried booting both with and without disks, which I found on the QNap Wiki page as mentioned for a complete reinitialization procedure. The machine gives a beep when I power it on, and again after a minutre or 3-5 but the qfinder program will not see it either way. I tried looking in my router (flashed with DD-WRT) but can't seem to find an overview of my DHCP pool. When telnetting to it I can do a cat /proc/net/arp and see the IP addresses that being given out and resolve those to find out which devices are currently connected. The QNap does not seem to be among them.

Do you guys know any thing I could try to revive this NAS or is it messed up beyond repair? ]

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HGST/WD is the only company who implements it on SATA as far as I know.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

HGST/WD is the only company who implements it on SATA as far as I know.

And only recently at that:

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The first time the factory sent us about 1000 drives that wouldn't spin up is our systems because of this feature was a fun day.

I'd rank this "feature" as equally obnoxious as the Ironwolf drives that eliminate the four middle drive mount screw holes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I tracked down one of the few HGST vendors here and ordered a drive a week ago from a city less than 250 miles away and it's still stuck god knows where fuuuuck how is it not deviled next day goddamn it :argh:

Hopefully it won't have this power disable feature at least...

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

LochNessMonster posted:

I'm having some trouble trying to access a qnap ts-420 that was gifted to me from someone who couldn't get it working. So I'm trying to see if I can get some life out of it but no such luck so far.

It appears 1 of the 4 disks was completely broken. I've removed all partitions from 3 disks with Windows Disk Mangement but the 3rd wouldn't apply any changes to it. I could read it briefly but it gave read errors or just straight up disappeared from Disk Management. I tried EasUS Partition manager which crashed several time and then tried MiniTool Partition Manager which failed when applying the changes too. Scanning the disk gave a report showing that every single sector was damaged. Not sure if that's really the issue, but it clearly has issues and I'll replace it anyways.

When trying to boot the qnap with 3 disks in it, it appears to start, but the status light is flashing red/green and the qnap qfinder program can't find it. I've hooked it up to my router (which is the only dhcpd device in my network) so I assume it's getting its IP address from the same pool as all other devices (10.10.10.0/24 network). The lights on the NIC are green/amber.

I've tried booting both with and without disks, which I found on the QNap Wiki page as mentioned for a complete reinitialization procedure. The machine gives a beep when I power it on, and again after a minutre or 3-5 but the qfinder program will not see it either way. I tried looking in my router (flashed with DD-WRT) but can't seem to find an overview of my DHCP pool. When telnetting to it I can do a cat /proc/net/arp and see the IP addresses that being given out and resolve those to find out which devices are currently connected. The QNap does not seem to be among them.

Do you guys know any thing I could try to revive this NAS or is it messed up beyond repair? ]

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/index.html?checking_system_status.htm

According to this, red/green flashing could mean drive formatting, RAID rebuilding, firmware updating, NAS is initializing, or a couple other things, all of which you probably shouldn't interrupt. If it's something like a firmware update or initialization, it probably won't show itself on the network before it's done. Try waiting a little longer - maybe leave it for 10-15 minutes and see if the status light changes.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Main Paineframe posted:

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.1/Home/en/index.html?checking_system_status.htm

According to this, red/green flashing could mean drive formatting, RAID rebuilding, firmware updating, NAS is initializing, or a couple other things, all of which you probably shouldn't interrupt. If it's something like a firmware update or initialization, it probably won't show itself on the network before it's done. Try waiting a little longer - maybe leave it for 10-15 minutes and see if the status light changes.

Thanks for your suggestion and thinking along.

I left it running overnight (without disks) but still the same issue. I think it’s also rebooting regularly because from time to time I hear the start up beeps.

I’ve ran nmap a dozen times as well to see if any new devices could be found but nothing popped up.

I could try leaving it on overnight with disks in it and see what happens after several hours.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
I'm looking to expand my Xpenology beyond my motherboards 6 SATA ports. Would I need to use a SAS or Sata controller card for that? Will both work and expand with my current volume?

eclectic taste
Jun 5, 2004

Future Schmidt

LochNessMonster posted:

Thanks for your suggestion and thinking along.

I left it running overnight (without disks) but still the same issue. I think it’s also rebooting regularly because from time to time I hear the start up beeps.

I’ve ran nmap a dozen times as well to see if any new devices could be found but nothing popped up.

I could try leaving it on overnight with disks in it and see what happens after several hours.

Dumb question, but did you press the reset button (use a paperclip) for more than 10 seconds to reset to factory default? Remove drives and reset. At this point it can't hurt.

EDIT: Also try reinstalling the firmware: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery

eclectic taste fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 21, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

eclectic taste posted:

Dumb question, but did you press the reset button (use a paperclip) for more than 10 seconds to reset to factory default? Remove drives and reset. At this point it can't hurt.

EDIT: Also try reinstalling the firmware: https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery

I haven’t reset it that way yet. I used the procedure mentioned on the wiki by repartioning the drives so I’ll give the paperclip reset a try and else go for the firmware recovery.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Looks for advice/thoughts. Newegg has 4TB Toshiba NAS drives for $110 after promocode and 5TB Desktop drives for $120 after promocode. I plan on using them in a ZFS NAS setup and I'm inclined to go with the 5TB drives for the better $/TB. Should I be concerned about the rating as a "desktop" drive vs. a "NAS" drive?