Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Doh004 posted:

- Flip your steak often, the old rule of only turning it once is bullshit

The main reason I single-flip is it's just easier for approximating your cooking time. If you know that for a given cut thickness that 2 mins per side gets you a good medium rare, flipping it every 30 seconds and loving around with a thermometer just becomes a hassle for no real benefit other than a marginally quicker cooking time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Theophany posted:

The main reason I single-flip is it's just easier for approximating your cooking time. If you know that for a given cut thickness that 2 mins per side gets you a good medium rare, flipping it every 30 seconds and loving around with a thermometer just becomes a hassle for no real benefit other than a marginally quicker cooking time.

If two minutes a side gets you what you want (what are you cooking, a pork chop?) then cook 30 seconds and flip eight times. Though it’s probably easier to do this on a grill admittedly.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
That's the thing, just seems like a load of extra loving around for no real benefit. It's much easier to just put a splatter guard on top of the skillet to keep the upside at temperature and have less clean up from oil splatter.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I mean technically flipping multiple times is gonna end up with a thinner grey strip around the steak, but if I'm dealing with multiple pans or just lazy, flipping once isn't thaaaat much worse of a product in the end.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Sure, it's only marginally better but it's really not "that much extra work", unless you think flipping a single steak is a lot of work.

Also, I would heavily suggest not cooking proteins by time unless you're doing SV or something that's actually precise. Doneness of things like steak is much better done either with a thermometer or just feel.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Yeah those strip steaks I posted back there were about 1.5” thick. I didn’t time them or anything, just went by look, flipping every so often until I had a perfect, brown surface and they were firm as I would like. Then I put them on their ends to sear the fat. The time ended up about 15 minutes total which is pretty standard with a single flip.

I was always a single-flipper but I am now converted. My steaks are consistently better and more evenly cooked. I also find that you never have to worry about charring—many times on a single flip cook, I would end up flipping earlier than I wanted because the fire was simply too hot for the meat, then the whole thing is off anyway.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pollyanna, strip your cast-iron down to bare metal and season. This guide helps with both:

http://www.thekitchn.com/i-seasoned-my-cast-iron-pan-with-flaxseed-oil-and-heres-what-happened-224612

Congrats! Now you can scrub it with soap with impunity.

Flaxseed oil for base seasoning a couple of years ago, cook with sunflower oil has worked absolute wonders for me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Sure, it's only marginally better but it's really not "that much extra work", unless you think flipping a single steak is a lot of work.

Also, I would heavily suggest not cooking proteins by time unless you're doing SV or something that's actually precise. Doneness of things like steak is much better done either with a thermometer or just feel.

Well yeah no poo poo. I don't do steak anymore unless I'm svizzling. I'm just saying, for the new person that is having issues with everything, flipping constantly may be an additional extra step that isn't really needed until he or she gets the basics of cleaning a cast iron pan down first.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Doh004 posted:

Eh, I just figure that if I'm only pan frying, it's usually not a big/effort steak. In those instances where it's a fair sized cut, a reverse sear seems like a better end product.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BrianBoitano posted:

Pollyanna, strip your cast-iron down to bare metal and season. This guide helps with both:

http://www.thekitchn.com/i-seasoned-my-cast-iron-pan-with-flaxseed-oil-and-heres-what-happened-224612

Congrats! Now you can scrub it with soap with impunity.

Flaxseed oil for base seasoning a couple of years ago, cook with sunflower oil has worked absolute wonders for me.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth stripping and reseasoning my 12-inch Lodge skillet or if I should just buy a new one. When I was doing the initial home seasoning I ended up setting it upside down on something that stuck to the edge of the pan, and now it has weird spots that don't really take seasoning there and it bugs me. I don't think it's going to affect the performance of the pan but it might start to rust from there, or at least that's my worry.

On the one hand it's only like $20 to buy a new one but it also seems like a waste to abandon a perfectly functional cast iron over a seasoning fuckup.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth stripping and reseasoning my 12-inch Lodge skillet or if I should just buy a new one. When I was doing the initial home seasoning I ended up setting it upside down on something that stuck to the edge of the pan, and now it has weird spots that don't really take seasoning there and it bugs me. I don't think it's going to affect the performance of the pan but it might start to rust from there, or at least that's my worry.

On the one hand it's only like $20 to buy a new one but it also seems like a waste to abandon a perfectly functional cast iron over a seasoning fuckup.

Just strip and re-season it. You'll have to do a nice seasoning when you get the new one, so time spent is going to be about the same. No reason to give up on an otherwise perfectly fine pan. There are tons of old cast iron pans floating around that need the same thing done to them as this, and it only takes a couple hours to have a really nice seasoning to it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have steel wool, so it's fine - my pan is clean now. I'll re-season it Kenji style :drum:

I don't make steak terrifically often, but I find the pan is pretty great for roasting veggies. I make broccoli, carrots, onions, garlic, etc. in it pretty regularly. That's where most of the olive oil comes from.

I also have trouble finding larger-sized salt grains at my local supermarket...kosher is as big as I can find.

vvv Morton's is the one I typically use, yeah...it could stand to be a bit larger still.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 9, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Morton's kosher is much larger than Diamond Kosher

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Casu Marzu posted:

Well yeah no poo poo. I don't do steak anymore unless I'm svizzling. I'm just saying, for the new person that is having issues with everything, flipping constantly may be an additional extra step that isn't really needed until he or she gets the basics of cleaning a cast iron pan down first.

Yes, my post is directed at the Pollyannas of the world, not the Casu Marzus. And yes, cleaning is definitely step 1.

Theophany posted:

Eh, I just figure that if I'm only pan frying, it's usually not a big/effort steak. In those instances where it's a fair sized cut, a reverse sear seems like a better end product.

Good looking meat.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003
Seasoning the pans-related question:

I have one of those "green gourmet" type ceramic pans that has started to have things stick to it badly after about a year. The manufacturer's leaflet said could be seasoned in the same manner as one does with cast iron; has anybody here re-seasoned a ceramic pan and if so, are there any ceramic-specific quirks I should know about?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
so tonight I decided I wanted to make chicken pie for a boardgame night I'm hosting tomorrow. I don't normally make pie - it's been years since I last tried it out, but I definitely wanted to get it right.

Decided to use the crust from the binging with babish apple pie video

also wanted to make the chicken filling from the serious eats chicken pot pie

It's been a long rear end afternoon, but this turned out pretty good:

of course I can't eat that until tomorrow, but the two turnovers I made out of the leftover filling and scrap dough turned out great too:

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

I baked bread for the first time this week! The no-knead method is so easy, I definitely want to do this every week from now on. The crackling sound of the crust cooling is magical.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Tuesday: Lentil shepherd's pie

Tonight: Tacos with roasted cauliflower, salsa macha, pickled onion, feta & cilantro

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

emotive posted:

Tuesday: Lentil shepherd's pie

Tonight: Tacos with roasted cauliflower, salsa macha, pickled onion, feta & cilantro

Do you have a recipe for that shepherd's pie? I'm assuming it's vegetarian.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

dat crust n crumb....

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Corn Chowder with Shrimp and Pepper.

Cavatappi & Cheese with Pickled Chillies.

Deep pan Pizza with Egg as insisted upon by toddler.

Cob loaf.

Cod And N Triple Cooked Chops, Tartar Sauce, Peas, X Wing.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

emotive posted:

Tonight: Tacos with roasted cauliflower, salsa macha, pickled onion, feta, cilantro & yogurt

gently caress. I thought my tacos looked good.

Maghrebacos. Chicken, onion, goat cheese, harissa, saffron.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

On the subject of steak, here is another strip grilled and flipped repeatedly. Total cooking time 20 minutes. It was goddamn delicious.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Theophany posted:

I always have the best luck with:

NY Strip steak about 1.5"
Salt and pepper about 1hr before cooking and let sit to draw out the moisture.
Pat dry
Get a clean cast iron skillet as hell, no oil.
Sear the fat on the sides for about a minute wherever the fat is thick to get some fat in the pan.
4 minutes first side
3 minutes second side.
Put some caramelized onions on top and rest tented as long as you can stand before attacking the steak and devouring it like an animal.
Serve with no other sides.
Sides are for bitches with a good piece of meat.

For crappy meat, do the same, but soak that mo-fo in worcestershire after and serve with potatoes.

For really crappy meat, sub A-1 and serve with over-easy eggs.

For even worse meat (beaver, nutria, monitor lizard, etc), Ducasse!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

On the subject of steak, here is another strip grilled and flipped repeatedly. Total cooking time 20 minutes. It was goddamn delicious.

If I'm fukkin flipping a steak repeatedly for 20 minutes, I'd expect the sear to be a lot more even than that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

If I'm fukkin flipping a steak repeatedly for 20 minutes, I'd expect the sear to be a lot more even than that.

The flipping was only about 10-12 minutes of it but ok

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mostlygray posted:

I always have the best luck with:

NY Strip steak about 1.5"
Salt and pepper about 1hr before cooking and let sit to draw out the moisture.
Pat dry
Get a clean cast iron skillet as hell, no oil.
Sear the fat on the sides for about a minute wherever the fat is thick to get some fat in the pan.
4 minutes first side
3 minutes second side.
Put some caramelized onions on top and rest tented as long as you can stand before attacking the steak and devouring it like an animal.
Serve with no other sides.
Sides are for bitches with a good piece of meat.

For crappy meat, do the same, but soak that mo-fo in worcestershire after and serve with potatoes.

For really crappy meat, sub A-1 and serve with over-easy eggs.

For even worse meat (beaver, nutria, monitor lizard, etc), Ducasse!

Man, I want me some monitor lizard rn

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The flipping was only about 10-12 minutes of it but ok

If I'm flipping a loving steak constantly for 10-12 minutes, I'd expect a more even sear.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

If I'm flipping a loving steak constantly for 10-12 minutes, I'd expect a more even sear.

You’re right, it’s a fair criticism. I would expect a more even sear no matter how much flipping was happening. Still tasted great and was cooked perfectly throughout, but other steaks done the same way have indeed had a more even sear. I think it was a question of too little charcoal and/or delaying getting the meat on until it had gotten too low.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Supreme pizza night!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That looks pretty amazing

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Yum, man

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Steak and salad.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Steak and salad pt 2

Dek
Dec 19, 2010

It Just Works™
Colita de cuadril a la parrilla.
God, i love meat.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

rest your goddamn meat

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Did a Jambalaya tonight, as always using my boy That Works' recipe from the Cajun/Creole thread.

Was good.

Chicken thighs, chorizo (andouille is non existent here) and jumbo prawns.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I made a bunch of stock today from Thanksgiving leftovers

stock for days

e: it's nothing to look at, but for dinner was turkey pot pie:

it was really tasty though

kumba fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 26, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You should color your veggies for stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:agreed:

This is the ideal turkey stock color. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

3rd quart is in the freezer, couldn't be bothered to go grab it for the photo