Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

but LITTLEJOHN says

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

this owns

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

of course the responses are all boomers talking about how hard they worked and how the young need to learn how to buckle down and anyway it's immigrants fault

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's the mood in the UK right now irt Brexit? Is it anger, stoic resignation, or ThisIsFine.jpg?

It's more like the fey state you'd go into in WW1 where you realise you can't stop the shells from blowing you up so you just march dead eyed across no man's land.

I long ago accepted my generation has no future, I'm just hanging in to eke out whatever small hedonism is left

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
From the dnd thread lol. No deal means a hard Irish border

Bedshaped posted:

Well from a brief look (there's probably better examples), going directly from Monaghan (in the ROI) to Cavan (also in the ROI) means you have to cross the border 4 times:

This journey takes 45~ minutes now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jose posted:

It's amazing that you flew all the way back to England just to end up more boned than you were in that Florida hotel.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/17/sarah-clarke-appointed-to-role-of-black-rod-parliament

quote:

Sarah Clarke becomes first female Black Rod after 669 years

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Misread that as first black female and was confused by the picture

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Vitamin P posted:

For me it feels a bit like sitting in the back of a car being driven quite fast late at night down a quiet dual-carriageway with some mates, but you don't really know the slightly older lads in the front driving the car that well. It's their car and they have a spliff on and a few bumps of bad cocaine but your mates are in the back and you're deciding the music so it's not so bad. You know you're either gonna get stopped by the police or crash soon but because your lot are just swigging some cheap booze, not doing the drugs or driving the car, you have a weird idea that you'll not end up as badly off as they will whatever happens. You know that doesn't make much sense, especially because those lads are gonna come off the carriageway soon heading to a party they swear is real and that will be really good, and so a crash is more and more likely as the journey goes on. So you're making the odd loaded eye contact with a mate and one of you is muttering "gently caress it let's just get out and ring a cab home" even though none of you have enough money for a cab and either way you aren't sure how you'd actually get these lads to even slow the car down. So you just sit back and have another swig and listen to the music and double check your own seatbelt.

Well I think I can safely say we've all been there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

Misread that as first black female and was confused by the picture

https://twitter.com/dril/status/847696440226758657

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

A good headline.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nice

quote:

The ceremony involves the door to the Commons being slammed in Black Rod’s face.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
dick littlejohn

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

This man is in charge of Brexit negotiations:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

UrbicaMortis posted:

This man is in charge of Brexit negotiations:

love deedees

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

troubles 2 electric boogaloo

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Jose posted:

tbf avoiding that section of the border won't make a huge impact on journey times. Ireland's still going to be a pretty small country after brexit

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What's the likelihood that it'll be a "hard" border to satisfy EU requirements, but in practice no one will really give a poo poo? Because it's up to the Irish and Northern Irish to enforce it, and its in their mutual self interest to keep things open

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
yeah germany will def let that happen lol

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What's the likelihood that it'll be a "hard" border to satisfy EU requirements, but in practice no one will really give a poo poo? Because it's up to the Irish and Northern Irish to enforce it, and its in their mutual self interest to keep things open

No NI border means either no border between the EU and UK or a hard border between NI and GB. Pick your poison

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Gum posted:

No NI border means either no border between the EU and UK or a hard border between NI and GB. Pick your poison

westminster doesn’t give a single poo poo about NI so whichever one is more damaging to NI will be what happens

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
someone give me a job in Northern Europe I’ll even learn a language

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

bump_fn posted:

westminster doesn’t give a single poo poo about NI so whichever one is more damaging to NI will be what happens

That would be the NI-GB border. Good luck selling that to the DUP

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
(Not because it would be bad for NI but because loyalists would go apeshit if you had no NI-ROI border but did have one NI-GB)

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
obvs this means ireland will unite, form a union with scotland, and then use the threat of their scottish nuke subs to annex Wangland, creating the "New UK" which will rejoin the EU.

Easy fix.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

maskenfreiheit posted:

obvs this means ireland will unite, form a union with scotland, and then use the threat of their scottish nuke subs to annex Wangland, creating the "New UK" which will rejoin the EU.

Easy fix.
Rejoin the EU? It'd never stop being part of it!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

Easy fix.

Somewhere, the dust that is left of William Wallace's bones manages to get an erection.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Still can't get over B-grade fantasy novel British politics can get

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Kind of messed up to have a woman be the usher of the black rod before they let a black guy be it considering he'd get so much more mileage out of the title.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Make Usher the usher of the black rod.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Rejoin the EU? It'd never stop being part of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7iKrTNX6OE

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Bryter posted:

tbf avoiding that section of the border won't make a huge impact on journey times. Ireland's still going to be a pretty small country after brexit

the transportation part isn't so bad because most irish live in dublin; the biggest consequence will be making it take a bit longer to get to and from Donegal from the capital. the real disaster is that the northern irish economy is heavily dependent on the rest of Ireland. DUP doesnt want a border with GB but their voters still get hosed if the economy collapses so they're stuck.

this is extremely important because the DUP supplies the votes keeping May's government (barely) afloat. in the likely event of a hard border either between Ireland and NI or between NI and GB, the DUP will be forced with an impossible choice:

a)agree, loving over the northern irish economy either moderately (border with GB) or severely (border with Ireland) and massively pissing off either their unionist base (GB) or the catholics (Ireland) possibly causing the good friday deal to collapse.

b) disagree, meaning either the no deal apocalypse and a hard border with Ireland anyway, or May dissolving Parliament and probably losing to corbyn, meaning the DUP just handed the PMship to an IRA sympathiser.

in the aftermath of b), labour gets to deal with trying to piece back together the exploded tory brexit deal months or even weeks before the March 29th 2019 deal-or-no-deal deadline, quite possibly the worst possible outcome for them politically

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Surely Great Britain will be able to use its Power and Clout to bend Ireland to its will in the brexit talks and not be like, totally at its mercy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the transportation part isn't so bad because most irish live in dublin; the biggest consequence will be making it take a bit longer to get to and from Donegal from the capital. the real disaster is that the northern irish economy is heavily dependent on the rest of Ireland. DUP doesnt want a border with GB but their voters still get hosed if the economy collapses so they're stuck.

this is extremely important because the DUP supplies the votes keeping May's government (barely) afloat. in the likely event of a hard border either between Ireland and NI or between NI and GB, the DUP will be forced with an impossible choice:

a)agree, loving over the northern irish economy either moderately (border with GB) or severely (border with Ireland) and massively pissing off either their unionist base (GB) or the catholics (Ireland) possibly causing the good friday deal to collapse.

b) disagree, meaning either the no deal apocalypse and a hard border with Ireland anyway, or May dissolving Parliament and probably losing to corbyn, meaning the DUP just handed the PMship to an IRA sympathiser.

in the aftermath of b), labour gets to deal with trying to piece back together the exploded tory brexit deal months or even weeks before the March 29th 2019 deal-or-no-deal deadline, quite possibly the worst possible outcome for them politically

but the return of the troubles will lead to all sorts of cool black mirror technologies to shock and awe the irish, which will creates jobs

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

basically, the political dynamic is that the party that negotiates brexit is going to both get all the blame for having brexited in the first place and then go on to get force-fed poo poo every day afterwards as the economic effects set in. since, absent unforeseen circumstances, labour is likely to win the next election, this leads to an almost farcical situation where labour has to hope and pray that the conservatives somehow schlep along for a full term so that the tories take the full brunt of the poo poo tornado and then labour can sweep in with a colossal, full-communism-guaranteeing parliamentary majority in the next scheduled election. if the tory government falls soon after brexit, labour isn't as well off long-term because the fallout from brexit lands on them instead. in the worst-case scenario for corbyn, may's government collapses at the eleventh hour and labour is hosed on both ends. they have to actually carry out brexit, betraying their base, and they get the full blame for the damage from brexiters who will accuse them of sabotaging it (the idiots who voted for brexit will believe this)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

maskenfreiheit posted:

but the return of the troubles will lead to all sorts of cool black mirror technologies to shock and awe the irish, which will creates jobs

automation has made the irish obsolete. ELON MUSK DID IT AGAIN

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

automation has made the irish obsolete. ELON MUSK DID IT AGAIN

isn't their main industries tax shelters and guiness

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

maskenfreiheit posted:

isn't their main industries tax shelters and guiness

Also mushrooms but not the exciting kind

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
Richard Leonard (Left-wing, pro-corbyn) has been voted leader of Scottish Labour replacing a centrist who resigned in order to appear of the reality show "I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
This is going to result in David Davis ordering a full military invasion of Ireland as gunboat diplomacy is the only thing he understands