Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Away all Goats posted:

How about a British guy with a mustache?

Superman is still there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh god this movie. Oh god.

Wow.

Um.

oooookay. Okay? Ok. O.K.!

It's very inept. Amateurish. Faulty. Those are the words that immediately come to mind.

There so many moments in here -- so many lines of dialogue, so many scenes, so many things -- that should by all rights be really loving easy to make work. There are portions of this film that are, like, the exact sorts of things that really novice filmmakers would cut their teeth on to make sure they understand the fundamentals of making a not-poo poo movie. These moments I'm talking about are gimmies. They are free bingo spaces. They are coupons handed out at department stores. We're playing on easy mode, here.

And yet, bit by bit by bit, the film doesn't manage to hit even those giant fish in this tiny barrel.

Which is not to say that the film does nothing right. There are good things in here! There's much of it that I enjoy! But to re-paraphrase that MovieBob quote that I really liked from a couple pages back: a bad movie isn't usually bad because there are no good things in it, a bad movie is bad because those good things can't help it.

The scene where Superman returns to life should by all rights be the easiest thing in the world to deliver. But it is, instead, the worst and most ill-conceived part of this film. The League has to fight him, and the fight -- with the exception of one single moment -- is so bad. It starts off when Cyborg inadvertently shoots Superman because his tech registers Superman as a threat, and three other members of the team just...stand there for ten or fifteen seconds while Cyborg's weapon slooowly powers up and he goes "I can't control it!" and they go "Victor! Stop!" and he keeps going "I can't control it!!" and no one makes any move to, like, tackle Vic or block his shot or do anything other than stand in a straight line and shout at each other ineffectually. CGI lips Superman then goes on to defeat the League one by one in a...what I can only describe as a parody-tier production. Imagine the worst, least-effectively-staged action scene you've seen yet in a comic book film and you're about halfway there. How did we go from MoS -- which even I will maintain has the best-looking, most intense comic-book action setpieces of either Marvel or DC to date and the contest isn't close -- to this embarrassment?

(Also gently caress the fact that Superman can overpower and defeat WW so easily. I have no problems with the fact that he's physically stronger than her, but the whole scene just illustrates how she can't match him in any way, which is the total opposite of how their battles should go.)

Now, I will say, there's one single cool part where Superman is able to keep up with the Flash and it's conveyed really well, first with Superman's eyes slowly tracking Barry while he goes into bullet time and then with the two of them going at it while the rest of the League are still "frozen."

I will also say that I quite liked Barry Allen throughout the film and, y'know what yes, I actually liked Cyborg as well. Overall the League interactions are fine with only one or two moments that didn't quite work.

But poo poo, none of that saves this film from just not being done very well. What's weird is that the massive problems I'm seeing here aren't really Snyder's usual sins, and they're also not the sorts of things you'd expect from Whedon either. It's almost as if you can come up with entirely new and unique ways to gently caress up a film when you take two directors that couldn't possibly be any more different and try to mash them together like lettuce on pie.

The editing is even worse than BvS by a grand margin. Scenes cut to other scenes with no rhyme or reason and in too-abrupt or too-labored ways. There are...establishing shots, in a way, but not in any way that actually establishes space or dimension. There's a lengthy scene that takes place in Atlantis but by the end of it I still have no idea what Atlantis looks like. Like it should be a pretty drat big deal that there's an entire magical underwater civilization in the DCEU but I don't get the impression that the film even cares.

Oh also speaking of which Aquaman does not actually talk to or control fish at any point in the film. Seriously? When all is said and done it's frankly really unclear what exactly his powers are other than "is pretty strong."

Overall the action scenes range from "Well this is sort of cool" to "Did they not have time to finish this?" like with the scene I mentioned above.

Man. I obviously have more thoughts and complaints and wild hyperbole but I'm tired and wanna play Overwatch.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

BrianWilly posted:

lettuce on pie

This is a very evocative metaphor and you should be proud of it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

He looks like Eric Trump.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Open Marriage Night posted:

Remember that awesome Justice League story with Steppenwolf as the villain?

They should have used Starro.
Or White Martians

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
JL wasn't nearly as bad as reviews make it out to be. I'd say 6.5/10, or a B-. Action scenes were good enough, plenty of fun banter. Ezra Miller runs like a weirdo though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Ezra Miller runs like a weirdo though.

I only realised this morning on seeing the cast poster that he is back for the Fantastic Beasts sequel, which is confusing to me because I thought his character was killed off in the first one.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

JL wasn't nearly as bad as reviews make it out to be. I'd say 6.5/10, or a B-. Action scenes were good enough, plenty of fun banter. Ezra Miller runs like a weirdo though.

Rhyno I hate to break this to you, but a 65 isn't a B-. The teachers just did that to spare your feelings.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I only realised this morning on seeing the cast poster that he is back for the Fantastic Beasts sequel, which is confusing to me because I thought his character was killed off in the first one.

There's a half-second scene near the end of the film where you see a flickering black mote fly away from his corpse which apparently was supposed to be him escaping per the shooting script.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Rhyno I hate to break this to you, but a 65 isn't a B-. The teachers just did that to spare your feelings.

DON'T JUDGE MY GRADING SCALE.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

achillesforever6 posted:

Or White Martians

After playing Injustice 2 I was actually thinking Brianiac could also work.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Who would have seen this coming last year.

Preview box office numbers:

Thor Ragnarok 14.5 million
Justice League 13 million

Batman vs. Superman did 27 million.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

lomzus posted:

Who would have seen this coming last year.

Preview box office numbers:

Thor Ragnarok 14.5 million
Justice League 13 million

Batman vs. Superman did 27 million.

Really, it's not that I want DC movies to be poo poo and fail miserably, but I am always fascinated to learn what went into the process to cause things to go to poo poo. I guess I like post-portems is all. I like learning about how things work (or don't work, as the case may be).

Still waiting for some good dissections of the DC films though. Maybe one day we'll get a Plinkett review for them.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They haven't done a Plinkett review, but they did a regular review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsrMaxx8N4

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I appreciate how committed Snyder is to an artistic vision that no one else seems to enjoy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm hearing that apparently even Aquaman sucks? That's really fuckin' surprising.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wonder what the dropoff is going to be like. It'll be interesting to see how well the whole rotten tomatoes "reveal" thing protected the initial numbers vs. what the numbers turn into with the word of mouth/36 percent tomatometer

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

They haven't done a Plinkett review, but they did a regular review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGsrMaxx8N4

Oh I know. It's just that HITB is more about initial reaction and commenting on story, whereas Plinkett reviews really dig into the details of what went into making something what it was, which is what I'm really interested in.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Arist posted:

I'm hearing that apparently even Aquaman sucks? That's really fuckin' surprising.

No way, he was a blast.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sam Machekovic said he was the worst part of the movie, but he really hates Aquaman as a character seperate from the movie and is mainly "Why Aquaman's and not Green lantern?"

Maybe that's the review he saw.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that dude is a doofus. Momoa is great and hilarious.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Rhyno posted:

DON'T JUDGE MY GRADING SCALE.

better than Suicide Squad, worse than Wonder Woman, 7 out of 9

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm curious as to how They'll handle superman in the next movie considering it's seems to be clearly established that he's miles above most of the characters and his powers are least the same, if not better, than the other characters established strengths/speciality.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 17, 2017

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The absolute most boring and lovely Superman they could have gone with, huh. Great

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

purple death ray posted:

The absolute most boring and lovely Superman they could have gone with, huh. Great

Yeah thats the worst way they can deal with Superman.

He should not be better then the league combined.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Why even make a Justice League movie if they all look like clowns next to Superman?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah I'm baffled why they wouldn't Have shown stuff like WW giving supes trouble do to her being a better fighter. It would have also been neat to have supes be confused fighting someone like the flash whose faster than he is. It'd also show off how bad rear end the other characters are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You guys are discussing things without context.

when they are fighting the revived Superman he is confused, angry and out of control. The rest of the heroes don't actually want to hurt him so they are restrained and he is not.

Also when they come together as a team at the end they do a pretty good job of showing that they are stronger together and not just stepping aside and letting Superman handle things.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I just think that Superman shouldn't be able to fly as fast as the Flash can run.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

I just think that Superman shouldn't be able to fly as fast as the Flash can run.

Unfortunately for good or ill "Superman and the Flash can have an actual race" is one of the most iconic stories featuring both characters. Even if you push it aside with "those were for charity, Clark" you're not going to be able to escape it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ImpAtom posted:

Unfortunately for good or ill "Superman and the Flash can have an actual race" is one of the most iconic stories featuring both characters. Even if you push it aside with "those were for charity, Clark" you're not going to be able to escape it.

There should literally always be some kind of caveat that the nerds can use to disqualify the race. Like Flash having a sprained ankle, or Supes getting pulled over halfway through the race for FAA violations or just Killer Croc inexplicably ending up as the winner

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of course Superman can fly that fast, one of the things Snyder hyped up about MoS was showing just how goddamned fast Superman is.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What is even the point of The Flash if Supes is just faster than him

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He can time travel.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

What is even the point of The Flash if Supes is just faster than him

The Flash has a bunch of speed tricks Superman can't do thanks to Speed Force basically.

Outside of that, honestly, it's because having two super fast guys is a lot better than having one.

From a character writing perspective the Flash's speed is his defining characteristic and will always dominate stories while that isn't true of Superman, and also Flash gets power ups so often than "is faster than Superman" is a thing.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Maybe it's one of those "Flash is new at being a hero and doesn't know the full extent of his powers" thing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
How is Batman/Bruce Wayne in this movie? My understanding of BvS is that he was a grizzled fed up murderer who wanted to kill Superman over the destruction he causes. Then they stop hating each other become friends and Superman dies.

The trailers for Justice League make it seem like Bruce is SUPER chill now and likes making jokes and poo poo and is basically not at all like the Batman depicted in the last movie. Is it jarring at all? Does Batman have any reservations about Superman coming back? Like "Hey I went through hell trying to kill this guy. Just because our moms share a name doesn't mean I really want him back or anything. I'm still worrying about what he's capable of." Anything like that?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Did you not watch BvS? He has a pretty clear change in attitude and explains it all in the final scenes of the film.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
gently caress it. Scrap this poo poo and start over. Kill everyone, keep cyborg. Replace Batman with Nightwing and do something with the Titans. This version of Barry is basically Kid Flash so he can come if he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Arist posted:

That's not surprising at all, actually.

• Locked thread